Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:55 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q39 V41
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Got a 600 on actual test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi ChipTFM,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more that you can make your CATs 'match up' with what you'll face on Test Day, the better you can train to face Test Day (and maximize your performance). The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become. Since you never took a practice CAT at 8am, we really had no idea how you would perform when building your whole day around that start time. There are likely other factors that deviated as well, but you really have to think about those details, so that you can properly incorporate them each time you take a CAT.

With a Q40, you had some 'concept-based' mistakes (meaning you didn't know the 'math rules' well enough to properly use them); you would have also make some little mistakes throughout the section and you missed out on lots of 'strategy-based' points. With a V33, you likely had one 'weaker category' in the Verbal section - the ESR should point out which one.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Understood. I will ensure I take the tests in a more controlled environment and ensure my day and time stays consistent. Perhaps taking a practice test a week before the actual test might have also not been a good idea. Going forward I will try keep my test attempt time frames consistent. I will shoot for Monday 8am attempts for consistency.

I never really studied for IR so I will dedicate some time to learn some strategies to boost my IR 2 to around 5-6

Here are the results from my ESR as well as the Manhattan GMAT just so I am comparing scores in the 600 range:

Verbal: RC was 51st percentile (ESR) and an accuracy of 50% (MGMAT). CR was 78th percentile (ESR) and an accuracy of 43% (MGMAT). SC correction was 66th percentile (ESR) with an accuracy of 67% (MGMAT).

Quant: My problem area looks like Algebra and Geometry being 30th percentile (ESR) and an accuracy of 63% and 43% respectively (MGMAT). The ESR shows my arithmetic percentile as 66th but my MGMAT results show a 57% accuracy for fractions/percentiles as well as 67% accuracy for number properties as well as word problems. The arithmatic questions I missed in these sections of the MGMAT were combinations, percents, ratios and overlapping sets. Additionally, the ESR points out that my PS laggs my DS percentile 32nd compared to 55th.

In Summary. I will be focusing on these topics in order: RC, CR, Geometry, Algebra, Ratios, Percentages and tables for word problems/overlapping sets. I will fit IR prep and practice questions in throughout the week.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ChipTFM,

ESRs don't provide that much information, but I'd need to see the FULL ESR before I could offer any advice based on it. If you're comfortable posting your ESR here, then that would be helpful; if not, then you can feel free to PM me a PDF of the report.

Many Business Schools have publicly stated that they do NOT use an applicant's IR score when assessing applications, so you likely have nothing to worry about in that regard (and you should not be spending too much time to hone those specific skills).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC

I sent you the actual ESR via PM.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ChipTFM,

I've send you a PM with some notes on your ESR.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13401 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ChipTFM wrote:
Greetings all,

This is an update to my prior practice test post about my journey from 540 to 640.

So..I took the actual GMAT today and thought everything was sailing smoothly. I ended up canceling my score because I got a 600 unfortunately. I was hoping for it to be more in the region of my last Manhattan GMAT test so I need to refocus my studies and attempt the test again in a few months.

02/18/16 GMAT 600 Q40 V33 IR2

Need to look at at my practice GMAT errors and work on a new approach.

You score is clearly telling that you have a Major requirement to work on your Quant section and improve your score by atleast 5 points. This is the easiest way to improve your score by 40 marks. This being the easiest thing I would propose that you revise your fundamentals and check the kind of mistakes that you make. The mistakes may be silly error or Conceptual error, Silly errors need a lot of introspection and self control with improved focus to avoid them however the Conceptual Errors require you to take some expert guidance as you may not be able to improve over them after having done self study once and still not being able to improve over them.

The second majoy aspect to improve score is Verbal. Where a score of 33 in Verbal is not too bad (your percentile will speak of it vis-a-vis Quant percentile) it can be improved to even 36-37 by a little hardwork of about a month.

The improvement in Quant happens at much faster rate than the improvement in Verbal so take steps cautiously. Spending too much time in unfruitful analysis son't get you much. $0 in quant speaks of weakness of all types in Quant and score in 33 needs a very focussed approach to improve it.

I hope you find it straight and helpful. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts