Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 05:35 It is currently 08 May 2024, 05:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [4]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Send PM
Re: For new order transactions, Oracle-Sun server's new world-record TTP [#permalink]
I am don't understand why 'running Costs' is mentioned as valid here. The conclusion talks about 'improving the bottom line of IT organization' ...even if the running costs are higher...Oracle servers can still improve the IT organisation. I was stuck between A and D but picked Option A because the stimulus specified that, the better Oracle server benchmark is 'for new order transactions'. Can an expert help out, pls
daagh mikemcgarry egmat

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Re: For new order transactions, Oracle-Sun server's new world-record TTP [#permalink]
Even i went with D.. Would like to see an explanation for this one!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 510
Send PM
I went with option D as well. With the analogy between oracle and sun services, we need to come up with the assumption that both of them are similar.

Would like an explanation for why B is right
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sandman13 wrote:
For new order transactions, Oracle-Sun server's new world-record TTP benchmark beats the next best TTP result posted by IBM server by nearly 3X in throughput performance while delivering more than 3x better average response time. Moreover, Oracle-Sun's servers cost 26% less than the IBM's server. Therefore, CIOs whose organizations process new order transactions will improve the bottom line of their IT organization by switching their future server purchases from IBM to Oracle-Sun.

Which of the following is an assumption made in the argument?

A. Most customers who purchase any computing equipment process at least some new order transactions

B. The oracle-Sun server does not have appreciably higher running costs that the IBM server.

C. The resale value of Oracle-Sun server is similar to that of the IBM server.

D. The suite of services provided by Oracle-Sun matches that provided by IBM.

E. Oracle-Sun and IBM are the only server options available to IT organizations.

+1 for B

Prethinking:
Here Oracle's performance is 3x times better than IBM's performance. It also costs 26% less. The only thing that can stop a company from switching to Oracle server is any other cost that they can't afford such as maintenance etc. So we need to assume something which can fill the mentioned gap whether oracle's server can occur such costs or not?

A. Most customers who purchase any computing equipment process at least some new order transactions
- Incorrect. This doesn't give us any reason on why a company should opt Oracle or IBM.

B. The oracle-Sun server does not have appreciably higher running costs that the IBM server.
- Correct. This is inline with our pre thinking. Now Oracle's server is better at maintenance too so there can't be any other reason why a company might not choose oracle over IBM.

C. The resale value of Oracle-Sun server is similar to that of the IBM server.
- Incorrect. Resale value is irrelevant

D. The suite of services provided by Oracle-Sun matches that provided by IBM.
- Incorrect. Yes the suite of services matches that of IBM but how does this make Oracle better? Hence eliminate

E. Oracle-Sun and IBM are the only server options available to IT organizations.
- Incorrect. This doesn't help in determining which one is better
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Send PM
Saurabhminocha, Poojithaog have you seen this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-new-orde ... l#p2111139

B is correct because it removes the possibility of a negative which Oracle servers might have.

D is a trap because it twists you pre-thought assumption that both servers should have similar features -> D twists this into they should have exactly same features.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts