GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 May 2019, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 13:00
"... as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so."

B-Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules

How can we conclude that B is true? Maybe private sector has applied it but the public sector has just started to consider it. I mean B cannot be 100% true.

Could anyone clear this for me, please?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 09:50
rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi KyleWiddison

In Q2 OA we have "assess" word. As per my understanding, "assess" shows Author showed some opinion in the passage. However, passage just listed down the facts and no opinion was shown.

Please help.

'Assess' by definition is not necessarily an opinion. To asses is "to evaluate or estimate the nature, ability, or quality of". The assessment would be an outlining of the different factual components of a situation, like what you see in that problem...

KW

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 06:51
supratik wrote:
Demoralized.
Got them all wrong :(

A good strategy can be reading the first line of each para and making a gist of the line given on a paper.

Then, read the question, come back to the para to find the location of the answer, and start attempting.

Hit Kudos, if that helps you. And happy to answer other doubts! :) :-D
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton '18 (S)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 20:59
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question that I'm wondering someone can quickly help me with.

For the question

"According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy", why is the correct answer B or:

"Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public sector and private sector employee pay schedules". I guess what I'm confused about is why we can definitively conclude that comparable worth has been applied both to public and private pay schedules.

The first paragraph says that public/private has adopted comparable worth policies, but does not necessarily indicate that public/private have applied comparable worth policies to pay schedules specifically?

I was thinking that it is possible policies could be applied to things other than pay schedules, and hence we can't guarantee from the passage that the policies were applied to both public/private pay schedules. It it possible that pay schedules were only evaluated in either public or private settings? The passage doesn't explicitly say whether the policies were applied to the pay schedules for public, private, or both, and therefore I felt selecting answer choice B would be incorrect.

Appreciate any help from the group as I still can't seem to get a handle on this question even after looking at everyone's responses.

Thanks.

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 16:13
quietreader wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question that I'm wondering someone can quickly help me with.

For the question

"According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy", why is the correct answer B or:

"Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public sector and private sector employee pay schedules". I guess what I'm confused about is why we can definitively conclude that comparable worth has been applied both to public and private pay schedules.

The first paragraph says that public/private has adopted comparable worth policies, but does not necessarily indicate that public/private have applied comparable worth policies to pay schedules specifically?

I was thinking that it is possible policies could be applied to things other than pay schedules, and hence we can't guarantee from the passage that the policies were applied to both public/private pay schedules. It it possible that pay schedules were only evaluated in either public or private settings? The passage doesn't explicitly say whether the policies were applied to the pay schedules for public, private, or both, and therefore I felt selecting answer choice B would be incorrect.

Appreciate any help from the group as I still can't seem to get a handle on this question even after looking at everyone's responses.

Thanks.

I can understand the hang up due to the shift in terms, but you have to go back to what Comparable Worth really means - getting paid fairly for the work provided. Since it has everything to do with getting paid, it is not an illogical stretch to say that the implementation was part of the pay schedules.

KW
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 07:59
I took 6:15 to get all 4 correct. However I don't quite understand the passage after the 2mins initial read, I dont even exactly get what comparable worth is after finishing the questions (which are kinda straightforward imo)

This is the case for quite a few "boring" topics for me. Should I allocate more minutes for the initial read to have a clearer idea? Usuall I jump straight to the questions as soon as the GMATTimer dings
Short reading time (2mins) + long answering time (avg 1:10 each) OR vice versa? Please advise

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 09:35
Yeah - you could probably handle a bit longer read time, but you have to be careful about where you invest that time. You aren't trying to understand every detail on that initial read, but you should understand the main point of the passage. A good way to stay "active" on your read is to do some type of note taking during your read. The style of note taking isn't super important, the act of writing things down as you read can help your mind stay engaged on what you are reading.

I would say 2-3:30 on the passage and 1-1:30 on the questions...

KW
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 07:35
According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?
a. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints
b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules
c. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.
d. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted id.
e. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.

In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.

Explanation: Passage mentions that Comparable worth is adopted in private as well as public (government) sectors. Hence B is the correct answer

Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a result of social policy

However, the question still remains: have the gains already made in pay equity under comparable worth principles been of a precedent-setting nature or are they mostly transitory
Comparable worth pay adjustments are indeed precedent-setting.
Explanation: Above sentences say that Comparable worth is a change in policy and the passage discusses the significance of Comparable Worth, hence B is the correct answer

According to the passage, comparable worth principles are different in which of the following ways from other mandates intended to reduce or eliminate pay inequities:
A) Comparable worth principles address changes in the pay schedules of male as well as female workers
B) Comparable worth principles can be applied to employees in both the public and the private sector
C) Comparable worth principles emphasize the training and skill of workers
D) Comparable worth principles require changes in the employer's resource allocation
E) Comparable worth principles can be used to quantify the value of elements of dissimilar jobs

[Comparable worth] Neither compares tasks in dissimilar jobs (that is, jobs across occupational categories) in an effort to determine whether or not what is necessary to perform these tasks-know-how, problem-solving, and accountability-can be quantified in terms of its dollar value to the employer.

Explanation: Passage mentions that Comparable worth quantifies the tasks in dissimilar jobs. Hence E is the answer

Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage?
(A) The current pay, rates of increase, and rates of promotion for female mechanics are compared with those of male mechanics.
(B) The training, skills, and job experience of computer programmers in one division of a corporation are compared to those of programmers making more money in another division.
(C) The number of women holding top executive positions in a corporation is compared to the number of women available for promotion to those positions, and both tallies are matched to the tallies for men in the same corporation.
(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
(E) The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation.

Comparable worth, on the other hand, takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill; may carry similar responsibility; may be carried on in an environment having a similar impact upon the worker; and may have a similar dollar value to the employer.
Explanation: Passage clearly mentions that Comparable worth takes into account training, effort, and responsibility. Hence D is the answer Though B seems similar but there is a huge difference between job experience and job responsibilities.

Give +1 kudos if this answer helps..!!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stanford '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 11:48
I don't understand this one.

"We need an option which can compare two dissimilar jobs in types but similar in skill set used. But both the professions have different salaries that is where comparable worth is useful as a policy

Coming to options:

(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
Clerks are compared in skill set with engineers, but the engineers are paid more.=>PERFECT"

How does being a clerk in the assessor's office require similar skills to being an engineer? Shouldn't we be comparing two roles that require the same set of skills?

Wouldn't this be correct only if it were worded "(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the clerks in the office of engineering."

Can someone help?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 19:42
Alainca

For the final question - Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage? - I think it makes sense to re-state that comparable worth "insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared". We thus need to have an answer that compares two jobs each with certain tasks. The only answer choice that does this is Answer D with a Clerk to an Engineer. Other choices fail because they compare the same job using an unrelated aspect of comparable worth (Answer A is mechanics but men to women, Answer B is programmers but one division to another division).
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 00:35
solved in 10:48 min with 4/5
got question 1 incorrect selected option A
why A is wrong ?
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 03:45
mayursurya wrote:
solved in 10:48 min with 4/5
got question 1 incorrect selected option A
why A is wrong ?

As this is a detail question, the answer should be explicitly mentioned in the passage.

The correct answer to this question is "c" because “In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.”

Could you please find out option (A) "Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints" in the passage and post it here :)

To know more why "c" is the correct choice, please see https://gmatclub.com/forum/comparable-w ... l#p1105933

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 13:32
Took 10.5 min and got all right except for the second last one, which was a very silly mistake.
Manhattan has the best collection for Rc.
Even E-Gmat is best for RC.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 01:40
workout, u1983, GMATNinja, SajjadAhmad, GMATNinjaTwo, Gnpth
KyleWiddison
5. It can be inferred from the passage that application of "other mandates" (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I. Males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II. Women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III. A law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the starting salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than for female paralegals.

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) III only

(D) I and II only

(E) I and III only

Please explain.

And what does this mean?

"Neither compares tasks in dissimilar jobs (that is, jobs across occupational categories) in an effort to determine whether or not what is necessary to perform these tasks—know-how, problem-solving, and accountability—can be quantified in terms of its dollar value to the employer."

I got confused in q3 between C and E. Why is C wrong in Q3.
RC Moderator
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 19:24
mallya12 wrote:
KyleWiddison
5. It can be inferred from the passage that application of "other mandates" (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I. Males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II. Women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III. A law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the starting salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than for female paralegals.

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) III only

(D) I and II only

(E) I and III only

Please explain.

And what does this mean?

"Neither compares tasks in dissimilar jobs (that is, jobs across occupational categories) in an effort to determine whether or not what is necessary to perform these tasks—know-how, problem-solving, and accountability—can be quantified in terms of its dollar value to the employer."

Q5: Please go through the post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprep-cha ... l#p1833662
Q3: Please go through the post: https:https://gmatclub.com/forum/comparable-worth-as-a-standard-applied-to-eliminate-inequities-in-pay-132718.html#p1374654
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 01:04
u1983 wrote:
mallya12 wrote:
KyleWiddison

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) III only

(D) I and II only

(E) I and III only

Please explain.

And what does this mean?

Q5: Please go through the post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprep-cha ... l#p1833662
Q3: Please go through the post: https:https://gmatclub.com/forum/comparable-worth-as-a-standard-applied-to-eliminate-inequities-in-pay-132718.html#p1374654

The link for Q3 is actually Q2

Could U please explain this?

According to the passage, comparable worth principles are different in which of the following ways from other mandates intended to reduce or eliminate pay inequities:
A) Comparable worth principles address changes in the pay schedules of male as well as female workers
B) Comparable worth principles can be applied to employees in both the public and the private sector
D) Comparable worth principles require changes in the employer's resource allocation
E) Comparable worth principles can be used to quantify the value of elements of dissimilar jobs

Thank You
RC Moderator
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 04:00
mallya12 wrote:
u1983 wrote:
mallya12 wrote:
KyleWiddison

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) III only

(D) I and II only

(E) I and III only

Please explain.

And what does this mean?

The link for Q3 is actually Q2

Could U please explain this?

Thank You

Hope this link will serve your purpose: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprep-cha ... l#p1577837
Manager
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 00:17
Hello experts,
Can someone please explain the answer to Q.4 ? Why is the answer not B?
Thanks in advance

KyleWiddison GMATNinja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 11:24
applebear wrote:
Hello experts,
Can someone please explain the answer to Q.4 ? Why is the answer not B?
Thanks in advance

KyleWiddison GMATNinja

Question #4 asks "which of the following [answer choices] best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage?"

To answer this question, let's look at what the passage says about the principles of comparable worth:
Quote:
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay, insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared.

The key concept here is that the "value of certain tasks in dissimilar jobs can be compared." This differs from other standards, which only seek to eliminate unfair pay gaps between people who have similar jobs.

Let's take a look at (B):
Quote:
(B) The training, skills, and job experience of computer programmers in one division of a corporation are compared to those of programmers making more money in another division.

In this answer choice, the wages and experience of computer programmers in one division are compared to the computer programmers in another division. Because these groups hold similar jobs as programmers, the principles of comparable worth are not applied in this scenario. Eliminate (B).

And here is (D):
Quote:

Here, various aspects of a clerk's job are compared to those of an engineer's job. These jobs are not at all similar, so to compare them to one another, we must apply the principles of comparable worth. (D) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2019, 11:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap