Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:25 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ritesh559 wrote:
The reason why i chose B is - the argument states that the artificial fat absorbs certain essential vitamins.
Coming to answer choice B -If Vitamins are present in the food that contains fat(not artificial fat)then if someone is just having artificial fat (not the fat) ,he/she is also not having the vitamins that gets absorbed by the artificial fat and hence the drawback is no more a drawback.
Kindly let me know where i am going wrong in this.
(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat

Let's consider what (B) is telling us, and what it's not telling us.

If the "vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat," that tells us one source of these essential vitamins. However, that doesn't mean these foods are the only source of the vitamins. In fact, the essential vitamins could still be contained in many other, fat-free foods.

So even if people were entirely avoiding foods that contain fat, they could still be getting the "essential vitamins" from other sources, and the artificial fat would still be a drawback (since it would prevent the essential vitamins from being used by the body). So, (B) is incorrect.

For more on why (A) is correct and (B) is wrong, check out this post.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has [#permalink]
stevegt wrote:
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake. Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat

(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat

(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health

(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats

(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats

In my gmatprep mock, I got the same question but option B was a bit different.

B) Whether any of the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are destroyed by prolonged cooking

What is this option exactly trying to say?
So, if any of the vitamins are destroyed by prolonged cooking, then there still could be SOME vitamins that stayed and thus, those could be absorbed by the artificial fat. Thus, yes we should avoid it

And if none of the vitamins get destroyed, then the artificial fat would absorb all of it. So, again yes we should avoid it.

Am I right in my way of focusing on the word 'any'? Also, should we focus on the word prolonged cooking. DO we have to think about ways of normal cooking as well, or we should only think about what happens when the cooking is prolonged?

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja mikemcgarry pls help

Also, what is C doing? Because if low intake endangers then we should anyway eat the artificial fat. If it doesnt endanger, then we should avoid artificial fat. Can I eliminate C only on the fact that it doesnt really say anything about the vitamins, which is an important part of the conclusion?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64953 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Chitra657 wrote:
stevegt wrote:
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake. Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat

(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health

(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats

(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats

In my gmatprep mock, I got the same question but option B was a bit different.

B) Whether any of the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are destroyed by prolonged cooking

What is this option exactly trying to say?
So, if any of the vitamins are destroyed by prolonged cooking, then there still could be SOME vitamins that stayed and thus, those could be absorbed by the artificial fat. Thus, yes we should avoid it

And if none of the vitamins get destroyed, then the artificial fat would absorb all of it. So, again yes we should avoid it.

Am I right in my way of focusing on the word 'any'? Also, should we focus on the word prolonged cooking. DO we have to think about ways of normal cooking as well, or we should only think about what happens when the cooking is prolonged?

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja mikemcgarry pls help

Also, what is C doing? Because if low intake endangers then we should anyway eat the artificial fat. If it doesnt endanger, then we should avoid artificial fat. Can I eliminate C only on the fact that it doesnt really say anything about the vitamins, which is an important part of the conclusion?

Chitra657 - Focus on your argument.
Some people are told to reduce fat. An artificial fat is being touted for food prep (to cook food in) for these people. But this fat absorbs away essential nutrients.
Hence, don't use this artificial fat.

That is all the argument says. How do we evaluate this? In various ways. Whether the essential nutrients can be obtained in another way. Whether there is another good substitute of fat for cooking for these people? What is worse for them - not using this artificial fat or losing on essential minerals ... etc.

Both your options (B) and (C) are out of scope.

Our argument has not mentioned "prolonged" cooking. What the fat does in that extreme situation is irrelevant. We are just talking about what the fat does during regular cooking.

Again our argument doesn't talk about "extremely low" fat intake. So what impact that extreme situation has is again irrelevant. We are just talking about reducing fat intake for people who have been advised to do so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Please evaluate my reasoning for option B.

Taking a "yes" for the question:-
Yes Vitamins that artificial fat absorbs are present in foods containing the fat. Doesn't this weaken the conclusion?
The vitamins that fats absorb are present in foods containing the fat. Hence, we should avoid using this artificial fat.

When we answer "No", we get Vitamins that the artificial fats absorb are not present in fat. Hence, we should continue using artificial fat.

Please evaluate where am I going wrong.

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64953 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Please evaluate my reasoning for option B.

Taking a "yes" for the question:-
Yes Vitamins that artificial fat absorbs are present in foods containing the fat. Doesn't this weaken the conclusion?
The vitamins that fats absorb are present in foods containing the fat. Hence, we should avoid using this artificial fat.

When we answer "No", we get Vitamins that the artificial fats absorb are not present in fat. Hence, we should continue using artificial fat.

Please evaluate where am I going wrong.

Thanks

Artificial fat has a drawback - it absorbs away some essential vitamins. It doesn't matter which food provides those vitamins - the food which has artificial fat or the other food taken during that time. The point is that the author is saying that don't use this artificial fat in your meals. It will absorb the essential vitamins from your meal - whichever food may carry those essential vitamins.
So whether the food with the artificial fat has the vitamins or some other food which you are consuming as part of the meal has the vitamins is irrelevant. Whichever food has the vitamins, will be stripped off of them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Just to rephrase
Even if we get to know whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in other fats too does not tell us whether we should do away with consuming the artificial fat or not?

Now am I correct in my reasoning?

Hence, this answer choice is incorrect.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64953 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Just to rephrase
Even if we get to know whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in other fats too does not tell us whether we should do away with consuming the artificial fat or not?

Now am I correct in my reasoning?

Hence, this answer choice is incorrect.

I am not sure you have got it. Consider the scenario:

For a meal, Andy plans to have some roasted chicken with some vegetables.
Roasting the chicken requires some kind of fat. Currently, he uses canola oil for roasting but his doctor has told him to reduce fat intake.

In the market, there is something called an artificial fat available. It looks and tastes like canola oil but does not have its calories. So he considers buying the artificial fat.

The author of the argument tells him to not buy the artificial fat. He says that this fat will absorb some essential vitamins away from his diet so his body will not be able to absorb it. So whatever essential vitamins will be there in his meal (which includes chicken roasted in artificial oil and vegetables), they will become unavailable to his body.

Now, think about it, does it matter whether the chicken has the vitamins or the vegetables? No. Whatever food has the vitamins, they will be absorbed away when consumed with artificial oil (present in the roasted chicken). When ingested together, the artificial oil will strip away those vitamins from the meal.

(B) asks whether it is useful to evaluate whether the food that contains the fat ( i.e. the food that contains the artificial fat i.e. our roasted chicken) is the one which has vitamins in it. Is it useful to evaluate? No. It doesn't matter whether the chicken has the vitamins or the vegetables. When consumed together, the artificial fat will absorb the vitamins.

Hence (B) is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
I went with B - Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat
Idk where am I going wrong
If vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain fat then we are at a risk by using art. fat but if the vitamins absorbed by art. fat are not present in foods that contain fat that is they are present in fat free food then we need not worry as for fat free food we won't be using art. fat as there is no original fat which can be substituted by art fat and thus there is no risk of absorbing vitamins
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Here the conclusion is that people should completely avoid using a certain artificial fat, and the reason given is that it absorbs essential vitamins. So, if we have to go with the conclusion and validate its grounds of reasoning, isn't it also important to check whether having low fat (when the body is devoid of both artificial fat and the other fat that doctor has asked to reduce) is dangerous in the longer run? Please explain which is more necessary. A or C
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vismayi wrote:
Here the conclusion is that people should completely avoid using a certain artificial fat, and the reason given is that it absorbs essential vitamins. So, if we have to go with the conclusion and validate its grounds of reasoning, isn't it also important to check whether having low fat (when the body is devoid of both artificial fat and the other fat that doctor has asked to reduce) is dangerous in the longer run? Please explain which is more necessary. A or C

Great question!

In this passage, the columnist addresses people "whose medical advisers have advised them to reduct their fat intake." So we know these people are trying to reduce their fat intake, but we can't necessarily conclude from this they'll have extremely low fat intake, as (C) says. Maybe they will only reduce their fat intake from high to medium? Based on the passage, we have no basis to conclude these people will use the artificial fat to achieve extremely low fat intake.

In fact, if the people are following the advice of medical advisers, they presumably would not be advised to reduce fat to dangerously low levels. For all these reasons, we can eliminate (C).

Now here's (A):

Quote:

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat.

The columnist's position is based on the idea that the artificial fat "absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body." But is this really a problem? Well, if you could increase your intake of vitamins to compensate for this negative effect, it wouldn't really be a problem. And if that were the case, the columnist's position would fall apart. So (A) would definitely be important to determine.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 2385
GMAT 1: 460 Q28 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
GMAT 4: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 5: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Columnist's position / conclusion: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat

What is the one question we can ask to determine whether the columnist's POV is valid?

Quote:

If YES, then the columnist's conclusion is weakened, as people need not avoid using the artificial fat as they can simply supplement the loss of vitamins
If NO, then the columnist's conclusion is strengthened, as people should avoid using the artificial fat as its drawback cannot be rectified

Option A successfully passes the YES-NO test, therefore it is our answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
I originally selected Option B, but realized it was wrong due to the following reason:

Argument/Conclusion: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake.

Premise 1 & 2: Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat.
B is wrong because even if the Vitamins are present in the food, it says the fats are "preventing them from being used by the body"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has [#permalink]
KarishmaB - can you please explain this
Still not convinced why B is incorrect
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64953 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kashking wrote:
KarishmaB - can you please explain this
Still not convinced why B is incorrect

kashking - Take a look here. I have explained option (B) here.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/columnist-pe ... l#p2998043
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
I found this answer very helpful in Manhattan forum:

Evaluate problems can generally be converted into weakening (or strengthening) problems.

Whenever you have an Evaluate the Conclusion question, you want to stick as closely to the premises and the conclusion as possible. Let's review the argument:

Conclusion: People should not use the fat substitute.
Premise: The fat substitute absorbs certain essential vitamins, thus the body cannot use them.

the argument is telling us not to use the fat substitute BECAUSE then the body will not get certain essential vitamins from food.

What am I assuming? That there is no other reasonable way to obtain these vitamins. I read this and immediately thought, well, what about vitamin supplements?

Answer Choice A directly addresses this assumption: if one can take additional vitamins this weakens the argument. If one cannot take additional vitamins then the argument is strengthened.

Answer Choice C is out of scope. It is not addressing the link between the premise and the conclusion. Also, note that we don't know if this substitute will cause an "extremely low fat intake". It just appears to replace some fats.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has [#permalink]
Understanding the argument - The columnist concludes that "People should avoid using certain artificial fat." Why? Because it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In the Evaluate question, we are checking the validity of the argument. How do we do that - by asking the question along the lines of assumption? Yes.

Option Elimination -

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat - take it to two extremes to check.
Yes, increasing one's intake of vitamins can compensate for the effects of artificial fat - which weakens the conclusion.
No, increasing one's intake of vitamins can not compensate for the effects of artificial fat - strengthens the conclusion.

(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat - What if they do or don't do? Does it help you follow the advice of the columnist? No. Wrong. Distortion.

(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health - yes/no. But it doesn't help evaluate the argument in any way, out of scope.

(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats - then what? Out of scope.

(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats - taste is irrelevant here and out of scope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
All options are irrelevant and would eventually lead to a selection between A and B.

Since the question asks about what must be evaluated to ascertain the validity an Yes or No answer that can definitely validate or invalidate the reasoning would help us arrive at the correct option.

A. Can we negate the effect of artificial fat by taking excess vitamins ?
Yes - Well there is no need to worry about the effect of artificial fat then
No - If not then we should stop taking the artificial fat

B. Does the food that goes along with the artificial fat have the Vitamins ?
Yes - then it will not only absorb the vitamins this food contains , but it will also affect other food taken along with this one
No - even then it's also possible other food containing the same vitamins will be affected by the action of this artificial fat
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts