Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [10]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [3]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Send PM
Re: GRE "at home" debrief while waiting for the GMAT "at home" edition [#permalink]
Kudos
bb, I compare it based on how difficult the questions are, how widespread the content covered is, and how much time per question people have. This is all through my students' eyes. Also, I have a friend who taught GMAT successfully for many years and had 750+ scores on the test, who couldn't break through the 90th percentile in quant in GRE on his first two attempts. If GRE was such a cake walk, you'd think he'd scoot right through it -- right? Put differently, I judge difficulty based on how difficult it is! I don't know how else to phrase that.

mykrasovski thanks for clarifying. I guess it's fair to say that the tests are similar in difficulty level. My main point though is that the GRE isn't easier than GMAT, and many people might actually find it more difficult, if only due to the insane vocabulary it requires. I love how when they revamped the GRE a few years ago they had the chutzpah to say that they were downplaying the importance of vocabulary!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [2]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: GRE "at home" debrief while waiting for the GMAT "at home" edition [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
Thank you so much for posting and sharing! Is that a good score? I am no good with GRE :lol:

But regardless of the score this is super awesome!!! Thank you for the debrief.

PS. I assume you saw LBS and a few others have completely gone away from requiring any test score (not even after admission).

Posted from my mobile device

Overall it is a good score. Of course, it also depends where you want to use it or for which purpose.

here we do have ALL the GRE scores at the BS across five continents.

The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed.

here a screen

Attachment:
shot44.jpg
shot44.jpg [ 360.04 KiB | Viewed 10814 times ]
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
Thanks for sharing! Interesting. I was/am also one of the people who believed GRE was easier.... but I don’t know the GRE and only base it on anecdotal reference and seeing what I saw simpler practice math questions.

PS. How do you compare the difficulty of the two tests by the way? Percentiles? Score required for admission? Competitiveness? Just curious....

Lorettagrace wrote:
I don't know where the belief got started that GRE is easier than GMAT. It's harder in nearly every way. The vocabulary is very challenging. Yes, you are allowed a calculator, but the math covers more advanced topics and gives you less time per question. You don't have Data Sufficiency, but you do have questions that you have to type in your own answer, and "all-that-applies" questions with no partial credit. You also have less time per question in quant despite the questions being at least comparable in difficulty. If anyone out there is prepping for the GRE thinking you're getting away with something, you're not. It's a harder test. The only reason to take the GRE rather than the GMAT is if you are thinking of applying to programs that don't accept the GMAT and need a multi-purpose test. I keep telling my students who want to take the GRE rather than the GMAT that the GRE is harder. They argue and fight and then after two months tell me they wish they'd listened to me from the start. It's such a bummer.

That said, the at-home set up for GRE sounds better than the at-home setup for GMAT right now. I don't know how people can possibly take the GMAT without a break and without scrap paper.

I do not know why the myth GRE is easier is still hard to die.

This test NOT only is very difficult BUT ALSO the verbal part is an overkill. if you pick a double blank 4/5 level or an RC long, they are wayyyyy more difficult than the verbal material on the GMAT side.

Moreover, the GRE is a verbal test not quant. and here is the catch: we communicate and evolve as a species via words, not math symbols. You can buy the trick on quant but NOT on verbal.

Humble and honest opinion.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
hi elPatron434, you may also notice that the ETS converter has a disclaimer that says that conversion is accurate within "+-50 points on the GMAT". So, if you use the basics of statistics you will derive that your GRE score could equal to anything that falls from 640 to 740 on the GMAT.

You may want to browse the websites of your target schools and check what statistics they report regarding the GRE. carcass provided a great overview of what "average" scores in prestigious MBA programs look like these days. Also, you may check the decision tracker here on the gmatclub as well as admissions statistics on clearadmit, a useful website for MBA aspirants.

Again, my subjective view is that you should focus on other aspects of your application, because you have a great GRE score!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey bb, I hope the post will benefit the community.

My score equals 310 Q155 (56 percentile) V155 (68 percentile), which is alright. The score is higher than the average for all 1.6M test takers, but lower than average scores in top-10 US MBA programs that usually have average scores that fall in the range between 325 and 330.

ETS offers a GRE to GMAT conversion tool which is accurate within +-50 points on the GMAT. According to the tool, Q155 and V155 equal Q36 and V32 on the GMAT, respectively. Clearly, my Quant score is incredibly low (my highest official GMAT Quant score is Q47, highest in official prep tests is Q49) while Verbal is on par with my official GMAT scores (I did get Q37-Q39 in official practice tests, though).

I did hear that some of the schools accept applications without GMAT/GRE scores in R3 or extended R3, but I have not seriously considered applying. However, in light of the pandemic situation which will most probably affect international applicants, I wonder whether there is sense in applying to schools for this fall's intake. I observe that a decent proportion of admits consider deferrals. However, schools might start replacing deferred students by promoting waitlisted candidates. At the same time I realize that R1, R2, and R3 in next application cycle will likely be very competitive because of upcoming recession, which seems to be inevitable.

I have not investigated which schools have extended R3 deadlines and waived test score requirements, but perhaps it is worth to do a quick research.

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 11 Apr 2020, 18:38.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 11 Apr 2020, 20:41, edited 3 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You can see a summary and a list of all schools that have modified their admissions processes:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/covid-19-out ... 19924.html

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing! Interesting. I was/am also one of the people who believed GRE was easier.... but I don’t know the GRE and only base it on anecdotal reference and seeing what I saw simpler practice math questions.

PS. How do you compare the difficulty of the two tests by the way? Percentiles? Score required for admission? Competitiveness? Just curious....

Lorettagrace wrote:
I don't know where the belief got started that GRE is easier than GMAT. It's harder in nearly every way. The vocabulary is very challenging. Yes, you are allowed a calculator, but the math covers more advanced topics and gives you less time per question. You don't have Data Sufficiency, but you do have questions that you have to type in your own answer, and "all-that-applies" questions with no partial credit. You also have less time per question in quant despite the questions being at least comparable in difficulty. If anyone out there is prepping for the GRE thinking you're getting away with something, you're not. It's a harder test. The only reason to take the GRE rather than the GMAT is if you are thinking of applying to programs that don't accept the GMAT and need a multi-purpose test. I keep telling my students who want to take the GRE rather than the GMAT that the GRE is harder. They argue and fight and then after two months tell me they wish they'd listened to me from the start. It's such a bummer.

That said, the at-home set up for GRE sounds better than the at-home setup for GMAT right now. I don't know how people can possibly take the GMAT without a break and without scrap paper.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hm... I thought quite a few have been publishing and reporting their average GRE. I haven’t done much research frankly but there is that post by Carcass...

A few years ago, if you wanted to get in based on your work experience and your professional accomplishments, you would take the GRE because schools did not report and they didn’t care about their average so it was always easier to get in with the GRE score. This may no longer be accurate since they have started reporting it to rankings organizations.

elPatron434 wrote:
Thank you mykrasovski,
I was under a similar impression too. But I then came across the GRE to GMAT converter on the ETS website which translates my score to 690 on the GMAT which I feel isn't on the same pedestal as my GRE score. I am confused as to what scores would the B Schools be taking into account (325 vs 690) while evaluating somebody's candidature, considering most of them don't publish statistics on the GRE.

bb, carcass would love your thoughts on this.

Thank You!

BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [1]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello bb,

I think the post in GRE Prep Club by carcass is brilliant. I believe all the chapters listed out are extremely pertinent and upon completion would be of great help to applicants who wish to take the GRE route for the bschool admissions in the current/upcoming admissions cycle.

Thank You

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
These are our conclusion backed up from a granular observation of the data on the FIELD

As you can see from the pie above we do have a clear picture of the 60 (sixty) BSs that accept AND disclose the GRE score for a Full-Time MBA program. Notice the relevant considerations

• The BS that NOT disclose the test but accept it are the majority
  • Basically, the average score for both the sections of the test is 160, which is also consistent with the following point
  • INSEAD and HEC Paris BS play safe going for the percentile - 85% and 65% respectively - of the test. In the section of this guide: What does the GRE score mean we will address very well on why the chose percentile over a numbered score
  • Notice also that 36 BS DO NOT Accept the GRE. See where the value is ZERO. However, this statistic should not be taken with concern from the students. In large part, the BSs that do not accept the score are at the periphery of the big MBA circle, which is basically in the three main areas of the globe: US, Canada, and Europe.
  • What is really astonishing is that among 60 BSs in fice continents ONLY on School - Wharton - give indication clearly of the AWA score. This could be an interesting argument on which making a reflection

refer to these for your conclusions.

In a nutshell, if YOU achieve a score of Quant 160/161 and Verbal 160, this split is more than enough even for Harvard.

here, once again , you can find ALL the BSs of the world

https://greprepclub.com/forum/the-gre-a ... tml#p42871

Hope this helps

Regards
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
NYU Stern explicitly does not express the score they want. See my post above

They say the following - I assume NYU is NYStern (or do you mean another BS ?)

"We do not publish average GRE scores due to the short time we have been accepting the test. Please note we do not have a minimum GRE score needed to apply."

We cannot make the assumption they convert the GRE score into GMAT score. We can only assume that a competitive score is Q160/V160

They accept the GRE score as it is: competitive or not.

Your score is competitive. The rest of your application is important as well. The test score accounts for roughly 20/25% of the entire application portfolio. Period.

Your score is perfectly on the world's average: Verbal 160
Your quant score is above: 165

AWA I do not know.

However, my humble advice is to STOp to make such calculation and to move on onto a badass, groundbreaking application.

regards
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you so much for posting and sharing! Is that a good score? I am no good with GRE :lol:

PS. I assume you saw LBS and a few others have completely gone away from requiring any test score (not even after admission).

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mykrasovkski,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. If you need any advice regarding your GMAT prep, feel free to reach out. Good luck with things moving forward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
bb wrote:

Hey bb,

Heres a link for all the average GRE score at top universities. https://poetsandquants.com/2020/03/23/a ... rograms/4/

As you will see the GRE score averages tend to be on the lower side. Its not as easy to score high on GRE as people think.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Send PM
carcass thank you for your compliment. Indeed, 310 is a decent score, but I was hoping for 320 or so because, when taking into account my performance on the GMAT and some GRE practice tests, I can clearly do much better in quant.

I might re-take the GRE in the coming weeks/months since the online GMAT is a preposterous with its online scratchpad...

Be safe!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Send PM
Lorettagrace thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like you are a tutor who is new to gmatclub?

I agree with everything you mentioned, with one little exception.

I have prepared for the GMAT for a while and can attest that a big majority of quant questions are challenging and not straightforward. One can only go so far using formulas and memorization. Quant questions in the GMAT are often based on concepts which one needs to master to excel and solve a question in 2 - 2.5 minutes. The GRE quant questions, however, are not so difficult, at least in the official prep materials. I have started solving the GRE questions from the ETS Official Guide few weeks ago and was surprised that only hard questions occasionally gave me hard time. This was not the case with the GMAT quant questions, at least for me.

Perhaps, I have mastered majority of topics and do not feel surprised anymore whenever I see a new question, but I cannot explain a massive drop in my Quant score on the "at home" GRE. This is despite the fact that I have scored Q167 on the free practice test. Even when I got a lower quant score on the free practice tests, my mistakes were careless (e.g. 12*2 = 48) and not because I was challenged by most of the questions.

Frankly, many questions in the real GRE felt "GMAT like", meaning that questions were not as straightforward as they were in the official free practice tests. This is my 2 cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I've been teaching and tutoring the GMAT and GRE for almost 19 years and have taught over 100,000 students between the classroom and tutoring. My opinion on the relative difficulty of the tests is based on that. It's also based on the real test, and not on the practice questions in the books -- which you seem to be basing your opinion on. You are welcome to hold any opinion you wish to on these exams. I do, however, find it bizarre that you are telling me that you found the GRE to be unusually difficult for you but continue to believe that the GRE is easy. It's a perplexing opinion to have. But as I've stated, it isn't my job to change your mind. Good luck in the future.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts