Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Geometryx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619244 [247]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16845 [36]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [30]
Given Kudos: 417
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [23]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Each of 27 white 1-centimeter cubes will have exactly one face painted [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Number of cubes having 3 faces outside- 8 (corner ones)

Number of cubes having 2 faces outside- 12*(n-2)= 12*(3-2)= 12

Number of cubes having 1 face outside- \(6*(n-2)^2\) =\( 6*{(3-2)^2}\) = 6

Number of cubes having 0 face outside- \((n-2)^2\) = \({(3-2)^2}\)=1

Maximum number of colored faces outside=8+12+6=26

greatest possible fraction of the surface area that could be red= \(\frac{26}{54} \)= \(\frac{13}{27}\)

Originally posted by nick1816 on 26 Apr 2019, 07:33.
Last edited by nick1816 on 17 Nov 2019, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [13]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Each of 27 white 1-centimeter cubes will have exactly one face painted [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Each of 27 white 1-centimeter cubes will have exactly one face painted red. If these 27 cubes are joined together to form one large cube, as shown above, what is the greatest possible fraction of the surface area that could be red?

A. 11/27
B. 13/27
C. 1/2
D. 5/9
E. 19/27

PS93602.01
Quantitative Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

Attachment:
The attachment 2019-04-26_1734.png is no longer available

A very simple and less confusing way is..

STEP I
There are 27 cubes joined to make a bigger cube. As you can see the figure too, 26 of these cubes have at least one of their faces open to air, so we have 26 of \(1*1 cm^2\) faces colored red.
OR there is 1 cube right in the center which does not have any face open to air, so remaining 26 have at least 1 face open to air.
To maximize the red color, we take that the red colored face is surely open to air.

STEP II
Total surface area in \(cm^2=6*(3*3)=54 cm^2\)

greatest possible fraction of the surface area that could be red = \(\frac{26}{54}=\frac{13}{27}\)

If you look at the sketch attached.
There are 13 faces of smaller cube colored in THREE sides of the bigger cube, and similarly for the other 3 sides.. smaller cube faces in these THREE faces of bigger cube = 3*3*3
Fraction = \(\frac{13}{3*(3*3)}\)

B
Attachments

2019-04-26_1734.png
2019-04-26_1734.png [ 10.93 KiB | Viewed 35806 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [10]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Easiest way for me is just to draw the unfolded cube and do it in steps counting the red faces:

Total = 9 faces per side * 6 sides = 54

1) There are 2 All red sides that are opposite each other (e.g. top and bottom face): 9 faces * 2 sides = 18

Next, there are 4 adjacent (side) faces, all of them must not touch any red, and a pair of those adjacent faces must not touch the other pair's red edges. This is my shorthand for saying that since the bottom and top 6 cubes are "exposed" their adjacent faces on the sides won't be red. So all that's left to be red is the cubes in the middle row that weren't affected by the top and bottom face, and among these they also cannot touch.

2) First pair of adjacents: 3*2 = 6

3) Second pair: 1*2 = 2

18+6+2 = 26 / 54 --> 13/27
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [6]
Given Kudos: 417
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Re: Each of 27 white 1-centimeter cubes will have exactly one face painted [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi rishabhjain13

I am not considering exposed sides as per the diagram.
even the bottom ones are considered.
lets calculate colored (exposed) area again,

Now how many cubes do we have?

how many are exposed?
26. (all except the one at the center)

for each exposed cube, how many faces are colored?
1 (given that Each of 27 white cubes will have exactly one face painted red)

since we are calculating greatest possible surface area that could be red,
Maximum red faces can be 27 * 1 = 27 but one red face for the cube at the center can never be exposed.
so maximum red surface exposed will be 26.
(imagine arrangement where in colored side of each cube is exposed/facing outward).

To calculate fraction, we need to divide this with total surface exposed in a cube (painted or not painted)

total surface area exposed in a cube = number of faces in big cube * no of faces of 1-centimeter cubes in each face of big cube
= 6 * 9 ( you can understand this from the diagram)
= 54
ans = 26/54
=13/27

I hope its clear. Maybe experts can explain it in a better manner.

Regards,
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [6]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Each of 27 white 1-centimeter cubes will have exactly one face painted [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rishabhjain13 wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert ScottTargetTestPrep Bhanupriya05

I'm sorry, I don't understand the solution(s) provided, especially when you say all the 'exposed' sides, why do we consider the exposed sides (as per the diagram) when even the ones on the bottom could also have been painted red? [Bunuel could you please clarify on this?]

As per the 'exposed' sides, the most bottom right cube would be considered as two red faces, but the question stem clearly says, "Each of 27 white 1-centimeter cubes will have exactly one face painted red"

I'm not sure where am I getting confused in here, and would sincerely appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance.

Let’s rephrase the question to make sure we clearly understand what the question is asking: We have 27 small cubes with a side length of 1. We paint exactly one face of each cube red and then stack these smaller cubes to form the shape depicted on the diagram. Though that’s not exactly what the question is asking, we actually need to figure out how many red faces we will see at most.

Having that said, I think you are getting confused about the number of visible faces (which is 56) versus the number of small cubes (which is 27). Let me provide an alternative explanation to overcome that. Let’s classify the smaller cubes into four groups: a) The cubes with 3 exposed faces (the cubes which are on the corner of the big cube, there are 8 of them) b) The cubes with 2 exposed faces (the cubes which are on the edge but not on the corner of the big cube, there are 12 of them) c) The cubes with 1 exposed face (the cubes which are at the center of each face, there are 6 of them) d) The cube with no exposed face (the only cube which is at the core of the larger cube)

Let’s pick one face from each group besides the no visible face group and paint it red. Then, we will have 8 + 12 + 6 = 26 of them. That’s why you can have at most 26 faces painted red.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [3]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Kudos
A77777 wrote:
This must be super simple but I am not getting the part where we subtract 1 from 27. ie: 26 (all except the one at the center). why is that one not exposed?
Why? Pls explain:=)))

Hey mate,
Because it is surrounded by other cubes, on top of it, bottom, left and right there are other cubes so this specific cube does not affect the exterior part of the larger cube.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM