Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Status:Current MBA Student
Posts: 79
Own Kudos [?]: 2782 [206]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
User avatar
Retired Moderator
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1114
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [126]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 92901
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [60]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Status:Current MBA Student
Posts: 79
Own Kudos [?]: 2782 [6]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
5
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:
If xy = 1, what is the value of \(\frac {2^{(x + y)^2}} {2^{(x - y)^2}\) ?

a. 2

b. 4

c. 8

d. 16

e. 32


\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}=2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}=2^{(x+y+x-y)(x+y-x+y)}=2^{(2x)(2y)}=2^{4xy}=2^4=16\).

Answer: D.


Hey Bunuel,

Thanks for the response. I totally understand the key logic of this problem. My method:
\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}=2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}=2^{(x^2+2xy+y^2) - (x^2-2xy + y^2)} =2^{(x^2+2xy+y^2 - x^2+ 2xy - y^2)}=2^{(4xy)}=2^4=16\)

Your method looks more simple and I would like to understand it. I just got a little lost during your factoring-out transition from \(2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}=2^{(x+y+x-y)(x+y-x+y)}\) . Can u please explain. Thanks!
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 92901
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [17]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
12
Kudos
5
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tonebeeze wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:
If xy = 1, what is the value of \(\frac {2^{(x + y)^2}} {2^{(x - y)^2}\) ?

a. 2

b. 4

c. 8

d. 16

e. 32


\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}=2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}=2^{(x+y+x-y)(x+y-x+y)}=2^{(2x)(2y)}=2^{4xy}=2^4=16\).

Answer: D.


Hey Bunuel,

Thanks for the response. I totally understand the key logic of this problem. My method:
\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}=2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}=2^{(x^2+2xy+y^2) - (x^2-2xy + y^2)} =2^{(x^2+2xy+y^2 - x^2+ 2xy - y^2)}=2^{(4xy)}=2^4=16\)

Your method looks more simple and I would like to understand it. I just got a little lost during your factoring-out transition from \(2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}=2^{(x+y+x-y)(x+y-x+y)}\) . Can u please explain. Thanks!


\(a^2-b^2=(a+b)*(a-b)\), so \((x+y)^2-(x-y)^2=((x+y)+(x-y))*((x+y)-(x-y))=2x*2y=4xy\).

Hope it's clear.
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 94
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
\(2^{(x+y)^2}/2^{(x-y)^2}=2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}\)



This part is very unclear to me. I do understand the basics of negative square is just "one over", but I dont understand this. The math compendium barely touches on this either. Can someone explain this please?
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 92901
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [2]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
erikvm wrote:
\(2^{(x+y)^2}/2^{(x-y)^2}=2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}\)



This part is very unclear to me. I do understand the basics of negative square is just "one over", but I dont understand this. The math compendium barely touches on this either. Can someone explain this please?


\(\frac{a^n}{a^m}=a^{n-m}\)

Below might help:
Theory on Exponents: math-number-theory-88376.html
Tips on Exponents: exponents-and-roots-on-the-gmat-tips-and-hints-174993.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Status:GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Posts: 21846
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [19]
Given Kudos: 450
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
18
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Most Quant questions can be approached in a variety of ways, so it's useful to practice more than one method during your studies. In this question, it appears that all of the posters took the same Algebraic approach (which is fine), but was that approach really the fastest and easiest way to get to the solution.....?

Watch what happens when we TEST VALUES....

We're told that XY = 1. Since the answer choices are all numbers, one of them MUST be the solution to the equation, so I should be able to use ANY combination of X and Y that I choose (as long as the product of those values = 1).

Let's try...
X = 1
Y = 1

The question then becomes...what is the value of (2^4)/(2^0)?

(2^4)/(2^0) =
16/1 =
16

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Location: Spain
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:
If xy = 1, what is the value of \(\frac {2^{(x + y)^2}} {2^{(x - y)^2}\) ?

A. 2
B. 4
C. 8
D. 16
E. 32


\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}=2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}=2^{(x+y+x-y)(x+y-x+y)}=2^{(2x)(2y)}=2^{4xy}=2^4=16\).

Answer: D.


Hi Bunuel,

Could you help me with the following question?

There is a rule for exponents that: \((n^a)^b= n^{a*b}\)

So If we have:

\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}\)

Why woudn't it be the following?

\(\frac{2^{2(x+y)}}{2^{2(x-y)}}=\frac{2^{2x+2y}}{2^{2x-2y}}=2^{2x-2x+2y+2y}=2^{4y}\)


I'm confused because if we have \(2^{x^2}\) the value when \(x=3\), is the value \(2^{3·2}=2^6\) or \(2^{2^3}=2^8\)?


Thank you in advance!
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 92901
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [3]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
2
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
guillemgc wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:
If xy = 1, what is the value of \(\frac {2^{(x + y)^2}} {2^{(x - y)^2}\) ?

A. 2
B. 4
C. 8
D. 16
E. 32


\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}=2^{(x+y)^2-(x-y)^2}=2^{(x+y+x-y)(x+y-x+y)}=2^{(2x)(2y)}=2^{4xy}=2^4=16\).

Answer: D.


Hi Bunuel,

Could you help me with the following question?

There is a rule for exponents that: \((n^a)^b= n^{a*b}\)

So If we have:

\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}\)

Why woudn't it be the following?

\(\frac{2^{2(x+y)}}{2^{2(x-y)}}=\frac{2^{2x+2y}}{2^{2x-2y}}=2^{2x-2x+2y+2y}=2^{4y}\)


I'm confused because if we have \(2^{x^2}\) the value when \(x=3\), is the value \(2^{3·2}=2^6\) or \(2^{2^3}=2^8\)?


Thank you in advance!


Because it's \(2^{(x+y)^2}\) and not \((2^{(x+y)})^2\)

\((a^m)^n=a^{mn}\)

\(a^m^n=a^{(m^n)}\) and not \((a^m)^n\) (if exponentiation is indicated by stacked symbols, the rule is to work from the top down).
Target Test Prep Representative
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Status:Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Posts: 3043
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
tonebeeze wrote:
If xy = 1, what is the value of \(\frac {2^{(x + y)^2}} {2^{(x - y)^2}\) ?

A. 2
B. 4
C. 8
D. 16
E. 32


We can simplify the given expression:

[2^(x+y)^2]/[2^(x-y)^2]

Expanding the exponents in both the numerator and the denominator, we have:

[2^(x^2+y^2+2xy)]/[2^(x^2+y^2-2xy]

We subtract the denominator’s exponent from the numerator’s exponent:

2^(x^2 + y^2 + 2xy - x^2 - y^2 + 2xy)

2^(2xy + 2xy) = 2^(4xy)

Since xy = 1, 2^4xy = 2^4 = 16.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 7
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
1
Kudos
HI!

I got the right answer but with different approach...

I assumed that xy=1 if |x|=1 and |y|=1;

So if we substitute x as 1 or -1 and y as 1 or -1 both lead to 16.

Can this be a correct solution?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Status:GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Posts: 21846
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi aaliyahkhalifa,

YES - your approach (TESTing VALUES) works perfectly on this question; compared with some of the longer 'math-heavy' approaches, it's considerably easier and faster. That's something to keep in mind as you continue to study for the GMAT. Most questions can be approached in more than one way - and it's possible that "your way" of dealing with a question might not actually be the most efficient option. Learning multiple approaches/Tactics can make the overall GMAT a lot easier to deal with and is essential to maximizing your performance on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Location: Germany
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
1
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

Most Quant questions can be approached in a variety of ways, so it's useful to practice more than one method during your studies. In this question, it appears that all of the posters took the same Algebraic approach (which is fine), but was that approach really the fastest and easiest way to get to the solution.....?

Watch what happens when we TEST VALUES....

We're told that XY = 1. Since the answer choices are all numbers, one of them MUST be the solution to the equation, so I should be able to use ANY combination of X and Y that I choose (as long as the product of those values = 1).

Let's try...
X = 1
Y = 1

The question then becomes...what is the value of (2^4)/(2^0)?

(2^4)/(2^0) =
16/1 =
16

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich




I get the algebraic way to to do and I get number picking X=Y=1 to get 16 as well. What I don't get is why if we choose X=Y=(-1) we don't get 16.. Nor if we choose X=2 and Y=0.5. X=4 and Y=0.25.. ???
They all satisfy the original requirement of X*Y=1..
Can some one please enlighten me?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Status:GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Posts: 21846
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gilborg wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

Most Quant questions can be approached in a variety of ways, so it's useful to practice more than one method during your studies. In this question, it appears that all of the posters took the same Algebraic approach (which is fine), but was that approach really the fastest and easiest way to get to the solution.....?

Watch what happens when we TEST VALUES....

We're told that XY = 1. Since the answer choices are all numbers, one of them MUST be the solution to the equation, so I should be able to use ANY combination of X and Y that I choose (as long as the product of those values = 1).

Let's try...
X = 1
Y = 1

The question then becomes...what is the value of (2^4)/(2^0)?

(2^4)/(2^0) =
16/1 =
16

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich




I get the algebraic way to to do and I get number picking X=Y=1 to get 16 as well. What I don't get is why if we choose X=Y=(-1) we don't get 16.. Nor if we choose X=2 and Y=0.5. X=4 and Y=0.25.. ???
They all satisfy the original requirement of X*Y=1..
Can some one please enlighten me?


Hi Gilborg,

You will get the SAME answer (re: the correct one) with all of those examples. When using non-integers, the math gets really 'ugly' though - and you would need an online 'exponent calculator' to prove what the correct answer was. In terms of using X = Y = -1, here's what you'd end up with:

Numerator: 2^(-1 + -1)^2 = 2^(-2)^2 = 2^4 = 16
Denominator: 2^(-1 - -1)^2 = 2^(0)^2 = 2^0 = 1

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Feb 2021
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Was it just me who thought that it wasn't clear the the (x+y)^2 was a term multiplied by 2 rather than its exponent. I was so damn confused and trying to solve it. It was the only question that I was totally bewildered about it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Posts: 4946
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Location: India
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Solution:

2^(x+y)^2 / 2^(x-y)^2

= 2 ^(x^2+y^2+2xy-x^2-y^2+2xy)

= 2^(4xy)

=2^4 =16 (option d)

Devmitra Sen
GMAT SME
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 13 Mar 2021
Posts: 338
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
Baan1997 wrote:
Was it just me who thought that it wasn't clear the the (x+y)^2 was a term multiplied by 2 rather than its exponent. I was so damn confused and trying to solve it. It was the only question that I was totally bewildered about it.

I made the exact same mistake. Suppose you took the official practice exam #1 and got this question too? It was really unclear that the parentheses were exponents.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 May 2022
Posts: 2
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
Baan1997 wrote:
Was it just me who thought that it wasn't clear the the (x+y)^2 was a term multiplied by 2 rather than its exponent. I was so damn confused and trying to solve it. It was the only question that I was totally bewildered about it.



I am so glad I found this.....it really confused me. It was not clear to me they were exponents either...
Tutor
Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Status:Tutor - BrushMyQuant
Posts: 1777
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Given that xy = 1, we need to find the value of \(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}\)

\(\frac{2^{(x+y)^2}}{2^{(x-y)^2}}\)
=> \(2^{(x+y)^2 - (x-y)^2}\)

Using \(a^2 - b^2 = (a+b)*(a-b)\) we get
=> \(2^{(x + y + x - y) * (x + y -( x - y))\)
=> \(2^{2x * 2y}\) = \(2^{4xy}\) = \(2^{4*1}\) = 16

So, Answer will be D
Hope it helps!

Watch the following video to learn the Basics of Exponents

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If xy = 1, what is the value of 2^(x + y)^2/2^(x-y)^2? [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne