Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [4]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: If a customer makes exactly one selection from each of the five [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pushpitkc wrote:
Attachment:
SundaeProblem.PNG

If a customer makes exactly one selection from each of the five categories shown in the table above,
what is the greatest possible number of different ice cream sundaes that a customer can create?

(A) 9,600
(B) 4,800
(C) 2,400
(D) 800
(E) 400

The total number of options are:

12 x 10 x 8 x 5 x 2 = 9,600

Answer: A
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Re: If a customer makes exactly one selection from each of the five [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
Attachment:
SundaeProblem.PNG

If a customer makes exactly one selection from each of the five categories shown in the table above,
what is the greatest possible number of different ice cream sundaes that a customer can create?

(A) 9,600
(B) 4,800
(C) 2,400
(D) 800
(E) 400

The total number of options are:

12 x 10 x 8 x 5 x 2 = 9,600

Answer: A

Shouldn't we take into consideration that order does not matter in this case?

I mean, if we simply multiply the options we are counting two times the same flavours but with different order, aren't we?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
Send PM
AndrewN Hi Andrew. Hope you're well. I'm slightly confused as to why the 'order matters' in the above question? And, in general, how to guage which case demands an ordered list and which one does not?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
Send PM
Shikhar22 wrote:
AndrewN Hi Andrew. Hope you're well. I'm slightly confused as to why the 'order matters' in the above question? And, in general, how to guage which case demands an ordered list and which one does not?

Posted from my mobile device

I reckon, my question is flawed, since there is no relevance to order in this question at all as each item is from different category. But, I’d like your views on how to decide when order matters and when it doesn’t. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Simple product
12*10*8*5*2=9600
Ans=A
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
bnossn wrote:
Shouldn't we take into consideration that order does not matter in this case?

I mean, if we simply multiply the options we are counting two times the same flavours but with different order, aren't we?

Shikhar22 wrote:

Shikhar22 wrote:
I reckon, my question is flawed, since there is no relevance to order in this question at all as each item is from different category. But, I’d like your views on how to decide when order matters and when it doesn’t. Thank you!

I was just getting ready to write a response when your second post came through, Shikhar22. Nice catch—there is no relevance to order in this question. That is, there is no reason that ice cream must be selected first, candies second, and so on. So, how can you tell when order matters and when it does not? You have to think logically about the question at hand, to be honest. The same type of question could be phrased slightly differently to convey different meanings, and you would have to adjust your approach accordingly.

As a general rule, if you see "identical" or "the same," you should treat the objects as the same, and order will not matter. Examples might be six of the same color of marble, three white cars (which will be treated as one type of car, based on color), or gold keys on a keychain (versus, say, silver keys, which themselves would be treated the same way, by color). If you are asked to arrange the letters in a word, you want to weed out repetitions by the same logic. The country name "Canada" looks like a handful until you reduce the possible combinations by the number of repetitions of "a":

\(\frac{6!}{3!}\)

\(6*5*4\)

\(120\)

Think about it: How could you tell the difference between "cndaaa" and "cndaaa," if the first "a" swapped places with the second? They look the same, so, unless we are to introduce subscripts, they are the same.

As another general rule, unless one selection affects the next, you do not need to think about order. For a simple example, consider a jar with three marbles, one yellow, one red, one blue. If a question asked about the probability of selecting the blue marble, then the red one—without putting anything back—you could not simply multiply a third and a third, because once the blue marble has been selected, it (as well as one marble in general) has been removed, and that affects the probability.

\(\frac{1}{3} * \frac{1}{3} = \frac{1}{9}\) X

\(\frac{1}{3} * \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{6}\)

I would urge you to take a look at this post on combinatorics, as well as the appropriate section, Section 21, of the Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread for reference.

I hope this all proves helpful. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92945 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts