Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: How to improve SC? [#permalink]
sahilvijay wrote:
bakhshyan wrote:
Hi guys,

Wrote my official test yesterday and it was a bit disappointing. In the past practice GMAT exams I was able to hit 40+ on each of CR/RC/SC respectively. I just got the enhanced score report and to my surprise I ended up with 51/51/30 for CR/RC/SC with an overall score of 41 on verbal. Not sure what went wrong here that led to the terrible SC score. I understand the questions are adaptive ie. if i'm doing really well in CR/RC then i'll be getting tougher SC questions but still 30 seems very odd. I'm not a native speaker but have lived in North America for the last 18 years. Any advice on how to improve SC? Does it make sense to hire a gmat tutor at this point for some 1 on 1 lessons aimed at SC?

Thanks

Seems like V41 is a decent score and if your quants score is good eg Q51 => then you can focus on building a solid profile and GMAT score is 25% os process => rest 75% is profile, essays ,and interview etc

Anyways still if you want to nail SC -> go through Thursdays with Ron.

My quant was 48, bringing the total score to 720. Not sure if it will be good enough for H/W/S. I feel like SC should be the area where I can stand to improve the most. Apologies but I am new here - what do you mean by Thursdays with Ron?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bakhshyan wrote:
sahilvijay wrote:
bakhshyan wrote:
Hi guys,

Wrote my official test yesterday and it was a bit disappointing. In the past practice GMAT exams I was able to hit 40+ on each of CR/RC/SC respectively. I just got the enhanced score report and to my surprise I ended up with 51/51/30 for CR/RC/SC with an overall score of 41 on verbal. Not sure what went wrong here that led to the terrible SC score. I understand the questions are adaptive ie. if i'm doing really well in CR/RC then i'll be getting tougher SC questions but still 30 seems very odd. I'm not a native speaker but have lived in North America for the last 18 years. Any advice on how to improve SC? Does it make sense to hire a gmat tutor at this point for some 1 on 1 lessons aimed at SC?

Thanks

Seems like V41 is a decent score and if your quants score is good eg Q51 => then you can focus on building a solid profile and GMAT score is 25% os process => rest 75% is profile, essays ,and interview etc

My quant was 48, bringing the total score to 720. Not sure if it will be good enough for H/W/S. I feel like SC should be the area where I can stand to improve the most. Apologies but I am new here - what do you mean by Thursdays with Ron?

Thursdays with Ron is recorded video session narrated by Ron Purewal => you can find the videos in MGMAT website in free resources -> Quants 48 is low ->

I will advice you to give one more GMAT official test after brushing up Quants => get at least Q50 or Q51 is u can..
Q50 V41 => ~740-750 approx => so then you will have better chances at least from gmat score part.

You can even find Thursdays with Ron video link in Carcass's directory , so you can download them for playing offline as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bakhshyan wrote:
sahilvijay wrote:
bakhshyan wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks

For your ref.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/thursdays-with-ron/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks - much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Did you experience the same issues with SC in the mocks? How was your SC performance in GMAT Prep mocks? With such a stellar Verbal score, I am surprised to see a low SC score. But then, you definitely can improve on SC. You should know all the grammar rules and then use "meaning/logic" as a tool to eliminate wrong choices.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sdlife wrote:
Did you experience the same issues with SC in the mocks? How was your SC performance in GMAT Prep mocks? With such a stellar Verbal score, I am surprised to see a low SC score. But then, you definitely can improve on SC. You should know all the grammar rules and then use "meaning/logic" as a tool to eliminate wrong choices.

During mocks I was able to hit around ~40 on sentence correction. I think the problem could be that I solve most of the SC just by what sounds right instead of by the actual grammatical rules.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts