Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [7]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 403 [9]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1993 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Congressman: The amount of money donated each year to the campaigns [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Congressman: The amount of money donated each year to the campaigns of candidates for elected office has been increasing for decades, and in the vast majority of elections held in recent years, the candidate who has received the most donated money has won. Only after changing campaign finance laws so that they better combat the money driven nature of today’s electoral process will we have a situation such that elections generally result in the most qualified candidates winning.

Which of the following must be assumed in coming to the above conclusion?

A. Voters would be better off if only the government were allowed to provide financing to campaigns of candidates for elected office.

B. It is not usually the case that, of the candidates running in an election, the candidate most qualified for the office sought receives the most in financial donations.

C. In the past, it was not the case that in the vast majority of elections the candidate who had received the most donated money won.

D. Campaign finance laws in effect currently are less effective in combating campaign finance related distortions of the electoral process than were laws in effect in the past.

E. There is no way for the average voter to determine which of the candidates in an election is the most qualified for the office the candidates are seeking.

Source: TTP Beta Testing

MartyTargetTestPrep

After discarding options A C and D . I was down to B and E. I chose B , as that was the link that clicked in my mind as soon as i read the argument.

BUT, i think i can make an argument for E too.
Past pattern : the candidate who has received the most donated money has won.
conclusion : Only after changing campaign finance laws so that they better combat the money driven nature of today’s electoral process will we have a situation such that elections generally result in the most qualified candidates winning.
The conclusion can also be restated as : there is NO OTHER WAY than changing finance laws to get that situation.

In this interpretation we are assuming that there is no other way along with the assumption of CNDITION NO EXISTING ie, even if we dont cahnge finance laws (that asumption is B)

Option E.: There is no way for the average voter to determine which of the candidates in an election is the most qualified for the office the candidates are seeking.
NOW if we negate this by saying : there is a way for the avg voter bla bla bla, Then the condition "only after" does not stand UNLESS the way that we are speaking in E about is the finance way.. That is the avg candidate judges the candidate by the means of amount spent by the candidate !!! If this the case then E is not an assumption. If this is not the case then E is the assumtion
Additionally, Option E alks about "knowing" who is the best candidate but are we sure that the voters vote the same guy?? or are they drawn to money?/

NOW assumptions have to be true for the conclusion to be sound. In this test E doesnt fit in and B wins...

I wsh to know if my reasoning is right, if not please correct me and while doing s please be elaborative !! Thankyou
generis your views on this one
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Congressman: The amount of money donated each year to the campaigns [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AdityaHongunti wrote:
After discarding options A C and D . I was down to B and E. I chose B , as that was the link that clicked in my mind as soon as i read the argument.

BUT, i think i can make an argument for E too.
Past pattern : the candidate who has received the most donated money has won.
conclusion : Only after changing campaign finance laws so that they better combat the money driven nature of today’s electoral process will we have a situation such that elections generally result in the most qualified candidates winning.
The conclusion can also be restated as : there is NO OTHER WAY than changing finance laws to get that situation.

In this interpretation we are assuming that there is no other way along with the assumption of CNDITION NO EXISTING ie, even if we dont cahnge finance laws (that asumption is B)

Option E.: There is no way for the average voter to determine which of the candidates in an election is the most qualified for the office the candidates are seeking.

NOW if we negate this by saying : there is a way for the avg voter bla bla bla, Then the condition "only after" does not stand UNLESS the way that we are speaking in E about is the finance way.. That is the avg candidate judges the candidate by the means of amount spent by the candidate !!! If this the case then E is not an assumption. If this is not the case then E is the assumtion
Additionally, Option E alks about "knowing" who is the best candidate but are we sure that the voters vote the same guy?? or are they drawn to money?/

NOW assumptions have to be true for the conclusion to be sound. In this test E doesnt fit in and B wins...

I wsh to know if my reasoning is right, if not please correct me and while doing s please be elaborative !! Thankyou
generis your views on this one

There is a key issue with E.

The argument is about the influence of money on who gets elected.

E is about whether there is a way, ANY WAY, for the average voter to determine which candidate is the most qualified.

Whether money unduly influences election results and whether there is some way for the average voter to determine which candidate is the most qualified are related but different topics.

Consider the following.

It could be the case that it would be relatively easy for a voter to determine which candidate is most qualified, by doing some research online, for instance, and yet voters do not bother to do so. In such a case, even though voters COULD determine which candidate is most qualified, they don't and, instead, are influenced by well-funded campaigns.

It could also be the case that it is difficult for the average voter to determine which candidate is most qualified, and yet still possible. In such a case, it may be easy to win an election by using a well-funded campaign, and yet, even still, it would not be true that there is NO WAY for the average voter to determine which candidate is most qualified.

So, making the argument that only through changing campaign finance laws will we have a situation such that elections generally result in the most qualified candidates winning does not require assuming that there is NO WAY for the average voter to determine which candidate is most qualified.

I hope that the above effectively addresses your query. If not, please let me know.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Congressman: The amount of money donated each year to the campaigns [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Congressman: The amount of money donated each year to the campaigns [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts