GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

GMAT RC - Is timing your real problem?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Premium Member
GMAT RC - Is timing your real problem?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 22:31
Top Contributor
Recently, I started RC sessions with a guy who is around V30 and had already done an online verbal course before. As I always do, I shared with him three passages and asked him to solve the passages before the next session.

When I told him that the passages were to be solved without any time restrictions, he had a lot of reservations. He argued that he could get all questions right if he had all the time.

"The main problem is that GMAT is timed."

"How will solving the passages in an untimed way help in tackling a test that is timed?", he asked directly.

I shared with him that in my experience, the problems are almost always with the approach or the thought process, not with the timing. The timing is completely dependent on fluency, and fluency can be gained by practice, as long as the approach or the thought process is correct.

I think he wasn't convinced much with my reasoning, but he agreed to follow.

The next session, in the passages he had solved without any time restrictions, he could manage only 60% to 75% accuracy. Given that the passages were medium to difficult (and not overly difficult) and that he was already at V30, the accuracy wasn't drastically different from what he would get in a timed scenario. I told him so, and when he saw it himself, what I had said made sense to him.

It's extremely common to blame timing as the problem. However, before we do so, we have to show to ourselves, and not assume, that we can get 90% to 95% questions right (in medium to hard passages) without time restrictions. If we are stuck at 70% to 80% accuracy even in untimed scenarios, then there are gaps in our understanding or problems with our approach. In timed scenarios, these gaps get accentuated by the lack of enough time. The problem is not time but those gaps.

This article was originally posted on: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/gmat-rc- ... eev-singh/

My articles:
Detailed Solutions to all SC questions in OG 2019, OG 2018,and OG 2017
My experience with GMAT (Score 780) and My analysis of my ESR
Three pillars of a successful GMAT strategy
Critical Reasoning and The Life of a GMAT Student
The 'Although' Misconception
Dear GMAT Aspirant, You need not swim against the tide

Orion Director of Academics
S
Re: GMAT RC - Is timing your real problem?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 11:03
This rings so true. As a tutor, I've done this experiment with students many times and it's often the case that people do nearly the same whether they are being timed or not timed. The GMAT is a reasoning test, and it takes advantage of the fact that most people aren't used to interacting with and comprehending complex texts. Worse, always doing practice sets timed can discourage students from really taking the time to analyze the errors in their reasoning as a whole.

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT RC - Is timing your real problem? &nbs [#permalink] 17 Aug 2018, 11:03

GMAT RC - Is timing your real problem?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap