Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Re: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, [#permalink]
warrior1991 wrote:
generis

Need your help in option B. A lot of contention between B and C.

generis . A Gentle reminder.Kindly help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Re: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, [#permalink]
Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, document, and conserve artifacts when melting ice fails to keep them undetected, shielding them from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe from misappropriation.

A. shielding them from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe

B. shielding them from decay because of changing climatic conditions, and saving them

C. shielded from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe

D. shielded from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and saving them

E. shielded from decay because of changing climatic conditions, and safe

There are two main splits in the question
- due to v/s because of - Due to is more correct as can be checked by caused by so we can come down to A,C and D through this split and then as per parallelism, choose A.

- Shielding vs shielded - if we ignore due to vs because of then we would have B and C as contenders taking parallelism into account.

Now, in B, we have

when melting ice fails to keep them undetected, shielding them from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe from misappropriation. - This sentence as per the modifier meaning would mean that ice fails to keep them undetected. How? By shielding them from decay..... and safe from misappropriation. Now, clearly, this is not how melting ice fails to keep the artifacts undetected. So, there is a meaning error in B.

Now, in C, we have

melting ice fails to keep them undetected, shielded from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe from misappropriation.

Here, the words shielded and safe are in parallel structure with undetected and therefore can use "fails to keep them" along with shielded and Safe. Now, this gives the correct meaning and therefore is more appropriate choice.

other definitive error is of course due to v/s because.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Is the usage of the more frequently correct in this scenario?
Person A :This event never takes place
Person B:this event takes place more frequently / more often than you think.
Can we use comparatives like more frequently / more often to compare something with '0'(event never takes place) .I know that pragmatics generally govern these types of usages but will this type of usage of more frequently/more often correct in this scenario ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, [#permalink]
Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, document, and conserve artifacts when melting ice fails to keep them undetected, shielding them from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe from misappropriation.

B. shielding them from decay because of changing climatic conditions, and saving them

C. shielded from decay due to changing climatic conditions, and safe

generis , souvik101990
My question is: Whether it is possible that V+Ing modifier may modify main clause(IC-"Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, document, and conserve artifacts") instead of modifying near by clause(DC-"when melting ice fails to keep them undetected,")
I am convinced with explanation that option C is correct, I am just clarifying my query regarding possibility of V+ing modifier.
Hope, I have explained my question clearly.
EducationAisle AndrewN Need your help plz.

Originally posted by GAURAV1113 on 11 Oct 2020, 19:33.
Last edited by GAURAV1113 on 17 Oct 2020, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Why they wrote document between 2 commas?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
elchaya wrote:
Why they wrote document between 2 commas?

Posted from my mobile device

There are 3 items in first list:
Find artifacts,
Document artifacts,
Conserve artifacts.
Document here is to record.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
Bunuel - The correct ans is one with because of in E-GMAT. Wrong answer for this solution.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts