Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Stanford '14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Bschooladmit20: Poor Little Rich Kid

You can buy luxury, privacy
and your friends too
But the more you spend
the more you isolate
You don’t ever need to ask
for help- a hand with the luggage,
a place to crash, a ride
It’s all given to you
Can you ever relate?
You inhabit a different world
-sometimes lonely-
you know they watch you with envy
this is not a fantasy/its your reality
You begin to think maybe you deserve it?
they’ll tell you what you want to hear
always eager to please
You can have the world
but not the truth
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: The Power of Vulnerability

You are often so strong
but know this:
you don’t have to be
Self-reliance is a virtue
| make room for vulnerability |
Your truest/deepest friendships
will be built when you
ask for (not offer) help
It’s only when you
admit your weaknes
-flaws-insecurities-
that you reveal yourself
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sheiquiroga: Rotman Term 2 - Social
I did not participate in a lot of social events in Term 2 mainly because of the weather. We were also too stressed out finding an internship for the summer at this time. However, some interesting things still happened: 

a. Valentine's Day - Candygram and Songgram

To celebrate heart's month, we had Rotman-wide activities, such as candygram and songgram. You can request a song for a small fee to be sung to someone during class. You can even dedicate a song to your professors. Singers included people from both first years and upper years!

b. 90s party

This was one of the most fun parties we attended in Rotman. We are not getting any younger but why stress out with that when you can celebrate being 90s kids (most awesome generation :P). 

c. Culture Eats

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TwZTWrd0-go/WucbQENZNmI/AAAAAAAAC9Y/5BzE7YlAwWUeKcM0ZJGc80-FTumuhHyFgCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/46130ebf-6f9c-41b4-8015-e51c664098fa.jpg

There were several culture eats that happened, but I only joined the last one for South Asia. I regret being too busy and not joining the other ones because of conflict with my schedule. Be sure to enjoy tasty food of the world next year and learn more about various countries' culture.

d. Chinese New Year

My section's social reps, Rex and Rosemary, decorated our classroom once again to celebrate Chinese New Year. Our classmates got the chance to eat tasty Chinese snacks and learned some stories about Chinese New Year through the video that was presented.

e. Karaoke

I've been organizing karaoke sessions with my awesome singer batchmates. It was always good to sing out loud and release all your stress! We went to two different bars, but I would recommend the Bar + Karaoke since they have better room and technology though they are on the pricier side.

f. Rotman Ladies

Women in Rotman will constantly organize some gatherings for our Rotman Ladies.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-boCwqPjVEiw/WucaFxACaRI/AAAAAAAAC8c/5yvZv9IMglIk8b7Bl2nhFZyL5S0WgRUCgCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/9f65eb1f-278e-4500-8b1e-a9622500e5f8.jpg

g. Birthday Celebration

It was my birthday last February 5th. I did not host a party, but I just wanted to thank all my friends in Rotman who greeted me and prepared cakes for me. I also went to Ontario Science Centre with my partner to celebrate my birthday. For some reason, I've been celebrating my birthday every year in science museum. Is this the inner nerd calling?

Love, 

Wondersuite
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: Immigrant

I don’t fit
into your neat little boxes
of class/status
You struggle
to place me in your well-rounded circles
For once, my hometown, school
family name do not resonate
Am I wild? Can I be tamed?
Silently, I enjoy your polite discomfort
I choose to remain anonymous
I won’t play but
I am well-versed in this game

Immigrant was originally published in Lit Up on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: Slow Burn

i begged you to
slow
down.
i wasn’t ready to
hurt again
too recently burnt
-we flickered-
protecting myself
from the flame
i melted
a slow burn
into liquid
i sink
| quicksand |
pull me in
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: Slow Burn

i begged you to
slow
down.
i wasn’t ready to
hurt again
too recently burnt
-we flickered-
protecting myself
from the flame
i melted
a slow burn
into liquid
i sink
| quicksand |
pull me in

Slow Burn was originally published in Lit Up on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sheiquiroga: Rotman Term 2 - Extracurriculars
There is no doubt that second term is more relaxed than Term 1. Consulting people will still  be busy in January. However, people pursuing design will find themselves a bit more relaxed in that month. That said, I still tried to find some ways to keep me busy and still managed to punish myself joining multiple case competitions that had overlapping schedules. 

Walmart Innovation Space

During the winterbreak, I visited my friend in Calgary and just relaxed in their home. Nevertheless, it was not a complete relaxation because my case comp partner and I joined this Walmart Innovation Space case competition whose deadline was in the first week of January. That means that we had to work throughout the winterbreak. To be honest, it was really hard to find the will to start and get moving. But, fortunately, it was worth it in the end because my case comp partner and I won this competition. (I used my creativity and used Sims4 to present our idea.) Walmart was supposed to implement our idea, but there were some logistical issues that prevented the project from continuing. As prizes, they invited us to attend the Walmart Innovation Summit that discussed the future of shopping and exhibited innovative startup companies tackling new shopping solutions. 

General Mills

I did not learn my lesson in that Walmart competition and I signed up for the General Mills case competition that occured last January 4th, right before the term started. I accepted this challenge mainly because it was a one-day case competition. I cannot provide further details, but the challenge was both fun and stressful. I was in the verge of giving up, but, in the end, my team and I won second place! 

Google X SAS Case Competition

I found that this case competition was cool because they released the case stem through a live video of the person who works in Google. They then gave us a workshop on using SAS for statistics and expected us to solve the problem through the use of the software. We had participants from McGill as well and it was nice to have extended our network. We did not win this because we thought we already answered the question but we did not included regression in our presentation. They loved our presentation and our decks, but unfortunately, that was not enough. I still glad I joined this competition because my teammates were amazing in analyzing data and I learned how to look at data in a different perspective.

HCC Section 5

There were other tons of case competitions that happened, and the photos here just shows my co-section 5 people who won them! As you can see, our section is very proud of each other!

Rotman Design Challenge

Rotman Design Challenge is the coolest case competition that you will see in Rotman. Every year we invite other MBA universities, especially the Ivy League ones! We get to network with them and see how they think and present their ideas. 

The challenge is a month long, and Rotman students get good support in design thinking. There were three prep sessions conducted and BDC was very supportive in helping Rotman students improve their presentation decks. Last year, they invited a practitioner from Doblin to give her human-centered design insights.

In the actual event itself, there were multiple workshops that was held. One of them was the Lego Series Play workshop that a lot of people enjoyed. It was a good bonding experience amongst the students from different schools.

That said, I will be one of the Rotman Design Challenge Directors for this year and we are trying our best to make this competition even bigger and better. Please do not miss this opportunity to sign up! https://www.rotmanbdc.com/rotman-design-challenge/

Amazon Tour

One of the coolest things I participated in Rotman is this Amazon Tour. Yes! We were able to visit their distribution warehouse and got a great perspective on why Amazon can deliver goods so fast and efficiently. We also saw those robots that they use for sorting and delivering items!

KPMG Lean Six Sigma Training

I like operations management as a course, but I felt like I learned way a lot more in this four-day workshop (once a week for four weeks) that was held by KPMG. We paid around $400-$500, which was a pretty good deal because you have to pay around $1500 for this kind of certificate and workshop. I enjoyed this so much because it was one of the directors of KPMG who taught us and conducted the workshop. We also interacted with other KPMG employees who were training for this as well. 

We were divided into three teams and our process was the slowest among the other teams because we could not figure out why they kept on rejecting our output. Our team learned the most from this activity because we learned how important the voice of the customer is. We ended up winning first place in the process after figuring out what our mistake was. 

To get the certificate, we are required to apply our learnings to an organization or company. I will be doing a project with Fresh City Farms, which is a company that is similar to Instacart but focuses on organic food. I'm really excited with this project, and, hopefully, I could help improve their process. 

2-hour Job Search
Rotman conducted this workshop twice. It was a good break from all our activities and that was the time that I finally got to bond with my closest friends in Rotman. This workshop made me feel guilty in not doing a good LAMP list for networking and it actually helped push me to do more coffeechats.

Mentorship Meetings

My mentor, Ivan, hosted a lunch meeting with all his mentees. He invited industry people from technological backgrounds and they offered us several advice in our internship pursuit. 

Club Turnovers

After all these roller coaster rides, it was now time to be the one controlling the ride! How do you become a club executive? Each club has its own way of doing it, but majority will be coming from the votes of your clubmates. Some will require applications and forming of teams with presentations. However, campaigning is strictly not allowed and you have to report anyone who will violate this. 

Feeling overwhelmed? Don't be. The former club executives will conduct a turnover to guide the new executives! Do not join too much as I did! It is really stressful to be joining multiple meetings every night during internship. One or two will be ideal!

Love,

Wondersuite
Follow me on Instagram: sheiquiroga
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sheiquiroga: Rotman Term 3 - Farewell to Section 5
Social life in term three is one of the saddest ones because that is the moment that we realized that time flew so fast. Time was ticking until the sections we dearly love was going to be disbanded soon. Whether you loved your section or not, I'm pretty sure that you will still miss seeing familiar faces everyday. Different sections made their best efforts to have the best section experience by conducting social events, parties, and even videos.

I can't say much for the other sections, so I will dedicate this article once again to section 5. 

Section 5's Farewell Video

Even though I was really busy during the midterms in Term 3, I started chasing the professors we had to give some message to our section. I was really glad that my section loved the video I created for them. See the video here:

[youtube2]div>
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: What’s It Like Being Back?

Everywhere I go, people sympathize with me when I tell them I’ve moved back to India after living abroad for ten years: whether it’s at a store, party or work.
Across the board, people lean in, curious: “what’s it like being back? How are you adjusting? Poor you, it must be so hard”. Or they laugh: “are you crazy? Why would you choose to be here?”
I can’t say this often enough: it’s great being back. As anyone that knows me will tell you: I was strongly reluctant to move back initially. I was worried about the quality of life, work culture, being a working woman in a regressive society. But I’ve been positively surprised. Things have changed dramatically in Mumbai over the past ten years.
Yes, the traffic in Mumbai is terrible: but it’s terrible in LA, London, NYC, and every other major cosmopolitan city. Yes, the work culture differs: people can be less proactive and need more hands-on management. You have to repeat yourself more often, and make granular decisions: but they’re also more hungry to learn, earn, do: and they work harder. Yes, the lack of personal space is frustrating: but it’s beautiful that so many people truly care about you.
I do struggle more here: I work harder. I worry about the air I breathe, and the commute is exhausting. The pay is worse. But I’m also leading the web series division of a fast growing media startup in India. I’m not sure I would have been able to do the same work, at the same pace and scale anywhere else. I get to tell untold stories, to a quickly growing local and foreign audience, that’s hungry for higher quality, relatable content. Global platforms and audiences are increasingly keen to hear what we have to say. There’s a new crop of creative talent clamoring to build a more transparent, meritocratic culture. When did we have such access to the world stage before?
What about the ‘backwardness’ of society? Or how women are treated? Admittedly, my perspective is highly urban, privileged and skewed: but personally, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how women are treated both at work and home: I’ve honestly faced much more subtle and covert sexism abroad. Of course, there are serious problems here. But it’s more in your face, more blatant: and therefore in some ways both more frustrating, but easier to pinpoint and tackle.
Every place has its drawbacks: I’ve lived in London, Palo Alto, Boston, Athens and San Francisco over the past ten years. The air is cleaner, but people are more lonely. It’s harder to connect and be truly known. There are advantages to living in a community-based culture, versus an individualistic one: I can see this as I grow older.
Let’s highlight what we’ve built and the progress we’ve made. The constant comparisons and references to American culture: on the radio and on TV, in the way our companies are built and run, at our dinner tables and in our personal lives is almost sad. The colonial hangover is strong: people assume you must somehow know more or be ‘better’ because you’ve lived abroad.
I’ve spent a significant part of the past five years increasingly frustrated at borders shutting and increasingly regressive immigration policies. I was in London when the Brexit vote when through and in California when Trump was President: but I do think this is a seriously positive opportunity for India. We can encourage our brightest minds and talent to move back, versus feel sorry for the people that do.
Our generation has the chance to raise the standard of work, to set a new standard for how we want to live, be treated and treat others. We also get to shape how the world sees us: through the way we perceive and present ourselves. Our words and mindsets matter.
I choose to be here. And I’m excited for what’s to come.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: After Ten Years Abroad, What’s It Like to Live in India Again?

Everywhere I go, people sympathize with me when I tell them I’ve moved back to India after living abroad for ten years: whether it’s at a store, party or work.
Across the board, people lean in, curious: “what’s it like being back? How are you adjusting? Poor you, it must be so hard”. Or they laugh: “are you crazy? Why would you choose to be here?”
I can’t say this often enough: it’s great being back. As anyone that knows me will tell you: I was strongly reluctant to move back initially. I was worried about the quality of life, work culture, being a working woman in a regressive society. And yet, I’ve been so positively surprised. Things have changed dramatically in Mumbai over the past ten years.
Yes, the traffic in Mumbai is terrible: but it’s terrible in LA, London, NYC, and every other major cosmopolitan city. Yes, the work culture differs: people can be less proactive and need more hands-on management. You have to repeat yourself more often, and make granular decisions: but they’re also more hungry to learn, earn, do: and they work harder. Yes, the lack of personal space is frustrating: but it’s beautiful that so many people truly care about you.
I do struggle more here: I work harder. I worry about the air I breathe, and the commute is exhausting. The pay is much worse. But I’m also leading the web series division of a fast growing media startup in India. I’m not sure I would have been able to do the same work, at the same pace and scale anywhere else. I get to tell untold stories, to a quickly growing local and foreign audience, that’s hungry for higher quality, relatable content. Global platforms and audiences are increasingly keen to hear what we have to say. There’s a new crop of creative talent clamoring to build a more transparent, meritocratic culture. When did we have such access to the world stage before?
What about the ‘backwardness’ of society? Of how women are treated? Admittedly, my perspective is highly urban, privileged and skewed: but personally, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how women are treated both at work and home: I’ve honestly faced much more subtle and covert sexism abroad. Of course, there are serious problems here. But it’s more in your face, more blatant: and therefore in some ways both more frustrating, but easier to pinpoint and tackle.
Every place has its drawbacks: I’ve lived in London, Palo Alto, Boston, Athens and San Francisco over the past ten years. The air is cleaner, but people are more lonely. It’s harder to connect and be truly known. There are advantages to living in a community-based culture, versus an individualistic one: I can see this as I grow older.
Let’s highlight what we’ve built and the progress we’ve made. The constant comparisons and references to American culture: on the radio and on TV, in the way companies are built and run, at our dinner tables and in our personal lives is almost sad. The colonial hangover is strong: people assume you must somehow know more or be ‘better’ because you’ve lived abroad.
I’ve spent a significant part of the past five years increasingly frustrated at borders shutting and increasingly regressive immigration policies. I was in London when the Brexit vote when through and in California when Trump was President: but I do think this is a seriously positive opportunity for India. Let’s encourage our brightest minds and talent to move back, versus feel sorry for the people that do.
Our generation has the chance to raise the standard of work, to set a new standard for how we want to live, be treated and treat others. We also get to shape how the world sees us: through the way we perceive and present ourselves. Our words and mindsets matter.
I choose to be here. And I’m excited for what’s to come.

After Ten Years Abroad, What’s It Like to Live in India Again? was originally published in Hacker Noon on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: How Do You Make a Great Show?

Making a show is an exhilarating, gut-wrenching, anxiety-inducing, chaotic, energizing and ultimately fun process. On any given day, you’re making tens- if not hundreds- of big picture and granular decisions from a creative, business and people perspective. Your role is to align, motivate, problem solve for and manage a hundred people with very different backgrounds and skill-sets, who’ve all come together for a short period of time to tell a great story. There will always be conflict and ego clashes, but the joy of watching all the myriad parts- script, acting, direction, editing, art, cinematography and music- all come together and fall into piece makes the journey more than worth it.
My team* is aiming to build India’s premium long-form storytelling platform. We take pride in telling relatable, high-quality stories + building an open, meritocratic culture + treating our creators with respect. We currently have four writers rooms running, three shows going on the floor, a show in edit, and an extensive pipeline for 2019. We’re constantly learning: and we make mistakes all the time, but we try and actively learn + improve each time.
These are my lessons so far:
Choose carefullyDecide what stories you want to tell. As the content ecosystem in India explodes, it’s increasingly important to choose the space you want to be in: and how you plan to differentiate yourself. We try and tell the most authentic stories possible, by working with writers that have lived with their material. They’re deeply familiar with the stories because they have experienced it in some form themselves. We believe that bringing an honest voice and understanding of the world and characters being created can be game-changing. We deeply respect our creators, and are always open to all voices and perspectives.
Value your writersWe’re obsessed with putting the story first. If you don’t have a great script, it doesn’t matter how talented the rest of your crew is: you’re not going to be able to tell a great story. Invest in getting the characters, structure and tone right.
We run writer’s rooms to make the process collaborative and structured. We’ve found ensuring that our writers are writing consistently and brainstorming together raises the quality of the ideas and script. As with any team: we choose the composition of our writers room carefully. We run a highly selective process to ensure we end up 3–4 writers that can bring diverse perspectives to each room. We provide feedback at every stage of scripting : but particularly focus on the arc and beats: where the story gets shaped: and then the punch-ups, where the team is involved.
Plan obsessivelyPre-production is the least sexy part of the process: but is absolutely crucial. Try and pull together a team that’s worked together before: on set chemistry and working dynamics matter. If the entire crew is new, it’s going to take some time before they can build trust and get used to a certain pace and style. Every set is different: pulling together teams of 60–100 that haven’t worked together before is tough.
We’ve found working with multiple directors often helps: this allows people to articulate and align on a vision in advance. As in the writer’s room, the advance brainstorming and collaboration leads to a better product.
The facesCasting is obviously fundamental. A great actor can truly bring a script to life: the wrong fit can destroy it. Make sure you’re clear on exactly what you’re looking for and why: there’s a lot of talent out there, and the choice can be overwhelming.
Once you’ve made the casting decision: treat your talent well. Allow them to live with the script for a while, and jam with the directors and each other as much in advance as possible. Invest the time in making sure your primary cast and directors gel: its key that they form personal relationships as well as workshop together before the shoot starts.
The shoot must go onThe environment on set matters. Let your director focus on the actors. Try and build a stellar team around the director so they can focus. Things will always go wrong: make sure you have a well-aligned team that’s ready to step in and put out the fires that will definitely arise. We usually have a couple of people on set from our team at different times, to make sure creative consistency and smooth execution are maintained.
Tighten it upHaving a great script, talent and director is great: but the pace and structure of the story can make or break it. Once you have the right raw material in place: be both ruthless and creative on the edit.
We give extensive feedback on every cut: good pacing and highlighting key moments can change an episode completely. The music also really matters: a soundtrack can transform a scene. It’s sometimes hard to recognize our third cuts versus our first ones of the same episode.
Fans firstI always tell my team: there’s no point in making a great show if no one sees it. Plan your online and offline activities carefully: drum up audience interest through trailers, promos and behind the scene shoots. Make sure your show is placed on the right platform or channel. Know what your brand stands for, and what your audience wants.
In the end, your show is only as good as what your audience thinks. We take engaging and listening to our audiences seriously: we want to create characters and stories that our community relates to and wants to engage with. We’re always looking for feedback, and the next great idea: reach out to us!
Your approachAs a producer, given the constant- and sometimes crazy- demands on your time and energy, your mindset matters. Plan ahead, stay proactive and anticipate problems, invest in ensuring your team is constantly aligned and engage: make sure you always have a plan B.
Flexibility is key: you will always run the risk of going over budget: find a way to make savings or reduce shoot time elsewhere on the fly. Your actors will fall sick, they might not get along, sometime they won’t show up: always maintain the relationship while solving the problem at hand. Your equipment might get damaged, or lost: have a backup. The accommodation or location might fall through: the art might not work. It happens. Find a way to meet your timelines anyway, while maintaining positive energy on set. In the end, what matters is that you manage yourself, so that you can lead the way for others. Raise the bar at each step.
In the end, the production is just the backstory. Your audience will only see what you show them: make sure it’s great.
  • Natasha Malpani Oswal is the Head of Dice Media, a fast-growing long-form storytelling platform, from the Pocket Aces family. She loves storytelling and building startups, and was previously an Investment Director at a $1 billion impact investing firm. She also holds an MBA from Stanford. Her first book of poetry, Boundless, is out next month.

This story is published in The Startup, Medium’s largest entrepreneurship publication followed by +426,678 people.Subscribe to receive our top stories here.

How Do You Make a Great Show? was originally published in The Startup on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: Starry Night

You’ve waited to be here
As golden in person
as they seem
on the outside
-looking in-
So untouchable — 
an almost inhuman glow
But they grow dimmer
as the night wears on
You try to hold on.
to touch.
-the glitter rubs off-
it was always
just glue
An emptiness in the room — 
tired panic
behind the posturing
When you take it off
do you still
keep shining?

Starry Night was originally published in Lit Up on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sheiquiroga: A Day (Or Days!) in a Life of a Second-Year Rotman Student
This article will be unfair. Everyday in my student life in Rotman is completely different. However, one thing is the same across everyday: I’m always busy. Let me get one sample of my busiest days. I must warn you that I’m one of the extreme students who like to do almost everything possible. People kept on asking me why do I do this and “kill” myself. Well, first of all, I’m from the Philippines, which means that my C$120,000 tuition fee costed a ton for me due to exchange rate. Second of all, my personal tagline on FB is “Striving for Excellence”. I always remember a brother from my church who said that diamonds are crystals made of pure carbon that did well under extreme pressure. My background is nothing fancy, meaning I’m just a carbon hoping to become a diamond one day. 

Note: Second year is all up to you to mold. You can choose to make this as the chillest part of your life or you can choose to overload yourself like what I did.

Leadership Development Lab
This is the best program so far in my MBA. I always leave this class de-stress, having a new perspective in life. The class allows you to explore your inner self and motivations while grooming you to become a leader or top manager. Nevertheless, this program only selects 50 students from all the students who apply. The course starts at 11:30AM-1:00PM, and gives some written or practical homework, which are not graded. You have to be very responsible and accountable in this Lab.

Courses
A normal student is required to take four courses per term. However, there is an option to take an extra course for free every term. Extra course means that you still have to do all the course requirements and get a grade that will be reflected on your transcript, but the grade would not be included in the calculation of your GPA. I made Creative Destruction Lab as my extra course since it is worth 2 electives. I will discuss my previous term's courses here. 
  • Creative Destruction Lab
I have to meet my founder from time to time and visit him in his office to talk about strategy. There will be times that I have to do a pitch deck to get him investors and also build a website for him.  
[*]Capstone Course[/list]This course asked for four hours every Friday for around a month. We were tasked to craft a strategy for Cineplex by using their data and conducting our own market research. Then, we had to present our deck to the manager of Cineplex after a month. 
[*]Service Operations Management[/list]We were tasked to pick 4 case studies out of around 8. This was a very quant-heavy course, but this was my favorite lecture course in Rotman as I got a lot of insights in terms of operations. Joe Milner was awesome!
[*]International Strategy[/list]This course asked for journals and final papers. I would constantly read the textbook and update my journals from time to time. The professor asked for creativity in all our submission, so I had to utilize both my creativity and Photoshop skills. 
[*]Real Estate Economics[/list]This course demanded us to think further ahead of our time as our group tried to tackle the potential impact on the house prices in Toronto and Montreal once the Hyperloop starts functioning. The course and the textbook were heavy on graphs, but I learned more useful things here than the Real Estate Investment course I took the term before. I scheduled meetings every other week with my teammates for the course deliverables.
[*]Strategic Change and Implementation[/list]I took this course as an intensive course during the weekends. I read the readings way before the previous term started, which really helped because there were a lot! Class participation was also the key here, so make sure you jot down notes while reading the cases. The class also asked for journals and final paper. The secret here is to give yourself 15 minutes to write your journal after every class. I found it a lot more efficient and I remembered everything well. 

Clubs
Business Design Club
I’m one of the Rotman Design Challenge Directors this 2019. This event is the biggest design case competition, more info here: https://www.rotmanbdc.com/rotman-design-challenge/. This event took so much of my time and I felt that it was like a part-time job for me. There were countless meetings conducted, and I had to coordinate with multiple people to ensure everything works well. I would also have to design majority of the marketing materials and ensure that everything is very organized. 

Women in Management Association
As the VP for Careers and Partnership, I conceptualized the Creative Women event. During last term, I had to constantly meet up with different club representatives to collaborate with them and ensure there is progress every week for the event. I also had meetings for WIMA twice a month.

Rotman Graduate Business Council
As the Communications Manager of GBC, I had to deliver newsletters every Sunday. I also had to update the social media almost everyday to post IG Stories. I also posted memes at the Rotman GBC page to make the first year students happy and know that they are not alone in their agony.

Lean Six Sigma Certificate
While doing all of these courses, I also had to work on my Lean Six Sigma project to get a certificate since I had to finish it by December 2018. I took this training from KPMG, in which a KPMG Partner was the one who directly taught us. It was one of the best trainings I had. 
For the project, I had to call the General Manager of Fresh City Farms from time to time to schedule meetings and also visit the warehouse. We talked to a lot of employees to know their perspectives and started a culture of collecting data. We then provided some recommendations that were implemented with the help and support of the GM. 

Career
I did not have that much time to focus on my career-related tasks last term. However, I conducted coffee chats in the first month, in which I had to travel all the way to North York or Mississauga. Once in a while I will apply to some jobs and revise cover letters for each. There will be weeks that I will be stressed due to preparation for interviews.

Survival Lifestyle
I only have time to cook during Fridays. Due to the convenient location and the fact that Exchange Cafe is monopolizing food services in Rotman, I usually buy food from the Exchange, which, to be honest, serves the worst food ever (based on my experience in life). To compensate for the lack of proper nutrients, I try to make myself not too fat by going for a swim for two days in a week at around 8 in the morning at the Athletic Centre. I usually end my day by watching an anime and talking to my partner on the phone every night. 

Although this article tries to show how my whole term looks like, I would make sure that I get progress to each of this project every week. At first, you will think that you have a lot of time since you only have 4-5 classes on your term, but do not be deceived! All of those extra time will be occupied with endless meetings, readings and home works. This required a lot of focus and discipline in my part. 

This is a snapshot of my MBA life, but if you want to know more, please visit my MBA blog for my experience and tips in getting into MBA: https://wondersuite.blogspot.com

Hope you like this article,
Sheila Quiroga
Wondersuite 

Follow me on Instagram: sheiquiroga

P.S. I’m still looking for a full-time job. If you want to give back to me by any means for my blogs and articles, please message me or please refer me to your network! I’m highly innovative and I work very hard! ;)

For donations, please send using interac to: shei.quiroga@gmail.com. I also accept discounts and free products!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
FROM The Oxford Comma: Moved to Medium
This is really really late, but better late than never. About a years ago I decided to move my blog over to Medium. I started reading a lot of great content on Medium and it had some features that I liked (saving highlights, content discovery, claps etc). Overall, it also felt like a much more modern blogging compared to WordPress. Hence I moved my content over and have been blogging there ever since.

You can find me on Medium at – https://medium.com/the-oxford-comma

My Oxford MBA experiences – https://medium.com/the-oxford-comma/tagged/mba

My book notes – https://medium.com/the-oxford-comma/tagged/books

PM blog posts – https://medium.com/the-oxford-comma/tagged/product-management
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Bschooladmit20: Butterfly

I wait
impatiently
cocooned
how long will
this transformation
take?
promised beauty +
wings + grace
the breakthrough
hurts
no one told me
the hard part wasn’t done
suddenly free +
so delicate
this is what I always
wanted
but the allure
comes at a price
-bloom is fragile-
it only lasts
a few days

Butterfly was originally published in Lit Up on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD: Interview by GyanOne
Rishabh from GyanOne MBA admission consultants, India had a one to one interview with me where I shared my experience at IMD till now.
https://www.gyanone.com/blog/life-at-imd-interview-with-imd-mba/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD: The best year yet!!!

Finally at the end of one of the best years of my life. I would rather say it has just paved the way to a completely new beginning.
The best part about IMD is how close knit the peers are. Rather than saying the traditional goodbyes we all said “See you soon” as we all are waiting for our first year reunions. It was an emotional farewell to all the peers, staff, IMD campus (where we spent most of our time) and Lausanne (one of the best places to live).
As we were trained in a “Real world, Real learning” environment, we do understand that life moves on and there is always https://gmatclub.com/chat and FaceTime to ensure that distance doesn’t matter. :*)
In a months time, I’ll be moving back to Europe to work for the biggest e-commerce retailer in the world. Thanks to IMD. Overall, I don’t think I could’ve ever taken a better decision in my life than IMD. From the high seas to the e-commerce giant, no other B-school could’ve made this huge transition feel like smooth sailing than IMD.
Thank you very much for reading this blog!!! Good luck for the MBA and an amazing future!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts