Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]
Hi, I'm an international student for UCLA Anderson.

As most of you, I'm also facing a big obstacle with the nocosignor loans. UCLA apparently hasn't been able to reach an agreement with the credit unions, therefore they are suggesting us to find alternate sources.

Now my question is this, how is it that some schools are able to provide these loans (Kellogg) while others find it much more difficult? Is the school ranking and brand name a factor in all this?

I'm a bit torn because I still have time to hold on to my job and apply for another school next year instead of paying for the first year of my MBA with money out of my pocket.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[size=85]Finance
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,
Do you know if a private loan with cosigner can be denied? and what could be the reasons?
I am asking that because I may have found a cosigner but he is worry that his current salary and other existing loans won't help me qualify for a private loan with Citibank (although he doesn't have a bad credit history).
I have been admitted to CBS and I will probably have to borrow the full cost+living expenses.
Any insights, advices???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Great thread, there's a lot of ambiguity surrounding financing for the top shcools. Does anyone know of a site or link where the schools are listed with their specific financing options?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
nachoa18 wrote:
Hi all,
Do you know if a private loan with cosigner can be denied? and what could be the reasons?
I am asking that because I may have found a cosigner but he is worry that his current salary and other existing loans won't help me qualify for a private loan with Citibank (although he doesn't have a bad credit history).
I have been admitted to CBS and I will probably have to borrow the full cost+living expenses.
Any insights, advices???

You won't know until you apply. It's possible they might not loan you the full amount you're requesting, or more likely they will but under not particularly favorable conditions. It really makes a difference, so I'd go with the most creditworthy co-signer possible, if your situation allows it. Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Rux10 wrote:
Great thread, there's a lot of ambiguity surrounding financing for the top shcools. Does anyone know of a site or link where the schools are listed with their specific financing options?

If you mean speficially in the context of international borrowers, I doubt it - hence this thread. Let us know if you find something though. Another way to think about it is also by lender (as opposed to school), since that's a lot easier to categorize and be exhaustive. For instance, Citi, BofA and Fannie Mae will lend to international students. It is also advisable and often easier to get a loan from your home country.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ariel, Thanks for the response.
In my case, I'm going to check with some banks (in home country) what kind of options I can get. We'll see...
And good luck to everyone.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi,
lately i heard about many b-schools that created loan programs for international students with no need for an american co-signer. the rates are not bad and they can cover the tuition (minus any scholarship received). you should probably check with the specific schools you are applying to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Darden,UNC,Tuck,Tepper,Emory
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
anyone willing to discuss UNC's tuition and cost of living?
I recently got into UNC but i haven't received any scholarship.
I want to know if anyone else is in the same boat?
WillMba2012, does UNC's loan only cover tuition and required fee?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
can someone shed some light on the cost of living and other expenses at Chapel Hill?
UNC estimates it at $21,000 .
Is it really this much for each year?
any help is appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
ariel wrote:
Rux10 wrote:

If you mean speficially in the context of international borrowers, I doubt it - hence this thread. Let us know if you find something though. Another way to think about it is also by lender (as opposed to school), since that's a lot easier to categorize and be exhaustive. For instance, Citi, BofA and Fannie Mae will lend to international students. It is also advisable and often easier to get a loan from your home country.

Unfortunately, I will be looking for home financing from Ireland. Any idea how tough it is getting money from an Irish bank at the moment! I'm hoping Citi, BofA and Fannie Mae can come through when the time comes to apply for financing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools:UNC, DUKE
Send PM
Pdgmat2010 wrote:
can someone shed some light on the cost of living and other expenses at Chapel Hill?
any help is appreciated.

Cost of living varies a lot depending on your life style, but as a reference a one bedroom close to KFBS is about $900 a month, now if you are willing to have a roommate you could be paying $500 to $600. If you eat on campus probably you will need $15 a day for food (much cheaper if you cook).

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the $21k is what the US government asks you to prove in order to get a visa. Chapel Hill is much cheaper than Chicago or NYC, if you watch your expenses you could need only $10K a year, but not likely.

I hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship, International Management
Schools:UC Berkeley, UCLA
WE 1: Applications
WE 2: Marketing Engr
Send PM
Can anyone share your experience with Haas (UCB) on Financial aid?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
willmba2012 wrote:
Pdgmat2010 wrote:
any help is appreciated.

Cost of living varies a lot depending on your life style, but as a reference a one bedroom close to KFBS is about $900 a month, now if you are willing to have a roommate you could be paying $500 to $600. If you eat on campus probably you will need $15 a day for food (much cheaper if you cook).

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the $21k is what the US government asks you to prove in order to get a visa. Chapel Hill is much cheaper than Chicago or NYC, if you watch your expenses you could need only $10K a year, but not likely.

I hope this helps

Absolutely, Thanks Will. This helps a lot & is the most clear information I have received thus far.
Cheers!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
I haven't really looked at loans yet - just been focusing on getting my apps in and hopefully have a school to go to in the Fall. I'm a Canadian and will have worked in the US for 2 years by the time I go to business school. Does anyone know if I can still qualify for the US-based loans? Or am going to have to go down the international path?

It's going to suck to have to give up my L1-A visa but 'tis life I guess...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Interesting topic, but I don't understand how business schools would be very sure that the international student will pay his/her loan back, especially that most of them will leave the states after graduate!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q43  V41
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years
Send PM
Hey Ariel, This is a great thread and I'm glad that I stumbled upon it!

I am really curious to know how you managed to work around the fact that Cornell does not allow the student loan to be used on the declaration of finances form? I recently heard from admissions that my application, which was wait listed in R2, is being considered for the class of 2013 provided I can work through the VISA part pretty quickly. But I know for sure that gathering the financial resources in order for Cornell to issue me the I-20 is going to be very tough......so any light you or other current students could shed on this will be really very helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5