Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Send PM
Re: correlation between no. of incorrect questions and quant raw score? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Varun1193,

Many GMATers find the Quant section, the Verbal section or both to be challenging, so you are not alone. Thankfully, the Verbal section is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. That having been said, statistically-speaking, raising your current level to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require that you commit to at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Based on your current timeline though, you're planning for about 1.5 to 2.5 months of additional study time - and you might end up needing more than that.

1) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
correlation between no. of incorrect questions and quant raw score? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There is no correlation if you take into consideration the whole spectrum of data.

There is so correlation if you look at the middle 30% of data but that’s cherry-picking. Due to the way the algorithm works, it is not possible to evaluate performance based on the number of incorrect answers. They could all be of a different difficulty. There are also implications of early and late questions. If you miss many questions upfront, you will never catch up.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: correlation between no. of incorrect questions and quant raw score? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
There is no correlation if you take into consideration the whole spectrum of data.

There is so correlation if you look at the middle 30% of data but that’s cherry-picking. Due to the way the algorithm works, it is not possible to evaluate performance based on the number of incorrect answers. They could all be of a different difficulty. There are also implications of early and late questions. If you miss many questions upfront, you will never catch up.

Posted from my mobile device

In this case how should I look at these scores? So that I can make a strategy ahead. I am looking at q48 atleast.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Varun1193,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize - and it considers far more than just the number of correct and incorrect answers. It's also worth noting that you will see a number of 'Experimental' questions that do NOT count towards your Score (so how you performed on those questions could lead to the 'disparity' that you have noted in your 2 CAT/mock restyles).

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Studies:

1) I have been studying for the last 4 months. For last 2 months, I have been studying around 3 hrs a day.

2) I have used OG and Jamboree online portal. Have started with Egmat for verbal from the last week.

3) Test dates and scores:
a) ManhattanPrep Test: Nov 15 2020 (Q29, V16 gave with no prep)
b) Official Test 1: Mar 23 2021 (Q42, V7 where I did not attempt the verbal section as I was not confident)
c) Official Test 2: Apr 11 2021 (Q44, V15 I fairly understand the verbal concepts but am just unable to approach questions which broke me during the test)

Goals:

4) 700+ is what I am aiming at. (May end or June first half is when I am planning to take the test.)
5) ISB India, NUS Singapore, Duke Fuqua US.

After yesterday's test I am feeling a bit lost. Don't know where I am going wrong in verbal and how should I perceive the quant scores. Not able to decide the strategy ahead.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Varun1193 wrote:
I have given the free official practice tests.

In test 1 I scored Q42 with 9 questions incorrect, while in the second one I scored Q44 with 17 incorrect.

What should I make out of these figures?

I understand the basic working of the algorithm but am unable to comprehend such inconsistent numbers.

How should I judge my progress? Please help.

Hi Varun1193,

Number of questions is not the right parameter to assess the score. GMAT algorithm is a lot more complex than that. You can go through the below article and recording to understand it better.

How to calculate GMAT scores?

Hope it helped. Feel free to get in touch if you have any more queries.

Click here to schedule a call
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Varun1193,

Many GMATers find the Quant section, the Verbal section or both to be challenging, so you are not alone. Thankfully, the Verbal section is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. That having been said, statistically-speaking, raising your current level to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require that you commit to at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Based on your current timeline though, you're planning for about 1.5 to 2.5 months of additional study time - and you might end up needing more than that.

1) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Okay. Thanks for the input on the expected time that would be required.

1) I am planning to take the GMAT at a Test Facility.
2) I will be able to give around 35-40 hrs a week.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
correlation between no. of incorrect questions and quant raw score? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Varun1193,

Since you have questions regarding how the GMAT is scored, here is a helpful article:

How Is the GMAT Exam Scored?

If you need any advice on how to move forward with your GMAT studying, feel free to reach out.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Varun1193,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot