Last visit was: 31 May 2024, 16:48 It is currently 31 May 2024, 16:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Alumni Lecture Series Inaugurated with Randy Lai Shedding Light on Bus [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Alumni Lecture Series Inaugurated with Randy Lai Shedding Light on Business Innovation
Through the sharing of outstanding alumni with profound industry experience, this series aims to further develop students and alumni’s knowledge across different business fields, and to broaden their horizons.

Group Photo with all guests and participants; Randy Lai (first row, fifth from the right), CEO of McDonald’s Hong Kong
Professor Lin Zhou, Dean of theCUHK Business School, kick-started the session with an opening remark, “One of the key missions of the CUHK Business School is to nurture business leaders. We have been doing great throughout the past decades. Many of our alumni are successful leaders in the business world and society. They hold prominent positions in companies in different scales and different industries, contributing to the economic development of Hong Kong, China and other parts of the world in a great deal. Not only are they successful, but they also have so much to give. We are really blessed that they are eager to share their knowledge and experience with fellow students of their alma mater.”

Prof. Lin Zhou (right), Dean of the CUHK Business School, presenting a Certificate of Appreciation to Randy Lai (left) to recognise her unwavering support to CUHK Business School
Randy was then introduced onto the stage by a round of applause. She has been the CEO of McDonald’s Hong Kong since 2015, leading over 245 restaurants and 15,000 employees to serve over one million customers per day. Randy is not only the first CEO of McDonald’s Hong Kong who was locally born and raised, she was also the first female Managing Director of McDonald’s Singapore in 2010. She graduated from CUHK’s EMBA programme in 2005 and is currently an Adjunct Associate Professor here.

After going through her professional background and career development path, Randy went on to explain in detail how the brand essence – “Food, Folks and Fun” – brought McDonald’s Hong Kong to its position today and engaged the audience with interactive games. She emphasised that the drive behind innovation and breakthrough originates from the connection the brand has with the young generation, whose preferences and values should be embraced with the help of effective communication channels established via three pillars, namely “Modern”, “Authentic” and “Community”. Concluding from her marketing experience, she encouraged students and alumni in the business field to understand others from different perspectives, encourage co-creation and put faith into action.

Students participated in the interactive sessions with great enthusiasm at Alumni Lecture Series with Randy Lai (EMBA 2005)
To further the dialogue, Randy was joined by Dr. Rosette Leung, Lecturer in the Department of Marketing, and three student moderators in a subsequent Q&A session. She took questions from online and offline participants and responded in great detail. The fruitful evening was concluded with thunderous applause from the audience.

Randy Lai (EMBA 2005) stayed behind to continue her conversation with the students after the session
First published in the CUHK Business School Alumni Portalon 20 December 2021, this article was republished with permission from the School’s Alumni and Corporate Affairs Office.

The post Alumni Lecture Series Inaugurated with Randy Lai Shedding Light on Business Innovation appeared first on CUHK Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
A Global Citizen’s Quest to Step Out, Step Up and Step Ahead [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: A Global Citizen’s Quest to Step Out, Step Up and Step Ahead
Born in Cameroon, Deric grew up between his native home and Thailand and received his bachelor’s degree in Bangkok. Apart from gaining global exposure by working in Bangkok, Singapore, Manila, Shanghai and Hong Kong, he enrolled in CUHK’s Master of Science (MSc) in Information Technology Management (ITM) to hone the technical and managerial capabilities essential to any manager in this IT-driven age – completing the programme with a place on the Dean’s List.

“I firmly believe in the popular saying by Dhaval Gaudier, ‘The only thing stopping you from where you are to where you want to go is your comfort zone’. So, I try to step out and better myself the best I can.”

Following an Adventurous Heart
Even at a young age, Deric knew that adventure is in his DNA: “I realised that being in a new place and surrounding myself with people of different values would allow me to better understand myself and the world I’m a part of. I’m always striving to find new experiences to learn and grow.” To accomplish this benevolent goal, Deric has continuously been picking up new languages to augment his global explorations. He speaks French, English, Thai and Chinese, opining that every language opens a door to a new culture. “Being a polyglot has unlocked new friendships and connections, no matter where I am.”

After moving to Thailand with his family and graduating with first class honours from Bachelor of Arts in International Business at the Rajamangala University of Technology, Krungthep, Deric worked briefly in Bangkok. However, he soon began his regional career. Joining Rhenus Logistics Asia Pacific in Singapore as a corporate management trainee, he had the opportunity to work in Manila, Shanghai and eventually Hong Kong, where he has stayed after falling head over heels for the city.

“Like so many expats in Hong Kong, I only intended to live here for a year, but inevitably fell in love with every single thing about the place. I’ve never felt safer than I do when I am in Hong Kong. The city provides such a convenient ecosystem and a panoply of lifestyle options. I can easily connect with the people here who are very open and respectful. Not to mention the fantastic eateries and restaurants that serve up a plethora of cuisines. I’m in love with Hong Kong milk tea!”

Satisfying a Desire for IT Management Prowess
Driven by a passion for innovation, digitalisation and information technology (IT), Deric recognises the need for digital transformation in the logistics industry. He decided to pursue a master’s degree in IT to enhance his competitiveness and augment his worth for the field.

“I wanted to find a programme that could not only give me a foundational understanding of disruptive technologies such as AI, machine learning and business intelligence, but also teach me practical skills to implement digital transformation strategies. CUHK Business School’s MSc in ITM offered exactly that, and I decided to go for it.”

An Enlightening, Rewarding and Exciting Experience

The MSc in ITM programme allowed me to access so many opportunities I never knew existed.

— Deric Stephane

Enrolling in the programme as a part-time student in 2019, Deric found the journey with CUHK to be “enlightening, rewarding and exciting”. He explained, “The programme allowed me to access so many opportunities I never knew existed. I really enjoyed how practical the programme was, and I really appreciate how the industry experts in the programme shared their experiences with real-world examples from various domains.”

Deric also revelled in learning with classmates from different backgrounds: “We were assigned group projects with members from various industries. We would have a marketing expert, an internal strategy consultant from a bank and a financial regulatory manager – a team that would never have come together otherwise. Somehow, this arrangement proved to be effective. We were able to understand how others operate, and could learn to work with diverse talents and capabilities. The experience also helped in my professional work at Rhenus, informing me how to build and lead innovative, multicultural teams, even from thousands of kilometres away. This was exactly what I did when I was assigned to lead my company’s first fully-automated warehouse project in Hong Kong, worked on IT projects in Singapore and Mainland China, and is what I am doing now in the Greater Bay Area.”

He observes that the knowledge he gained from CUHK has enabled him to harness the power of disruptive technologies and create effective business strategies to manage digital transformation. This booster of competencies has come at the right time. Just as Deric was completing his master’s degree, he was promoted from Business Application Manager to Head of Innovation and Business Application in Greater China at Rhenus, with the dual role of “Regional Financial Controller”.

“I can apply what I learnt at CUHK to motivate others to tackle innovative IT projects. It has become easier for me to drive things forward within my line of responsibility at Rhenus, promote digital innovation and adoption, enhance customer experience with technology and help my organisation become a sustainability-focused, tech-savvy logistics company.”

The Social Purpose of Innovation
Deric’s enthusiasm for IT does not blind him to the people technological innovations are developed for. Aside from applying innovation as a force for the betterment of his company’s customers and staff, Deric served as a freelance copywriter for Unique Access Medical in Singapore to give back to society with his knowledge of IT. Deric wanted to help cancer patients explore alternate treatment options, such as revolutionary stem cell treatments, that are safer than traditional radioactive treatments such as chemotherapy. Someday in the future, he also hopes to invest in developing opportunities for his peers in Africa, Middle East, Thailand and beyond.

Living Life in Ways That Are Meaningful

I want to be able to look in the mirror each morning and feel proud of what I see – a better person every day.

— Deric Stephane

With the world rapidly evolving every minute, it is no longer possible to predict what jobs will be the most sought after in the future. Deric encourages the students of CUHK to embrace a growth mindset so that they can adapt to and learn from any circumstance they may encounter. He added that maintaining a digital mindset is also vital, as a core understanding of data can help make better and faster decisions. He believes that it will soon become a key skill for any leader.

Deric himself continues to embrace new possibilities by learning voraciously throughout his career. While he was hunkering down for COVID, he signed up for Python programming courses as part of a personal quest to equip himself with the tools required to compete in a technology-driven business world.

“I’m guided by one core life principle, ‘To be authentic to yourself and make conscious decisions to live life in ways that are meaningful’. I want to be able to look in the mirror each morning and feel proud of what I see – a better person every day. At the end of the day, I also want to encourage more people to help make our world a better place by creating an atmosphere of inclusion and opportunity for all.”

Thinking of advancing yourself in the new normal? Explore what’s in your future with CUHK Business School’s programmes.

Learn more

The post A Global Citizen’s Quest to Step Out, Step Up and Step Ahead appeared first on CUHK Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
CUHK Business – January 2022 [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business – January 2022

Our Research

Social Responsibility • Economics & Finance

Are Institutional Investors Taking Stock of Climate Change?

By Prof. Darwin Choi, Prof. Zhenyu Gao, Prof. Wenxi Jiang

CUHK research shows investors are avoiding investing in high emission stocks due to growing environmental awareness and such actions have led public firms to reduce their carbon footprints

Social Responsibility

Peering Through the Kaleidoscope of ESG Rating Confusion

By Prof. Si Cheng

Research points out that the inconsistent ESG scores provided by different rating agencies create confusion and can deter investors from buying green stocks.

Innovation & Technology • Social Responsibility

Leaning on Innovation to Combat Plastic Pollution in Oceans

By Prof. Sean Zhou

CUHK research studies firms in the plastic recycling industry that create ecosystems using blockchain technology and finds they can generate environmental impact and reduce local poverty while being financially sustainable

Consumer Behaviour

Can Experiencing a Disaster Alter Spending Habits?

By Prof. Jaimie Lien

New research in China suggests earthquake survivors tend to spend more on entertainment and other instantly gratifying activities while cutting back on education expenses.

Our People

Alumni Story
Leading McDonald’s to New Frontiers with Innovation and Change

As an integral part of Hong Kong’s social fabric for 46 years, McDonald’s has always been one of the most beloved fast food brands. Randy Lai (EMBA 2005), CEO of McDonald’s Hong Kong, took the reins in 2011 and continued the vision of Mr Daniel Ng, “Father of McDonald’s Hong Kong”, to integrate Western fast food into the Hong Kong culture and evolve the business with innovation.

Faculty Story
Driving Social Purpose through Innovative Business Education

In Dr. Fred Ku’s physical and virtual classrooms, it is not uncommon to find students playing simulation games, working on business cases or even creating short videos to present economic concepts. The economics scholar loves to create innovative learning experiences to engage students and take them beyond the realm of textbooks and theories.

Alumni Story

An iBanker Turns Entrepreneur to Build Better Medical Care

Former investment banker Daniel Ni (MBA 2018) has long wanted “to dream and to build” for greater social good. Seeking inspiration, he took his entrepreneurial dream to CUHK Business School, where he found his way, a sea of support and a mentor he calls his “bólè”.

Alumni Whereabouts
Global Alumni Ambassadors Programme: Forging Stronger Connections Worldwide

With an extensive alumni network of over 40,000 members worldwide, CUHK Business School always prioritises fostering a closer bond among the community. Thanks to the unfailing support of devoted alumni who shared our mission, 73 ambassadors from 6 continents are readily in place to advocate the School’s global presence.

Our Happenings

Read Online

Download PDF

Want even more insights? Subscribe to the monthly digest of China Business Knowledge and our biannual CUHK Business School magazine now!

About CUHK Business
CUHK Business School’s magazine CUHK Business provides a platform to inform readers of selected business topics and school updates through articles written by staff and guest writers. Situated at the world’s doorway to China, with a well developed foundation in business education and research, CUHK Business School has a unique role in nurturing business leaders of tomorrow. We hope you will find the articles interesting and stimulating.

The post CUHK Business – January 2022 appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
A Balanced Approach to Engender Win-Win for Traders and Consumers [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: A Balanced Approach to Engender Win-Win for Traders and Consumers
It has been nearly 10 years since Gilly left the Hong Kong Tourism Board, her first venture outside of the private sector, and became the Chief Executive of the Consumer Council. Since taking up the job, Gilly’s colleagues have trained her to become a prudent and rational consumer. “In the past, I didn’t give too much thought about how I shopped,” Gilly said. “Now, I will do my homework and compare quality and prices. When I buy food, I will also examine the nutrition labels. My eating habits have changed because of this.” Infusing her work knowledge into daily life, she now finds immense joy in smart consumption. She has even identified as a consumption guru among her friends.

Stepping up for Vulnerable Consumers
The Consumer Council receives an average of 20,000 to 30,000 complaints every year. Gilly said while the cases come with all sorts of peculiarities, a sizeable proportion involves unfair trade practices targeting vulnerable consumers: “Some traders applied high-pressure sales tactics on mentally challenged consumers, coercing them to max out their credit cards and also compelling the victims to withdraw money from their bank accounts or even borrow from money lenders. Others have coaxed students from families receiving Comprehensive Social Security Assistance to spend their entire tuition allowance on their programmes or treatments.” Certain cases even ran up to over a million dollars and the victims had no choice but to declare bankruptcy, causing enormous financial loss and psychological strain on their families. For this reason, the Consumer Council not only helps consumers resolve conflicts but also organises public education campaigns to help vulnerable consumers better protect themselves, learn how to turn down high-pressure sales tactics and avoid becoming victims.

Tackling Internal and External Challenges with a Cool Head
Heading the Consumer Council’s nine divisions each day, Gilly considers identifying and deploying the right people for the right job to be the key. She is glad that all of her colleagues embrace a sense of purpose in their work and perform all their duties with utmost professionalism. When asked about her management philosophy, Gilly repeatedly emphasised “equanimity”, explaining that only a calm mind can generate intelligence. She has remained a cool-headed person since she was young, and her tai chi and meditation practice enabled her to channel the relevant wisdom into her life and work. According to her, challenges should be handled with poise and finesse, and fire should never be fought with fire.

Gilly’s office is decorated with plants and Chinese paintings to inspire calmness and tranquillity.

As a statutory body, the Consumer Council is required to be fair in all its decisions. Decisions can easily become biased or misguided with just a hint of impatience or carelessness. “On my door is a calligraphy artwork of a saying from Tao Te Ching — ‘the supreme virtue is to be like water’. It is a motto of mine and a reminder to my colleagues.” When faced with many unresolved problems, Gilly said it is important to be shrewd and to always consider the time, the place and the people involved during decision-making to make the right judgement. “Take the example of purchasing property outside of Hong Kong. When the economy dipped seven years ago, not many people would pay attention to our report pertaining to this type of consumption. Now with more people purchasing property overseas, it is time for our work to come into play.”

While some people opine that the Consumer Council tends to side with consumers, Gilly vehemently disagrees: “Our responsibility is to maintain a fair market shared equitably by consumers and traders. The market will flourish when more valuable choices are available for consumers, and traders will certainly benefit in return.” In addition to educating the public, Gilly and her team maintain close communication with industry players, even helping them at times to establish codes and provide guidelines. She said the Consumer Council seeks to understand the concerns of businesses and consumers to help industries grow while protecting the fair choice of consumers. Although the Council has received legal complaints from traders over the years, it has never failed to maintain its objective, stringent product testing methods and procedures. The truth speaks for itself, eventually.

“Opportunities abound in the Hong Kong market. As long as traders adhere to a good balance between profits and business ethics, and to do their part, consumers will take notice,” says Gilly Wong (BBA 1988), Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Consumer Council.
Gilly revealed that e-commerce will be the Council’s upcoming focus: “Online shopping has already become a part of daily life. Yet, this has also spawned a gamut of new challenges, including consumers not receiving delivery even after payment, not getting what they purchased and eco-problems with over-packaging.”

2021 marks the 45th anniversary of the Consumer Council’s CHOICE magazine. Gilly noted that the magazine has stayed close to the trends, including featuring the boy band, Mirror, on the cover two years ago before they became a local sensation. Looking forward, she hopes that the Consumer Council can enhance its reach and ride on the digital wave to propagate its messages and promote sustainable consumption to more consumers, thereby improving everyone’s standard of living.

Cherishing Campus Learning Opportunities
As she reminisced her studies at the CUHK Business School, Gilly claimed to have been deeply influenced by CUHK’s motto, “Through learning and temperance to virtue”, and the always-learning spirit that the school instils in its students. She was grateful for the many learning opportunities that allowed her to build a solid foundation in business while expanding her knowledge in other subjects through elective courses and auditing classes she was interested in.

At university, Gilly actively involved herself in various extracurricular activities, such as jazz dancing, to cultivate diverse interests.

University life opened Gilly’s eyes in more ways than one. She is keen to give back to society through her work.

Gilly hopes that CUHK alumni will go on to become loyal supporters of the Consumer Council and adopt a proactive interest in consumption information and consumer rights: “Traders must conduct their business responsibly, while consumers should do well to consume rationally and smartly. It is only then that win-win balanced outcomes can be achieved.”

First published in the CUHK Business School Alumni Portal on 9 December 2021 and the iMoney magazine on 18 December 2021, this article was republished with permission from the School’s Alumni and Corporate Affairs Office.

The post A Balanced Approach to Engender Win-Win for Traders and Consumers appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Up Close and Personal with the Private Equity Legend Dr. Weijian Shan [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Up Close and Personal with the Private Equity Legend Dr. Weijian Shan
“‘Legend’ is the only word to describe Dr. Shan,” said Prof. Lawrence Lau, former Vice-Chancellor, Ralph and Claire Landau Professor of Economics, CUHK, as he made the opening remarks for the evening book launch event.

Dr. Shan is the Chairman and CEO of Pacific Alliance Group (PAG), a leading Asian private equity firm. Prior to PAG, Dr. Shan was co-managing partner of TPG Asia, formerly known as Newbridge Capital, which sought to acquire Korea First Bank during the Asian financial crisis in 1997–1998. From a high-stakes deal to a massively profitable investment, this legendary transaction was orchestrated by Dr. Shan.

As the chief architect of the iconic deal, Dr. Shan gave a sneak preview of his insider’s views on the acquisition and the private equity industry detailed in his publication. Touching the hearts of many, Dr. Shan shared his enthralling life story and thought-provoking wisdom that transcend borders and cultures.

Looking back at his legendary career, Dr. Shan believes that “luck and good judgement are incredibly important”, but no one should just wait for the luck to come.

“We live to learn and experience. Be ready to seize every opportunity that the world has to offer.” For young investors, Dr. Shan advises that the sense of ownership is key to success.

“There is no short cut. Take one step at a time, and focus on doing everything well.”

In his book, Dr. Shan not only story-tells how private equity investors strike bargains, turn around mega businesses and create immense value over time, but also sheds light on overcoming challenging cultural differences.

The first of its kind, the event was jointly organised by CUHK Business School and CUHK Press, and co-organised by The Hong Kong-Shenzhen Finance Research Centre.

From left to right: Prof. Ling Cen, Associate Professor of Finance, CUHK Business School; Prof. Lin Zhou, Dean of the CUHK Business School; Dr. Weijian Shan; Prof. Lawrence Lau, former Vice-Chancellor, Ralph and Claire Landau Professor of Economics, CUHK; Prof. Seen-Meng Chew, Associate Professor of Practice in Finance and the Associate Dean (External Engagement) at CUHK Business School; Ms. Gan Qi, Director of CUHK Press; Prof. Michael Zhang, Professor of Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics and the Associate Dean (Innovation and Impact), CUHK Business School

Dr. Shan shared his insider’s view on the private equity industry.

Engaged audience actively participated in the question and answer session.

The post Up Close and Personal with the Private Equity Legend Dr. Weijian Shan appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Business School Students Clinch Champion and 2nd Runner-up in HKICPA B [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Business School Students Clinch Champion and 2nd Runner-up in HKICPA Business Case Competition 2021
The champion team was also crowned Best Written Proposal out of the 520 business proposals submitted, while two outstanding members were recognised Best Presenter among approximately 2,500 students.

Every year, the HKICPA Business Case Competition connects tertiary students with diverse educational backgrounds from Mainland of China, Hong Kong and Macau, putting their academic competencies and business knowhow into test for real-life challenges. During the process, it hopes to cultivate professional judgement among the participants and enhance their global perspectives. In 2021, the case “Tailoring for the perfect fit” is built around the fashion industry.

Dr. Yiu Yu Butt, Lecturer and Associate Director, PACC Programme, CUHK Business School celebrated with the winning team for their impressive achievement in HKICPA Business Case Competition 2021.

“Being open-minded and reaching out to people from different fields is crucial,” reflected Colin Chin-cheuk Tam (Professional Accountancy [PACC], Year 2), leader of the champion team and the only PACC student in the team. “Having members from various programmes allows us to think from multiple perspectives and create innovative yet feasible solutions.”

Colin appreciated the valuable journey and looked beyond, “I hope my experience can inspire my friends to step out of their comfort zones, which is key to future success.”

Stella Sin-yu Chen (Global Business Studies [GBS], Year 1) from the champion team and Kevin Yu-hin Cheung (Bachelor of Business Administration (Integrated BBA Programme) and Juris Doctor [BBA-JD], Year 1) from the 2nd runner-up team were both awarded Best Presenter. In the Competition. They were able to expand their business thinking and put their talents into full play.

“I must credit the GLOBE programme for the rigorous case analysis training they gave in the first month of my university studies. It has laid a good foundation in my analytic abilities and allowed me to develop case presentation skills in a short space of time,” Stella remarked. ”It marked a rewarding start to my university life .”

2nd Runner-up team

Stella and Kevin were awarded Best Presenter.

Winning teams and students include:

Champion

2nd Runner-up

• Ka-hei Cheung (GBS, Year 1)
  • Yat-long Chan (IBBA, Year 1)
  • Kevin Yu-hin Cheung (BBA-JD, Year 1)
  • Ming-yan Choy (BBA-JD, Year 1).
Best Written Proposal

• Champion Team
Best Presenter

• Stella Sin-yu Chen (GBS, Year 1)
  • Kevin Yu-hin Cheung (BBA-JD, Year 1)
Photo courtesy of HKICPA

The post Business School Students Clinch Champion and 2nd Runner-up in HKICPA Business Case Competition 2021 appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
MoU signed between CUHK, Foshan Shunde Office of the Leading Group for [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: MoU signed between CUHK, Foshan Shunde Office of the Leading Group for the Development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area of the People’s Government of Foshan Shunde District, and Shunde Foundation for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Located in Shunde Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Collaborative Development and Cooperation Zone, “He Innovation Space” stretches over 3,800m2 and is endowed with a laboratory, multi-function hall, exhibition hall, 300 workstations and 20 independent offices.

The GBA Innovation Cooperation Centre is the core component of “He Innovation Space”. With the CfE and CfB’s wealth of experience over the past 16 years in bringing in entrepreneurs, international resources and cross-generational entrepreneurship, the Centre is positioned to foster a sustainable environment for startups to flourish.

Prof. Alan Chan, Provost of CUHK, remarked in the opening speech at the ceremony: “With the signing of this MoU, we hope to foster a sustainable environment conducive to innovation and entrepreneurship in Shunde and Hong Kong. The Innovation Cooperation Centre will seek to bring synergy with CUHK Hong Kong—Shenzhen Innovation and Technology Research Institute and CUHK Business School’s campus in Luohu. Through these efforts, we hope to diversify economic development for aspiring entrepreneurs in the GBA, infusing new vibes and momentum into the area of strategic development and technological transformation.

Mr. Fan Zhang, Deputy District Mayor of the People’s Government of Foshan Shunde District, also pointed out that, “Shunde has always striven to establish itself as a robust industrial zone and a high technology and development zone. Actively promoting in-depth cooperation in various fields among Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Macau, Shunde is shaping to become an important window for the world to understand China’s Greater Bay Area. We hope that ‘He Innovation Space’ will become the cradle connecting Shunde and Hong Kong’s scientific research achievements, and a hot spot for youth innovation and entrepreneurship in Guangfo, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Macau.”

Representatives to sign the MoU: Mr. Guosheng Qiu, Executive Deputy Director of Shunde GBA Office (seated, left, on the left screen); Ms. Yunqi Ye, Executive Director & Secretary General of SDIEF (seated, right, on the left screen) and Prof. Kevin Au, Director, Centre for Entrepreneurship CfE and CfB of CUHK (seated, right, on the right screen).

(From left to right) Prof. Kenneth S. Law, Chairman, Department of Management of CUHK Business School; Prof. Lin Zhou, Dean of CUHK Business School; Prof. Alan Chan, Provost of CUHK; Prof. Kevin Au, Director, Centre for Entrepreneurship CfE and CfB; Prof. Chan Wai-yee, Ph.D., Pro-Vice-Chancellor; Prof. Yeung Yam, Dean of Shenzhen Research Institute, CUHK; Prof. Benny Zee, Director of ORKTS posed for a group photo at the MoU signing ceremony.

The post MoU signed between CUHK, Foshan Shunde Office of the Leading Group for the Development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area of the People’s Government of Foshan Shunde District, and Shunde Foundation for Innovation and Entrepreneurship appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Meeting Market Appetites with a Distinctive Tam Jai Taste [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Meeting Market Appetites with a Distinctive Tam Jai Taste
Daren has forged his career in the food and beverage (F&B) industry for over three decades. From five-star hotel to fast food, his vast management expertise spans an array of roles. He has observed Hong Kong’s food evolution from a front-row seat. “At first, the local food culture was predominantly Cantonese cuisine. Then, western foods such as macaroni and egg tarts worked their way into daily diets. And in recent years, elements of Japanese cuisine are gaining a wider foothold in local menus.” Tam Jai’s mixian, a type of rice noodles, took its inspiration from Hong Kong’s “cart noodles” and incorporates Sichuan and Hunan influences as well as novel local elements. It has turned what was once a street snack into a widely popular dish served by a city-wide chain.

Daren said Tam Jai’s unique style encapsulates the essence of Hong Kong’s “cart noodles” with influences of southwestern Chinese cuisines. This has enabled Tam Jai to build an enviable brand.

Unleashing Greater Brand Value through Bold Playfulness
Tam Jai’s ascendancy into a fixture in this “gastronomic paradise” owes a great deal to Daren. His wide-ranging industry experience, ears to the ground and innovative spirit have injected much impetus into the chain. When he worked for the US restaurant chain TGI Friday’s, Daren was sent to the US for six months of training. During that time, not only did he learn about franchising, he also realised an important truth: “In order for a restaurant to be loved by diners, it must be connected to the local culture and integrated into the local life.”

Given restaurants’ customer-facing nature, Daren said it is not difficult to find out whether or not they are meeting the customers’ tastes and needs. So as long as they are continually innovating, experimenting and adapting, Tam Jai will feel the pulse of the market. Daren said that, besides flavours, being bold and playful in marketing is also vital. A few years ago, the “Tam Jai Jeh Jeh” and their accent-ridden Cantonese, the “Tam Jai dialect”, became an online fad. Daren noticed that most comments were positive, and the staff took it well, “They see speaking Cantonese as part of their job and they’re trying hard to serve customers using the local language while integrating into the culture of Hong Kong. Their positivity is truly commendable.” Seizing the moment, Daren and his team decided to turn the online fad into a brand asset, even elevating the language into a trend.

“Keeping an eye on customer needs is the most important in the F&B business. You must also stay close to market changes and be bold in innovating, experimenting and adapting,” says Daren Lau (OneMBA 2011), Chairman, Executive Director and CEO of Tam Jai International Co. Ltd.
This creative and playful spirit was recently extended to the 25th anniversary celebrations of TamJai Yunnan Mixian. They formed a girl band and put on a fashion show to demonstrate the confidence and talents of the “Tam Jai Jeh Jeh”. “Our staff are our greatest assets and they are our brand’s touchpoints with customers. What we did not only generated greater value for our brand, it also engendered a more pleasant and enjoyable working environment for us. In fact, even our management team was touched by their enthusiasm.”

Daren said the “Tam Jai Jeh Jeh” are the brand’s key asset. He hopes to create more opportunities and platforms for them to manifest their passion and creativity.

Tam Jai recently engaged the students of HKDI to design their uniforms for 25 years later (year 2046). At the fashion show, Daren joined the finale dressed as a “fashion godfather”, embodying the brand’s bold and playful spirit.

Two-Way Communication Engenders Closer Relations
Although Daren is close with his staff, he is also known for his high standards. He described himself having a “reasonably demanding” management style with empathy: “Perhaps because I started my career at the Peninsula Hotel, I know where the bar should be set. Yet, having worked in so many positions over the years, I also understand where the difficulties are in meeting the standards. When colleagues come to me with their problems, I always try to keep the dialogue open and work out the issues together.”

Today, Tam Jai’s two restaurant chains, TamJai Yunnan Mixian and TamJai SamGor Mixian, have a combined number of more than 150 branches across Hong Kong. The enormous number of staff makes it impossible for Daren to meet everyone all the time. Because of this, Daren will try to convey the company’s key objectives, demands and messages to every employee through regular meetings and branch visits. Employees can also share their feedback or thoughts during tea gatherings. This two-way communication enables the senior executives and the frontline staff to connect. Operations and management can also be better aligned and more people-centric.

Daren started as a trainee in Peninsula from 1988 to 1991 and had the opportunity to explore various departments and positions in the hotel. This experience ascertained his passion for F&B.

Internationalising Some Common Fare
Daren recently led Tai Jai International to launch an IPO and to open branches in such places as Singapore and Shenzhen. He revealed that his next goal is to bring Tam Jai’s local, everyday noodles to the world stage. “During the pandemic, we focused on standardising our products to maintain greater quality consistency. Coupled with our mixian’s greatest advantages—it’s easy to make with a myriad of menu possibilities—we’re confident that employees anywhere can capably master the techniques and let Hong Kong people or locals anywhere savour the authentic ‘Tam Jai Taste’.”

In October 2021, Daren led Tam Jai International to become listed on the HKEX Main Board. He said their next goal is to bring the brand to the world stage.

Developing Progressive Thinking Through Continuing Education
Working in F&B is never relaxing. Having leapt from the frontlines to the C-suite, Daren is cognisant of the importance of management knowledge. For this reason, he decided to go back to school around 10 years ago to upgrade himself: “The curriculum of CUHK Business School allowed me to build on my professional experience and augment my management techniques. We also had the opportunity to visit multiple countries and learnt to keep an eye on the business landscape in different regions. All this enabled me to be more forward-looking in business development.”

During his studies at CUHK Business School, Daren visited Mexico and the Netherlands. In addition to experiencing different cultures, he learnt about various business models.

With the rapid shifts in global and local markets, Daren encourages his fellow alumni who are working in the F&B industry not to become dispirited, “Even though our industry was hit hard in the past few years, the most important part is to keep our focus on customers and bring our products closer to them so that we can come out on top. There may be market changes beyond our control, so we must be prepared for any contingency.”

First published in the CUHK Business School Alumni Portal on 6 January 2022 and the iMoney magazine on 15 January 2022, this article was republished with permission from the School’s Alumni and Corporate Affairs Office.

The post Meeting Market Appetites with a Distinctive Tam Jai Taste appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
From An Ordinary to Influential Entrepreneur: Embracing Averageness an [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: From An Ordinary to Influential Entrepreneur: Embracing Averageness and Ignorance
Winnie Lee started her business before graduating from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. She founded the Spread-it platform to bring together university students who are active on social media to become “micro-influencers” and help brands gain exposure. Although people start up for all sorts of reasons, Winnie’s main goal was to demonstrate the power of “ordinary” people. Through Spread-it, she wants to show that anyone can be influential—that even an ordinary girl like her can achieve great success through hard work and ingenuity. She often encourages those around her to try, saying: “Embrace the ignorance of youth. It has enabled me to be fearless of failure in whatever I do. It has also given me the strength to make various attempts and discover fresh possibilities.”

With a major in International Business and Chinese Enterprise, Winnie said entrepreneurship has always been a part of her life. At CUHK Business School, she was frequently required to submit business proposals for class and compete in case competitions. Inspired by a plethora of business ideas, she has experimented with a postcard-sending platform, a service that helps students express their love on their behalf, and a food delivery service that engaged with those returning to campus to bring food. Although none of these ventures were successful, Winnie was unfazed, and she doubled down on her entrepreneurial pursuit with Spread-it. “I believe that even ordinary people have power and that anyone can be a micro-influencer. When you post something on social media, you’re already spreading information and influencing family and friends.”

Each micro-influencer may only have dozens or hundreds of followers. However, because they have a closer relationship with their followers, the product information they share carries greater credibility.

Helping Brands Gain Access to University Students
Winnie’s numerous start-up attempts led her to a multitude of brands. She observed that brands were having difficulty in reaching university students. “If brands want to set up kiosks on campus to promote themselves to the students, they have to follow a lot of rules. However, social media makes this simpler and easier. Since brands spend money to promote themselves to the younger generation, and university students like to work part-time jobs to earn pocket money, I decided to launch a platform to connect the two.”

The Spread-it platform is open to anyone who has 500 to 1,000 followers and their photo posts have an average of 50 likes or more. When these micro-influencers see promotion campaigns on Spread-it that they are interested in, they can apply to take part. They will be vetted by the brands, and those who are chosen will be able to “share” the product information on social media and get paid. “Unlike celebrities or KOLs, these micro-influencers aren’t demanding and don’t impose a lot of constraints. They only promote the products that they genuinely like. Even though micro-influencers don’t have the same level of popularity as KOLs, their influence aggregates and amplifies.”

The start-up organises regular Spreadian Club activities for its members to foster bonding and help members expand their social networks.

After years of development, Spread-it now has more than 20,000 micro-influencers and has collaborated with hundreds of brands. Winnie was even named a Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia honouree in 2020. Despite her success, Winnie admitted that she had considered quitting several times. “However, every time I wanted to give up, a new twist would appear. It could be a new client, a new team member or a new idea that would help the company grow in the fast-changing market.

Indeed, no matter whether you’re a colossal enterprise or a fledgling start-up, no one can tell you whether your next step is right or wrong. You must continue to try new things and take risks. Only by pressing on will you be able to discover new opportunities. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck in your comfort zone. Because of this, entrepreneurs must have an exploratory spirit. They must also be emotionally mature and grounded in order to calmly deal with the anxiety, hesitation and anger brought on by the unexpected twists and turns along their entrepreneurial journeys.”

Putting Her Name in Google’s Hat and Succeeding on the First Try
Winnie runs to keep herself from falling back into her comfort zone. “I don’t particularly enjoy jogging. Just that whenever I felt too exhausted to carry on, I’d wonder how I could accomplish anything if I couldn’t even persevere in such a simple task. This has helped me build up my tenacity. Before the pandemic, I would travel to or volunteer in places such as India, Nepal and Cambodia every year. I would always remind myself not to become too complacent, or I would slow down or stop growing entirely.”

Jogging is more than just a sport for Winnie; it is a way for her to hone her perseverance.

While perseverance and hard work are essential, it is also critical to know how to capitalise on opportunities. Before she started her own business, Winnie had fancied working at Google. She took the courage to write a letter to Google to recommend herself, and was able to secure an internship opportunity during the summer of Year 1. Even though she later discovered that Google’s Hong Kong office was focused on marketing and sales rather than the innovation and technology projects that she aspired to join, she learnt about Google’s corporate culture and working style and applied them at Spread-it. Another opportunity she seized was CUHK Entrepreneur Day, “Back then, Spread-it was still in its infancy, and we knew little about anything. Nonetheless, we had the opportunity to set up an exhibition to introduce our company. In addition to pitching training, Entrepreneur Day connected me to seasoned entrepreneurs and investors. They gave me a lot of advice and guidance that opened my eyes. Although I later competed in a number of other start-up competitions, few provided the same level of entrepreneurial knowledge as CUHK Entrepreneur Day.”

During the summer of Year 1, Winnie landed an internship at Google, where she learnt about the company’s corporate culture and working style.

Winnie met many seasoned entrepreneurs and investors at CUHK Entrepreneur Day, laying a good foundation for Spread-it’s subsequent development.

Starting Up Is More than a Contest of Abilities
In addition to providing a platform for ordinary people to become micro-influencers, Winnie wanted to demonstrate the power of ordinary people through her persistence in entrepreneurship. “I want to prove to my many highly capable friends that someone as average as me can achieve great things. Through my experience, I hope to inspire others not to underestimate their abilities and help them realise that anyone who takes the first step and keeps going will achieve their goals. Dreams aren’t always as far away as they appear.”

Citing her favourite Harry Potter as an example, Winnie said the sorting hat initially wants to assign Harry to the house of Slytherin. It is only after Harry’s vehement objection that he is assigned to Gryffindor. “At the end of the day, entrepreneurship is all about you. Nobody can change what you decide to do. What matters most are not the details of execution but your mindset, values and principles as an entrepreneur.”

Winnie advises other students who want to start up to do so as soon as possible. “If you really want to start your own business, it’s best to do so when you’re young, because you have time and can try fast and fail fast. Even if you fail, you have little to lose. At worst, you can go look for work. However, if you miss the opportunity and the timing to start up, it may be hard for it to come by again. Being young also provides you with one distinct advantage: ignorance. When you’re young, you don’t give up easily, even if the road ahead is a cul-de-sac. Your thinking will change as you grow older and gain more experience, and you will lose that tenacious desire to pursue your dream. It would be much more difficult to start up then.”

This article first appeared in CU Alumni Magazine (September 2021 Issue), republished and translated with permission from Alumni Affairs Office, CUHK.

The post From An Ordinary to Influential Entrepreneur: Embracing Averageness and Ignorance appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Championing Sustainable Development in the Real Estate Industry [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Championing Sustainable Development in the Real Estate Industry
Creating the Greatest Value by Adopting a Holistic Approach
As a child, Clement loved to build models. After graduating from the university, he pursued his passion by joining the surveying industry. He revels in developing creative ideas for projects and finds joy from seeing projects go from conception, construction to completion. To him, property development is analogous to childbearing given the amount of time and effort poured in before a project can be materialised. At the same time, the ever-changing market conditions burden the process with changes that put one’s intelligence and patience to the test. He recalled supervising a major project in Beijing that took seven years to secure construction permits, as policy changes necessitated several rounds of negotiations with the local government. On a lighter note, he said that doing business sometimes really boils down to “talking”.

“Property development isn’t the same as model building. You can’t put a building in any city because each location has its own culture and background,” he remarked. “It is important to first derive a good amount of understanding of the stakeholders’ and users’ expectations by speaking with them. After evaluating the macro-environment, we can decide on the property’s market positioning and use.” As the head of his department, Clement will meticulously analyse all measurable and unmeasurable factors, gather feedback, collaborate with his team to assemble the most appropriate software and hardware, and hammer out a holistic development blueprint.

Clement described his duty as “identifying the greatest value” for projects. Against the backdrop of shifting markets and demand, he has a keen eye for “agility” and “sustainability” in the “value” he seeks. “Even after we’ve produced the blueprints, we can’t just execute the tasks mindlessly. We must also leave room for adjustment and transformation when we plan to ensure long-term success.” Citing the example of Hongkong Land’s refurbishment of its property portfolio in Central over ten years ago, Clement said that their act of turning commercial buildings into hotels and connecting shop floors for a three-story flagship store was to enable properties to continue to develop sustainably and increase in value by moving with the times.

Clement said that flexibility and foresight must be exercised during project planning to allow room for future refinements, as development projects take years to be materialised, and the lifespan of properties often extends decades.

Driving Decarbonisation with Mission
Besides serving Hongkong Land, Clement is the President of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Being the first Chinese to lead this international professional body, he is keen to give back to future generations and the industry and advocate for sustainable development. To enhance communication and strengthen connections, he has met with members from different regions after becoming the president. In order to help businesses around the world to achieve the net zero goal by 2050, RICS is also setting decarbonisation benchmarks.

Clement noted that the built environment currently accounts for around 40% of global carbon emissions. It is, therefore, incumbent upon industry professionals to examine each project and put decarbonisation goals into effect. “Just as we need a good foundation for buildings, we should also tackle decarbonisation from the ground up.” He claimed that RICS is working to establish international standards, including how emissions should be measured and reported, adding that it is also collating data on carbon emissions of various building materials to help users make a wise selection. “We also work with governments and non-governmental organisations to promote initiatives that will help us achieve our objectives. As the president of RICS, I’ve also advised the government on ways of improving the quality of construction and carbon emissions in public housing design.” He opined that business investment and sustainable development go hand in hand, and that society and the economy can benefit as a whole only with a good environment.

Achieving Complementary and Mutually Beneficial Development
With an increasing number of Greater Bay Area (GBA) infrastructure and construction projects in the pipeline, the demand for surveyors is also growing in tandem. According to Clement, Hong Kong has the maximum number of RICS-chartered surveyors outside of the United Kingdom. In turn, these outstanding professionals can empower the GBA to enhance its planning and management standards. The abundant opportunities offered by the region will also benefit Hong Kong’s consultancy firms and developers. Clement pointed out that the GBA differs from previous regional economic plans for several significant reasons: “In the past, small markets have constrained the products and development of real estate or businesses. Yet the GBA has a population of more than 80 million people, which creates immense demand for goods and services. We can serve the entire value chain of the industry with systematic planning. By having all member cities working together and synergising their strengths, we can form a large-scale operating ecosystem and achieve economies of scale.”

“Hong Kong has one of the highest numbers of professional surveyors in the world. These outstanding professionals can empower the GBA to enhance its planning and management standards. The abundant opportunities offered by the region will also benefit Hong Kong’s stakeholders,” says Clement.

Teaching and Learning as Mentors and Friends
Clement’s commitment to sustainability extends beyond the real estate industry. He is generous in sharing his experience and expertise with students of CUHK Business School, and has served as a mentor for years. Recalling his decision to join CUHK’s MBA programme, he said that apart from gaining knowledge about business management and finance, he also wanted to meet new people, build networks and learn from others. “I enjoy being a part of the mentorship programme as it allows me to meet the younger generation and understand their thinking, at the same time, I’m also inspired by what they share with me and gain fresh ideas for market development.” He encourages Business School alumni to pay greater attention to decarbonisation and other environmental issues, and together lay the groundwork for sustained prosperity by adhering to the global green economic trends.

First published in the CUHK Business School Alumni Portal on 10 February 2022 and the iMoney magazine on 19 February 2022, this article was republished with permission from the School’s Alumni and Corporate Affairs Office.

The post Championing Sustainable Development in the Real Estate Industry appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School Announces the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award 2 [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School Announces the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award 2020-21
Since its first introduction in the 2014-15 academic year, FTEA is intended to honour faculty members for their teaching excellence and significant contribution to creating an optimal learning experience for students. It demonstrates Business School’s commitment to maintaining and improving the high standards of teaching and learning. Every year, the School’s students and academic staff nominate their excellent teachers/colleagues to a selection panel.

The awardees for the 2020-21 academic year are:

General Faculty Members
Early Career Faculty Members
All the awardees feel honoured to receive the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award. They would like to express their gratitude to those who have supported them along the journey, especially during this challenging time.

“I am humbly thankful to committee members who selected me for this teaching award that I will always treasure. I would like to thank my colleagues for motivating, encouraging and supporting me to continue having the highest level of dedication to my department and CUHK Business School. I would like to extend my gratitude to all my students as well since being your teacher is an award in itself.”

—— Prof. Ling Cen

“Being able to meet a lot of nice people in CUHK has been fortuitous over my twelve-year journey here. I would like to express my greatest gratitude to my colleagues in the School of Accountancy and in CUHK Business School for their tremendous support, especially when all of us have been facing unprecedented challenges in teaching and learning during these two years. I would also like to extend such thankfulness to all my students who always provide me with the greatest motivation to continuously reflect on my teaching and learn how to be a better teacher.”

—— Mr. Eric Leung

“I am pleased and honoured to receive this teaching award. I sincerely thank the CUHK Business School and the Department of Finance for giving me continuous support and encouragement in pursuing my teaching career. In addition, I am very thankful to my colleagues for providing valuable teaching advice and opportunities. I look forward to working with my colleagues to pursue teaching excellence in the new norm.”

—— Dr. Edwin Mok

The post CUHK Business School Announces the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award 2020-21 appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School Graduates Topped the Chart in the New HKICPA Qual [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School Graduates Topped the Chart in the New HKICPA Qualification Programme Examinations
Out of eight professional modules over the past two examination diets in total, PACC graduates seized six top student awards.

“I am grateful to see that our PACC graduates achieve remarkable results in the new QP examinations, especially during this challenging time under the pandemic,” Mr. Eric Leung, Director of PACC Programme shared, “I hope our graduates will continue to equip themselves professionally and stay resilient in this dynamic environment.”

While technical skills remain as the basis, Mr. Leung highlighted that the new QP examination has put a stronger emphasis on professional soft skills. It assesses candidates’ ability to utilise information from various sources to critically analyse accounting-related issues and to logically present the solutions for complex business problems.

He added that the PACC programme is fully aligned and all set to prepare students for adapting to the new exams. Apart from placing an increased emphasis on applying business cases at class, the programme requires all PACC students to complete a capstone project in order to graduate. Students will work in teams to craft a strategic business plan, including a financial budget, to stimulate the development of a designated organisation. This helps students not only build a solid foundation on both technical and soft skills, but also reflect on the role of accountants in the contemporary business environment.

Over the years, the PACC programme has been nurturing professional accountants and specialists in accounting and related fields to respond to the fast-changing business dynamics. It is highly recognised by international professional and accreditation bodies such as HKICPA. Graduates from the programme are equipped with the knowledge and skills to effectively deal with the increasingly complex and inter-connected business world and to become future leaders in the accounting and business community.

The list of awardees:

December 2020 Session:

• Li Fook Shu Memorial Prize (Gold Award) – Ho-ching Li (PACC, 2018)
  • BDO Prize (Silver Award) – Man-ting Cheung (PACC, 2019)
  • Edward Chow Memorial Prize (Bronze Award) – Kin-chung Leung (PACC, 2019)
June 2021 Session:

• Top Student Award in Module 11 – Pui Yip (PACC, 2020)
  • Top Student Award in Module 12 – Hoi-him Li (PACC, 2019)
  • Top Student Award in Module 13 – Tsz-yan Chan (PACC, 2020)
  • Top Student Award in Module 14 – Chuen-ying Lam (PACC, 2020)
  • BDO Prize (Silver award) – Wing-sze Yeung (PACC, 2018)
December 2021 Session:

• Top Student Award in Module 11 – Wing-yan Leung (PACC, 2021)
  • Top Student Award in Module 14 – Wing-yin Lee (PACC, 2021)
  • ICAEW Price – Tsz-yan Chan (PACC, 2020)
Photo courtesy of HKICPA

The post CUHK Business School Graduates Topped the Chart in the New HKICPA Qualification Programme Examinations appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School in Partnership with CPA Australia to Equip Talent [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School in Partnership with CPA Australia to Equip Talents and Present Foundation Exam Awards and Distinction Award
Through the provision of various financial support and professional opportunities for CUHK Business School students and CPA Australia’s members, this academic and corporate partnership aims to nurture first-class leaders with an across-the-board view on business to serve the needs of today’s economy.

Prof. Lin Zhou, Dean of CUHK Business School expressed, “CUHK Business School holds on to the mission to develop future leaders who embrace a global perspective and are equipped to meet the challenges and opportunities around the world. We are honoured to partner with CPA Australia to capitalise on the strengths of the two sides for the benefit of our students and CPA Australia’s members.”

Deborah Leung FCPA (Aust.), Executive General Manager of International, CPA Australia shared, “As one of the world’s largest accounting bodies – CPA Australia’s goal is to prepare our members for today and tomorrow in this globally connected world. We have a trusted relationship with the CUHK Business School, as we share the same vision of equipping future leaders with a global perspective. CPA Australia is honoured to work with CUHK Business School on providing a number of exclusive offers for members and students who wish to pursue programmes in CUHK Business School and CPA Australia.”

Under the MoU, CUHK Business School provides a 10% tuition fee discount to applicants who are Certified Practising Accountant [CPA (Aust.)] and Fellow [FCPA (Aust.)] and successfully enrolled into CUHK Business School MBA Programme. The School also provides HK$60,000 Association Linked Award to applicants who are CPA and FCPA and admitted into CUHK EMBA Programme.

Reciprocally, CPA Australia offers exam fee waiver and learning support to Foundation Exam Award and Distinction Award recipients from CUHK Business School Undergraduate and MSc in Management (MiM) Programmes. CUHK MBA and EMBA students with relevant work experience in accounting and finance will be eligible for exemptions of subjects from the CPA Programme and enjoy a fast-track pathway to attain the globally recognised CPA designation.

This year, two undergraduate students, Michelle Mei-suet Lam (IBBA, Year 3) and Daniel Peng-chong Zhang (IBBA, Year 5) were awarded the Foundation Exam Awards. One postgraduate student Jeff Ka-tsun Hui who was admitted to MiM programme in 2021 received the Distinction Award with direct admission to CPA Programme.

At the virtual award ceremony on 1 March, three Business School students, Michelle (upper left), Jeff (upper middle) and Daniel (upper right) received the awards from Ms. Cora Cheung (bottom left), Senior Business Development Manager and Ms. Alicia Xiao (bottom right), Business Development Manager of CPA Australia.

Daniel Peng-chong Zhang (IBBA, Year 5) shared, “I am delighted to receive the Foundation Exam Awards from CPA Australia. Nowadays, companies prefer candidates with a solid accounting basis. Pursuing a CPA certificate would be an extra advantage for me to explore my future career in the investment research area.”

Michelle Mei-suet Lam (IBBA, Year 3) said, “It was an honour to receive the CPA Australia Foundation Exam Award. Since I am not an accountant student, it was a great opportunity for me to equip myself in advance by taking some of the accounting exams. The CPA qualification would be an advantage for future employment. Besides, the staff from CPA helped me a lot. They offered suggestions in prioritising the courses that I should take and helped me with the application especially when I was abroad for exchange. I truly appreciated their efficiency and kindness.”

Jeff Ka-tsun Hui (MiM) said, “I am grateful to receive the Distinction Award from CPA Australia. I believe it will help me a lot in the future no matter if I decide to become an accountant or start up a business. This award allows me to take a step further and to succeed in vigorous competition.”

The post CUHK Business School in Partnership with CPA Australia to Equip Talents and Present Foundation Exam Awards and Distinction Award appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
In Perpetual Search of Aha Moments [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: In Perpetual Search of Aha Moments
It was during his study of astrophysics at Peking University that Prof. Gao found himself gravitating to a career in research. He realised, however, that it was not the mystery of hard science that piqued his interest, but the curiosity that surrounded how societies run and economies operate. Pulled towards his passions, he pursued an MA in Economics at Peking University, followed by a PhD in Economics at Princeton University. After he received the job offer from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), he dived headfirst into a career in economic and financial research.

“I’m glad that I became an academic,” said Prof. Gao. “I’m constantly curious and this career offers me a lot of freedom to continuously learn and explore new things each day, something I genuinely appreciate and cherish. I can delve into topics that fascinate me and choose the kind of research I want to do.”

The Shadows of a Dream
Despite the seemingly desirable nature of it all, research is rarely a path without its thorns. “What I truly yearn for is Archimedes’ eureka moment. Just as many other researchers, I want to discover something new and significant. But, most of the time, finding the ‘right’ track or the ‘right’ direction is challenging. It is like exploring in complete darkness as it is difficult to predict what happens next in one’s research. All we can do is keep trying, and be prepared to deal with the frustration of discovering something disappointing or, in some cases, nothing at all.”

To recover from hitting a wall or a dead-end in his research, Prof. Gao used to spend a whole day or even two away from his work. He would read a book, watch TV, and do whatever he could to pull himself out of his pit of desperation. “At the end of the day, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start working on solutions.” He added, “At the start of my career, I didn’t expect research would be like this. But in reality, research should exactly be this way.”

Prof. Gao enjoys the vigorous greenery and stunning scenery at CUHK which can help free his mind from the frustration at work.

Frustration Is But a Signal to Pivot and Do Better
He explained that it is not uncommon for researchers to discover that their projected outcomes turn out to be something different. They may need to refine the methodology they use or even consider their research question from an entirely different perspective. “In many ways, these speedbumps just make you realise that it is time to make adjustments. When you do, your research almost invariably improves. Sometimes, it can even become significantly better than you expected.” More importantly, researchers must learn to be adaptable – to overcome setbacks and frustrations as quickly as possible.

For this very reason, Prof. Gao ventures into several projects that deal with completely different topics, all at the same time. “It allows me to switch my mind between projects. When I get stuck with one project, I move on to another and return to the original project with new ideas and inspirations. It works.”

The professor’s research now spans a wide range of themes, from real estate to global warming to technology. He said his choice of research topics is typically based on two criteria: whether the question is important and whether it is interesting. “For example, I conducted a study on climate finance. I was curious about how financial markets would respond to climate change and how individuals, households and institutional investors would respond to climate risks. Similarly, I conducted a study on behavioural finance. While traditional economics assume that individuals are perfectly rational, we observed several anomalies in the market that violated or challenged such an assumption. I wished to understand how people’s biases or mistakes affected their behaviour, shaped the financial markets or influenced the dynamics of asset price movement. I chose these topics not only because they interest me but also because they have meaningful impacts on our society and the world.”

Nurturing Grounds for Research and Scholarly Pursuits
Prof. Gao was grateful for CUHK’s “terrific” research environment that provided him with the freedom to pursue research projects. “I’m blessed with amazing colleagues. We have plenty of collaborative projects and we learn a lot from each other. Such kinds of interaction are imperative for researchers.” CUHK’s data access and resources are also exemplary. “For empirical researchers like myself, it is highly useful. All of these, in my opinion, are CUHK’s competitive advantages. It is also why the university has successfully attracted researchers and fostered collaboration among colleagues.”

Prof. Gao believes that the collaborative research environment, the strong and continuous support from colleagues are what make the Business School unique and excellent.

Having been a part of CUHK Business School for eight years, Prof. Gao said his life at the university is “harmonious, vibrant and tranquil”. He explained, “It is harmonious because colleagues genuinely enjoy collaborating and helping each other. Professors at CUHK are also close to their students. I take pleasure in talking with my students, working with them and even learning from them. Sometimes, I even play my favourite music on computer during the class break and ask my students what kind of music they like. They’re young and energetic, and they make me feel vibrant. Life at CUHK is also undisturbed. Besides being undisturbed at work, living on campus is quiet and peaceful. Sometimes, I just run from my office or the train station to New Asia College for exercise. It’s fun. I really like living here.”

“My home is where my family is,” concluded by Prof. Gao who has lived and travelled to a number of places for study and work. Currently staying in Hong Kong with his wife and six-year-old son, Prof. Gao has spent more time discovering this culturally-charged metropolis with a frenetic mix of exciting urban life and quiet nature escapes, especially when travel is restricted due to the pandemic. “We have found many interesting places that we enjoy. We didn’t know how much we appreciated the street food of Hong Kong, like milk tea and Hong Kong-style French toast, foods that are symbolic of the city’s East-meets-West culture. Hong Kong is a fantastic international city that we now comfortably call our home.”

Among Hong Kong’s many advantages, its blend of teeming urban landscapes and exquisite natural beauty is appealing to Prof. Gao and his family.

A Career for the Inspired
For those considering a career in research, Prof. Gao said whether it is a right career choice depends on several factors. “In research, the feedback loop can be long and enduring. From the time you begin your research to the time you publish it, three to five years may pass on an average, with ten years not being uncommon. It could be risky in some cases, such as when tenure is at stake. Research is merely one of many paths to a career, not the only one.”

For Prof. Gao, he is set to persist on his voyage of exploration, discovery and enlightenment. He aspires to continue enriching his life “through endeavours and challenges”. He said, “Although I’ve spent so many years on this path, I’m still learning how to become a better researcher each day. I’m still on my way to discovering new things and understanding various domains. I still expect the eureka moment or the aha moment to feel truly satisfactory and happy. Although I’ve gotten closer, there is still a long way to go.”

The post In Perpetual Search of Aha Moments appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School Receives Donation of 200,000 Surgical Masks from [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School Receives Donation of 200,000 Surgical Masks from Student
Prof. Seen-Meng Chew, Associate Dean (External Engagement) of CUHK Business School, expressed, “I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude to Mr. Liang for his kindness and care for CUHK in addition to his generous donation. It is with such selfless dedication and support of every CUHK faculty, student, alumnus and staff member that we keep our campus safe and continue to build a caring community at this difficult time.”

He added, “As the city grapples with the wave of the pandemic, the University relies on its frontline staff, who are at the coalface of the pandemic doing everything possible to keep the campus running.” The 200,000 surgical masks donated by Mr. Liang have been distributed to the frontline staff and students in different departments and colleges of the University for their imminent needs.

Prof. Seen-Meng Chew, Associate Dean (External Engagement), CUHK Business School (Row two, centre), Prof. Ming Liu, Director of Executive MBA (Chinese) Programme, CUHK Business School (Row two, 2nd from the left), Mr. Daniel Liang (Row two, 2nd from the right) and representatives from departments and colleges of CUHK at the virtual ceremony held on 31 March.

Prof. Ming Liu, Director of Executive MBA (Chinese) Programme said at the ceremony, “CUHK Business School is committed to nurturing a socially responsible mindset in its students. Mr. Liang’s care for and contribution to the University and the wider community are invaluable. We hope that the epidemic will soon be over and that Mr. Liang and other students will be able to return and meet at the beautiful campus of CUHK.”

Mr. Liang said at the ceremony, “I have been studying and working in the Greater Bay Area and Guangzhou region for many years, I am thrilled to be accepted to study in CUHK. I hope to do my bit for the University and that the epidemic will be over very soon. I look forward to more exchanges between Hong Kong, the Mainland and the rest of the world.”

Also, the CUHK Business School expresses a sincere thank you to alumna Ms. Jasmine Liu [EMBA (Chinese), 2021] for her kind assistance in arranging the delivery of 200,000 surgical masks donated by Mr. Liang to the University campus. Both the generous donation and assistance in action demonstrate the spirit of mutual support among students and alumni, and are important in supporting the ongoing effort of the University in the fight against the pandemic.

The surgical masks donated by Mr. Liang have been distributed to the frontline staff and students in different departments and colleges of the University.

The post CUHK Business School Receives Donation of 200,000 Surgical Masks from Student appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
The Chinese University of Hong Kong and INHE Group Sign MoU to Allevia [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: The Chinese University of Hong Kong and INHE Group Sign MoU to Alleviate Energy Crisis in Africa
Over a virtual ceremony, the MoU was signed by Prof. Lin Zhou, Dean of CUHK Business School, Mr. Jianping Zhu, Assistant to the Chairman of INHE Group and Mr. Wei Liu, Dean of INHE Electric Power Research Institute. Prof. Seen-Meng Chew, Associate Dean (External Engagement) of CUHK Business School and Prof. Mandy Hu, Associate Professor of Department of Marketing of CUHK Business School also attended the event to witness the remarkable moment.

The five-year collaboration, dated until 2027, aims to alleviate the energy crisis in Africa. Under the MoU, INHE will be in charge of data collection and energy infrastructure support, leveraging its footprint in the region over the past decade. Harnessing its research capacity, CUHK Business School will be responsible for analysing local electricity consumption behaviours and improving power production efficiency.

Prof. Lin Zhou, Dean of CUHK Business School (upper screen), Mr. Wei Liu, Dean of INHE Electric Power Research Institute (left on the bottom screen) and Mr. Jianping Zhu, Assistant to the Chairman of INHE Group (right on the bottom screen) jointly signed the MoU.

Prof. Lin Zhou, Dean of CUHK Business School, believes that the collaboration will bring Africa a step closer to its active participation in the global economy over a wide spectrum. From electricity economics to education development in Africa, the collaboration seeks to provide support for enterprises and research, as well as contribute to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations.

“CUHK Business School embraces a global perspective and connects the Greater Bay Area with the world, and is determined to create a better future for all. We hope that this collaboration will help promote a sustainable business environment and contribute to the socio-economic development of Africa and the world at large.”

Prof. Mandy Hu, Associate Professor of Department of Marketing of CUHK Business School, Director of Centre for Consumer Insights and person-in-charge of the collaboration, said that the two parties will collect data on customer behaviours in Africa for modelling and analysis. Strategies will be developed to influence user habits and verificate the effectiveness of energy consumption and power generation optimisation. The project will be developed in collaboration with the City University of Hong Kong, the University of Chicago and experts across different industries and fields from around the world.

Prof. Lin Zhou encouraged teaching and research staff of the Business School to continue to embrace innovation, “As one of the world’s leading education institutions, we place great emphasis on research and theoretical practice. I urge our faculty members to be ready to push the frontiers of knowledge in the technology-driven business world.”

As an alumnus of CUHK Business School, Mr. Jianping Zhu, Assistant to the Chairman of INHE Group, expressed his gratitude to his alma mater and his vision for the collaboration. While electricity brings tremendous convenience to the lives of African people, INHE has a long way to go.

Mr. Wei Liu, Dean of INHE Electric Power Research Institute, looks forward to the pioneering collaboration project. To further promote technological innovation, economic and social development in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area, Mr. Liu is in hope for future collaboration with the Business School in other areas, such as digital economy, human resources and technology, and other cutting-edge innovations.

The post The Chinese University of Hong Kong and INHE Group Sign MoU to Alleviate Energy Crisis in Africa appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School Students Prototype Off-Road Robot and Take Home S [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School Students Prototype Off-Road Robot and Take Home Smart City and Sustainability Championship
Hui-long and Ka-ngan began their friendship at class and found that they shared common interests in topics around life, values and nature, in addition to academic subjects. “We both love the nature and often go on field trips together. Sometimes we see a captivating trail and are eager to explore, but often hold back due to safety concerns.”

Adventurous at heart and propelled by the pandemic, Hui-long and Ka-ngan decided to design a robot with advanced off-road capability to explore the diverse habitat of plants and insects on the ground even in difficult terrains.

Polar Bear, a wilderness expedition robot

“To us, ‘Polar Bear’ embodies not only the spirit of adventure but also the beauty of nature. We want to discover the hidden wilderness and appreciate the nature from a microscopic perspective,” Ka-ngan and the team envision that “Polar Bear” will become “a buddy” for students to explore the outdoors, encouraging them to learn proactively and understand more about nature. Eventually, they hope to contribute to promoting harmony among humans, nature and technology.

Through the robot project, Hui-long Su (IBBA, Year 2) (left) and Ka-ngan Hui (IBBA, Year 4) (right) learned how to effectively communicate in a team.

Making his debut at the start-up competition, Hui-long found what he gained was beyond expectations, “I used to be a result-driven person, but now I appreciate that the learning process is just as important as the outcome. Skills and knowledge were what I always looked for among team members. The experience has taught me that having shared philosophy and values is what defines a team. For a team to perform well, we need to actively communicate and listen to each other to nurture empathy and constantly reflect on ourselves.”

Looking back, Ka-ngan was grateful for the opportunities to delve into a wide range of topics inside and outside of her major at CUHK. She enjoys the freedom to explore subjects such as humanity, compassion and inclusion and human-nature relationship. Inspired by her experience in start-up and case competitions, she hopes to continue to promote robotic development and aspires to become a social entrepreneur to create values to address different needs in society.

“Studying is not only about the input and output of knowledge. Essentially, it trains us to self-learn, think independently and pursue truth and rightness.”

Photo courtesy of HKSTP and the students

The post CUHK Business School Students Prototype Off-Road Robot and Take Home Smart City and Sustainability Championship appeared first on CUHK Business School.
GMAT Club Bot
CUHK Business School Students Prototype Off-Road Robot and Take Home S [#permalink]
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17  ...  22