Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 10:34 It is currently 12 May 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: IELTS Takers ? [#permalink]
Yes, of course you can. Apart from Magoosh, try to get some materials from British/Australian Language Institutes for practicing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hey, I have IELTS on Nov25th(9days), haven't started prep,
Can I get a 7.5 (7 min in all sections), that's my target.
I'm worried mostly about writing and speaking.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
DIII wrote:

Have you tried practice tests ? Those might give you some idea of how you'd fare in the real test. Also, given that you've done so well in the GMAT (verbal), why this lack of confidence ? I think if you work in a planned manner, you should be able to get >= 7.5. I studied hardly for 5 days (and that too with 2-3 practice tests) and got 8.5.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
subhashghosh wrote:
DIII wrote:

Have you tried practice tests? Those might give you some idea of how you'd fare in the real test. Also, given that you've done so well in the GMAT (verbal), why this lack of confidence? I think if you work in a planned manner, you should be able to get >= 7.5. I studied hardly for 5 days (and that too with 2-3 practice tests) and got 8.5.

I just gave listening and reading and fared well on the practice tests, I was worried because many online were suggesting a month for preparation.
My main worry was that getting at least 7 in all sections, hopefully, I will get it.
Also, can you tell me where I can find good mock tests( I am planning to do the 4 tests in the book that was mailed and maybe some free ones online)?
I also rarely speak English(Mostly Hindi or Telugu), although my understanding and listening ability is very high(tv shows and movies addiction). I am a little worried about that.
what do you suggest I do the remaining days of preparation?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
DIII wrote:
subhashghosh wrote:
DIII wrote:

Have you tried practice tests? Those might give you some idea of how you'd fare in the real test. Also, given that you've done so well in the GMAT (verbal), why this lack of confidence? I think if you work in a planned manner, you should be able to get >= 7.5. I studied hardly for 5 days (and that too with 2-3 practice tests) and got 8.5.

I just gave listening and reading and fared well on the practice tests, I was worried because many online were suggesting a month for preparation.
My main worry was that getting at least 7 in all sections, hopefully, I will get it.
Also, can you tell me where I can find good mock tests( I am planning to do the 4 tests in the book that was mailed and maybe some free ones online)?
I also rarely speak English(Mostly Hindi or Telugu), although my understanding and listening ability is very high(tv shows and movies addiction). I am a little worried about that.
what do you suggest I do the remaining days of preparation?

One month of preparation seems to be a bit long (never seen anyone with a reasonable command over English doing so), but then, it might be different for different applicants. You've already found the mock tests, i.e. in book and online, check other books also like Barron's etc. In the last 7 days, just relax and focus; remember, you can appear in the test again after a few days so no need to become too nervous about it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you, what do you suggest I do for Speaking?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello all I am Anthony and have been doing the ielts test for the past 3 years without any success in obtaining the required band score to get my pr and really this have made me miss at least 6 good opportunities. I know they doing this to block people like us to achieve their goal and frustrate us after all we paying to write the test each time so it's money for someone out there. This ielts certificate have really been a barrier in my life at a point where I started looking for other options and took the Toefl and pte test which was not good also so i finally one day stumbled upon a consultant agency online offering Ielts certificate online without taking the exam and with online validation. So after some research online I found out that they are genuine so I ordered the certificate it took some few days but they provided me with the certificate and I was finally granted visa, after I did some research more on the agency who gave the original Ielts certificate in just 6 days was a group of chief examiners at the British council and idp center and it was easy for them to do this since they work there so if anyone on same situation or some similar and need shortcuts to this issue email me and I will be happy to connect you with the group so you can get the help
Email : anthokeck2@gmail.com don't hesitate
Manager
Manager
Send PM
subhashghosh wrote:
DIII wrote:

Check the tutorials/videos from experts on how to speak and structure your responses and practice doing the same exactly. Record your responses (on Smartphone etc.) and listen back to check on diction and clarity; you can also compare your speaking style with that of experts and try to plug the gaps. In the next few days, this might be a good approach.

Hey Subhash got my result today.

total - 8.0
reading - 9.0
listening - 9.0
speaking - 8.0
writing - 6.5.

I am really disappointed with writing score, I don't believe that I deserved only a 6.5. Also if writing were to increase atleast 0.5 then my total will become 8.5.

Oxford has an IELTS minimum of 7.0 in all sections, what do you suggest I do? Should I get it rechecked, if so, what is the cost and process and is there nay chance for success?

Thank You.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
DIII wrote:
subhashghosh wrote:
DIII wrote:

Check the tutorials/videos from experts on how to speak and structure your responses and practice doing the same exactly. Record your responses (on Smartphone etc.) and listen back to check on diction and clarity; you can also compare your speaking style with that of experts and try to plug the gaps. In the next few days, this might be a good approach.

Hey Subhash got my result today.

total - 8.0
reading - 9.0
listening - 9.0
speaking - 8.0
writing - 6.5.

I am really disappointed with writing score, I don't believe that I deserved only a 6.5. Also if writing were to increase atleast 0.5 then my total will become 8.5.

Oxford has an IELTS minimum of 7.0 in all sections, what do you suggest I do? Should I get it rechecked, if so, what is the cost and process and is there nay chance for success?

Thank You.

Hey sorry, I was away for a while and logged in today. So what's the latest, did you get your IELTS rechecked ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
subhashghosh wrote:
Hi All,

Please holler if you're preparing for the IELTS exam, or have already appeared in IELTS (along with your experiences, scores etc.).

Hi people i intend to opt for higher studies in London.

Once I have applied for the test after how many days is a test scheduled.

secondly approximately ow much money needs to be paid for the test.

thirdly, can anyone please tell me what sort of scores should be good enough for me.

Lastly, what is the difficulty level for IELTS tests.

Thank you, awaiting for your replies.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
robertbrown98765 wrote:
subhashghosh wrote:
Hi All,

Please holler if you're preparing for the IELTS exam, or have already appeared in IELTS (along with your experiences, scores etc.).

Hi people i intend to opt for higher studies in London.

Once I have applied for the test after how many days is a test scheduled.

secondly approximately ow much money needs to be paid for the test.

thirdly, can anyone please tell me what sort of scores should be good enough for me.

Lastly, what is the difficulty level for IELTS tests.

Thank you, awaiting for your replies.

The details such as test schedule for your location, test fees etc. can be checked online, just Google for the details. Regarding the "good enough" scores, you might want to check with the colleges where you intend to apply. And then, the difficulty part is highly subjective and depends on various factors such as your fluency in English, reading, listening and writing capabilities etc. To get a feel for the same, you can try one or two practice IELTS tests and see how you score and that will provide some insight regarding your current level of proficiency.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hey Neha, got my result today.

total - 7.5
reading - 9.0
listening - 9.0
speaking - 7.0
writing - 6.5.

Now, I Planned to Test again. I Want to get 8.5 Band in IELTS.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4422 posts