Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [13]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink]
KevinRocci wrote:
As far as I can tell this sentence is not correct and does not follow the rules that I pointed out in the video. Where did this sentence come from? If this is not from a reputable source, like GMAT Prep or the Official Guide to the GMAT, then this might be a flawed question. This mistake would not occur on the GMAT.

Hi Kevin, this is from OG13. However, can you please also check it at your end. Perhaps I am missing something.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saumya12 wrote:
Hi Kevin, this is from OG13. However, can you please also check it at your end. Perhaps I am missing something.

Hi Saumya,

So I was able to locate this sentence in OG13 question 109. The OG does confirm that answer choice A is correct, which I found perplexing at first, but after speaking with my colleague, I can see why it is actually and acceptable answer.

The only time that you can have a possessive noun as an antecedent is when the pronoun is possessive. In this sentence, it is acceptable to use "her" but would be unacceptable to use "she."

This is something I did not mention in the video and I am glad that you asked this question so that it is clear. :)

Happy Studying!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for clarifying this Kevin. I always find your posts and videos to be very helpful.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Happy to help! Let me know if you want me to cover a specific topic in an upcoming video. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello Kevin, I always have problems in comparison (especially those involving ellipsis). It would be excellent if you could cover that in one of your videos.

If you already have a video on that, please point me to that. Really appreciate.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
saumya12 wrote:
Hello Kevin, I always have problems in comparison (especially those involving ellipsis). It would be excellent if you could cover that in one of your videos.

If you already have a video on that, please point me to that. Really appreciate.

I have not recorded a video on this topic. I won't be filming new videos for a little while, but when I do, I will definitely do one on comparisons involving ellipsis. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Tuck '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
KevinRocci wrote:
saumya12 wrote:

Hi Saumya,

So I was able to locate this sentence in OG13 question 109. The OG does confirm that answer choice A is correct, which I found perplexing at first, but after speaking with my colleague, I can see why it is actually and acceptable answer.

The only time that you can have a possessive noun as an antecedent is when the pronoun is possessive. In this sentence, it is acceptable to use "her" but would be unacceptable to use "she."

This is something I did not mention in the video and I am glad that you asked this question so that it is clear. :)

Happy Studying!

Hi Kevin, I am bit confused here. Considering that "her" would be acceptable at question 109 aforementioned, why "his" is not acceptable in the first question used in the video?

Tks

Paulo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
KevinRocci wrote:
saumya12 wrote:

Hi Saumya,

Happy Studying!

Hi Kevin - a question for you on this topic! When using her, "her" can be both a regular and possessive pronoun, correct? This is different to him/his, where the difference in more obvious. In cases with her, we just need to be clear on whether "her" is functioning as a regular or possessive pronoun, correct?

- Madeline's books are very well reviewed, and many critics consider her works to be future classics.
- The writing style employed by Madeline is exemplary, and many critics consider her to be one of the greatest writers of our time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
KevinRocci wrote:
saumya12 wrote:

Hi Saumya,

Happy Studying!

The coloured statement contradicts with what is explained in the video. If 'her' is acceptable then I am finding it difficult to understand why 'his' and 'him' in the example given in video are not acceptable.

However, it seems that GMAT has relaxed the rules where possessive antecedents are concerned. I found below example in OG 17-805 https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she-was-considered-among-her-contemporaries-to-be-the-better-208881.html

The correct answer is - Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.

It can be noted that 'she' is referring back to Elizabeth Barret Browning, which is not present in the sentence. Only possessive antecedent is present. But the usage is acceptable.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts