GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants...

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 01:14
Sorry guys, I just got back to SF from Ann Arbor. One hectic day of flying, waiting in the airport, twiddling my thumbs. I checked out of Ross around 1 pm and 1 Dan Brown novel later, "touchdown".

Interview was blind, and with Associate Director of Admissions. I will post a detailed de-brief later, but will post questions alone for now so that it helps dosa.

1. Why MBA? Why Now? Why Ross?
2. Difficult situation at work. How did you handle it?
3. Non-performing colleague. How did you handle the situation?
4. What do you do outside of work?
5. Few questions specific to my resume? Whats the project about? This iniatiative sounds interesting? WHat did you do?

All in all was a pleasant interview. I got across what I wanted to say and I think I made a good case for Why MBA and Why Ross. However, tone and delivery could have been better. Being the first interview, I think it wasnt as good as I would have liked. Still, no complaints.

Sorry for the hastily composed post. I am jet lagged right now.

Dosa, all the best for tomorrow. Saurabh and tsaditya, did you have yours yet? All the best to you guys.
Current Student
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 01:46
Hmm .. it appears that your dream school is almost in your grasp now. All the best, prasad!!!
Current Student
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 02:10
I had my interview day before yesterday night on phone. The interviewer was a lady...I could not get her name properly and that is bugging me coz I wanted to send a thank you mail...anyways, I think it went, all considering, pretty well. The questions were pretty standard and I think the clearadmit wiki is a great resource for anyone preparing for an interview. So the questions were mostly expected:
1.) Short term, long term goals, How Ross fits in
2.) Example of team conflict, learnings from the same
3.) How do I feel about managing vendors instead of direct reportees
4.) Contribution to Ross - this I think I messed up a little
5.) Clubs and rest

I think I did manage to say most of the things that I wanted to say by fitting in with the rest of the answers. I was more prepared for a walkthrough of my resume but that didnt happen.

I ended up asking about the subprime crisis and do they foresee any effect on hiring in future. Pretty lame question, but relevant coz I am going to invest a lot of my money and time and I needed some re assurance.

That was pretty much it. the interview lasted exactly 29 minutes. Lets see what happens.
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 02:36
My interview is tonight...so will post you guys after that.
Manager
Manager
Finished Interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 09:43
I just got off the phone for the Ross interview. My interviewer was a member of the admissions committee. Overall I would rate the interview 6/10. I think i messed up the part where I was describing a project at work. I think I was a bit too technical using words like design and implementation. Hope that doesnt go against me. I did ok on the Why MBA? Why Ross? question. Some of the other questions I was asked about was Conflict with Colleague, Teamwork ,Leadership & Initiative at Work, Things I do outside work. Overall I think I presented a well rounded picture of my candidacy. Only thing I am worried about is the interview lasted about 23-24 minutes. Should I have said something more.

I only asked her two questions
1. What for her was the standout factor when considering Ross MBA program
2. Will the new building be ready in time for next batch

Anyways its over and nothing can be done about it. Lets hope for the best and the rest is left to God.
Current Student
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 10:48
Hey aditya- was your interviewer a student or a member of the adcom?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 10:49
Thanks ncprasad, saurabh, aditya for sharing your interview experiences.

Good luck. I am sure you will sport the big "M" logos in your profiles, after decisions are out.
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 11:10
Was interviewed by a member of adcom.

Btw Any idea if they release all decisions on one day or is it rolling.
SVP
SVP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 11:14
All decisions are released on the same day. But, traditionally, ad-com begins calling admits 2-3 days before the deadline. This does not mean that you are dinged if you dont receive a call. Several people who got in last year got their call after the decisions were released online.

I believe this is the last week of interviews. The real wait starts now.

All the best everyone!

tsaditya wrote:
Was interviewed by a member of adcom.

Btw Any idea if they release all decisions on one day or is it rolling.
SVP
SVP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Dec 2007, 11:35
Thanks nervous and clobo. My interview went decent. I dont think it was great, but I also dont think that I screwed up. The interviewer was very nice. She really made an effort to make me comfortable.

Now that the interview is over, I am questioning my responses and feel like I did not do as well as I could have. I keep second-guessing and feel that I did not answer the questions she asked at all. I rambled on and on while answering a couple of questions and constantly jumped from one point to another coz I had so much to share about Ross.

All in all, I would rate this as a reasonably good performance. Neither stellar nor horrible.

Oh, I sent the interviewer a thank you note and received a nice response.

nervousgmat wrote:
clobo wrote:
nc, dosa, et al, Good luck on all your interviews this week. Let us know how things go.

nc, so how did it go???
I've been keepin my fingers crossed for ya all day (ok, I am exaggerating a little but I really hope you did well)!

Originally posted by ncp on 19 Dec 2007, 11:22.
Last edited by ncp on 19 Dec 2007, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 11:25
nc, if you look back at my interview debrief and nervous's as well, you'll see that we felt the same way. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I am pretty sure the decisions are released on one day.
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 12:04
All the best guys :)
Current Student
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 13:58
Just got off the phone for my interview and I dont think I did well at all- I would say 5/10 (being generous) :(

Was with an adcomm member- standard questions- why mba- why ross- what do i do on a daily basis team work, failure, conflict etc.

Dont think I spent enough time on each question- sort of hurried through my answers. Spoke about 2-3 different things about why ross while I had a whole bunch to talk about. Even the examples that I spoke about in the failure/conflict situations thingy were kind of weak I guess. His questions lasted exactly 16-17 minutes. I then asked him some questions and threw in a few more things that I realized I had missed earlier. Still, I think the damage was done...

Oh well less than a month to go for the decision :(
VP
VP
Reviews Badge
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 14:16
dosa_don wrote:
Just got off the phone for my interview and I dont think I did well at all- I would say 5/10 (being generous) :(

Was with an adcomm member- standard questions- why mba- why ross- what do i do on a daily basis team work, failure, conflict etc.

Dont think I spent enough time on each question- sort of hurried through my answers. Spoke about 2-3 different things about why ross while I had a whole bunch to talk about. Even the examples that I spoke about in the failure/conflict situations thingy were kind of weak I guess. His questions lasted exactly 16-17 minutes. I then asked him some questions and threw in a few more things that I realized I had missed earlier. Still, I think the damage was done...

dosa,

As you've witnessed, all of the interview reviews posted on this forum were at best neutral. All we can do is hope for the best.

1 month to go...
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 14:17
nervousgmat wrote:

1 month to go...

Ugh.
Current Student
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 14:26
Well in the end, my interviewer said- 'atleast you dont have to wait long for a decision' ...but its still like 3+ weeks more. I think last year, they started announcing results on Jan11th or so--3-4 days before the deadline.

nervousgmat wrote:
dosa_don wrote:

dosa,

As you've witnessed, all of the interview reviews posted on this forum were at best neutral. All we can do is hope for the best.

1 month to go...
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2007, 19:41
Lets hope for some love from Michigan for Indians.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2007, 08:29
Don't worry too much Dosa. I just finished my interview and it lasted only about 15 minutes for questions - 20 minutes total. My interviewer actually told me that I gave really short, succinct answers which he wasn't used to. He said most people are really long-winded.

I interviewed with an admissions officer who was very friendly and did his undergrad at Michigan. He asked: why mba, why Ross, how deal with non-performing team member, something about working in a team, greatest disappointment and achievment, what did I wish he had asked?

I totally understand how everyone feels lukewarm at best about their interview. I feel like I did okay, but not great. I think I did well on why MBA/why Ross, but think some of my team answeres were kind of short and could have used mroe detail. Oh well, what can you do. Here's to hoping everyone here gets admits on January 15th!

Happy Holiday!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2007, 08:45
Interviews aren't all that important. They are more of a check to see if you are human and its hard to sway their decision one way or the other based on 45 minutes of talking.

I felt my Kellogg interview went horribly. Didn't connect with the alum, he was a very nice guy but his background was so different than mine we couldn't really relate. I spent half the time explaining what I do as an engineer.

My Chicago interview was the complete opposite of Kellogg. He was a former engineer, related very well. Heck it lasted two hours and went about as good as an interview could.

If interviews were extremely important then I dont get my results. Kellogg = admit Chicago = ding. Personally I wouldnt put to much stock in an interview that didnt go great. As long as you dont bomb it by talking about your love for other schools and how they are your safety, dont say anything racist or sexist, swear every other word, show up in cut off jeans, a wife beater, and sporting a mullet, or some other extreme then you are going to be ok.
Current Student
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2007, 09:02
sporting a mullet--I thought that was cool :)

Thanks for the feedback skaballet and river. Actually I am over it now and frankly- I think I did fine now, just the initial jitters after an interview.

And river- your experience definitely highlights the fact that an interview is just that- another data point.

riverripper wrote:
Interviews aren't all that important. They are more of a check to see if you are human and its hard to sway their decision one way or the other based on 45 minutes of talking.

I felt my Kellogg interview went horribly. Didn't connect with the alum, he was a very nice guy but his background was so different than mine we couldn't really relate. I spent half the time explaining what I do as an engineer.

My Chicago interview was the complete opposite of Kellogg. He was a former engineer, related very well. Heck it lasted two hours and went about as good as an interview could.

If interviews were extremely important then I dont get my results. Kellogg = admit Chicago = ding. Personally I wouldnt put to much stock in an interview that didnt go great. As long as you dont bomb it by talking about your love for other schools and how they are your safety, dont say anything racist or sexist, swear every other word, show up in cut off jeans, a wife beater, and sporting a mullet, or some other extreme then you are going to be ok.
&nbs [#permalink] 21 Dec 2007, 09:02

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  22   23   24   25   26  ...  104    Next  [ 2061 posts ] 

Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants...

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap