Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619229 [9]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619229 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [3]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [2]
Send PM
Graphologists claim that it is possible to detect permanent character [#permalink]
Kudos
Harshgmat wrote:
Can someone explain in detail the OA?

Posted from my mobile device

Harshgmat say someone tells you - " by your handwriting I can determine you character" :)

And your reaction is like this " what ? :shocked, Are you serious? are you gmat student or what? its total nonsence i dont beleive you :lol: " .

That person says: "why man ? :-) proove it :)"

So your asnwer: " you know what i know a person who changed his handwriting through practice and perseverance and included this feature i.e. a strong cross on the “t” which is supposed to denote enthusiasm :)

that means an individual persistent and patient, yet not enthusiastic, can put a strong cross on the “t"

hence, incontestable evidence that leads to absurd consequences when conjoined with the view in question ! :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Graphologists claim that it is possible to detect permanent character [#permalink]
Kudos
Pre-thinking:

The graphologists make a claim. The author of the passage opposes the claim by citing a line of reasoning which leads to a contradictory conclusion (So it seems that graphologists must hold that permanent character traits can be changed).

Let us examine the answer options:

(A) citing apparently incontestable evidence that leads to absurd consequences when conjoined with the view in question Correct. The author's reasoning leads to what appears to be a paradox, which can be considered an "absurd consequence".

(B) demonstrating that an apparently controversial and interesting claim is really just a platitude Incorrect. For this option to hold, the author must argue that the claim being made has been made repeatedly and, hence, is uninteresting. The author does not claim that that the argument is uninteresting, nor that it has been made many times.

(C) arguing that a particular technique of analysis can never be effective when the people analyzed know that it is being used This requires some consideration. In the author's reasoning, are the people changing their handwriting "with practice and perseverance" because they know that their handwriting is being analyzed? We cannot be sure. Also, the use of the word "never" is a problem because the author is not making any generalized statement but only talking about the particular case of handwriting being used to determine permanent character traits. On the whole, this option has a few problems. Incorrect.

(D) showing that proponents of the view have no theoretical justification for the view Incorrect. The author does not question the theoretical concepts underlying the graphologists claim in this passage.

(E) attacking a technique by arguing that what the technique is supposed to detect can be detected quite readily without it Incorrect. The author is questioning the validity and effectiveness of the technique itself and not doubting its usefulness due to other techniques being available.

Hope this helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Send PM
Re: Graphologists claim that it is possible to detect permanent character [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Graphologists claim that it is possible to detect permanent character traits by examining people’s handwriting. For example, a strong cross on the “t” is supposed to denote enthusiasm. Obviously, however, with practice and perseverance people can alter their handwriting to include this feature. So it seems that graphologists must hold that permanent character traits can be changed.

The argument against graphology proceeds by

(A) citing apparently incontestable evidence that leads to absurd consequences when conjoined with the view in question

(B) demonstrating that an apparently controversial and interesting claim is really just a platitude

(C) arguing that a particular technique of analysis can never be effective when the people analyzed know that it is being used

(D) showing that proponents of the view have no theoretical justification for the view

(E) attacking a technique by arguing that what the technique is supposed to detect can be detected quite readily without it

If graphologists claim that it is possible to detect permanent character traits by examining people’s handwriting, and on the other hand with practice and perseverance people can alter their handwriting to include this feature. these two things contradict each other and look like absurd :lol:

Hence this makes me believe that correct answer choice is A
:-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Can someone explain in detail the OA?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Thanks dave13.

Why choice c) is wrong?

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts