GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 May 2020, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GRE 1: Q155 V155
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Apr 2020, 15:47
GMAT ONLINE - EVERYTHING WE KNOW!
(this post is stickied at the top to provide a quick though not short reference)

GMAT ONLINE DEBRIEFS:

GMAT Whiteboard: How it works, where to practice, touchscreens, etc
GMAT Whiteboard - everything in one place

GMAT ONLINE (UPDATED) WHAT WE KNOW
  • Registrations are now OPEN for the Online GMAT! The GMAT™ Online exam registration is $200 USD.
  • Appointment dates are available beginning April 20, 2020, until June 15, 2020.
  • The GMAT™ Online exam can be taken on both Windows and Mac personal computers and laptops.
  • The sections are as follows:
    31 Quantitative / 62 minutes
    36 Verbal / 65 minutes
    12 IR / 30 minutes
    *Please note that the Section Order for the GMAT ™ Online exam is fixed at this time as Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, Integrated Reasoning
  • You will be allowed one, optional 5-minute break before you begin the Integrated Reasoning section.
  • Unlike the in-person exam at a testing center, the GMAT™ Online exam does not permit the use of a whiteboard during the exam. To assist you with the ability to take notes and/or draw shapes, there is an online whiteboard feature you can access during the exam. To learn more about Whiteboards, or Try one in action, see GMAT Club's Master Whiteboard Discussion
  • Tablets are also forbidden. Devices must have a physical keyboard
  • Touchscreens are a controversial item. Originally GMAC said touchscreens were forbidden. However, later they relaxed the requirements and are permitting use of touchscreens but not using touchscreens for the whiteboard
  • When you complete the exam, you will not receive a score immediately. Scores available in 7 days
  • Scores cannot be canceled
  • You can choose to send your scores to Schools (unlimited number) AFTER seeing the score instead of before taking the test (positive change)
  • Your online GMAT scores will NOT show up in the regular score reports and vice versa - New!
  • You can only take 1 GMAT Online test
  • Full details here: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/gmat-online-experience/about-the-gmat-online
  • You cannot get ESR report to analyze your performance https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-questions/gmat-online-exam#question27

Watch GMAT Club's RECAP of GMAT ONLINE

YOuTube GMAT ONLINE Debriefs

Sample Online Whiteboard

Whiteboards - everything you need to know

Key Links & Timeline:

Related Videos:

Attachment:
RIP GMAT Online.png
RIP GMAT Online.png [ 159.01 KiB | Viewed 27244 times ]
Attachment:
7AF5F532-134D-4620-ACA3-7B5C9AAA1349.png
7AF5F532-134D-4620-ACA3-7B5C9AAA1349.png [ 757.51 KiB | Viewed 37421 times ]

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 23 Mar 2020, 11:37.
Last edited by bb on 28 Apr 2020, 15:47, edited 64 times in total.
Update
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Smeal "22 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 12:17
mykrasovski wrote:
UPDATE: GMAC spokesperson said that the company is working on an "at home", cheaper version of the test that might be available mid-April. The test might not have an AWA section.

https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus

that is incredible news. I mean how can they not? GRE is already taking a huge bite out of their clientele and if they dont act now then more people will start researching about the GRE and they may lose more potential students.

I think that the technology will evolve around this. I mean people rob banks, breach/steal data and identities online but that doesn't mean these features disappear. They are still available for the masses. I think the good outweighs the bad. There are more people with ethics and morals than a few bad actors.
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 12:54
Wow. Sounds interesting.. Specially "cheaper" and "No AWA"...

Why You Don’t Deserve A 700 On Your GMAT

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 14:08
Krishishere wrote:
End of GMAT's credibility.

Posted from my mobile device

All those "security measures" are simply too weak. Think of all the procedures in the test centers to prevent cheating. They are non-existent in home edition.

In s "Home", people can set up a spy camera to capture screens. This alone is fatal blow to the credibility of GRE / TOEFL / GMAT. If students can have access to the current pool of test questions, their scores can improve 30 points, 32 points, or 330 points, respectively, to start with!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 14:16
This was a much faster response than anticipated though it is pretty vague and they bought themselves a month of time... so no GMAT Options for a month!

P.S. I can tell you that GMAC's purpose of existence depends on the GMAT being credible so they will do anything they can to keep it credible and reliable. Moreover, schools are not dummies either. They know people sometimes write their own LOR's and they know that they should take some of those with a grain of salt. They can approach GMAT at home with the same lens - tests taken at home may not sway them much at all but this is life these days.

P.P.S. If you really do think you can easily get an 800 on the GMAT, i suggest you register for the GMAT at home option when it comes out :D

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Mar 2020, 14:33
bb wrote:
This was a much faster response than anticipated though it is pretty vague and they bought themselves a month of time... so no GMAT Options for a month!

P.S. I can tell you that GMAC's purpose of existence depends on the GMAT being credible so they will do anything they can to keep it credible and reliable. Moreover, schools are not dummies either. They know people sometimes write their own LOR's and they know that they should take some of those with a grain of salt. They can approach GMAT at home with the same lens - tests taken at home may not sway them much at all but this is life these days.

P.P.S. If you really do think you can easily get an 800 on the GMAT, i suggest you register for the GMAT at home option when it comes out :D

Give me a dump of official GMAT questions, I can likely get an 800, home or homeless.

Meaning: If one takes home edition honestly, the scores will be comparable. But if one gains advance knowledge (or real time assistance), the home edition score will be much inflated or approaching 800, rendering all GMAT scores meaningless.

Do not underestimate the ingenuity of unscrupulous test takers and test prep companies. Certainly, they should not all obtain 800, as that will startle GMAC. Instead, they should maintain somewhat plausible curve. Now, who should be assigned 800 beforehand? That would be fun to watch.

Originally posted by zhanbo on 23 Mar 2020, 14:20.
Last edited by zhanbo on 23 Mar 2020, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 14:32
zhanbo wrote:

Give me a dump of official GMAT questions, I can likely get an 800, home or homeless.

Maybe you also want the answers? :lol:

GMAC has experience with compromised questions and how to identify test takers that have cheated. Their systems have been hacked before about 20 years ago or so. They also had people in 2005 still questions from the test centers in different ways. They’ve been able to retroactively identify the individuals once they figured out the pattern.

If I were them I would not bust the test takers right away, I would actually wait for them to submit their scores to business schools and then ban them for 3 years or smth like that.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 14:36
bb wrote:
zhanbo wrote:

Maybe you also want the answers? :lol:

GMAC has experience with compromised questions and how to identify test takers that have cheated. Their systems have been hacked before about 20 years ago or so. They also had people in 2005 still questions from the test centers in different ways. They’ve been able to retroactively identify the individuals once they figured out the pattern.

If I were them I would not bust the test takers right away, I would actually wait for them to submit their scores to business schools and then ban them for 3 years or smth like that.

Answers are optional as those cannot be captured from the screen.

Between you and me, with unlimited answer time, I hope we can figure out the answers by ourselves. :-D

I do enjoy solving GMAT and GRE questions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 17:48
And here's the vague release from GMAC about the GMAT home edition, available in mid-April: https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus.

Interesting that they're calling it the "Interim GMAT". Presumably, it won't last long, so cheaters need to hop in there quickly. :roll:

Quote:
Updated March 23, 2020

The health and safety of candidates and our staff are of the utmost importance to GMAC, and we are actively working with testing centers to respond to this very difficult situation. As a part of the global effort to contain the spread and mitigate impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus), GMAT™ and Executive Assessment testing has been suspended in many locations worldwide. For testing centers that remain open, enhanced health and safety measures are in place including enhanced cleaning procedures, hand sanitizer and wipes provided for candidates.

As the situation develops, below you will find the most up-to-date information on testing center closures, enhanced testing center procedures, and health and safety guidance.

Please contact your GMAC Customer Care team if you have any questions or concerns.

Interim GMAT™ Exam - Available Online Mid-April
We all recognize this is a challenging time for testing with test center closures around the world. To help you, we are preparing an alternative GMAT™ exam available online.

This interim GMAT exam will provide a comparable structure, number of items, and scoring as delivered in test centers. The Quant, Verbal and IR sections (no AWA section) will have the same number of items and the same time for completion. This will allow us to maintain the same score scale for both the Section Scores and Total Score.

The check-in and security protocols will be modified to accommodate online delivery and remote proctors will be used to manage test integrity.

The alternative test will be available in impacted markets, outside of mainland China. GMAC is continuing to work with the Chinese government authorities to present appropriate, alternative solutions for test takers in mainland China.

In light of the current unprecedented situation, this interim solution will be offered at a lower price point than the standard GMAT exam to support our test takers and schools during this difficult time.

Additional details coming soon.

Test Center Closures and Special Procedures
Testing is suspended in many testing centers worldwide. Please visit mba.com/find-a-seat to check the availability of the testing center near you.

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 18:06
I wish the requirements of the "at home" version of the exams allowed to keep an espresso machine in the test room :lol: :inlove:
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Booth '22
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 18:25
Interim Exam won't have AWA section. So Ad-coms will see that AWA has no score and exam was taken at home. Don't know how will this information help/hurt the candidacy.
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 19:08
Test at the test center creates "anxiety" that I guess "Home edition" would lack.
Feeling home, giving the test without having to see others besides you, the unexpected events such as invigilator didn't see you raise a hand in time during your break-time, your marker not working etc. wouldn't be present in the home-edition of the test. No AWA's!!! That's huge even if its just half an hr.

Might inflate the test scores a bit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 19:15
bhaskar123 wrote:
Interim Exam won't have AWA section. So Ad-coms will see that AWA has no score and exam was taken at home. Don't know how will this information help/hurt the candidacy.

I guess AWA section can be easily added in the near future. GMAC is rushed to introduce "Home Edition" to compete with GRE. Sadly, both programs' reputations will take a hit. Whether the damage is irrecoverable is anyone's guess.

No doubt they must have some reservations about test (and test question) security. But in the pursuit for larger market share and test takers' money, they make bad, dumb, near-sighted decisions. So much for critical reasoning they claim to measure. Theirs is pretty pathetic.
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 19:41
shameekv1989 wrote:
Test at the test center creates "anxiety" that I guess "Home edition" would lack.
Feeling home, giving the test without having to see others besides you, the unexpected events such as invigilator didn't see you raise a hand in time during your break-time, your marker not working etc. wouldn't be present in the home-edition of the test. No AWA's!!! That's huge even if its just half an hr.

Might inflate the test scores a bit.

I just realized this after reading your Post... I guess it will be a huge advantage... Specially if I recollect my first attempt when Time anxiety got better of me

shameekv1989

Looks like I should prepare myself to take second attempt in April once they make "Test From Home" available..

Why You Don’t Deserve A 700 On Your GMAT

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.49
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 20:08
What are the chances that AdComs don't put much weight into these scores? A huge part of the test is def. the increased lvls of anxiety, not to mention all the crazy ways you can cheat. Also, it's weird that it's cheaper AND doesn't include AWA. None of this really makes too much sense to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 20:23
UPDATE: I could not let it go and installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro via bootcamp facility and successfully passed both ETS and UProctor system tests. So, I guess the support person from ETS did not really understand what I was asking about this morning :)

Anyway, I will have both MacBook and Dell laptop (as a backup) with me when I take a test in April.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 20:25
mykrasovski wrote:
UPDATE: I could not let it go and installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro via bootcamp facility and successfully passed both ETS and UProctor system tests. So, I guess the support person from ETS did not really understand what I was asking about this morning :)

Anyway, I will have both MacBook and Dell laptop (as a backup) with me when I take a test in April.

Good luck! Do let us know how you fare in the Home Edition!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 20:43
Thank you zhanbo! Will keep the community posted.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 20:46
Awesome!!! Great!!! Definitely interested in the experience and of course your score!

mykrasovski wrote:

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 20:50
GMAC is going to follow ETS ...home based GMAT as an interim GMAT ( for COVID-19 effects ) without AWA section from mid april . Even hints given the fees won't be 250$. More announcement is coming ....Eagerly waiting .

https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus

Official Mocks 1 : 710
Official Mocks 2 : 670
Official Mocks 3 : 590
Official Mocks 5 : 710
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2020, 20:50

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57    Next  [ 1128 posts ] 

GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep