Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance,General Management
Schools:Ross (R1-Admit)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
Same on essay #3

3. If you were not pursuing the career goals you described in Question 1 what profession would you pursue instead? (For example, teacher, musician, athlete, architect, etc.) How will this alternative interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multidisciplinary problems?

I have gone thru pretty much every post on this forum to get an understanding of this quesiton and still confused... heres what i have come up with:

If not essay_1 then I would work for X in the capacity of Y.

I have been invlded with X from past 2 years.. and have helped them with a,b,c.

while helping them with a, I leanrt .. teambuilding motivation ...so on.

while helping with b, I leaned to efectively communicate my idea ... so on.

while helping with c, I leanred ....

the skills that i have leanerd from working with X will help me effectively solve MD problems.

Any comments ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:IESE, Duke, Ross, Darden, McCombs, LBS
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V38
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Hi all,

Question on essay #4. Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it.

Whats a good approach.... just go with a professional failure essay and modify it to show the chalange.... or use some personal expereince from your life .. like parents divorce or misguidance from an evil relative :-).

My understanding is that ideally, you need to go with a personal story cause the first 2 essays give you enough space to talk about your professional experiences.
But again, if you really have some challenge at work which you wanna cover here, definitely go ahead.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Same on essay #3

3. If you were not pursuing the career goals you described in Question 1 what profession would you pursue instead? (For example, teacher, musician, athlete, architect, etc.) How will this alternative interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multidisciplinary problems?

I have gone thru pretty much every post on this forum to get an understanding of this quesiton and still confused... heres what i have come up with:

the skills that i have leanerd from working with X will help me effectively solve MD problems.

Any comments ?

That will do, OR You could also talk about something really fun, something you're really passionate about which you may have indulged in earlier giving you x, y, z. Like they mention: teacher, musician athlete etc.,
Think this is a light fun essay where again, they are looking at different aspects of your personality.

My 2 cents :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Same on essay #3

Any comments ?

I don't think there's a secret formula and with a class of 500+ students, there's bound to be a variety of ways to approach this. I went with a personal interest that could also be a career. It helped to touch on some of my personal interests and motivations. I'd say this essay can be used to talk about your personal character and what makes you unique.

A few don'ts though...
You don't want to choose a career that would cause adcom to question why you're applying to business school. You also don't want to say something like, "my ideal career is to be an Investment Banker, but if I weren't doing that, I'd be a Brand Manager." Those are two very different paths people can take at b-school, so don't write about something like that, even though this is probably a reality for current MBAs. An essay like this also doesn't provide much more depth about you as a person.

Just my two cents.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
culesrule wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:
Hi all,

Question on essay #4. Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it.

Whats a good approach.... just go with a professional failure essay and modify it to show the chalange.... or use some personal expereince from your life .. like parents divorce or misguidance from an evil relative :-).

My understanding is that ideally, you need to go with a personal story cause the first 2 essays give you enough space to talk about your professional experiences.
But again, if you really have some challenge at work which you wanna cover here, definitely go ahead.

Agreed on the personal aspects of the essay. Though I think it's okay to write about a professional failure.

One way to think about all your essays and your application in total is to list out the key qualities, skills, traits (professional and personal) that you want the adcom to take away when they look at your application package, including your recommendations. Figure out how you'll put together a cohesive package about yourself through each piece. That will help you decide if you want to talk about a personal or professional experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Colesrule and Peaceyall - Thank you so much for your thoughts ... let me go back and make sure that I move my essay to a more personal challange.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
alright ... after having a little fun with "alternative career essay", it is actually looking little better.

here's how it looks now:

why motivates for X as alternate career.

My past connection with X.

expand on couple of examples of particular things that I did during my past conneciton with X.

Close with saying the a,b, c skills that i leaned during my expereince will help me solve MD problem.

by spending 30 words on what motivates for X as alternative career, i am able to bring one more unique aspect of my personality.

total words - 316

Any feedbacks?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Updated Roll call.Let me know if I missed anyone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
culesrule wrote:

That will do, OR You could also talk about something really fun, something you're really passionate about which you may have indulged in earlier giving you x, y, z. Like they mention: teacher, musician athlete etc.,
Think this is a light fun essay where again, they are looking at different aspects of your personality.

My 2 cents :)

i second this suggestion. i had A LOT of fun with this essay. i have a really nerdy quirk that people wouldn't expect from me (based on demographics, background, and my perceived persona) so i used this interest to explain how i wanted a career in this field. i definitely think it brought balance to a rather bland application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
I submitted my app for R2 on Friday.

I just got a email that one of my recommendations is submitted. Waiting for the other one to come in

Cheers,

Unplugged
Current Student
Send PM
submitted my application today!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
A quick bit of info from the Ross administration about next year's class, via my section leader:

As everyone has heard, we were an abnormally large class, given that the yield (78% - the percentage of students who decided to come to Ross once accepted) was much higher in 2009 than in any year past.
The administration hopes the class of 2012 will be around 480 students (MBA 2011 is over 500).
Current Student
Send PM
zmfatla wrote:
A quick bit of info from the Ross administration about next year's class, via my section leader:

As everyone has heard, we were an abnormally large class, given that the yield (78% - the percentage of students who decided to come to Ross once accepted) was much higher in 2009 than in any year past.
The administration hopes the class of 2012 will be around 480 students (MBA 2011 is over 500).

even with the super sexy new facilities you guys don't want to keep the class at 500+ :lol: ....darn
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
I think the class size increase presents an interesting problem for the school. With 500+ people in the class of 2011, there needs to be a significant spike in the number of companies hiring on-campus to reach past employment #s. I haven't seen an obvious rise in the # of job postings for the 1st years and it will be interesting to see how the upcoming internship season goes.

So, it makes complete sense to me that the school wants to keep the class size down to 480.

2012dreams wrote:
zmfatla wrote:

even with the super sexy new facilities you guys don't want to keep the class at 500+ :lol: ....darn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
It's amazing how the yield is that high, how does Ross KNOW... fit? It's mind boggling to think about, i understand if you're hbs / stanford and to some degree wharton and your yield is that high, but ross must be dinging super amazing applicants who cross apply to the hsws of the world?
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Can on of your guys shed some light on "action based learning" - from what i learned thru my RnD so far... it sounds like for each class you guys get some real work buisness probelm. is that true ?

I can talk about my experiences thus far and about MAP. There's the program called RLI or the Ross Leadership Initiative - https://www.bus.umich.edu/RLI/Programs/ that takes place across the two years. This includes orientation, which is somewhat action-based learning and this month there's the Leadership Crisis Challenge which is a simulation in which selected teams get to participate in. I don't know too much about it since it hasn't happened yet.

MAP - Multidisciplinary Action Project - is probably the best example of action based learning. During the last 6-week term of the first year, you essentially do a consulting project with a company (and some non-profits or government entities). There's a list of 100-120 companies to choose from and teams are formed of ~4-6 students. The projects are wide-ranging across industry, function, and geography. Given my interest, I've been looking at energy, utilities, and clean tech. There's social enterprise ones as well as companies trying to market to the base of the pyramid. And of course there's the traditional ones you'd expect to see. We'll be ranking them over the next two weeks and know at the end of the month what project we get.

Projects can be great or not-so-great based on what the project is, how well the team gels, what your client is like, and the team's ability to plan out the project. It probably mirrors a consulting project pretty well.

There's club stuff as well, though I wouldn't say this is unique to Ross, but definitely gives you practical experience. For example, there's the Community Consulting Club where you do a consulting project for an area non-profit over the course of ~10 weeks and the Board Fellowship Program where you are a board member of an area non-profit. There's also opportunity through clubs to impact the administration or campus. For example, Net Impact members pushed the Ross administration to get the new building LEED certified and Net Impact members also were key in getting the campus-wide Office of Campus Sustainability established. And there's lots of conferences that are planned and take place practically every week.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
peaceyall wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:
Can on of your guys shed some light on "action based learning" - from what i learned thru my RnD so far... it sounds like for each class you guys get some real work buisness probelm. is that true ?

I can talk about my experiences thus far and about MAP. There's the program called RLI or the Ross Leadership Initiative - https://www.bus.umich.edu/RLI/Programs/ that takes place across the two years. This includes orientation, which is somewhat action-based learning and this month there's the Leadership Crisis Challenge which is a simulation in which selected teams get to participate in. I don't know too much about it since it hasn't happened yet....

Very helpful. Thanks for this Peaceyall.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  97   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts