Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
KyleWiddison wrote:

You can also see in the first paragraph this section: "In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so".

Comparable Worth is a new policy because it states that entities have adopted the comparable worth policies over the last decade. The adoption of these policies would represent a change in policy (from a different policy or no policy at all)...

KW

Then if you suggest that CW has been adopted as a new policy in the LAST DECADE, then how the below answer choice can be eliminated?

To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases

New policy=CW
Specific cases= Cases of comparing dissimilar jobs

Please advise !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
Found the fourth question confusing. The passage says: "other mandates that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs".

In other words, when men and women hold "different" jobs:

(i) "other mandates" (such as "Equal Pay Act of 1963" and "Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964") have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily
(ii) whenever comparable worth principles are applied to pay schedules, perceived unjustified pay differences are eliminated

So, it is clear that "other mandates" would not provide satisfactory outcome, when men and women hold different jobs.

Only option II here talks about men and women holding "different" jobs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
"... as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so."

B-Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules

How can we conclude that B is true? Maybe private sector has applied it but the public sector has just started to consider it. I mean B cannot be 100% true.

Could anyone clear this for me, please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Quote:
Question # 4:

It can be inferred from the passage that application of ???other mandate??? (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I: males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II: women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working outside in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III: a law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the same salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than female paralegals.
A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

I am unable to conclude 'B' as the answer. Can someone please share an explanation.
Thanks!

Thanks for the question,

We are looking for situations where applying the "other mandates" (ie mandates besides comparable worth "that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers"), would likely result in unsatisfactory outcomes for the female employees. What do we know about those "other mandates"? According to the second sentence of the third paragraph, those other mandates "have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs". Thus, we are looking for situations where there is an "unjustified pay gap between male and female workers" and where the "men and women hold different jobs" because those are the situations where the other mandates are unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees:

Option I: Here we are comparing men and women "with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity." Because the men and women involved hold the same job, the situation does not fit our criteria; nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

Option II: Here we have men and women holding different jobs (the men are working outside in the cement factory and the women are working inside the office); we also have a pay gap between male and female workers ("the women are paid much less per hour"). This fits our criteria perfectly (different jobs, difference in pay between male and female workers), and it is thus unlikely that application of the "other mandates" will result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees. (vs application of comparable worth, which would compare the values of the tasks performed in these dissimilar jobs)

Option III: Here we have men and women with the same job, same education, and same career backgrounds. As with Option I, nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

So only option II describes a situation where the application of the other mandates "would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees", so the answer is B.

I don't quite understand why in Option I they have the same job. It seems as they have similar jobs, but different. Dont quite get why this option is incorrect
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
karek77 wrote:
I don't quite understand why in Option I they have the same job. It seems as they have similar jobs, but different. Dont quite get why this option is incorrect

Quote:
I: males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

The males and females in option I might not have the same exact job experience, but "they are employed in the same capacity," which means that they have the same role (long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company). In option I, the males and females have the same job and similar experience, but the males earn more money.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
I don't understand this one.

"We need an option which can compare two dissimilar jobs in types but similar in skill set used. But both the professions have different salaries that is where comparable worth is useful as a policy

Coming to options:

(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
Clerks are compared in skill set with engineers, but the engineers are paid more.=>PERFECT"

How does being a clerk in the assessor's office require similar skills to being an engineer? Shouldn't we be comparing two roles that require the same set of skills?

Wouldn't this be correct only if it were worded "(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the clerks in the office of engineering."

Can someone help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Alainca

For the final question - Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage? - I think it makes sense to re-state that comparable worth "insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared". We thus need to have an answer that compares two jobs each with certain tasks. The only answer choice that does this is Answer D with a Clerk to an Engineer. Other choices fail because they compare the same job using an unrelated aspect of comparable worth (Answer A is mechanics but men to women, Answer B is programmers but one division to another division).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Kudos
mallya12 wrote:
workout, u1983, GMATNinja, SajjadAhmad, GMATNinjaTwo, Gnpth
KyleWiddison
5. It can be inferred from the passage that application of "other mandates" (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I. Males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II. Women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III. A law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the starting salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than for female paralegals.

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) III only

(D) I and II only

(E) I and III only

Please explain.

And what does this mean?

"Neither compares tasks in dissimilar jobs (that is, jobs across occupational categories) in an effort to determine whether or not what is necessary to perform these tasks—know-how, problem-solving, and accountability—can be quantified in terms of its dollar value to the employer."

I got confused in q3 between C and E. Why is C wrong in Q3.

Q5: Please go through the post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprep-cha ... l#p1833662
Q3: Please go through the post: https:https://gmatclub.com/forum/comparable-worth-as-a-standard-applied-to-eliminate-inequities-in-pay-132718.html#p1374654
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manass wrote:
can someone please explain q5

Quote:
5. According to the passage, comparable worth principles are different in which of the following ways from other mandates intended to reduce or eliminate pay inequities?

In the last paragraph of the passage, the author explains the differences between comparable worth and "other mandates" (i.e., the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964). He/she says that comparable worth:

• is "more comprehensive" than the other mandates
  • "compares tasks in dissimilar jobs," which the other mandates do not
  • quantifies the "dollar value to the employer" of these dissimilar jobs.

Clearly, the main difference between comparable worth principles and other mandates is the treatment of dissimilar jobs -- the comparable worth principle compares these jobs to one another and quantifies their worth to the employer.

In looking through the answer choices, each one can be eliminated except for (E):
Quote:
E. Comparable worth principles can be used to quantify the value of elements of dissimilar jobs

(E) fits nicely into our analysis, and is the only answer choice supported by the passage. (E) is the correct answer to question #5.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 1

dingodudesir wrote:
Hi, GMATNinja

In your explanation of this question,

Quote:
1. Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?

I am still not convinced why B is correct. I understand how D (the option I chose) can be eliminated. I'd like you to take a look at my reasoning.

Quote:
B. To assess the significance of a change in policy

The policy refers to comparable worth. But where is "a change" in this policy mentioned?
Additionally, the second paragraph only describes a question: Are gains achieved through comparable worth long-lasting or temporary? Sure, this is a significance, but it is a significance of comparable worth itself, NOT of a change in comparable worth.

It would be helpful to get your response! Thanks in advance!

The "change in policy" is the shift to using comparable worth instead of some other policy. Take a look at this sentence from the first paragraph:

"In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so."

The passage doesn't investigate at the significance of a change WITHIN the concept of comparable worth. Instead, it explores the significance of changing FROM some other policy TO comparable worth. The central question in the passage is whether the impact of implementing comparable worth policies is temporary or long-lasting. Thus, (B) captures the author's primary concern: "to assess the significance of a change in policy."

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
1. According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?

(A) Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints. P3 other mandates that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs.

(B) Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules correct.

(C) Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade. P1 states: this approach has become a critical social policy issue. Not critized.

(D) Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted is. P1 states: this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so

(E) Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity. Nothing was stated in the passage about early implementation
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
supratik wrote:
TGC wrote:
supratik wrote:
Demoralized.
Got them all wrong :(

Identify what strategy is good for you, then attempt the RC.

Don't blindly start reading the passage.

You should have well versed strategy before attempting the RC.

I believe i was going quite good with the attempts. And yes i am quite thorough with the strategies. I have found myself with this failed outcome whenever i tried to over-pace myself. Any solution to work out with that or is it sheer practice? :)

Practice will really help you. Working quickly through problems will typically give a negative result. When you say "out pace" do you mean moving faster than standard pacing or faster than you are used to in order to hit standard pacing?

You can also spend time reading materials that are similar to GMAT passages. There are plenty of threads in this forum discussing reading material on which to practice. Let me know if you can't find a thread.

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
manojsundar1 wrote:
hey guys..could someone tell me as to y C cannot be selected for the 2nd qn....the passage clearly says" this approach has become a critical social policy issue"...so the policy
has come under criticism

That could be 2nd best answer. But it is explicitly given in passage that

--- In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so. ---

which concludes the answer as B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question that I'm wondering someone can quickly help me with.

For the question

"According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy", why is the correct answer B or:

"Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public sector and private sector employee pay schedules". I guess what I'm confused about is why we can definitively conclude that comparable worth has been applied both to public and private pay schedules.

The first paragraph says that public/private has adopted comparable worth policies, but does not necessarily indicate that public/private have applied comparable worth policies to pay schedules specifically?

I was thinking that it is possible policies could be applied to things other than pay schedules, and hence we can't guarantee from the passage that the policies were applied to both public/private pay schedules. It it possible that pay schedules were only evaluated in either public or private settings? The passage doesn't explicitly say whether the policies were applied to the pay schedules for public, private, or both, and therefore I felt selecting answer choice B would be incorrect.

Appreciate any help from the group as I still can't seem to get a handle on this question even after looking at everyone's responses.

Thanks.
Send PM
Expert Reply
quietreader wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question that I'm wondering someone can quickly help me with.

For the question

"According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy", why is the correct answer B or:

"Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public sector and private sector employee pay schedules". I guess what I'm confused about is why we can definitively conclude that comparable worth has been applied both to public and private pay schedules.

The first paragraph says that public/private has adopted comparable worth policies, but does not necessarily indicate that public/private have applied comparable worth policies to pay schedules specifically?

I was thinking that it is possible policies could be applied to things other than pay schedules, and hence we can't guarantee from the passage that the policies were applied to both public/private pay schedules. It it possible that pay schedules were only evaluated in either public or private settings? The passage doesn't explicitly say whether the policies were applied to the pay schedules for public, private, or both, and therefore I felt selecting answer choice B would be incorrect.

Appreciate any help from the group as I still can't seem to get a handle on this question even after looking at everyone's responses.

Thanks.

I can understand the hang up due to the shift in terms, but you have to go back to what Comparable Worth really means - getting paid fairly for the work provided. Since it has everything to do with getting paid, it is not an illogical stretch to say that the implementation was part of the pay schedules.

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I took 6:15 to get all 4 correct. However I don't quite understand the passage after the 2mins initial read, I dont even exactly get what comparable worth is after finishing the questions (which are kinda straightforward imo)

This is the case for quite a few "boring" topics for me. Should I allocate more minutes for the initial read to have a clearer idea? Usuall I jump straight to the questions as soon as the GMATTimer dings
Short reading time (2mins) + long answering time (avg 1:10 each) OR vice versa? Please advise
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yeah - you could probably handle a bit longer read time, but you have to be careful about where you invest that time. You aren't trying to understand every detail on that initial read, but you should understand the main point of the passage. A good way to stay "active" on your read is to do some type of note taking during your read. The style of note taking isn't super important, the act of writing things down as you read can help your mind stay engaged on what you are reading.

I would say 2-3:30 on the passage and 1-1:30 on the questions...

KW
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts