Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 15:26 It is currently 03 May 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2339 [7]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5208 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2339 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
Send PM
Tutor
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
Send PM
Re: Have you completely misunderstood the timing problem? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22129 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow, CJ, you hit the nail on the head!

As I like to say, the first thing to understand is that timing on the GMAT, as in life, improves as a student’s knowledge, understanding, and skill improve. Timing does not improve simply by “trying to go faster.” When people try to force speed before they’re ready to go faster, they tend to end up making a significant number of preventable mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes badly erode people’s test scores. In addition, when people rush learning -- a common pathology of those trying to force speed -- they actually never end up developing the speed they seek. One of the great paradoxes of learning is that to develop speed, a student must slow down to ensure that he or she masters the material. Often, when students come to me with timing issues, I give them the following example:

Imagine a student’s goal is to run a mile in four minutes, a difficult feat even for professional athletes. So, he gets a running coach, shows up on the field, and asks, “Coach, how do I get faster?” The coach responds, “Well, just run faster.” So, he tries his best to “run faster,” but he can't; he’s running a 12-minute mile. Out of breath, he comes back to the coach and says, “Coach, I stink. How do I get faster?” Again, the coach says, “Just run faster.” So, he tries again, but this time he falls and skins his knees. He keeps trying to run faster. On the tenth attempt, he pulls his hamstring, falling to the ground in pain. Over his next four months of recovery, he ponders why he couldn't run faster.

That situation would be insane, right? No qualified running coach would ever provide someone with that advice, because the coach would understand that no one gets faster merely by trying to run faster. Instead, the coach would set the student up on a plan to make him a BETTER runner, having him run progressively longer distances at relatively slow speeds, run up and down hills, and engage in strength training, yoga, or Pilates to improve his fitness. After all of that training, the coach finally would bring the student back onto the field and time him running the mile. At that point, the coach would instruct him on how to push through the pain of sprinting and help him understand what a four-minute-mile pace feels like. The coach now could help him with those things because he would be in the necessary shape to be receptive to them. Thus, when the student tries again to run the mile, he finds that he is able to run a 6-minute mile. What happened? He became a better runner. He became a fitter athlete. He became stronger. By merely focusing on speed, the student would not have been able to make such an improvement.

Thanks again for the post, CJ. It was a great read!
Tutor
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Wow, CJ, you hit the nail on the head!

As I like to say, the first thing to understand is that timing on the GMAT, as in life, improves as a student’s knowledge, understanding, and skill improve. Timing does not improve simply by “trying to go faster.” When people try to force speed before they’re ready to go faster, they tend to end up making a significant number of preventable mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes badly erode people’s test scores. In addition, when people rush learning -- a common pathology of those trying to force speed -- they actually never end up developing the speed they seek. One of the great paradoxes of learning is that to develop speed, a student must slow down to ensure that he or she masters the material. Often, when students come to me with timing issues, I give them the following example:

Imagine a student’s goal is to run a mile in four minutes, a difficult feat even for professional athletes. So, he gets a running coach, shows up on the field, and asks, “Coach, how do I get faster?” The coach responds, “Well, just run faster.” So, he tries his best to “run faster,” but he can't; he’s running a 12-minute mile. Out of breath, he comes back to the coach and says, “Coach, I stink. How do I get faster?” Again, the coach says, “Just run faster.” So, he tries again, but this time he falls and skins his knees. He keeps trying to run faster. On the tenth attempt, he pulls his hamstring, falling to the ground in pain. Over his next four months of recovery, he ponders why he couldn't run faster.

That situation would be insane, right? No qualified running coach would ever provide someone with that advice, because the coach would understand that no one gets faster merely by trying to run faster. Instead, the coach would set the student up on a plan to make him a BETTER runner, having him run progressively longer distances at relatively slow speeds, run up and down hills, and engage in strength training, yoga, or Pilates to improve his fitness. After all of that training, the coach finally would bring the student back onto the field and time him running the mile. At that point, the coach would instruct him on how to push through the pain of sprinting and help him understand what a four-minute-mile pace feels like. The coach now could help him with those things because he would be in the necessary shape to be receptive to them. Thus, when the student tries again to run the mile, he finds that he is able to run a 6-minute mile. What happened? He became a better runner. He became a fitter athlete. He became stronger. By merely focusing on speed, the student would not have been able to make such an improvement.

Thanks again for the post, CJ. It was a great read!

Thank you, Scott, for your compliment and for your very fine and apt example! For some reason, the distorted logic - that since I'll have to solve questions within 2 minutes on the exam, I should try to solve questions within 2 minutes from the beginning of the preparation - is very prevalent among the student community. Time and again, I have to quote these examples to ask them to slow down.
GMAT Club Bot