Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [269]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [86]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [22]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [17]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bezzerk wrote:
GMATNinja Could you please help me break down and understand the premise in this question?

I'm not sure if this is why you're struggling with this question, but the chronology in the passage is a little bit funky. So let's start by breaking down the chronology.

Quote:
Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

In the first sentence we know that the Defense Department is worried because the machine-tool manufacturing base (that's a mouthful -- we'll call it the "industry" from here on out) has shrunk in the past. The beginning of the second sentence implies that the Defense Department has brought up the import quota issue because of the stuff in the first sentence. This gives us the following chronology so far:

1. the industry shrank
    2. the Defense Department became worried
    3. the Defense Department raised the import quota issue

So far, so good. The second half of the second sentence tells us that the industry did two things before the Defense Department raised the import quota issue (#3 above):

• the industry raised the national security issue (presumably the shrinking of the industry)
  • the industry petitioned for import quotas

Now that we have that timeline clear, hopefully it'll be easier to answer the question of why the industry raised the national security issue!

So, which answer choice contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industry raising this issue?

Quote:
(A) When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for tool builders.

Making sure that there are lots of jobs for tool builders is great, but does it help us understand why the industry raised the national security issue? Not really. This answer choice helps us understand why the industry might be seeking help from the government, but it doesn't help us understand why the industry specifically raised the national security issue. So we can eliminate answer choice (A).

Quote:
(B) The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.

If the Defense Department isn't particularly concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the industry, it would be odd for the industry to be particularly concerned with the national security effects. After all, it is it job of the Defense Department to be concerned with national security issues. So this doesn't help explain why the industry is raising the issue. We can eliminate answer choice (B).

Quote:
(C) The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.

The industry is petitioning for an import quota. It isn't hard to imagine why: if there's an import quota then there are fewer foreigner competitors that the industry has to compete with at home. Answer choice (C) implies that they unsuccessfully tried to petition for import quotas in the past on the basis of some other argument than national security. The argument itself implies the government became more interested in the national security issue once the industry raised the issue –- the Defense Department started paying attention! So answer choice (C) does a pretty good job of explaining why the industry raised the national security issue: other attempts to get governmental protection had failed! We'll leave answer choice (C) in.

Quote:
(D) A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensive machining.

Answer choice (D) would downplay the industry's national security argument. If there are weapons that don't require machining, then it isn't as big of a deal if the domestic industry continues to shrink. So this doesn't help explain why the industry raised the national security issue and we can eliminate answer choice (D).

Quote:
(E) Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domestic machine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.

If there are several programs that have been designed to help the industry, then this downplays the need for the industry's national security argument since they're already being helped by the government. So we can eliminate answer choice (E).

That leaves us with answer choice (C) as the only answer that helps explain why the industry raised the national security issue.

I hope that helps!
General Discussion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
I couldn't dissect the argument.What does the second sentence explain?

The second part of the second sentence (the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas) is important for arriving at option C.

The (domestic) machine tools industry wants the government to ban or hinder imports of machine tools so that the domestic industry flourishes. In order to support its petition (to persuade the government to hinder the imports), the industry has cited that national security may be compromised if machine tools are imported.

Option C explains why the industry did so.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Hi,

Although your explanation is appropriate,I am still unable to get the stimulus as to why it is a paradox.

Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

Above statement says that "Before DD connected security with import , MTI raised NSI in its petition for Import Quotas".Somehow I am unable to get this statement because of the usage of "However".Don't know where the contrast lies when MTI and DD both are connecting Security Issue with the Imports.

Shrinkage of MTI => USA ability decreases to wage a prolonged war.

Plz Advise

Rgds,
TGC !

Hi TGC.

The most important thing is the intended meaning of the stimulus, don't simply see signal words such as however, but, etc... and determine two sides of the paradox. In 700+ questions, many signal words are trap.. You should read the stimulus carefully to digest the intended meaning.

I will reorganize and rephrase some parts of the stimulus.

Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. [So Government set the import quotas policies to support the machine-tool industry.] However, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas. [Finally, the Defense Department publicly realized and connected this security issue with the import quota issue.]

The question stem is:

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industry’s raising the issue [of import quotas to] national security?

Does it help you? Let me know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
C. The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.
machine-tool industry raised national security issue in its petition for import quotas to take leverage of the position taken by the defense dept. Industry made its petition strong & implied that "if you don't accept this petition, Industry will shrink & that shrinkage will have an impact on National Security"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [2]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Hi,

Although your explanation is appropriate,I am still unable to get the stimulus as to why it is a paradox.

Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

Above statement says that "Before DD connected security with import , MTI raised NSI in its petition for Import Quotas".Somehow I am unable to get this statement because of the usage of "However".Don't know where the contrast lies when MTI and DD both are connecting Security Issue with the Imports.

Shrinkage of MTI => USA ability decreases to wage a prolonged war.

Plz Advise

Rgds,
TGC !

Hi TGC.

The most important thing is the intended meaning of the stimulus, don't simply see signal words such as however, but, etc... and determine two sides of the paradox. In 700+ questions, many signal words are trap.. You should read the stimulus carefully to digest the intended meaning.

I will reorganize and rephrase some parts of the stimulus.

Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. [So Government set the import quotas policies to support the machine-tool industry.] However, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas. [Finally, the Defense Department publicly realized and connected this security issue with the import quota issue.]

The question stem is:

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industry’s raising the issue [of import quotas to] national security?

Does it help you? Let me know.

Yes , now its clear enough.However,I would have never got the stimulus the way you interpreted it for me.In fact, this question literally killed me.

Rgds,
TGC !
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vnigam21 wrote:
Even after going through the above explanations, I am not able to understand the following argument itself. Can anyone please help in explaining the argument only.

Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

My understanding :

Defense Department is worried about the ability of the US to wage and support a prolonged war is endangered if machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. (Some Machine Tool manufacturing Base is shrinking which will endanger the ability of the US to wage(?) a prolonged war, this is causing Defense Department to worry)

Now, there is some connection of security issue with some import quota issue (I am not able to get this statement at all, please can you explain). In earlier statement we were talking about the worry of DD which was related to wage a war. Now security issue I get, but what is the meaning of import quota?
Security Issue - US not able to wage a war, so it can be a security concern
Import Quota Issue - As per my understanding, the import of machine tools by machine-tool manufacturing base, as it is shrinking

The machine tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas. (As cannot follow the above line, so this conclusion does not make any sense to me) Even I did not get what does it mean "National Security Issue for Import Quotas". The security issue was that US was not able to wage a prolonged war, than how that is linked to import quotas.

The link that you are missing is the link the question assumes (and even other questions will assume). The link is between the imports of goods and the impact on the local industry. What happens if there are imports of goods? It negatively impacts the local industry. Right? What if we limit the imports through some import quota? It'll be better for the local industry. Right?

Now, if your security is at stake if an industry shrinks further, isn't it logical that you'll start thinking of import quotas in that industry so that the local industry is saved?

- Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Paradaox -
Import quota - minimum limit on import.
It is important to understand that " Import Quota limit" can be good for one group and bad for another.

current supply for defense = Manufacturing industry + import

Manufacturing industry suppy may decrease so defense department wants to increase import hence increase import quota limit.

Import quota limit is bad for Defense Department because manufacture industry may shrink and for prolonged war defense department required more defense supply.
On the other hand,
import quota limit is good for Machine tool industry because it will help against foreign competition. Hence, machine tool industry wants the quota limit to be present or not increased.

Now, Paradox is-

Defense department wanted to use national security to increase quota raising security concern.
Machine tool industry gave same national security reason to put quota.

Why?

Option C explains that it will be easier to get the quota implemented by giving defense related (national security related) issue.

No other option explains this paradox.

Difficult part - It is difficult to comprehend that what is import quota and it can swing both ways good or bad for different groups.

Cheers!!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Probus wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma,

Can you please help me to understand how this is a paradox question. What part should i have read to get the ides that questions is asking to explain the paradox

Probus

Actually, there is no contradiction here. The situation is unexpected and you have to explain it. We don't have to explain why the Defence Department did not come up with the connection. We just have to explain how come the machine tool industry came up with the security concern issue.

The Defense Dep worries about issues of safety and security and the preparedness during possible war. So one would expect them to bring up the topic of "establishing an import quota" so that our manufacturing base does not shrink beyond acceptable. An import quota restricts imports and hence the manufacturing base needs to be maintained in the country to meet demand. The argument tells us that instead, the machine tool industry raised the issue of national security and requested to establish an import quota. The machine tool industry would suffer if there is no import quota since there would be indiscriminate imports and the manufacturing base in the country would shrink. So they want import quota. But it was surprising that they brought up the security concern issue instead of the usual loss of jobs, lower quality imports etc. That is what the question asks us to explain - Instead of the Defence Department bringing up this issue, how come the machine tool industry brought it up?
Option (C) tells us that the machine tool industry has tried lots of other reasons but the Govt has not paid heed. So then it makes sense, that out of desperation, they tried a valid concern which otherwise is someone else's job. But they tried to catch the Govt's attention by brining it up.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saby1410 wrote:
VeritasKarishma

how to tackle this type of question if someone doesn't now about import quotas or any info which someone don't now about

It is recommended to have a working knowledge of common terminology used in economics, law, politics etc. Though GMAT questions do not expect you to bring in any outside knowledge, it is fair to expect that the test taker reads some daily newspaper. If you don't know a term, you might need to extract its meaning from context but it could take time or leave you confused. The only logical course of action in that case would be to guess and move on instead of wasting time.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Can some expert pour in and explain please.

I am unable to get the stimulus itself,answering it is another step.

Plz Advise!

Rgds,
TGC !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools: HBS '18
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I spent 3:30 minutes on this question and got it wrong.

I narrowed down the choices to B and C. Ultimately, I chose

B. The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.

My rationale: if the The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry, then maybe The Defense Department did not connect the dots between declining machine tool industry and the effect of that on national security. Therefore, the machine tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas in order to bring the Defense Department's attention to the issue and get support required.

Obviously this is incorrect, but am not sure why. Can anyone please clarify?

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [1]
Send PM