Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 04:58 It is currently 14 May 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Calling all CBS deferred ED applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
futurestrategist wrote:
Although an odd question, but did any male deferred ED applicant get off the list? :P

hmm yes, interesting observation. although given the reason we were all deferred in the first place was to get a better sense of the applicant pool to address how we fit in demographically, not that surprising. makes sense though that they would look first to fill slots based on things like gender, international, ethnic etc. before moving on to add diversity to the class by industry, work experience, profession etc.

this is all rampant speculation. but i just feel like on feb 1st, most of us will prob just asked to be on the official waitlist. this may be some type of freudian thing tho where i now associate cbs with "waitlist" haha. but we've come this far right guys, cant give up hope now...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
msbroker wrote:
this is all rampant speculation. but i just feel like on feb 1st, most of us will prob just asked to be on the official waitlist. this may be some type of freudian thing tho where i now associate cbs with "waitlist" haha. but we've come this far right guys, cant give up hope now...

Let's hope that isn't true! I think that would be a particularly harsh way to treat a group of candidates who demonstrated such a strong commitment to the school. I'm already a bit unimpressed that CBS thinks it is appropriate to defer early decision applicants - there's nothing "early" about making applicants wait in excess of five months for a decision (especially when so many RD applicants are receiving offers), and I'd be pretty upset if I was asked to keep waiting at this stage in the process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I totally agree with you!

I think it is not right to keep people waiting for so long. I guess it is all because of the rolling admission method...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
yea i hear you guys. waiting def sucks. but i suppose it's not unprecedented in the bschool app process...some of my friends who applied rd 1 back in early oct who were waitlisted wont hear decisions i think til like mid march i think. still tho would blow to be wl'ed again...but really, would u guys prefer to get dinged and just be done with it??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Here's the email:

Thank you for applying to Columbia Business School. After careful review and consideration by the Admissions Committee, we are unable to offer you admission. We are sorry to disappoint you, but the number of qualified applicants who applied for admission makes this situation inevitable.

We did not make this decision easily. We appreciate the time and effort you spent preparing your application and your interest in Columbia Business School. While it is never pleasant to receive disappointing news, we hope that you will find other ways to achieve your professional goals.

Thank you again for your interest to Columbia Business School. We wish you much success in your future endeavors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
california1 wrote:
I got deferred around December 10th

Thanks. Been waiting since 1st week of October...I can't wait for Feb 1. No matter the outcome, I just want to know and move on with my life. CBS is my last school, been dinged / W/L everywhere else.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
osbornecox wrote:
carriedinterest wrote:
I also got a ding email (looks like they're cleaning house today). They suggested that I apply to the EMBA program, which makes me wonder whether they actually read my essays(!). I was very clear that I am looking to change career tracks, and clearly outlined the reasons why I need a full-time MBA to achieve my goals.

On the bright side, the deferral period gave me a chance to look into other schools and led me to the realization that CBS probably wasn't the best fit for me. I'm looking forward to the next couple of months and doing my best to remain optimistic about my prospects for admission elsewhere.

Best of luck to you all with your other apps. I'd genuinely like to know how things turn out, so do keep me posted!

Hi folks, same here, basically, except without the EMBA.

Like you, I realized, after applying, that it wasn't the best fit. The alumnus I interviewed with was rude and hostile, as was the adcom member who interviewed me later on. Both gave me a very poor impression of the school, which I will carry with me.

It's all for the better.

To me, the fact that it took them 5 months to give us a response, significantly changed my view about the school, especially about the importance the admin office gives to our time and piece of mind. But anyway, since it was the first school I applied to, the experience learned (resume, essays, interviews, etc) has helped me a lot on my other applications. Best of luck to all of you!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
MCE7 wrote:
If I may ask - what exactly goes in such a letter? I think most of us got our interview in November, so aside from Bonus amount, what could be new? I did send an email with updated gmat....

I know someone who is a CBS alum and asked him the same question. He said that it will be a good idea to carefully analyze your application and see where you feel the weak points are and address them. Mention some stuff that you have done to make up for those weak areas and re-iterate your commitment to CBS.

I was lucky that this person was willing to go over my application and provide feedback on where he thought I could work on.

Hope this helps and best of luck to all of us. It's been a long wait and getting more intense everyday.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Count me in! Have you guys heard anything recently from CBS AdCom? ClearAdmit Wiki says they are evaluating us on a weekly basis...
Current Student
Send PM
I heard the same. From the official CBS thread, it looks like two people received decisions last Friday. I sent a significant update to the adcom earlier this week, and have been staring at my phone all day...
Current Student
Send PM
carriedinterest wrote:
I heard the same. From the official CBS thread, it looks like two people received decisions last Friday. I sent a significant update to the adcom earlier this week, and have been staring at my phone all day...

Cool. Best of luck to both of us. Here's hoping that we both get in!
Current Student
Send PM
How did your follow-up interview go? If you don't mind sharing, what kinds of questions did they ask you?

Totally understand where you're coming from...literally finding it impossible to concentrate on anything else!
Current Student
Send PM
That sounds promising! Based on what I've read in the main CBS thread, the success rate after a follow-up interview is very high. It sounds like you've got somebody rooting for you internally, so I'd take that as an extremely positive sign.

Really hoping for some news today. The thought of waiting until February 1st is torturous. What counts as "soon" to the adcom feels like an eternity to us applicants...
Current Student
Send PM
cidneymba2011 wrote:
The interview went really well. The woman I spoke with was easy going, turns out she and I both ran the NYC marathon this year which was a great topic for conversation! The discussion overall was very relaxed. We hit some great points about my work experience, my interest in getting an MBA, my career goals, what I loved about Columbia, my visit to campus etc. It was much more of a casual chat than a formal interview.

At the end, she gave me the same shpeel that we got in the deferred letter, outlining the various ways we can show our continued commitment to CBS - visit the campus (which I did back in November), re-take the GMAT, or write them another essay to expand on any updates or areas that weren't covered in my application. I had already written a follow up essay after having received the deferral so I'm covered there as well.

She seemed really upbeat in her follow up email after the phone call (yes, she emailed ME first after we got off the phone) and said "You can expect to hear from us soon." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!

All my friends are telling me to STOP OBSESSING, but I tell you... I just can't.

I tell you, AdComs love playing mind games and get a great kick from our reactions. :) All we can do is just sit tight and pray lady luck is on our side.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I'm also a deferred ED applicant. Do any of you know if someone from the deferred list had been accepted?
Current Student
Send PM
california1 wrote:
I'm also a deferred ED applicant. Do any of you know if someone from the deferred list had been accepted?

i believe princessneha and another female applicant (can't recall the name right now) on the main CBS thread were accepted recently.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
josiebella got in by calling the admissions office. HA.

Not that I'm bitter about it or anything :|
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts