Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [11]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: times of war [#permalink]
Why E is correct?
Doesn't E have comma after "During times of War"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Perhaps a typo with E?

I answered B.

Can someone explain why B is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [0]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Hi Scheol,

B is not a correct choice because comma after the words "time of war" is redandant.
cheers. :!:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
i m still not clear why B is out..
Please explain... :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 529 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
Send PM
can someone explain E? I thought it was B:(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
feruz77 wrote:
During times of war, defense equipment manufacturing increases while car manufacturing decreases downward in favor of military contracts.

(A) During times of war, defense equipment manufacturing increases while car manufacturing decreases downward in favor of military contracts.
(B) In favor of military contracts during times of war, car manufacturing decreases while defense equipment manufacturing increases.
(C) At times of war, defense equipment manufacturing increases in favor of military contracts while car manufacturing decreases downward.
(D) During times of war, car manufacturing decreases in favor of military contracts, increasing defense equipment manufacturing.
(E) During times of war military contracts are favored, decreasing car manufacturing and increasing defense equipment manufacturing.

IMO E.
A is out as 'downward' is redundant.
B is out as due to modifiers issues. Two modifiers are together with a lot of ambiguity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
I still cannot see why B is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM
feruz77 wrote:
During times of war, defense equipment manufacturing increases while car manufacturing decreases downward in favor of military contracts.

(A) During times of war, defense equipment manufacturing increases while car manufacturing decreases downward in favor of military contracts.
(B) In favor of military contracts during times of war, car manufacturing decreases while defense equipment manufacturing increases.
(C) At times of war, defense equipment manufacturing increases in favor of military contracts while car manufacturing decreases downward.
(D) During times of war, car manufacturing decreases in favor of military contracts, increasing defense equipment manufacturing.
(E) During times of war military contracts are favored, decreasing car manufacturing and increasing defense equipment manufacturing.

@craky, Please check the below explanation. If you are not yet sure, PM me.

A and C use the redundant downward.
B uses dangling modifiers and D is verbose and not parallel.

only E is parallel. Hence E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
(E)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
During times of war, defense equipment manufacturing [#permalink]
1. Redundancy helps eliminate A and C. Decreasing downward is the phrase that portrays redundancy.

2. Understanding the statement: Defense manufacturing increases and consequentially car manufacturing decreases. There is a cause and effect here.

Use of while eliminates the cause and effect thought. B is eliminated

3. D v/s E

[b]No favor is done to anything. One thing happens and that leads to another. I know this reasoning would not be of much help. It would be great if someone were to point out the grammatical flaw in the statement. (As I write this, I have one more doubt about the statement - It would be great if someone could do something. Is the presence of would and could together in a statement correct?)

Hence the option I'd go with is (E) During times of war military contracts are favored, decreasing car manufacturing and increasing defense equipment manufacturing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Re: During times of war, defense equipment manufacturing [#permalink]
feruz77 wrote:

Can someone explain exactly why B is wrong?
I see only one reason - E sends a clearer message than B, that is all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
DharLog wrote:
feruz77 wrote:

Can someone explain exactly why B is wrong?
I see only one reason - E sends a clearer message than B, that is all.

In option B there are no subject verb pair, so whole sentence is fragment.

Here "Car manufacturing" doesn't perform the task of decrees or ""deference equipment manufacturing" doesnt perform the task of incresing. So SV pair is missing.

Whereas in Option E "decreasing car manufacturing and increasing defense equipment manufacturing" acts as verb-ing modifier and it clearly states that how military contracts are favored. So it make sense.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts