Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 20:21 It is currently 03 May 2024, 20:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [15]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63757 [0]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: From confused to 760 (Q49,V44)! Thank you gmatclub. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Congrats on the awesome score, Sammy599! And good luck with your applications!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V18
GMAT 2: 610 Q49 V24
GMAT 3: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
Congratulations on your wonderful score. Really inspiring for the other aspirants like me.................................................................
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
How exactly did you make use of Gmatclub? Could you please elaborate on that....Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
Send PM
Sammy599 wrote:
I took my GMAT just a few days ago and I want to type this out as soon as possible so that I can capture as much detail as possible, so bear with me if it seems a bit haphazard. I will keep updating this to add any additional details and correct any errors (PM me of you find any)! Now let’s get to the story itself:

Background:

Currently, I am in the final year of my undergraduate education in business and finance, and though I had been pondering over whether to take the exam for the past year ( I wasn't sure if I should get it done with at such an early stage of my career) I finally decided to get the exam over with once and for all (while I still have the will to study and all those maths concepts are still floating around in by head) since the scores will be valid for 5 years, giving me ample time to get some work-ex or get enrolled in one of the early enrollment programs- ISB YLP, Yale SS & HBS 2+2. I am an Indian male (hit the jackpot there, didn't I? :roll: ) and my work experience is limited to 2 internships that I have done- one with an infrastructure finance company and the other, a PR internship, with my local government body. In addition to this I have a bit of experience working in my family run firm but I doubt if it'll count for much due to its inherent lack of objectivity.

I took the first steps of my GMAT journey around early June this year and since then it’s been a long rollercoaster ride! Oddly enough, my GMAT journey didn't start with any prep material, rather the first thing I did was sign up for gmatclub on the suggestion of a friend (god bless that soul :grin: ) and started to dig through the mountain of information that is available through these forums. It was only after a week of rummaging through threads that I actually got around to any test material.

Materials Used:

Manhattan Prep Strategy Guides (all 10 books)
OG 16
GMAT Prep (only the free stuff)
Comprehansive SC Guide - Whiplash Style
Comprehensive CR Guide

The Mahattan books are a must have. If used thoroughly and correctly, these books can genuinely provide a person with all that is required for a 750+ score. These books were the foundation of my test prep and I used them to develop my approach to Verbal. I had most of my quant concepts sorted even before I started my prep - one of the few advantages of the Indian education system (looking back, it might be the only advantage :roll: ). The effort that I needed to put in for quant was largely related to getting used to the question formats and the quirks of the DS questions.

Enough has been said about the importance of the OG and GMATPrep software so I'm going to skip over that part; however, I will highlight that I did not use these two tools in the order suggested by most people. I took the first GMATPrep exam half way through my prep and the second a week away from the exam. As for the OG, I only got around to it in the last 3 weeks of my prep. It took me a week to solve and I had it ready for review along with an error log in the week leading up to my exam. Invaluable resource none the less (more on that ahead).

The last two items on list are the reasons why I love gmatclub this much! Look for them on the forums, you will thank me later. The CR guide is a beautifully compiled document which boils down the CR process to its essence and allows anyone to unravel it.

Practice Tests

Veritas - 700
MGMAT - 640 (Q44,V32)
GMATPrep - 720 (Q50,V38)
MGMAT - 670 (Q43,V38)
MGMAT - 650 (Q45,V34)
MGMAT - 680 (Q45,V37)
MGMAT - 710 (Q46,V41)
MGMAT - 720 (Q48,V40)
GMATPrep - 760 (Q50,V41)

The reason why I had such low scores in the first few MGMAT tests was my pacing. I simply could not finish the quant section in time and had to guess multiple questions at a stretch, and the verbal was a work in progress at that point anyway so there was not much to expect from it. After the first few tests I realized that the timing on a MGMAT test is a bit off, in the sense that their questions inherently take longer to solve even if you know how to solve them. Using a pacing strategy is a must. I learnt this a bit late but the results of it are evident in my scores!

On a side note, the verbal section on the actual exam is a leap and a bound away from any material available to aspirants. Even the OG and GMATPrep questions do not match the "style" of the actual thing so discussing any other test is a futile excersice. However, the questions aren't actually "tougher" as long as you have your concepts cemented into your mind.

In addition to the tests I mentioned above, I got myself access to the gmatclub tests. This was probably one of the best decisions I made. I used the gmatclub tests primarily for quant since they lack a bit on the verbal front. However, for anyone serious about bringing their A game to the quant section, I would
definitely recommend these tests!

Test Day

During the weekend leading up to the test I spent most of my time relaxing (I actually managed to watch two seasons of Rick and Morty) and very brief periods of revision. I figured that if I didn’t know it by now I wouldn’t be able to make much of a difference overnight anyway so I just focused on getting what I did know cemented in my mind.

For the test day itself, I had booked an afternoon slot for my exam since I wanted to get as much sleep in as possible by waking up late (I get really nervous before exams and never manage to sleep on time the night before). I reached the test center half an hour before my appointment and finished off the formalities in a relaxed manner. The lady at my test center was very nice and explained all the procedures to me and answered all my questions very well.

I carried a simple snack with me for the breaks: almonds, two small bars of chocolate, a cheese sandwich and a bottle of water. I chose to take the test in the order Quant-Verbal-IR-AWA because I wanted to get quant out of the way and focus with a clear mind on verbal, which I had worked harder for and knew would yield more in terms of results than would quant. My test taking experience was very pleasant and I didn’t face any issues whatsoever. However, I would like to state that I was a bit taken aback by the verbal section: it was very different from what I had prepared for. It was of a different style compared to all the other tests I had given. The ever so familiar 3:2 split was not as common on the actual exam as it is in the test prep material and the exam may test multiple errors in one question, which was not a common theme in my prep at least. But on the whole, as long as you’ve got your basics on your side, it shouldn’t be too difficult to manage.

After I had a look at my final scores, I was a bit disappointed with my quant score, especially since I felt the entire section went well except for 2 questions which I struggled with. I guess I underestimated this section and could have done better. With verbal, however, I was ecstatic. It was exactly what I had hoped for and I felt as if my hard work had paid off. For a moment though, I was sad about my quant score and even considered a retake but then I convinced myself that the idea of improving another 10 or 20 points was just not worth my time or effort.

My GMAT experience has been a pleasant one especially since I decided to go the self study route and controlled the progress of my own study. I’m glad that I achieve a satisfactory score in my first attempt and that my hard work paid off, but to mention my story without mentioning the part gmatclub played in it would be wrong. I owe a significant part of my success to the help and advice I received through gmatclub and I would definitely direct anyone who is serious about their GMAT exam to these forums. Thank you gmatclub!

First of all congratulations!
You certainly deserve more than a Kudo.

Now that you have real exam experience , how about hanging around in the forums and helping us.

Also How about having your score validated in GMAT club, you know there is a small question mark against your score at GMAT CLUB, if you click on that it will guide to on how to validate your score I think.
That looks more awesome.

Again congrats on a wonderful journey and a great score. :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Sammy599 - How did you improve your Verbal score from V32 to V41?! That's amazing! Although I am a voracious reader & have a good grasp on Grammar - I feel stuck on Verbal. Any tips?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Congrats on the awesome score, Sammy599! And good luck with your applications!

Thanks! I'm glad that I got a good GMAT score but I feel like its only a small checkbox on the adcom's checklist. I have a lot of work ahead with my applications, and I hope the help and guidance of the wonderful experts of gmatclub will pull me through once again. :grin:

Jabjagotabhisavera wrote:
Congratulations on your wonderful score. Really inspiring for the other aspirants like me.................................................................

Thank you!

When I was preparing for the exam, I used to read a lot of debriefs so that I could stay motivated - they're a wonderful way to remove the element of suprise from test day as well (it almost felt like I've done this before when I walked into the test center).

I just thought I should contribute my 2 cents in the event that it may help someone the way other debriefs helped me.

Originally posted by Sammy599 on 15 Sep 2017, 00:13.
Last edited by Sammy599 on 15 Sep 2017, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
sidharthbanda wrote:
How exactly did you make use of Gmatclub? Could you please elaborate on that....Thanks in advance

Hi Sidharth,

If I tried to answer that question with details, I would probably end up with a 5000 word essay. However, I will try to provide you with a gist of it:

1) Mistakes are a good thing - they tell you about the things you don't know (well) - so make as many as possible BEFORE the exam so that they don't pop up in the middle of hammer time. Having said this, there is no better place to make mistakes than gmatclub. You have an inbuilt error log and timer which comes with literally every question, an army of helpful experts who will break down concepts to the most rudimentary levels to explain concepts and access to an endless source of practice material from a variety of sources.

2) People before you (and me) have already put in the effort to compile guides and test taking strategies, so make sure you leverage them properly. The members on this forum have tried to assimilate the very essence of test taking through various PDFs and documents available free for all on these forums. You just need to identify where you need help and take out a few hours to hunt down the resources you need.

3) The gmatclub tests - you definitely need to take them if you're serious about your quant. They run you through the whole gamut of concepts and put you in the habit of test taking in general. And the data analysis. Don't even get me started on the wonders of having so much data at your disposal. I was able to identify my weak areas by not broad headings but literally down to chapters. It will be of immense use if you're capable of interpreting the data properly.

4) Debriefs and test day strategies - As a lot of experts on these forums will tell you, test day will generally mess with your score if you don't go prepared. People react in odd ways to new environments, especially under the stress. So these forums will help you get as accustomed to the process as possible before you walk into your test center.

Best of luck for your prep!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stne wrote:
First of all congratulations!
You certainly deserve more than a Kudo.

Now that you have real exam experience , how about hanging around in the forums and helping us.

Also How about having your score validated in GMAT club, you know there is a small question mark against your score at GMAT CLUB, if you click on that it will guide to on how to validate your score I think.
That looks more awesome.

Again congrats on a wonderful journey and a great score. :thumbup:

Thanks!

I plan on helping out as much as I can! I find myself here at least once a day no matter what. (habits die hard I guess? :grin: )

As for score verification, I've always been very particular about sharing personal information (yes, I am that person :roll: ) so I'm still pretty unsure about the score report verification (those things have a lot of critical info!) though I am still considering it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yashita wrote:
Sammy599 - How did you improve your Verbal score from V32 to V41?! That's amazing! Although I am a voracious reader & have a good grasp on Grammar - I feel stuck on Verbal. Any tips?

Hi Yashita,

To be honest, taking V32 as a baseline isn't justified. The problems I faced in the first few CATs were time related and required a strategy tweak to overcome (more on that in my answer a few above this one if you're interested in that). So realistically, at least in terms of knowledge, my jump was from a V36-V37 to a V44. I have written a lot about my verbal section above, so you can refer to that as well. Having said this, let me tell you a fun fact about GMAT verbal: it's doesn't test your English (SC falls in a bit of a grey area), it tests your reasoning VIA English. So if you're a voracious reader, you've got a good grasp on the language but you've still got to work on reasoning and logic.

Most SC questions can be solved by looking for the true meaning of the sentence (sometimes they're ridiculous!). CR is another beast altogether (I absolutely love it), the only part English plays in CR is to convey the information properly and to state the options in a proper manner, beyond that, English has almost no role to play. Finally, with respect to RC, English is once again only a medium for the transfer of information. What matters more is whether you can comprehend that information. Here, you, being a voracious reader, will have an edge in terms of speed and ease of understanding but once again, the trick lies in how you interpret that information before you answer a question. Granted that the GMAT expects a certain level of competency in English but why would it test it? It's management aptitude test after all. So if you're honestly interested in pulling up your score, look at the verbal section form the perspective of an aptitude test. You have a strong base in English so working on the other aspects of the section you can get a great score.

Other than that, use the set-piece methods (they are super easy to find on these forums) to solve the questions you come across in the tests. The exam only throws unconventional questions at you after you have crossed a certain level (you'll know when that happens) so until then work on the basics! A lot of people make the mistake of practicing only the 700+ questions while ignoring the easier ones. There are a lot of concepts that stay exclusively below the 700 level and many which exclusively stay above, so unless you've got your base mastered you'll probably never see all those tricky questions you practiced!

Let me know if you want help on a more specific area.

Best of luck for your prep!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q48 V20
GMAT 2: 520 Q49 V12
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Sammy599

First of all, congrats on your score

Second, I am too struggling with my timing strategy for verbal side and am struggling to complete my mgmats in time (32 out of 37 q) and (31 out of 41) ?

Third, will like to know your analysis strategy of SC questions , I generally tend to revise both right and wrong questions and end up investing quite a lot of time , exhausting myself in process .

Last, haven't started maintaining a error log , though I write concepts that I have missed post analysis in a diary. Would like to know about its importance?

TIA
Best,
Puneet

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37360 posts