Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 14:33 It is currently 21 May 2024, 14:33
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93373
Own Kudos [?]: 625613 [2]
Given Kudos: 81918
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 4129
Own Kudos [?]: 9308 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 93
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 4129
Own Kudos [?]: 9308 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Children in the first three grades who attend private schools spend ea [#permalink]
Expert Reply
vinayakvaish wrote:
These are poor quality questions. Even if you establish that trilingual tutoring is a critical factor, it does not eliminate the possibility of another factor. The conclusion uses 'only' to point out that trilingual tutoring is the only factor that matters. Had the conclusion not used 'only', D would have been the correct choice.


I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking - D is the correct answer to the question. I agree it's not a high quality question because of the writing, but if, as D says, trilingual tutoring is "the critical factor" (and not just "a" critical factor), then the logic behind the question is fine.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 93
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Children in the first three grades who attend private schools spend ea [#permalink]
IanStewart Thank You for your reply. I misread the 'the'. Apologies for the comment on quality.

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 14033
Own Kudos [?]: 33996 [0]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Children in the first three grades who attend private schools spend ea [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

The author’s recommendation that public schools should have computerized reading programs depends upon the correctness of the explanation of the present deficiency in reading skills in the public schools. The contrast with private-school students shows that the author thinks the deficiency can be attributed to the lack of such a program in the public schools. So, one of the author’s assumptions, and that is what the question stem is asking about, is that the differential in reading skills is a result of the availability of a computerized program in the private-school system and the lack thereof in the public school system.

(E) is, of course, irrelevant to the question of reading skills.

(C) tries to force the author to assume a greater burden than the author has undertaken. The author claims that the reading skills of public-school children could be improved by a computerized reading program. The author does not argue the merits of having good reading skills.

(A) and (B) are wrong for the same reason. The author’s claim must be interpreted to mean “of children who are able to learn, all would benefit from a computerized reading program.” When the author claims that “public-school children can be good readers,” the author is not implying that all children can learn to be good readers nor that all can learn to read equally well.

The correct answer is (D).
Director
Director
Joined: 16 Jul 2019
Posts: 540
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Send PM
Re: Children in the first three grades who attend private schools spend ea [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

The author’s recommendation that public schools should have computerized reading programs depends upon the correctness of the explanation of the present deficiency in reading skills in the public schools. The contrast with private-school students shows that the author thinks the deficiency can be attributed to the lack of such a program in the public schools. So, one of the author’s assumptions, and that is what the question stem is asking about, is that the differential in reading skills is a result of the availability of a computerized program in the private-school system and the lack thereof in the public school system.

(E) is, of course, irrelevant to the question of reading skills.

(C) tries to force the author to assume a greater burden than the author has undertaken. The author claims that the reading skills of public-school children could be improved by a computerized reading program. The author does not argue the merits of having good reading skills.

(A) and (B) are wrong for the same reason. The author’s claim must be interpreted to mean “of children who are able to learn, all would benefit from a computerized reading program.” When the author claims that “public-school children can be good readers,” the author is not implying that all children can learn to be good readers nor that all can learn to read equally well.

The correct answer is (D).


Your explanation is wrong . OA can be A as well

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 14033
Own Kudos [?]: 33996 [0]
Given Kudos: 5806
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Children in the first three grades who attend private schools spend ea [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Oppenheimer1945 wrote:

Your explanation is wrong . OA can be A as well


Thank you for your valuable suggestion, can you please explain how A could also be the answer?

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Joined: 16 Jul 2019
Posts: 540
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Send PM
Re: Children in the first three grades who attend private schools spend ea [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Oppenheimer1945 wrote:

Your explanation is wrong . OA can be A as well

Thank you for your valuable suggestion, can you please explain how A could also be the answer?

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

­Dear Mr. Sajjad,
If children can't "learn" to be good readers when taught by Mr. Tutor, they will not become good readers.

We are not assuming they have a magical power to gain reading ability, it's human learning. 

Take this for example.
A will win the election as they have good public support 
=> assumption is A will participate in election.
or 
=> good public support is a critical factor in winning election­

You can't reject A in this question.­
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Children in the first three grades who attend private schools spend ea [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts