Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Tech Strategy/Marketing
Schools:UCLA Anderson 2011
 Q49  V48
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
kcbear wrote:
Hello!

I'm in for Rd 2, and I plan to visit Kellogg this Friday - Nov 8. (I'm coming from California). I checked out the school Website for visitor's info, and it seems that there's no sign-up or anything for class visits. Can anyone suggest a good way to utilize my day on campus? Any particular class that I should try to sit in on? I can commit pretty much all of Friday to visiting Kellogg.

BTW, I'm pursuing general management.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I also visited Kellogg on a Friday. It's very informal. Just go to the office and and sign up when you get there. You can do a morning class, an afternoon class or both -- and you'll have a choice of 3-4 classes. Also, when I was there, I had about 10 people mention TG at 5:00. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to that, but it sounds like a good time -- MBA students and booze.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
On fridays I recommend trying to get in on Hennessey's marketing class. Its a core, its an interesting class and is typically interactive. The second best option would be one of the business strategy cores. Honestly, I dont think sitting in on quant classes would be all that interesting for someone just visiting.

This friday happens to be the marketing challenge TG. Its one of the highlight TGs of the year so you will get a to see some interesting stuff going on. It should run from 5 to 7ish if you are staying in town and dont have to fly out.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
Hey Guys !

I am new to this forum. I am in R1 too.

Same Ole story, received an email from them that my interview has been waved off due to lack of vacant spots !

Any clue how to request for an interview now ?

PS: I am from India

IMO this is not a good sign, but it's not your fault. I would not request an interview, this will only bother them. If they call you later, hey consider that good, but otherwise...

On the other hand, if I had no chance to get in, I would prefer not to be dragged through a meaningless interview.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
On fridays I recommend trying to get in on Hennessey's marketing class. Its a core, its an interesting class and is typically interactive. The second best option would be one of the business strategy cores. Honestly, I dont think sitting in on quant classes would be all that interesting for someone just visiting.

This friday happens to be the marketing challenge TG. Its one of the highlight TGs of the year so you will get a to see some interesting stuff going on. It should run from 5 to 7ish if you are staying in town and dont have to fly out.

I'd second Hennessey's marketing class. I sat in on that class when I visited and enjoyed it (although I was kinda of nervous prepping for my interview :) ). An interesting case on Tivo when I was in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
Hey Guys !

I am new to this forum. I am in R1 too.

Same Ole story, received an email from them that my interview has been waved off due to lack of vacant spots !

Any clue how to request for an interview now ?

PS: I am from India

IMO this is not a good sign, but it's not your fault. I would not request an interview, this will only bother them. If they call you later, hey consider that good, but otherwise...

On the other hand, if I had no chance to get in, I would prefer not to be dragged through a meaningless interview.

I attended a Kellogg event last night and asked about the interview waivers. The answer was that they do not have enough interviewers in certain areas. Whether you receive one is absolutely random and will in no way reduce your chances directly. They are sent prior to review so if they like you application upon review, they will have you interviewed by phone or some other way.

It does mean however that there were many applicants from your area - and that's never good news...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Schools:HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)
 Q49  V48
Send PM
Interviewed today in Dallas.

I'm not really sure what to think. On the one hand, it was a relatively easy interview (none of the failure, weakness, challenge, etc. questions). On the other hand, I only got to use about 1/3 of my prepared stories, and didn't get much of a chance to ask questions. I really could have used an extra 15-30 minutes to ask questions, and to toss in a few more reasons why I want to go to Kellogg and why I'd be a good fit. But we ran out of time after about 45 minutes.

Here are a few Qs I remember:

Tell me your story.
Resume walkthrough (I have gaps that got some attention)
What other schools are you applying to?
Why are you not applying to schools X and Y?
What do you like to do away from work?
Any weaknesses on your application that you'd like to address?
Any questions for me? (We were low on time so I briefly tossed out a few "fit" points)

Also, discussed the usual (campus visit, LT/ST goals, clubs, electives, the city, GIM, recruiting).

Hope this helps. Now, the waiting begins.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 463 [0]
Send PM
I'm new to this whole GMAT thing. I took my LSATs in June and scored in thr 95th percentile and decided that I'd like to apply for the JD/MBA program. Unfortunately, the earliest i can take the GMATs is in mid-January. My question to you is how much of a difference does it make in my chances to get admitted if I apply in R3? Does applying late handicap me at all?
Current Student
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
R3 is basically reserved for superstars who forgot to apply by R2. They were too busy winning a world championship or taking their company IPO. It is on the order of 4-10x harder to get in on R3 (yes that is my scientifically proven stat).

Also, the MBA application is typically WAAAAAAY harder than a law school application. It takes far more time.

If in any way possible, go R2.

My personal recommendation would be to skip the MBA. Get your JD and take a few business classes along the way.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
R3 is basically reserved for superstars who forgot to apply by R2. They were too busy winning a world championship or taking their company IPO.

Actually, no excuses this year. Olympics finished in August and there hasn't been an IPO in three months. That leaves Sept to work on apps. A true superstar needs only a week to complete an app ;)

Oh crap, all the superstars are applying R2 this year!!! :shock:
Current Student
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
FYI for those whose recommenders submitted late: one of my recommenders submitted on 10/18 (the other parts of my app were submitted on 10/17), and my application went complete today...not sure how many extra days Kellogg gives them, but they obviously give a little leeway.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
I had my Kellogg interview on campus this past Saturday with a first year student; very conversational approach and was very similar to my on-campus interview with an adcom member last year.

- Tell me about your undergrad majors and how it led to your first job
- Leadership challenge at first job
- Short and long term goals
- Why Kellogg?
- What can you bring to help other K students?

Some other questions sprinkled throughout and then ample time at the end to ask him any questions. Very friendly guy, I thought the interview went fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Booth
 Q46  V41
Send PM
R1 applicant here. Submitted on 10/16. Also received the interview waiver. Although the email they sent to me noted that the waiver did not hinder my admissions chances, my inner cynic tends to think differently.

Guess I'll have to wait & see. Best of luck to all.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
coad, they send out those emails before reading your application. If they like your application then they will contact you for a phone interview. Don't stress yet...they are just getting going on those R1 applications so chances are they havent even seen yours yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
coadman wrote:
R1 applicant here. Submitted on 10/16. Also received the interview waiver. Although the email they sent to me noted that the waiver did not hinder my admissions chances, my inner cynic tends to think differently.

Guess I'll have to wait & see. Best of luck to all.

I asked an adcom rep from Kellogg a few days ago. She says they are sent out randomly in areas where they do not have enough interviewers. The waivers are sent out before they have had a chance to review the applications. Two current students told me they were admitted after initially receiving waivers. You're chances are exactly the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Booth
 Q46  V41
Send PM
river / Gil,

Thanks for the info.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi

As I have posted before, I am also one of the 'interview-waiver' candidates. I spoke to a kellogg student yesterday and he was of the view that if your application(read:essays) is strong, you will be interviewed eventually...so don't lose hope! :)

ATB to all ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Tech Strategy/Marketing
Schools:UCLA Anderson 2011
 Q49  V48
Send PM
nomsg7111 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

I'd second Hennessey's marketing class. I sat in on that class when I visited and enjoyed it (although I was kinda of nervous prepping for my interview :) ). An interesting case on Tivo when I was in.

What time is Hennessey's class? I see that there are classes at 8:30, 10:30, 1:30, and 3:30. I'm trying to schedule my day so I could go on the campus tour, have lunch with students, and visit at least one class.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts