Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [21]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools:UNC, DUKE
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
These are the details of Tucks 2011 - 2012 loan program for internationals. Fingers crossed that they don't mind me posting this. Also, the loan program seems to be independent from scholarships, I was awarded a reasonable scholarship and I was still allowed to take the maximum amount out in loans.

• Individual maximum amount varies and is determined by Tuck’s Financial Aid office by performing needs analysis
• Finance up to the cost of tuition and mandatory fees (not to exceed $57,000 annually)
• Apply once and secure financing for your entire graduate studies with a unique Line of Credit structure
• Zero origination or pre-payment fees
• Variable interest rate based on Prime Rate plus 4.00% for student only
• 0.50% interest rate discount for borrowers with an approved U.S. co-signer
• Co-signer not required
• Interest is added to principal upon entering repayment
• Flexible repayment options, including full deferment of payments while in school
• 20 or 25 year repayment period, depending on loan balance – or repay early at any time with no penalty
• 6 month grace period prior to entering repayment
• 0.25% rate discount for automatic electronic payment during repayment
• Optional graduated repayment which provides lower payments during the first two years of repayment
• 24/7 Call Center and Online Application
• Loan is granted and held by your not-for-profit credit union – a lender relationship you can trust

Tuck will determine the maximum line of credit amount the student may be eligible to borrow. This is determined by a needs analysis based on a variety of factors, including cost of the program, their ability to contribute, debt levels consistent with successful repayment, and availability of funds. The school reserves the right to limit or decline educational loans or lines of credit on the basis of a student’s overall debt burden, credit history, or other relevant factors.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everyone,

I am really glad I found this thread, it is really important and the whole financial aid matter is not explored enough on this forum as much as it is for domestic US students.

Like many international students here, I will not apply to any school I could see myself in because of the financing options. For example, there is no reason for me to apply to Wharton if my country in western Balkans is sanctioned by OFAC on Quorum loans offered by Wharton. The only way for me to finance my MBA is through private loans and scholarship while the personal assets will be just a humble contribution. And if I cannot get aid from the schools, potential admission would not matter to me if I could not attend.

After my research I see it is doable to get these loans but not at all schools. For example, at Duke/MIT you can fully finance your MBA through loans while Columbia does not offer them to international students. I think the key before applying to any school in the USA is knowing your limits (or limits of the school). You simply cannot think the same way Americans do about attending, say, Columbia unless you come from a very wealthy family or country (wealthy countries have better financial markets and better options of getting those loans).

My goal is to find a dream school out of those that offer loans and there is nothing wrong with that. To help some people out, I created a small table about financing options at 14 schools in the US. Some of these schools are of interest to me, some of them I looked into just for my curiosity. The file is attached to this post, you will be able to see the price of the first year, availability of loans, specialization of some schools (not fully researched), and scholarship range I looked from Aringo MBA admission consulting website.

My question for you people is this: I know that if I got into Duke I would be able to get loans for the cost of attendance. Naturally, I would prefer to get a scholarship first and to cover the rest in loans. But, is it realistic to hope for a person (not just me and my profile) to get both scholarship and loans, or it is 1) full loans or 2)partial scholarship while I cover the rest?

p.s. let's keep this topic alive!

EDIT: So a person PMed me with various questions regarding the spreadsheet I created. I realized it is not comprehensible for most people (I do not blame them), so I am editing this post by posting my reply to the person who has sent me his questions. I hope it clarifies things a little more for all of you.

Quote:
First of all, I guess I needed to provide more clarification in that post. I made the spreadsheet more for myself than for other people but I decided to share it. However, I will gladly provide you with the necessary info.

-The colors mean the following: Green means "you can go for it since you can get fully financed without any scholarship", orange means "it is doable but you will need at least some kind of scholarship because there are certain limits to how much you can borrow" while red means "you cannot finance it since you either need a US co-signor or there are other limitations."

-As I mentioned, scholarship range I got is from Aringo MBA consulting website. That means if you get admitted your scholarship could also be significantly higher or lower. It is more of a yardstick, not a definitive scenario. Moreover, it kind of makes sense for Sloan to offer lower scholarships than most schools (although that may not be actually the case), since they guarantee financing to every student in full amount of cost of attendance (COA).

-As far as Kellog is concerned, I do not remember things all that well since I am not all that interested in applying. But I do believe that my info is correct. You should check it on their website. If it is your target school, contact the financial aid office. They could have changed financing options since 2010, such things happen especially in this kind of economy.

-Tuck, YSOM (and I think Johnson was the same scenario). It means that you can borrow up to a full tuition but not total cost of attendance (room, board and fees). Thus, if you received, say, $30K scholarship from those schools it would apply towards tuition cost only. You still have to pay for other costs from your own pocket. Do you see what I mean?

-Anderson is same as three schools above except that you can, to my understanding, receive scholarship for room&board and fees and then apply loans towards tuition. And yes, they do provide loans without co-signor, but not in the full amount of COA.

-"$$$ = Scholarship for room/board to cover the difference" means that you cannot receive scholarship for room/board, only tuition (I kind of said it already). It is just an explanation, like an asterix

-and those four schools I mentioned are my schools I will be looking at. That's all.

-"/" in the scholarship column means that I could not get any info.

Attachments

File comment: A small simple list of schools and their financial aid structure for international students. Scholarship range is based on the info I found on Aringo MBA consulting and scholarship could also be actually smaller and bigger.
MBA Schools.xlsx [11.64 KiB]
Downloaded 749 times

Originally posted by Baracuda123 on 04 Nov 2012, 15:04.
Last edited by Baracuda123 on 16 Nov 2012, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Send PM
Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'm not sure exactly how it will work for international students but you should check out CommonBond.co and SoFi.com. They are both companies that specialize giving and refinancing loans for MBA's.

Also, try to get the loans in your home country, sometimes that works better. Where i'm from you can apply to a "loan-scholarship" which is a government program that encourages study abroad so they will give you the loan interest free as long as you return to the country.

I also would like to recommend taking a look a t a company called pymetrics. pymetrics is a neuroscience game-based assessment test that reveals your top cognitive and traits. After you complete 12 (2min) games you will receive a a complete profile with a career report and industry matches. The cool thing is that there are companies hiring in the site, so if you are found compatible with one of the jobs posted, you will have the option to be contacted by the company. It's an awesome method to be recruited. Imagine never writing a resume or cover letter again!

https://bit.ly/1JxEviS
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Kudos
A couple of questions for loans:

I noticed that for most of the top US schools, Prodigy funds up to 80% of the cost of attendance, which is similar to other programs offered by the schools. Can I borrow (assuming I'm approved), 80% from Prodigy and 20% from another loan program?

Similarly, are there loan options for people with US based co-signers that will cover the full cost of attendance?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72899 [2]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jmikery wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Discover Student Loans? They require a co-signer but you can get up to 100% of the cost of attendance loaned. However, this page: https://www.discover.com/student-loans/ ... ional.html says:

Quote:
You may need to send us a copy of your passport and one of the following documents for loan approval. We will notify you when we need them during the application process.
F-1 Visa
H1-B Visa
J-1 Visa
L-1 (L1A or L1B) Visa
Form DS-2019
Form I-20
Form I-766
Form I-797

Given that I'll need to show capability to pay for the costs of the MBA when I apply for a student visa, how likely is it for Discover to require those docs (they mention that they MAY require but not WILL require). If they do require those docs, it's a chicken and egg situation where I can't get Discover approval without a visa and I can't get a visa without loan approval.

I've emailed them a couple of times but I just get robo responses and no clear answer

This will be something that will fall on the shoulders of your co-signer to break through to try to convince them to approve or at least pre-approve the loan.
This issue has existed for as long as I can remember and I am surprised it has not been resolved yet. However, if you have a US co-signer you have a good availability of options to apply for. You can also check SoFi, M7 Financial, and Prodigy Finance to compare quotes options and amount of headache (which may end up the deciding factor)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos