Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1025 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [1]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Help! All my errors are the same! [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
The main topic of the passage is tricky and it is sometimes very debatable.
But you should get better the more mistakes you make. It is a bit surprising to me you have not learned from the mistakes? :-o
Do you know why each of those answers was correct and why you did not pick it?

I feel a lot of times it has to do with SCOPE and PURPOSE of the passage. I don't get 100% of them right either but what i sometimes do is answer the question without looking at answer choices so that I express my real thinking first. Then I eliminate things that are outside of scope and then consider purpose... maybe that will help - it can be diff for diff people.

LongTermWarrior wrote:
Dear gmatclubers,

First I want to thank this community as the value it provides is huuuge and I've learnt a lot going through the immense database and posts from other members!

I am facing a persistent challenge with my RC and don't know what to do to overcome it, appreciate any suggestions/tips/advice. As a non-native, RC is the section of the gmat I struggle the most with, I started failing 1 of every 2 questions I did but after 1.5months of continous practice and lots of reading on the side I have significantly improved my scoring, now I am able to get 70-80% right and I am happy with that except for the fact that 95% of the questions I get wrong are all the same!! These questions are those that ask for the primary purpose of the passage and I don't know how to get them right, every time I face these questions, many answers seem right to me so I end up guessing and almost always get them wrong (when I get them right is purely by change, though statistics seems to play against me).

Does this happen to anyone else or am I alone here? How to improve this?

Yeah. Makes sense. Prethinking.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I can help you get to perfection on RC in as few as 10 days.

I have helped many non-native speakers get to perfection on RC, and I am confident that you'll be able to get every primary purpose question correct after just a 2- hour session with me.

I can help you connect with my students, with whom you can talk directly, and verify my bold claim.

Regards,
Muhammad Ali Tariq.

P.S:

Have a look at my Primary Purpose related post here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rc-primary-c ... l#p2815389

I have discussed something related with RC's strategy in following posts:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-verbal- ... l#p2800685
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi LongTermWarrior,

Many GMATers (both native and non-native) find RC to be challenging - so you're not alone. Those types of questions are generally not too difficult, but if you're consistently getting them wrong, then there might be some issue with how you are reading and taking notes during your RCs (and by extension, making some slight changes to how you work through those prompts could provide a big 'fix' to this issue).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi LongTermWarrior,

Since you are struggling with RC, here is a great article you can check out:

GMAT Reading Comprehension Tips: Top 8 DOs and DON’Ts

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thank you all for your comments.

bb I apply this technique (i.e. thinking of an answer before reading the options) to every question except for SC and DS (obviously), I like forcing myself to get the answer without hints/elimination of the options given. However, for the "main purpose of the passage" questions I always end up with 2/3 options that seem correct.

Whenever I fail a question I don't spend time understanding why (yet) as I just mark the question as wrong and I continue with the next one. I plan to go over all wrong questions during my last 2 weeks of prep and only then, go over the explanations to understand why my asnwers are wrong.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You should review your mistakes right after your quiz. That’s a big part of the learning. If you’re doing some boxing and you’re keeping your right hand to low and you’re getting hit on your chin all the time, you don’t want to keep doing that probably 😉

Try to fix your mistakes right away and understand why you made them and pursue solutions to avoid them in the future

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Probably better to solve RC main idea questions in different way than the other types of RC questions (i.e. inference). Sent you a pm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
bb makes sense. I chose this way because I already spend 2h/day doing questions from the OG and was trying to save time as I work long hours but maybe it is worth changing my strategy so I'll start reviewing the answers today even if I have to do less questions (I still have 1.5months to go for the real exam).

GmatTutorKnight I'll check my mail box!
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
i can help you at any problem.please tell me what is your problem.
GMAT Club Bot