Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V156
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: How Detrimental it is on GMAT scores when you have several unfinished [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
HI jxav,

If you leave any questions unanswered on the GMAT, then each of those questions is 'penalized' - and the penalty is WORSE than if you had simply answered incorrectly. As such, you MUST make sure to answer every question (even if it's just a guess). It's tough to calculate the exact 'penalty' involved here since we we would also need to know which of the questions on the Exam were 'experimental' and we we would need a sense of how well you were performing BEFORE you ran out of time (re: did you get a lot of questions wrong in the 'block' of questions immediately preceding those last 5 questions?).

To avoid this pacing issue in the future, you have to take a really detailed look at how you answer GMAT questions. Pacing issues do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of other issues. If "your way" of approaching a question takes too long, then you might need to learn/practice other approaches.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

I have made a total of 12 wrong answers, which 7 of them occured on no 8-25.

I seem to spent a lot of time on questions that involve 'number testing' such as relationship between integers that are represented through algebraic symbols and modulus. Im sort of worried if I've been missing something in those questions which makes me constantly rechecks until I'm convinced that I'm not leaving anything behind.

Regards.

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: How Detrimental it is on GMAT scores when you have several unfinished [#permalink]
jxav wrote:
I just have finished a GMAT prep test on exact actual exam conditions with 660 (44Q, 37V). I did not manage to do the last 5 questions on quant sections due to poor time management.

So, actually how detrimental is it for questions to be left unanswered in GMAT? Is it actually better for me to make a guess or leave it blank in a scenario that I only have like 2 min for the final 5 questions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi. It's better to guess the last 5 and rush through them than waste time on only one and leave the other questions unanswered.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
HI jxav,

Certain questions in the Quant section might require up to 3 minutes of work to solve, but you cannot afford to spend that much time on many of the questions in that section (and you have to actually be working for those 3 minutes - NOT 'staring'). By extension, NO Quant question is worth more than 3 minutes of your time - for the reasons that you've already experienced. Absolute Value/Modulus and 'symbolism' questions are not too common on Test Day - you'll likely see just 1-2 of each - so unless you're spending 5+ minutes on each of those questions, then they are not enough to explain the pacing issue that you're currently facing. The likelier explanation is that you're using 'math approaches' to answer questions that take longer than other more-strategic Tactical approaches that you could be using instead.

1) How long have you studied?
2) What practice materials have you used?

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
HI jxav,

Certain questions in the Quant section might require up to 3 minutes of work to solve, but you cannot afford to spend that much time on many of the questions in that section (and you have to actually be working for those 3 minutes - NOT 'staring'). By extension, NO Quant question is worth more than 3 minutes of your time - for the reasons that you've already experienced. Absolute Value/Modulus and 'symbolism' questions are not too common on Test Day - you'll likely see just 1-2 of each - so unless you're spending 5+ minutes on each of those questions, then they are not enough to explain the pacing issue that you're currently facing. The likelier explanation is that you're using 'math approaches' to answer questions that take longer than other more-strategic Tactical approaches that you could be using instead.

1) How long have you studied?
2) What practice materials have you used?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have studied quant for around 2 months now, have been using MGMAT quant sets including their free question banks online which I think has been very helpful. I have been using the OG as well but I think the ones that helped me the most to get an overall better grasp is MGMAT and this club.

Other than modulus type of questions, I'm sure I have spend a lot of time in other DS type of questions which I need to be sure which statements are sufficient.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
HI jxav,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you'll continue to improve (and your pacing will get 'better') as you continue to study.

Have you taken any practice CATs that provide you with data about how much time you spent on each individual question? I ask because it would help to know which types of questions you spend the most time on. Once you have that lists, you can then either post those questions in the Forums here or 'Google' them (so that you can see how other members and Experts approach those prompts).

DS questions 'test' a lot of different skills (far more than just 'math' skills), so you might find it beneficial to focus on learning/practicing more strategic ways to approach those prompts.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
HI jxav,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you'll continue to improve (and your pacing will get 'better') as you continue to study.

Have you taken any practice CATs that provide you with data about how much time you spent on each individual question? I ask because it would help to know which types of questions you spend the most time on. Once you have that lists, you can then either post those questions in the Forums here or 'Google' them (so that you can see how other members and Experts approach those prompts).

DS questions 'test' a lot of different skills (far more than just 'math' skills), so you might find it beneficial to focus on learning/practicing more strategic ways to approach those prompts.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'll be probably aiming for 650-700 and due to time constraints I need to take it around 2 weeks from now. Realistically, its not that much of a time for me to improve, maybe I can make use of some time-management tips such as making an educated guess and use the 'saved' time for other questions to maximize scores.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jxav,

If you'd be satisfied with a 650+ - and you've been taking your CATs in a realistic fashion that 'matches up' with what you'll face on Test Day - then you appear to be exactly where you need to be to hit your score goal. It's important that you not get 'bogged down' in any individual GMAT question, so you might find it worthwhile to 'dump' a few questions that you just think are too hard or too weird. By making that choice (and acting accordingly), you could likely eliminate this pacing issue completely.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot