Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 03:46 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51454 [19]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [2]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Guide to Consulting Recruiting - Part 2 [#permalink]
Kudos
Just a quick comment on the casing: a lot of people are afraid/scared of casing but a case is nothing different from what you will do as a consultant. The client has come to you with a question/concern (new market entry, profitability, impact of corona/recession on costs etc) ; how will you help the client in a) understanding what is causing these things b) how can we help the client turn around these things. So dont treat cases as something more than problem solving any given issue/concern that you wont normally do in your daily life.

Also, souvik101990 ; great articles. I am happy to take the lead on an article about list of good resources for consulting interviews prep for both MBAs/post MBAs/experienced hires. Let me know.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51454 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stoiczoan to chime in who is going to be fresh meat at MBB.

Posted from my mobile device
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51454 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
Just a quick comment on the casing: a lot of people are afraid/scared of casing but a case is nothing different from what you will do as a consultant. The client has come to you with a question/concern (new market entry, profitability, impact of corona/recession on costs etc) ; how will you help the client in a) understanding what is causing these things b) how can we help the client turn around these things. So dont treat cases as something more than problem solving any given issue/concern that you wont normally do in your daily life.

Also, souvik101990 ; great articles. I am happy to take the lead on an article about list of good resources for consulting interviews prep for both MBAs/post MBAs/experienced hires. Let me know.

That will be fantastic! I will PM you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:

Haha! Thanks souvik101990

Your friend has done a fantastic job with this post actually so there's little to add.
I will just put out there that consulting prep is a little bit like nutrition advice (or even like GMAT prep) - its very personalized. So its important to be highly self-aware and work on areas which are unique to you, and sort of find your own path using advice from various sources.

Some other thoughts:
- Be true to yourself about areas of improvement. Keep a log of case performance on various metrics and see which area needs work and where can you spike (showcase your strength)
- Be cognizant of the person giving the advice - you don't have to take every piece of advice from everyone. Find what works best for you. (I valued advice from some 2Ys and firm reps more than from fellow 1Ys)
- Luck plays a BIG factor in getting the final offer. Be kind to yourself.
- Like ENGRTOMBA2018 said, casing is pretty much what the job as a consultant will entail, so make sure you're enjoying the process. If you absolutely hate it, then it might be worth looking at other careers.
- There's no one personality or type of person that the firms look for - they also want to have diversity of thought, background etc. So as the original post said, let your personality shine.
- Don't underestimate behavioral prep. It is equally important.

Honestly, the two posts Part 1 and Part 2 are fantastic and I would definitely bookmark them if I was an incoming MBA candidate.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
stoiczoan wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Haha! Thanks souvik101990

Your friend has done a fantastic job with this post actually so there's little to add.
I will just put out there that consulting prep is a little bit like nutrition advice (or even like GMAT prep) - its very personalized. So its important to be highly self-aware and work on areas which are unique to you, and sort of find your own path using advice from various sources.

Some other thoughts:
- Be true to yourself about areas of improvement. Keep a log of case performance on various metrics and see which area needs work and where can you spike (showcase your strength)
- Be cognizant of the person giving the advice - you don't have to take every piece of advice from everyone. Find what works best for you. (I valued advice from some 2Ys and firm reps more than from fellow 1Ys)
- Luck plays a BIG factor in getting the final offer. Be kind to yourself.
- Like ENGRTOMBA2018 said, casing is pretty much what the job as a consultant will entail, so make sure you're enjoying the process. If you absolutely hate it, then it might be worth looking at other careers.
- There's no one personality or type of person that the firms look for - they also want to have diversity of thought, background etc. So as the original post said, let your personality shine.
- Don't underestimate behavioral prep. It is equally important.

Honestly, the two posts Part 1 and Part 2 are fantastic and I would definitely bookmark them if I was an incoming MBA candidate.

Great points, stoiczoan but I think your point on fit/behavioral portion should be the first point as everyone who gets called into the first rounds of interviews at MBB would already have shown some baseline casing skills (structured thinking, some level of analytical skills, being able to put your point forward etc). Second and final rounds usually come down to how strong of a fit can you show through your experiences and whether the Partners can be confident of putting you infront of the clients.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi there

As highlighted above some firms do have an obsession with fit and personality.

Do ensure that you focus on the softer side of the interview as well.

Here is a related video which I thought may be useful to understand this further from a consulting perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUdv9J8GSh4

Cheers.
GMAT Club Bot