Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Chances of Booth/Kellogg Admission with Weak Undergrad [#permalink]
Thanks for your response MG4MBACrystalBall

I learned about the HBx Core program offered by Harvard Business School Online. This course has three classes - financial accounting, business analytics and economics - and is tested at the end. In your opinion, would you recommend this course for offsetting weak undergrad performance as in my case?

Thanks,
Jameel Ahmed
Current Student
Send PM
I would also like to hear from other experts on the original post. I am tagging the ones that I know of. mbaMission StacyBlackman
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
achmetj, HBx does have some credibility in the system. So, even though expensive, could be worth it.
Current Student
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I agree with the advice that you've received. If I were reading your application, my main concern would be that the situation would repeat itself where your grades will be going up and down.

So I feel your main task is to help me understand why that will not happen again.

I don't really think it's such a big deal from the perspective of your statistics, yes GPA matters but if you have a good GMAT that will satisfy any concerns about your ability to get the work done. On that note your primary focus should be on getting an outstanding GMAT that is above the average for those part-time programs. I'd say a 700 would be what you'll be shooting for.

So, as mentioned, the only other concern would be stability. So I would use the optional essay to elaborate why the conditions that led to your academic ups and downs no longer apply and how you might handle them differently.

I think what concerns me is not so much the freshmen year but the senior year. So it would be important to know more about why that happened. I'm kind of confused because you said things were going great and then you became hopeless or something.

I wrote a Blog on this topic,

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for your reply MBAPrepCoach.

To answer your question, the senior year debacle occurred due to worsening of the same circumstances that had continued up until a couple years ago. Needless to say, there are experiences in life that one never knows how to deal with until they hit him/her. It's only when you have lived through such experiences that you develop the skills to cope with that nagging stress, and it takes time. Honestly, I don't want to tell the admissions teams at these schools about this situation and attribute the weak academics to it, only because I feel it's so personal. And that's where I need professional help and advice to successfully present my case to the admissions at these schools.

Moving on, looking into the MBA Math course, I think I am going to do that instead of the HBx Core, because it's letter graded than simple pass/fail, and it comes more highly recommended from many people. That combined with my engineering work experience and a strong GMAT score (hopefully) should help me secure admission to Chicago Booth. Your thoughts?
GMAT Club Bot