Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 03:02 It is currently 07 May 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1362 [5]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9264 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1362 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9264 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: If P and Q are positive integers, what is the number of factors of X? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
I have a quick question regarding statement 1. It says that both share one common prime factor. Is the following example would satisfy statement 1?

P= 2^2 * 5 & Q= 2^2 * 5

Mu understanding is that both share unique prime number 2 but both share 2^2 which two prime numbers (2 & 2). I'm confused to apply statement 1 in case of that example given.

thanks

In your example, P and Q share two prime factors: 2 and 5. Perhaps you meant to give an example more like this:

P = (2^4)(5)
Q = (2^9)(11)

In this case, P and Q share only one prime factor, 2. There is no reason to count the '2' more than once; if you did, you'd be answering a different question.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Send PM
Re: If P and Q are positive integers, what is the number of factors of X? [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
I have a quick question regarding statement 1. It says that both share one common prime factor. Is the following example would satisfy statement 1?

P= 2^2 * 5 & Q= 2^2 * 5

Mu understanding is that both share unique prime number 2 but both share 2^2 which two prime numbers (2 & 2). I'm confused to apply statement 1 in case of that example given.

thanks

In your example, P and Q share two prime factors: 2 and 5. Perhaps you meant to give an example more like this:

P = (2^4)(5)
Q = (2^9)(11)

In this case, P and Q share only one prime factor, 2. There is no reason to count the '2' more than once; if you did, you'd be answering a different question.

Thanks IanStewart

You are correct about understanding me. I meant something like your example.

But what do you mean by "if you did, you'd be answering a different question."? When I should count the prime numbers? As far as I know, there isa difference between number of prime factors & number of unique prime factors?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9264 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:

But what do you mean by "if you did, you'd be answering a different question."? When I should count the prime numbers? As far as I know, there isa difference between number of prime factors & number of unique prime factors?

If you asked a mathematician "how many prime factors does (2^6)(5^8) have?", they would say "two", because there are two prime numbers that divide (2^6)(5^8), namely 2 and 5. I'm not exactly sure how someone would justify counting the 2 six times, and the 5 eight times. Now, it is true in actual Number Theory that you sometimes care about counting repeated prime divisors, when you are finding something called the "length" of a number (there is one old GMAT question that tests this, but it tells you the definition of "length" in the question itself). For that reason, the GMAT will normally use the phrase "distinct prime divisors" to avoid any potential confusion, but the word "distinct" isn't really necessary.

You can see why the interpretation I'm making is the logically correct one by asking a different question: "how many divisors does 256 have?" You wouldn't count "4" more than once, even though you can divide 256 by 4 a few times. So if I ask "how many prime divisors does 256 have?" you similarly would not count '2' more than once, even though you can divide 256 by 2 several times.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

If you asked a mathematician "how many prime factors does (2^6)(5^8) have?", they would say "two", because there are two prime numbers that divide (2^6)(5^8), namely 2 and 5. I'm not exactly sure how someone would justify counting the 2 six times, and the 5 eight times. Now, it is true in actual Number Theory that you sometimes care about counting repeated prime divisors, when you are finding something called the "length" of a number (there is one old GMAT question that tests this, but it tells you the definition of "length" in the question itself). For that reason, the GMAT will normally use the phrase "distinct prime divisors" to avoid any potential confusion, but the word "distinct" isn't really necessary.

You can see why the interpretation I'm making is the logically correct one by asking a different question: "how many divisors does 256 have?" You wouldn't count "4" more than once, even though you can divide 256 by 4 a few times. So if I ask "how many prime divisors does 256 have?" you similarly would not count '2' more than once, even though you can divide 256 by 2 several times.

Thanks a lot IanStewart for your care and patience to reply and it all makes sense too.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 827 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93072 posts