Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619201 [10]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619201 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [2]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Lignin is a complex substance that makes plants ri [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
A. Lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody, whereas suberin is the key substance in cork and surrounds plant cells in a thick layer, holding in water during drought.

Nothing gramatically incorrect or out of context, preserves meaning. Keep this choice

Quote:
B. Making plants rigid and woody, while suberin is the key substance in cork, surrounding plant cells in a thick layer and holding in water during drought, lignin is a complex substance.

This sentence is composed of fragments that are not connected in a valid fashion. Discard

Quote:
C. Suberin is the key substance in cork and surrounds plant cells in a thick layer, holding in water during drought, while lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody.

Grammatically correct choice. Keep this

Quote:
D. Whereas suberin is the key substance in cork surrounding plant cells in a thick layer, lLignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody, holding in water during drought.

..in cork surrounding plant cells in a thick layer... conveys ambiguous meaning. Is the author referring to key substance in a thick layer? or cells in a thick layer. Incorrect use of prepositions. Discard

Quote:
E. Holding in water during drought, lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody; whereas suberin is the key substance in cork, surrounding plant cells in a thick layer.

Minor issue: incorrect usage of restrictive pronoun that. Better use which. Also semi-colon is not separating two independent clauses, as the second sentence begins with whereas. Discard

Of out A,C C uses the word while, which does not provide a true contrast. A is thus correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Lignin is a complex substance that makes plants ri [#permalink]
Kudos
Lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody, whereas suberin is the key substance in cork and surrounds plant cells in a thick layer, holding in water during drought.

A. Lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody, whereas suberin is the key substance in cork and surrounds plant cells in a thick layer, holding in water during drought. This one is gonna be a tough gamble between A and C, I am not able to spot any deterministic errors between A and C. But I like the placement of the modifier in this one over option C. ill keep this one.

B. Making plants rigid and woody, while suberin is the key substance in cork, surrounding plant cells in a thick layer and holding in water during drought, lignin is a complex substance. the modifiers seems to have been swapped for the nouns, I don't like this one.

C. Suberin is the key substance in cork and surrounds plant cells in a thick layer, holding in water during drought, while lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody. holding in water during drought placed between the two clauses, confusing as to which one it modifies. so I will chose A over this one.

D. Whereas suberin is the key substance in cork surrounding plant cells in a thick layer, lLignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody, holding in water during drought. holding modifier misplaced and also the first clause doesn't make sense.

E. Holding in water during drought, lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody; whereas suberin is the key substance in cork, surrounding plant cells in a thick layer. Again modifiers swapped and roles of the two subjects seem to be swapped too.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [2]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Kudos
(A) is the answer IMO

A. Lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody, whereas suberin is the key substance in cork and surrounds plant cells in a thick layer, holding in water during drought.

Sentence explains what are Lignin and Suberin and how they are, carrying different functions, relevant for plants.

"Whereas" aptly captures the contrast, explaining the different functions of these two com
ponents.

B. Making plants rigid and woody, while suberin is the key substance in cork, surrounding plant cells in a thick layer and holding in water during drought, lignin is a complex substance.

The noun that the Ving phrase modifies shall follow after comma; However, here Ving modifier and Lignin are too far.
Sentence overall is stylistically flawed - Eliminate

C. Suberin is the key substance in cork and surrounds plant cells in a thick layer, holding in water during drought, while lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody.

While is used to present a element of contrast in simultaneous actions; However, here he element of simultaneity is not needed. A is better than C

D. Whereas suberin is the key substance in cork surrounding plant cells in a thick layer, lLignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody, holding in water during drought.

Meaning is flawed
Cork surrounding plant cells means cork surrounds plant cell - Illogical meaning
Also, Lignin does not help hold in water, but Suberin does. Wrong meaning -Eliminate

E. Holding in water during drought, lignin is a complex substance that makes plants rigid and woody; whereas suberin is the key substance in cork, surrounding plant cells in a thick layer.

Lignin does not help hold in water, but Suberin does. Wrong meaning
Usage of Present participle "surrounding plant cells in a thick layer." is also wrong Suberin is not key element because it surrounds plant cells in a thick layer. -Eliminate
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts