GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate si

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate si  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Mar 2019, 01:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:47) correct 26% (00:59) wrong based on 323 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate silverware, everything about the banquet was designed to impress, and it is.

(A) was designed to impress, and it is

(B) is designed to impress, and it has

(C) is designed to impress, and it does

(D) is being designed to impress, and it has

(E) had been designed to impress, and it has

Day 12 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 24 Sep 2014, 10:16.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Mar 2019, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate si  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2014, 07:58
A simple tip to remember is to add the subject after the verb and read the sentence back.

On a side note, I am a noob on this site and I don't yet understand the purpose of not providing the OA for RAGCT questions. Where can I check my answer for such questions? I hope someone clarifies!
TIA.
Manager
Manager
Re: From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate si  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2014, 14:18
Blackbox wrote:

On a side note, I am a noob on this site and I don't yet understand the purpose of not providing the OA for RAGCT questions. Where can I check my answer for such questions? I hope someone clarifies!
TIA.

Hi Blackbox,
below link will be helpful -
race-against-the-gmat-club-timer-starts-9th-sep-181095.html
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 550 Q45 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 06:22
I was left with B and C, finally selected B and got it wrong.
How can we eliminate B here?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 08:56
keyrun wrote:
I was left with B and C, finally selected B and got it wrong.
How can we eliminate B here?

This is a clone of SC # 91 from OG 13. See in-an-effort-to-reduce-their-inventories-italian-vintners-83910.html

Basically this comes down to proper ellipsis, the ability to leave off the verb in the second part of a sentence. For example:

"I have studied for the GMAT and you have [] too." - Here we can leave off the second "studied for the GMAT" because it is already understood.

In this question, B says "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has". The intended meaning of this ellipsis is to omit the verb "impressed", making it "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has [impressed]". Unfortunately, we cannot complete the ellipsis this way because [impressed] doesn't appear elsewhere in the sentence. The only grammatical ellipsis would could create is "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has [designed to impress]", which improperly means that the banquet itself has done the designing.

C creates proper ellipsis because it says "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it does". In this case, the omitted verb is "impress", making it "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it does [impress]".

Alternatively, another way to look at this is through verb tense consistency. B starts in present simple form (meaning in general, or for all times) and then shifts to present perfect (meaning before, and potentially up till, now). It's perfectly fine to shift tenses, but there needs to be a reason to do so - a time modifier such as "until now". We don't have that in B, so we shouldn't change tenses. A, D, and E all have similar issues.

C doesn't have this problem, because C starts in present simple and ends in present simple. No time modifiers necessitate a change, so don't change tenses, especially since it matches the meaning, that the banquet is designed to impress (a general characteristic about the banquet) and it does impress (another general characteristic about the banquet).
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 01:54
Ellipses again.
Complete the phrases to include the skipped portion and check whether the entities have been compared logically including tenses

From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate silverware, everything about the banquet was designed to impress, and it is.

(A) was designed to impress, and it is - impressive. Comparing was..... impress and is..... impressive. Past w/ Present

(B) is designed to impress, and it has - impressed. Comparing is..... impress and has..... impressed. Present w/ Past

(C) is designed to impress, and it does - impress. Comparing is..... impress and does impress. Both Present. Correct!!

(D) is being designed to impress, and it has - impressed. Comparing is being designed to impress and it has impressed. Present Continuous w/ Past.

(E) had been designed to impress, and it has - impressed. Comparing had been..... impress and has..... impressed. Past Perfect w/ Simple Past.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 11:29
Veritas Prep Official Solution:

Your first Decision Point should be the verb tense differences, which allow you to quickly eliminate D and E.
Quote:
D. is being designed to impress, and it has

D incorrectly places the design of this banquet after the fact that it impresses, which is illogical.
Quote:
E. had been designed to impress, and it has

And choice E incorrectly uses the past-perfect “had been designed” without a past- tense event.
Quote:
A. was designed to impress, and it is
B. is designed to impress, and it has

Choices A and B, then, improperly connect the second half of the answer choice with the first.
In A and B, the verbs “is” and “has” would require different forms of the verb “impress” (“is impressing” or “has impressed”),and without those clearly spelled out the placeholder does not work.
Quote:
C. is designed to impress, and it does

“Does” in C is a direct placeholder for “impress”, so that replacement works.

Accordingly, C is correct.
Re: From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate si   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2018, 11:29

From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate si

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics