Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Re: GMAT: Round 2 [#permalink]
StartupAddict wrote:
Haha. Thanks Chineseburned.

You can easily achieve 780+. What are you scoring in Q/V? Depending on what your weak area is, work on that. The most important thing I'd say is mental endurance, that is, being able to stay alert and focused after having the impossible questions fired at you in rapid succession.

PowerPrep has a very limited database, GMATPrep is much bigger and broader, and I would recommend working mainly with GMATPrep. The forums here are good practise too, but be very careful with the SC's that are posted here-- people don't tell you the source, and a lot of the time they're from Kaplan/McGrawHill/etc, which are useless and teach you incorrect concepts. The CR's too, they come from LSAT's or other sources, which again don't teach you the real GMAT CRs. Math, those are always good practise no matter what.

Do you have any time during the week? I'd say do GMATPrep 2x a week, and the Paper Tests once in a while. If you ever get a question wrong, study it. Why did you get it wrong? What was the underlying concept? Questions you get wrong are actually a gift-- they provide you with hints as to what areas you're weak at. Like me, I'm not perfect, I still don't get that damn So X as to Y / So X that Y concept, so I'm studying that right now. The main point is to learn the fundamentals and become a speed freak / stamina demon. If you see a question with a concept you're good at, say in SC using who/whom, then you can answer that question in 20-30 seconds, banking you valuable time that you can utilize for later and much harder questions.

Again there are no tricks. You have to learn everything and focus on mental endurance. One thing I like to do for mental endurance is to do the Paper Tests way under time and going with your "gut" instinct. If you can develop this "gut" instinct, you're set. Remember, the less you really think about a question, the more mental energy you save for the really challenging questions.

Hope that helped...

Thanks.
I can do 1 hr a day Mon-Fri and 6-7hrs a day Sat-Sun. A total of 18-20 hrs a week at best. The plan is to take the test some time in April.
I got Q49 V41 in my first attempt. I was scoring in the 50-51 range for Q in practice but on test day I got hung up on some very hard questions spending like 5 min on each. I ended up with 1 minute left and 7 questions to go and I just took random quesses without even reading the questions. I suspect at question 30 I was at Q51+ level but then came crushing down with those blind guesses. I heard if you get a lot of successive questions wrong the penalty is big, even if at the end of the section. Not sure how accurate this is.
I studied by the OG, Kaplan and PR books and only took 2 GMATPrep tests, not knowing about the large bank of questions. Never knew about the older PowerPrep software or the 1000 SC document. Now I guess I can focus on those, plus some MGMAT CATs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
kevincan wrote:

51Q 48V got me a 780, but it seems to be on the border between 780 and 790. How much repetition have you found in the GMATPrep questions? I have found 450 GMATPrep quant questions of at least medium difficulty.

There are lots of LSAT RC and CR questions that are good practice, though it's best to avoid legal texts and CR questions that rely heavily on formal logic. In each LSAT test, there are 2-3 texts that are similar to what you may find on the GMAT, as well as 30-35 of the 51 CR questions. Do LSAT questions only when you have exhausted your supply of official GMAT questions. The extra practice may be good for people who learned English as a second language, as long as they treat it as just practice and do not get demoralized

Dude, you are a legend!!!!

So, your strategy on the V was to take LSAT tests? How many times did you retake the GMATPrep tests?

Some people recommend taking teh GMAT paper tests but I don't know. To me they are similar to the questions in the OG book, meaning medium level at best on the Math.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
So hwo exactly does this GMATPrep work? Its not just two tests?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
you can reinstall it and get new questions

you will see repeats but you will get in my opinion 75% new questions after like 4 tries with it.

there are threads on here how to do it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Well, there are hundreds of hard questions, along with thousands of easier questions. Whenever I tutor someone and we go over incorrect answers, I see 99% new questions (from easier difficulties).

Good point kevin about the LSAT. That's what I meant, ignoring the ones that rely just on formal logic; the GMAT doesn't test strict formal logic.

Well, I don't know. 33/47 only got you 37? I tutored some guy today and he got 19/37 right and got a 37...

My HD on my notebook is f*cked, argh. I have to fix this POS.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
StartupAddict,

How much value in those GMAT paper tests? You said yourself that the Q is very easy there.
Wouldn't it be better to re-take GMPs?

Besides the .log files what other files to do you delete to reset the software?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
.xact & .log files

Yeah the paper tests have very easy math questions. GMATPrep is way harder.

The Verbal is good practise from the Paper Ones. overall they're good value because you do 100+ questions in 150 minutes vs 78 for GMATPrep. Try and do it even under time if you can.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
StartupAddict wrote:
.xact & .log files

Yeah the paper tests have very easy math questions. GMATPrep is way harder.

The Verbal is good practise from the Paper Ones. overall they're good value because you do 100+ questions in 150 minutes vs 78 for GMATPrep. Try and do it even under time if you can.

Hi Addict,

You can definitely motivate person like me on Gmat, Thank you. But can you guide me more in detail? (sorry, I digged all program files in my computer, still not find the .log file and .xact file)

Many thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Delete the .xact/.log files from the exams directory to reset GMATPrep.

Paper #55, wow, maybe I was tired, but this one seemed hard:

Perfect on math, the paper math is a joke.

Did math in a row, 15 minute each section, 45 mins.

Then Verbal

CR: 16/16 - 15 minutes
RC: 17/18 - 19 minutes
SC: 20/22 - 19 minutes

The RC that I answered incorrectly was one that I genuinely had no idea how to answer, and the 2 SC's, one used a double would (oops! reintroducing the subjunctive mood), and the other one is just f*cked up (Tekmites... i have to read up on it).

So my verbal scaled to 48V, 51Q, overall 800.

So see, 51/48 used to give you 800! :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Why do you have to delete those files? When I reworked it, I didn't have to do that. When I exited the exam, I remember it asking me if I wanted to leave the exam "unfinished", or something like that. I think I said no, and it said "complete" when I restarted the program. I was able to restart the test as if I had never taken it. I am writing this based on memory because I do not have it installed on this computer...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yeah, I don't understand how deleting those files decreases the chance of getting repeats the next time you take the test. It's not like the software is programmed to try to give you as many repeats as possible, is it?

StartupAddict,
Where can I find the paper GMATs? Never seen those.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
chineseburned wrote:
Yeah, I don't understand how deleting those files decreases the chance of getting repeats the next time you take the test. It's not like the software is programmed to try to give you as many repeats as possible, is it?

StartupAddict,
Where can I find the paper GMATs? Never seen those.

I believe he is referring to the paper tests that you can buy at mba.com. They cost $25 for a set of 3 retired tests.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
StartupAddict wrote:
.xact & .log files

So no re-installation is required?

I have my GMAT on next Friday; I plan on taking 2 GMATPreps between now and then.
I just wish they provided explanations for wrong answers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
No need to reinstall, just delete the .log and .xact files.

So I got absolutely wasted last night, a task contrary to productive study habits, and as such my cognitive abilities are a tad diminished today. Needless to say, I'm taking it easy with regards to GMAT Prep tonight.

On a side note, I did hit a new hang power clean PR, 145kg :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
StartupAddict wrote:
On a side note, I did hit a new hang power clean PR, 145kg :-)

What is that?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
StartupAddict wrote:
No need to reinstall, just delete the .log and .xact files.

Can you tell me the path to these files? I did a search for *.log and *.xact in the GMATprep directory in program files but couldn't find them.
I hope this isn't happening because I have Vista.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Check inside of the exams folder.

A hang power clean is a partial Olympic Weightlifting move where you accelerate or "throw" the bar from the thighs to your shoulders. I do this for power generation for the hammer.

I'm off to tutor someone else... in Toronto right now.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderator:
Founder
37314 posts