It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:16

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2014, 21:44
supratik wrote:
TGC wrote:
supratik wrote:
Demoralized.
Got them all wrong :(

Identify what strategy is good for you, then attempt the RC.

Don't blindly start reading the passage.

You should have well versed strategy before attempting the RC.

I believe i was going quite good with the attempts. And yes i am quite thorough with the strategies. I have found myself with this failed outcome whenever i tried to over-pace myself. Any solution to work out with that or is it sheer practice? :)

I am not that good at RC's . However, till now I have practiced approx 130-140 passages.

And by doing this , I came to know that initial read is very important even if takes 5 min for a small passage because if initial read is perfect then you would probably take max. 80-90 seconds to answer any question.

The 5 min time shouldn't be 10 min.

Consider completing RC, with questions, within 8 min.

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 322

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 858 [2], given: 5

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2014, 14:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
RC is a matter of process and practice. Your first read needs to be "complete". By complete I don't mean that you understand every bit of the passage and have all parts perfectly stored in your short term memory. You should have a really good sense of the main point of the passage and the sub-points as well. You should have a good feel of the location of key elements of the passage. In short, after your first read you should be able to answer general questions about the passage (main point, author would agree with, etc.) without having to look back at the passage and you should know where to go back to re-read (in more depth) the passage to answer specific detail and inference questions. This first read should be 3-5 minutes. You have to focus on structure, not details, to hit this time.

Practice RC passages consistently as you go through the other GMAT areas.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 916

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 07:09
Hey,

I have a problem with question 23. I do understand it and I have answered it correctly, but lost quite some time (about 2 mins) to decide whether (B) is NOT a booby trap. Let me tell you why:

The passage states: "as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.". Answer choice (B) says: "b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules". Now, I clearly have a problem with "or have begun to consider doing so" as on other passages I have encountered similar traps that just make you choose something and then twist the context a little bit and define it wrong.

Do you have any tips how to tackle these kinds of situations?

Thanks!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 916

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2014, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bgpower wrote:
Hey,

I have a problem with question 23. I do understand it and I have answered it correctly, but lost quite some time (about 2 mins) to decide whether (B) is NOT a booby trap. Let me tell you why:

The passage states: "as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.". Answer choice (B) says: "b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules". Now, I clearly have a problem with "or have begun to consider doing so" as on other passages I have encountered similar traps that just make you choose something and then twist the context a little bit and define it wrong.

Do you have any tips how to tackle these kinds of situations?

Thanks!

You are right to be careful about falling into GMAT traps. Here are a few points to consider. First, on RC questions (really all verbal questions), you will eliminate your way to the correct answer. The other four questions here are clearly wrong, so you are left with answer choice B. Next, look carefully at the wording of the question: "Which of the following is TRUE of comparable worth as a policy?". Sure, the passage includes the phrase "consider to do", but does the information in the passage state that the policy has been applied to both private/public sectors? The passage says that LARGE numbers of private-sector firms and [public entities] have adopted comparable worth policies... The GMAT is careful to use a word like large and to include both sectors in the sentence so it is clear that the policies have been adopted by both entities.

You might not feel 100% comfortable with the correct answer, but the statement is true and the other options can be confidently eliminated.

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 858 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 08:59
supratik wrote:
TGC wrote:
supratik wrote:
Demoralized.

Identify what strategy is good for you, then attempt the RC.

Don't blindly start reading the passage.

You should have well versed strategy before attempting the RC.

I believe i was going quite good with the attempts. And yes i am quite thorough with the strategies. I have found myself with this failed outcome whenever i tried to over-pace myself. Any solution to work out with that or is it sheer practice? :)

Practice will really help you. Working quickly through problems will typically give a negative result. When you say "out pace" do you mean moving faster than standard pacing or faster than you are used to in order to hit standard pacing?

You can also spend time reading materials that are similar to GMAT passages. There are plenty of threads in this forum discussing reading material on which to practice. Let me know if you can't find a thread.

KW

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 93

GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 13:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi KyleWiddison

In Q2 OA we have "assess" word. As per my understanding, "assess" shows Author showed some opinion in the passage. However, passage just listed down the facts and no opinion was shown.

Please help.

Middle of nowhere!

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 93

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
"... as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so."

B-Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules

How can we conclude that B is true? Maybe private sector has applied it but the public sector has just started to consider it. I mean B cannot be 100% true.

Could anyone clear this for me, please?

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 858 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi KyleWiddison

In Q2 OA we have "assess" word. As per my understanding, "assess" shows Author showed some opinion in the passage. However, passage just listed down the facts and no opinion was shown.

Please help.

'Assess' by definition is not necessarily an opinion. To asses is "to evaluate or estimate the nature, ability, or quality of". The assessment would be an outlining of the different factual components of a situation, like what you see in that problem...

KW

Kudos [?]: 858 [1], given: 5

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 05:51
This post received
KUDOS
supratik wrote:
Demoralized.

A good strategy can be reading the first line of each para and making a gist of the line given on a paper.

Then, read the question, come back to the para to find the location of the answer, and start attempting.

Hit Kudos, if that helps you. And happy to answer other doubts! :) :-D

Kudos [?]: 3 [2], given: 17

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 02:22
I went for c
Because the reasons only state c

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton '18 (S)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 19:59
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question that I'm wondering someone can quickly help me with.

For the question

"According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy", why is the correct answer B or:

"Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public sector and private sector employee pay schedules". I guess what I'm confused about is why we can definitively conclude that comparable worth has been applied both to public and private pay schedules.

The first paragraph says that public/private has adopted comparable worth policies, but does not necessarily indicate that public/private have applied comparable worth policies to pay schedules specifically?

I was thinking that it is possible policies could be applied to things other than pay schedules, and hence we can't guarantee from the passage that the policies were applied to both public/private pay schedules. It it possible that pay schedules were only evaluated in either public or private settings? The passage doesn't explicitly say whether the policies were applied to the pay schedules for public, private, or both, and therefore I felt selecting answer choice B would be incorrect.

Appreciate any help from the group as I still can't seem to get a handle on this question even after looking at everyone's responses.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 15:13
quietreader wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question that I'm wondering someone can quickly help me with.

For the question

"According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy", why is the correct answer B or:

"Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public sector and private sector employee pay schedules". I guess what I'm confused about is why we can definitively conclude that comparable worth has been applied both to public and private pay schedules.

The first paragraph says that public/private has adopted comparable worth policies, but does not necessarily indicate that public/private have applied comparable worth policies to pay schedules specifically?

I was thinking that it is possible policies could be applied to things other than pay schedules, and hence we can't guarantee from the passage that the policies were applied to both public/private pay schedules. It it possible that pay schedules were only evaluated in either public or private settings? The passage doesn't explicitly say whether the policies were applied to the pay schedules for public, private, or both, and therefore I felt selecting answer choice B would be incorrect.

Appreciate any help from the group as I still can't seem to get a handle on this question even after looking at everyone's responses.

Thanks.

I can understand the hang up due to the shift in terms, but you have to go back to what Comparable Worth really means - getting paid fairly for the work provided. Since it has everything to do with getting paid, it is not an illogical stretch to say that the implementation was part of the pay schedules.

KW

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 06:59
I took 6:15 to get all 4 correct. However I don't quite understand the passage after the 2mins initial read, I dont even exactly get what comparable worth is after finishing the questions (which are kinda straightforward imo)

This is the case for quite a few "boring" topics for me. Should I allocate more minutes for the initial read to have a clearer idea? Usuall I jump straight to the questions as soon as the GMATTimer dings
Short reading time (2mins) + long answering time (avg 1:10 each) OR vice versa? Please advise

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 08:35
Yeah - you could probably handle a bit longer read time, but you have to be careful about where you invest that time. You aren't trying to understand every detail on that initial read, but you should understand the main point of the passage. A good way to stay "active" on your read is to do some type of note taking during your read. The style of note taking isn't super important, the act of writing things down as you read can help your mind stay engaged on what you are reading.

I would say 2-3:30 on the passage and 1-1:30 on the questions...

KW

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 254

Schools: IIMB

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 09:33
@
KyleWiddison wrote:

You can also see in the first paragraph this section: "In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities [b]have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so".

Comparable Worth is a new policy because it states that entities have adopted the comparable worth policies over the last decade. The adoption of these policies would represent a change in policy (from a different policy or no policy at all)...

KW

Hi,

I have a query regarding your explanation . As you said The adoption of these policies would represent a change in policy (from a different policy or [i]no policy at all[i]. Not sure how can the lines in the passage "[i]In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so[i] signals change in policy , what I am able to understand it this is a complete new policy in a market which various private sector and public sector organization are thinking to adopt , I fail to see how this is a change in policy. Keeping this reasoning in mind that CW is a new policy I chose D. Not able to understand how is that incorrect . If you can please shed some light.
Will be very grateful.

Regards
Megha

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 254

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 162

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 20:59
Time taken=7:21
Got 2nd question wrong...

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 162

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 09:09
Took 8.26mins ...All correct! Others- please post your time as well.

Thanks.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 112

Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 13:25
Can someone please address this confusion? In the last question, I zeroed down to D and E but chose E, which is wrong. Why is option E wrong?

The last line of the passage clearly states that- "Comparable worth, on the other hand, takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill; may carry similar responsibility; may be carried on in an environment having a similar impact upon the worker; and may have a similar dollar value to the employer."

Option E states that we're going to compare pay schedules of female workers working in hazardous environment with that of people working in similar environments. Doesn't this match with highlighted portion of the last line? Where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance..

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 112

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 00:19
Thats what it is.Tons of practise.may be 20 rc per day.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 01:20
the answer are-
for 1. B
2. B
3. E
however i didn't understand the 4th question and the answer as well ,please clarify if someone can :(

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2017, 01:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap