Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:23 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
carriedinterest wrote:
Any current students mind sharing the model / make of your SOM-issued laptop? I'm trying to decide whether to sell my current laptop. Thanks.

Class of 2011 laptop is Dell e6400, preconfigured with our Yale SOM image. Specs: 3GB Memory, 160GB Harddrive, web camera, bluetooth, etc. Comes pre-loaded with various applications that you will need for bschool.

Having said that, I only use it if I need to use certain applications that comes with the YSOM laptop. (I posted a picture somewhere awhile ago, how I use it as paper weight. Laptop itself is pretty good. I just prefer lighter laptop with longer lasting battery) I went to bschool with a Vaio TT series and after it broke down, I replaced it with Thinkpad X series. I also received iPad 1 for Xmas gift last yr so I carry either the iPad or the Thinkpad on campus.

Macs are also popular on campus. So you don't have to buy a new laptop just for bschool.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
wisco wrote:
Usually people have some level of savings to cover the living expense. You first year's internship probably is enough to cover the second year's living expense. Therefore, probably you just need to borrow two years' tuition.

Actually, the cost that you will incur during the internship (temporary housing, cost of living, etc) is quite significant, depending on where you will be doing your internship. If you end up doing it in NYC, Boston, or other big cities.....it can really add up in terms of cost.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Columbia ED (Deferred), Yale SOM (Accepted), Stern (WL), Tuck, Wharton (Ding)
Send PM
Nink,

Can you suggest any nice hotels near campus for the Welcome Weekend? Im coming with my wife, so I cant take advantage of the free option of staying with a current student.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
DayZBanker wrote:
Nink,

Can you suggest any nice hotels near campus for the Welcome Weekend? Im coming with my wife, so I cant take advantage of the free option of staying with a current student.

I stayed at Marriott 2 yrs ago. It's Marriott, so nothing fancy but I had enough hotel pts, so I didn't end up paying anything.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/h ... n-at-yale/

It's a popular option for a lot of the visitors. The other popular options are:

1) Omni New Haven - either a hit or miss, depending on the person.

2) Premiere Hotel & Suites - probably good option if you have pets

3) New Haven Hotel - another hit or miss

4) The Study at Yale - boutique fancy. never stayed there but a lot of people said nice things about this place. It's also more young and hip, if that's your thing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
i've got a R3 skype video conf interview coming up. any tips/suggestions?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Not only is it Bulldog Days, but there's also a massive health conference taking place in NH that weekend. I literally can't find a place to stay! Leaning towards renting a car and staying somewhere outside of town.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
If you guys have a car, try West Haven (closer to University of New Haven)

Courtyard Marriott
136 Marsh Hill Road
Orange, CT
203-799-2200
www.marriott.com

Hampton Inn Milford
129 Plains Road
Milford, CT
203-874-4400
www.hamptoninn.com

Springhill Suites by Marriott
50 Rowe Avenue
Milford, CT
www.marriott.com/BDRSH

Residence Inn by Marriott
62 Rowe Avenue
Milford, CT
www.marriott.com/BDRRI

Holiday Inn
201 Washington Avenue
North Haven, CT
203-239-6700
www.holidayinn.com

Hyatt Place
190 Old Gate Lane
Milford, CT 06460
203-877-9800
www.hyatt.com

Hampton Inn & Suites
510 Saw Mill Road
West Haven, CT 06516
203-932-0404
www.hamptoninn.com

Best Western Executive Hotel
490 Saw Mill Road
West Haven, CT 06516
203-933-0344
www.bestwestern.com
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
wisco wrote:
MellowFellow wrote:
Since I now know I am scholarship-less, can I ask a maybe-dumb question?

I don't understand how the average debt of graduates (according to us news) is under $100,000, if the total cost of attending yale is over $75,000 per year (with room and board). Are people bringing that much savings from their previous jobs? I'm coming from the non-profit sector, and I won't be putting a dent in my financial burden with my savings. I am excited about b school, but I am intimidated at the whole prospect of going so far in debt.

One other quick question: Does anyone have details about welcome weekend? I can't find a schedule online...is it more informal than I am imagining? I ask because I wouldn't be able to get there until sort of late Friday night, and want to be sure it is worth the trouble for whatever is going on Saturday.

Thanks!

Usually people have some level of savings to cover the living expense. You first year's internship probably is enough to cover the second year's living expense. Therefore, probably you just need to borrow two years' tuition.

They have also allocated $8000 of the budget to personal expenses. I'd be shocked if any other school was close. The gov has to match what Yale says (if you quality for directplus, which I've heard you need literally poor credit to not get), so you can get that $8000 if you want but if you think $16k over two years is silly, don't take it! I think it comes down to $600 wasted on entertainment, clothing, etc. per MONTH and then you still have a few grand for a plane ticket for the int'l experience. That's not even part of the food/rent/utilities bucket. Maybe someone can clear this up but I thought the loan was deposited lump sum into your checking and you had to pay the school. Unless you're flying business, that $8000 can be stretched lightyears. Again, you could borrow it, then after the first year just lock it away and the moment you graduate pay it back. You have to apply or aid each year so the next year just don't take it. Then again maybe there are early payment penalties though - I just filed my taxes yesterday so I'm a bit behind. All I know is, I will be in a ton of debt afterwards. Being in debt is highly underrated!! (jk) Good news is student debt doesn't negatively affect your credit score. Speaking only from experience, I have plenty from undergrad still and my credit score is not bad at all despite the looming 5 figures.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nink wrote:
misterxt wrote:
i've got a R3 skype video conf interview coming up. any tips/suggestions?

Make sure your internet connection is stable. One time I went on a business trip to India and the rented cellphone did not have coverage in the area. Had to go to a hotel and rent their conference video/call facility and it cost me a fortune. (well, it cost my company a fortune) But the quality of the call and the video was not too good.

Also, dress properly. Prepare for the interview like you are prepared for an actual in person interview.

Thanks, nink! Think I could wear basketball shorts with my tie and jacket?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Yale School of Management '13
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 7 years in Software Development
Send PM
A question on the tuition expenses. The SOM website specifies the tuition + fees to be $53,900 for the first year. It also says that "† Tuition and Fees include the International Experience, student activity fee, and an SOM program laptop."
I take that to mean that we dont have to pay extra for the laptop. But I dint get what part of the International experience is included in the tuition expenses. Nink, can you help out here?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
btk wrote:
Hi there -
People get scholarships on their own, especially in the second year there are many opportunities that open up from what I've found out. Also there is the TA opportunities and the loan forgiveness program.

You mean to say that Yale SOM gives out scholarships in the second year too?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
anudada wrote:
A question on the tuition expenses. The SOM website specifies the tuition + fees to be $53,900 for the first year. It also says that "† Tuition and Fees include the International Experience, student activity fee, and an SOM program laptop."
I take that to mean that we dont have to pay extra for the laptop. But I dint get what part of the International experience is included in the tuition expenses. Nink, can you help out here?

everything but the flight?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
anudada wrote:

Laptop is included. Technically, you are paying for it but it's issued to all incoming students. (I kinda convinced myself that it's like buying a textbook, except it's way more expensive and they are buying it for me.....)

Think of cost of International Experience as paying for another class in your 1st yr curriculum. Actually, it is part of the curriculum. It's not simply a trip that you will be taking with your classmates. It's also a learning experience with one of your professor and his/her contacts as tour guide.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
nink wrote:
Think of cost of International Experience as paying for another class in your 1st yr curriculum. Actually, it is part of the curriculum. It's not simply a trip that you will be taking with your classmates. It's also a learning experience with one of your professor and his/her contacts as tour guide.

So we would need to pay for the tickets and stay part of it(basically the whole trip)? And what is included in the tuition expenses is the cost of the class itself? Just trying to get a better idea.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
anudada wrote:
So we would need to pay for the tickets and stay part of it(basically the whole trip)? And what is included in the tuition expenses is the cost of the class itself? Just trying to get a better idea.

That published budget is for "borrowing" purposes.

Students will pay for their travel and other expenses associated with the International Experience. For financial aid purposes, the student budget is readjusted to reflect "International Experience" element, and the entire cost can be financed through incremental loans.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
nink wrote:
anudada wrote:

Laptop is included. Technically, you are paying for it but it's issued to all incoming students. (I kinda convinced myself that it's like buying a textbook, except it's way more expensive and they are buying it for me.....)

Damn, I purchased an HP deal two month's ago and now installed many software from Yale IT through activated Yale NetID. Can I use my own laptop and lower that total tuition expense? Or probably I have to use my own as a backup laptop.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
wisco wrote:
Damn, I purchased an HP deal two month's ago and now installed many software from Yale IT through activated Yale NetID. Can I use my own laptop and lower that total tuition expense? Or probably I have to use my own as a backup laptop.

I think people in my class asked this 2 yrs ago and YSOM told them that isn't possible. You will probably use your HP as backup (like I do...but in my case, YSOM laptop is the backup). It sucks paying for the laptop that you might not need but that's the policy. :?

btw - are you coming to YSOM? Can I mark you BLUE on the roll call pg? I think you are #14 from R1, matriculating.....
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  92   93   94   95   96  ...  101   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts