Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 15:06 It is currently 12 May 2024, 15:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [6]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42111 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1338 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42111 [0]
Send PM
Re: The loggers’ railway roadbed, with its narrow spurs jutting fingerlike [#permalink]
Expert Reply
why not? That is an essential feature of the subjunctive. If you do not use 'that', then you have to choose the infinitive as in E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1338 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: The loggers’ railway roadbed, with its narrow spurs jutting fingerlike [#permalink]
@daagh
'that' is an essential feature of the subjunctive ?

1.Donna requested Frank come to the party.

2.It is important she attend the meeting.

are the sentences correct grammatically ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
1. "That" is necessary when the "be" form of the verb has to be used.

The court ordered that the prisoner be released. Now consider a sentence without "that":

The court ordered the prisoner to be released.

In the first sentence, it is clear that the court's order is meant for the authorities who have imprisoned the prisoner. In the second, it may seem that the court is ordering the prisoner himslef (who is to be released)

2. It is possible not to use the command subjunctive, instead, command verb+Noun+infinitive can be used:

"The court ordered the warden to release the prisoner"

In the question, A & E follow the first and second pattern respectively and hence I can't decide which one to go for :?
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3605 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
This is indeed a very good question. A and E are quite close.

Though I m always inclined towards A for such close answers. But in this question, A has some problems.

X require that Y + be verb - correct
X require Y + infinitive - correct. -> This is basically the form used in E.

But the former form is not used in A. why?

if the sentence had been " X requiring that Y agree on this contract" , the answer would have been correct.

X requiring that government officials agree <to have the area razed> -> this is unidiomatic.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42111 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Garimavyas wote

@daagh
'that' is an essential feature of the subjunctive ?

1.Donna requested Frank come to the party.

2.It is important she attend the meeting.

are the sentences correct grammatically ?

Yes these are the two examples that the englishpage.com(https://www.englishpage.com/minitutorial ... ctive.html) describes as examples of subjunctive without the connector “That” But at the same, you might have noted that all the other examples have the essential word ‘that’ The two are exceptions to a rule and one can not pass off them as rules themselves. IMO it is not fair to corrupt a rule by its exceptions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Quote:
This is an odd question in that choices both A and E can be correct, while of course other things can be easily dumped for obvious reasons.

A. that government officials agree to have the area razed. …. Perfect fit of subjunctive mood; can be a choice.

B. that government officials agree for to have the area razed.=== agree for is wrong idiom
C. the agreeing by government officials to have the area razed. ----requiring the agreeing? Awkward
D. government officials agreeing to have the area razed. ---- Government officials agreeing? awkward
E. government officials to agree to have the area razed. … Uses simple idiom requires X to Y where X is the object and Y the subjunctive verb, exposing the intended meaning precisely ; another good choice.

I wonder whether a topic with two potential choices as correct ones will ever appear in a GMAT. But as per the norm that between equal choices, better stick to the original, A will be more prudent to choose than E. But E is more crisp and clear. It is any body’s guess now.

Sir please let me know when to use "that" and when to use "to".

Also, are both the forms are subjunctive.

Can you please explain a bit more about this "to" form.

Is it necessary that in "to" form, i.e require X (object) to Y (Subjunctive)??

Thanks in advance.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The loggers railway roadbed, with its narrow spurs jutting fingerlike [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The loggers railway roadbed, with its narrow spurs jutting fingerlike [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts