Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [6]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Question # 4:

It can be inferred from the passage that application of ???other mandate??? (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I: males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II: women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working outside in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III: a law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the same salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than female paralegals.
A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

I am unable to conclude 'B' as the answer. Can someone please share an explanation.
Thanks!

Thanks for the question, mbaprep2017!

We are looking for situations where applying the "other mandates" (ie mandates besides comparable worth "that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers"), would likely result in unsatisfactory outcomes for the female employees. What do we know about those "other mandates"? According to the second sentence of the third paragraph, those other mandates "have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs". Thus, we are looking for situations where there is an "unjustified pay gap between male and female workers" and where the "men and women hold different jobs" because those are the situations where the other mandates are unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees:

Option I: Here we are comparing men and women "with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity." Because the men and women involved hold the same job, the situation does not fit our criteria; nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

Option II: Here we have men and women holding different jobs (the men are working outside in the cement factory and the women are working inside the office); we also have a pay gap between male and female workers ("the women are paid much less per hour"). This fits our criteria perfectly (different jobs, difference in pay between male and female workers), and it is thus unlikely that application of the "other mandates" will result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees. (vs application of comparable worth, which would compare the values of the tasks performed in these dissimilar jobs)

Option III: Here we have men and women with the same job, same education, and same career backgrounds. As with Option I, nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

So only option II describes a situation where the application of the other mandates "would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees", so the answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Quote:
Question # 4:

It can be inferred from the passage that application of ???other mandate??? (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I: males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II: women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working outside in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III: a law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the same salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than female paralegals.
A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

I am unable to conclude 'B' as the answer. Can someone please share an explanation.
Thanks!

Thanks for the question,

We are looking for situations where applying the "other mandates" (ie mandates besides comparable worth "that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers"), would likely result in unsatisfactory outcomes for the female employees. What do we know about those "other mandates"? According to the second sentence of the third paragraph, those other mandates "have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs". Thus, we are looking for situations where there is an "unjustified pay gap between male and female workers" and where the "men and women hold different jobs" because those are the situations where the other mandates are unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees:

Option I: Here we are comparing men and women "with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity." Because the men and women involved hold the same job, the situation does not fit our criteria; nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

Option II: Here we have men and women holding different jobs (the men are working outside in the cement factory and the women are working inside the office); we also have a pay gap between male and female workers ("the women are paid much less per hour"). This fits our criteria perfectly (different jobs, difference in pay between male and female workers), and it is thus unlikely that application of the "other mandates" will result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees. (vs application of comparable worth, which would compare the values of the tasks performed in these dissimilar jobs)

Option III: Here we have men and women with the same job, same education, and same career backgrounds. As with Option I, nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

So only option II describes a situation where the application of the other mandates "would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees", so the answer is B.

I don't quite understand why in Option I they have the same job. It seems as they have similar jobs, but different. Dont quite get why this option is incorrect
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
karek77 wrote:
I don't quite understand why in Option I they have the same job. It seems as they have similar jobs, but different. Dont quite get why this option is incorrect

Quote:

The males and females in option I might not have the same exact job experience, but "they are employed in the same capacity," which means that they have the same role (long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company). In option I, the males and females have the same job and similar experience, but the males earn more money.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [11]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?
a. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints
b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules
c. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.
d. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted id.
e. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.

In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.

Explanation: Passage mentions that Comparable worth is adopted in private as well as public (government) sectors. Hence B is the correct answer

Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a result of social policy

However, the question still remains: have the gains already made in pay equity under comparable worth principles been of a precedent-setting nature or are they mostly transitory
Comparable worth pay adjustments are indeed precedent-setting.
Explanation: Above sentences say that Comparable worth is a change in policy and the passage discusses the significance of Comparable Worth, hence B is the correct answer

According to the passage, comparable worth principles are different in which of the following ways from other mandates intended to reduce or eliminate pay inequities:
A) Comparable worth principles address changes in the pay schedules of male as well as female workers
B) Comparable worth principles can be applied to employees in both the public and the private sector
C) Comparable worth principles emphasize the training and skill of workers
D) Comparable worth principles require changes in the employer's resource allocation
E) Comparable worth principles can be used to quantify the value of elements of dissimilar jobs

[Comparable worth] Neither compares tasks in dissimilar jobs (that is, jobs across occupational categories) in an effort to determine whether or not what is necessary to perform these tasks-know-how, problem-solving, and accountability-can be quantified in terms of its dollar value to the employer.

Explanation: Passage mentions that Comparable worth quantifies the tasks in dissimilar jobs. Hence E is the answer

Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage?
(A) The current pay, rates of increase, and rates of promotion for female mechanics are compared with those of male mechanics.
(B) The training, skills, and job experience of computer programmers in one division of a corporation are compared to those of programmers making more money in another division.
(C) The number of women holding top executive positions in a corporation is compared to the number of women available for promotion to those positions, and both tallies are matched to the tallies for men in the same corporation.
(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
(E) The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation.

Comparable worth, on the other hand, takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill; may carry similar responsibility; may be carried on in an environment having a similar impact upon the worker; and may have a similar dollar value to the employer.
Explanation: Passage clearly mentions that Comparable worth takes into account training, effort, and responsibility. Hence D is the answer Though B seems similar but there is a huge difference between job experience and job responsibilities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
I don't understand this one.

"We need an option which can compare two dissimilar jobs in types but similar in skill set used. But both the professions have different salaries that is where comparable worth is useful as a policy

Coming to options:

(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
Clerks are compared in skill set with engineers, but the engineers are paid more.=>PERFECT"

How does being a clerk in the assessor's office require similar skills to being an engineer? Shouldn't we be comparing two roles that require the same set of skills?

Wouldn't this be correct only if it were worded "(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the clerks in the office of engineering."

Can someone help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Alainca

For the final question - Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage? - I think it makes sense to re-state that comparable worth "insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared". We thus need to have an answer that compares two jobs each with certain tasks. The only answer choice that does this is Answer D with a Clerk to an Engineer. Other choices fail because they compare the same job using an unrelated aspect of comparable worth (Answer A is mechanics but men to women, Answer B is programmers but one division to another division).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo For Question 3 I chose option E, but ,in hindsight ,I realized that option E compares jobs with similar environments and not jobs that have similar impact on the workers - can we use this subtle shift in the meaning to eliminate E?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
DogGoesWoof wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo For Question 3 I chose option E, but ,in hindsight ,I realized that option E compares jobs with similar environments and not jobs that have similar impact on the workers - can we use this subtle shift in the meaning to eliminate E?

Quote:
3. Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage?

A. The current pay, rates of increase, and rates of promotion for female mechanics are compared with those of male mechanics.
B. The training, skills, and job experience of computer programmers in one division of a corporation are compared to those of programmers making more money in another division.
C. The number of women holding top executive positions in a corporation is compared to the number of women available for promotion to those positions, and both tallies are matched to the tallies for men in the same corporation.
D. The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
E. The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation.

As stated in the final paragraph, comparable worth "takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs 1) may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill; 2) may carry similar responsibility; 3) may be carried on in an environment having a similar impact upon the worker; and 4) may have a similar dollar value to the employer. The whole point of comparable worth is, as described in the first sentence, to compare the "values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs."

So we apply comparable worth when the jobs are dissimilar but the tasks are comparable. Yes, the environmental impact upon the worker is mentioned as possible similarity. However, the fact that two tasks are performed in similar environments does not necessarily mean that those tasks are comparable.

Comparing "all workers" who work in a hazardous-materials environment would involve comparing a wide variety of tasks. This is not the application of comparable worth described in the passage, so (E) should be eliminated.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos