Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 18:01 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 18:01
4.2 years
India
Male
Score: 720 GMAT Classic
GPA: 4.0
Pre-MBA industry: Manufacturing
Post-MBA industry: Consulting
After over 4 years in a manufacturing industry working as a Mechanical Engineer, want to shift my profession to management consulting, preferably manufacturing consulting. In short term, want to work for a reputed management consulting firm. In long term, would like work in a Fortune 500 manufacturing company at an executive level.
Tuck
Full Time MBA
4 months ago
Round 2
AppliedDec 1, 23
InterviewedJan 10, 24
Comments (6 comments)
22 Sep 2023, 08:48
Thank you! Good to know.
20 Sep 2023, 20:52
Hi. Just a quick note about the 720 - it will be a tad of a reach to break through as an Asian engineer. We have been seeing folks with 750 and higher scores. Check the latest decision tracker reports - with filters right here in another tab.

I would add Darden. It is a nice sleeper program with good MBB consulting. UNC may be a good option as well just in case the score holds you back.
20 Sep 2023, 22:42
Thanks for your response bb! Yes I am not very confident about my prospects as well with my current GMAT score, but I just wanted to start with building my applications while trying to have another go at the GMAT. Hopefully it'll all come together well before round 2, if not will have to wait till next year to apply. However, I wanted to know if with this score and with a decent application, would it also be a reach to try some of the European schools, Oxford, Cambridge, etc. I checked that the median GMAT for these schools are well below 720.
21 Sep 2023, 06:21
Hey Auror_07,

720 will be a borderline score for the above sets of schools specially since your target in Management Consulting (remember that some consulting firms even ask for your GMAT score for the recruitment process, although 720 will be good enough to make the cut). There are some really solid options that do a really good job in consulting and that are probably not on your radar take for instance Kenan Flagler (as bb already highlighted), have seen some solid successes at Giozueta as well, Mccombs also will do a fairly good job for consulting careers. Honestly, have seen UCLA been a solid a feeder into BigTech and not so much of a consulting school - so maybe have a relook at that.
For the EU/UK programs, 720 should suffice for the Oxbridge although your work ex and application will also be a bit determining factor for these schools. HEC can be another solid options for consulting careers across EU and have seen some really good success stories at IMD as well. Again, INSEAD maybe push you to get a higher GMAT score.

Waiting for an additional year will be personal call, and you should take an overall assessment on the work front and your prep front while putting your plans on hold for an additional year.

Reach out at info@thembaedge.com | +918368000961 if you need any further guidance.
21 Sep 2023, 15:09
Quick clarification that it seems after the pandemic and mini schools going score optional, consulting firms stopped asking for the Jim score especially since people are taking the jury and executive assessment. This of course does not stop anyone from flaunting their hygiene score on the résumé but those were more modest scores, don’t seem to suffer by not doing the same.

Anecdotally, after the latest round of graduates who were taken during the pandemic with Shortcuts and simplified process, a number of companies have expressed concern with quality and commitment of those graduates. I’m not sure that was the result of not taking the GMAT but it seems there is a reputational cost to business schools for taking shortcuts so there may be some validation for having a high score on the résumé in the future but at this time, it seems the practice is not active in the United States .
22 Sep 2023, 06:26
True but some folks are being asked in the behavioral interviews - so maybe outside the formal process. Again maybe an aberration rather than a rule, but always pays to be on the safer side and think about the GMAT aspect from recruiting process point of view.
22 Sep 2023, 08:48
Thank you! Good to know.