Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.23
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
bl13 wrote:
I suspect that number includes people who only got loans. Found a more recent chat in 2011 where Liz said the same thing - "Each year about a third of the incoming class receives some type of merit-based scholarship, but it is competitive."

https://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... _duke.aspx

Good to know, thanks! :)
Director
Director
Send PM
asimov wrote:
bl13 wrote:
In an online chat in 2007, Liz mentioned about a third of the class got merit scholarships. I'd be curious if anyone has more up to date info on this.
Fuqua traditionally has been very stingy with scholarships. Partly because we are such a young school, and have one of the smallest endowment among the elite schools. Not only is the % of people with scholarship less than others, the amount of scholarship is smaller as well. However, I think this may be changing. I know Dean Boulding is really pushing alumni giving and general fundraising. A big part of the push is to grow the scholarship pot. Albeit, I don't know which class this will affect.

Got my admit packet today... suffice to say the increased scholarship pot didn't impact me (read: no money here). Without significant scholarship aid, I will be withdrawing within the next few days. Good luck, everyone; have a great time in Durham!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just received my admit packet today! Very excited! I thought a Duke t-shirt was going to be included since there was a question about shirt size in the application form. Oh well...

So far, the admission process has been very positive and personalised - Didn't receive a call from adcom since I just moved to a different country for a project and didn't have time to update adcom with the latest contact details, but I've had 5 personal emails with congratulatory messages and offers to chat via email or Skype if I have any questions! The emails were from a senior associate director of admissions, my interviewer, the Fuqua Buddy Coordinator, my Fuqua Buddy, and an associate professor. Wow! I'm very impressed.

Meanwhile, I haven't heard anything from Darden after being admitted 3 days ago. I already received the personal emails from Fuqua's senior associate director (received over the weekend - 1 day after the notification date! Now that's really beyond impressive!) and my interviewer within 3 days after Rd 2's notification date.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
theK wrote:
Just received my admit packet today! Very excited! I thought a Duke t-shirt was going to be included since there was a question about shirt size in the application form. Oh well...

So far, the admission process has been very positive and personalised - Didn't receive a call from adcom since I just moved to a different country for a project and didn't have time to update adcom with the latest contact details, but I've had 5 personal emails with congratulatory messages and offers to chat via email or Skype if I have any questions! The emails were from a senior associate director of admissions, my interviewer, the Fuqua Buddy Coordinator, my Fuqua Buddy, and an associate professor. Wow! I'm very impressed. Meanwhile, I haven't heard anything from Darden after being admitted 3 days ago...

I already received the personal emails from Fuqua's senior associate director (received over the weekend! Now that's really beyond impressive!) and my interviewer 3 days after Rd 2's notification date.

gotta love the personal contact.. i didn't receive as much communication as you (would have loved to hear from a professor!) but still have loved the process. i've been away this whole week so i can't wait to get home tonight to open the admit package. it's funny, because i got a rejection from Kellogg yesterday, but had completely forgotten that yesterday was decision day for Kellogg because i'm already set on Duke. All you need is that one right acceptance and nothing else matters!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
theK wrote:

So far, the admission process has been very positive and personalised - Didn't receive a call from adcom since I just moved to a different country for a project and didn't have time to update adcom with the latest contact details, but I've had 5 personal emails with congratulatory messages and offers to chat via email or Skype if I have any questions! The emails were from a senior associate director of admissions, my interviewer, the Fuqua Buddy Coordinator, my Fuqua Buddy, and an associate professor. Wow! I'm very impressed. Meanwhile, I haven't heard anything from Darden after being admitted 3 days ago...

I already received the personal emails from Fuqua's senior associate director (received over the weekend! Now that's really beyond impressive!) and my interviewer 3 days after Rd 2's notification date.

Hah! I said the exact something about t shirts! But glad to hear they've stepped up their game with timing of contact. Radio silence for two weeks after hearing the result isn't as fun.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jontron wrote:
The t-shirts are given out during BDW. Those of us who attended the February one are already wearing them for March Madness! Go Blue Devils!

Thanks for the info. If we can't attend BDW, can we still get the t-shirts when we start in August? :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
so anyone holding off full blown celebrations till the background check stuff?
before i completely check out from work, there a nagging voice in my head that says what if the background check does not go through. hold off on your celebrations and grand travel plans till everything is set in stone. anyone else feeling this? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
ghosht wrote:
before i completely check out from work, there a nagging voice in my head that says what if the background check does not go through. hold off on your celebrations and grand travel plans till everything is set in stone. anyone else feeling this? :)

A paranoiac, like a poet, is born, not made.

- Bunuel (not from the quant forum; the spanish film maker)

*couldn't resist*

hahaha....pretty accurate I guess.
Director
Director
Send PM
ghosht wrote:

You aren't alone :lol:. This has run through my head, too!
Board of Directors
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
kingfalcon wrote:
ghosht wrote:

You aren't alone :lol:. This has run through my head, too!

And mine ... I'm not completely celebrating until I have an email address. I feel like at that point they can't kick me out (barring academics or not paying tuition)!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HAHA. what exactly do they look for in the background check? why is everyone concerned?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Squish wrote:
The background check is really a formality. You'd have to be actively trying to deceive on your application to fail the check. In my case the person doing the background check was in touch to clarify my undergrad studies (my undergrad university changed its name). Within a couple of days of the clarification, the check was complete.

Did they contact you to do that or directly your university?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V42
Send PM
They contacted me directly to get transcripts and copies of my degree. I'm assuming that after that they would have contacted the University directly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.49
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Do anyone now when does Fuqua offers scolarships? It is at the admit decision or on another date?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jmandion wrote:
Do anyone now when does Fuqua offers scolarships? It is at the admit decision or on another date?

My offer came both on the phone, as well as in a letter in my admit package.

Currently away for work, but can't wait til I'm home tomorrow night and can finally send in my deposit! WOO HOO!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Any R3 applicants heard anything from the school yet?
VP
VP
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Already made your decision ? Have a look at the following threads and let us know your story:

1.) 2013 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results - NO DISCUSSION!

2.)The evolution of your B-school pursuit

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  81   82   83   84   85   86   87  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts