Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1992 [5]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619159 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: In 1646, William Stafford published The Reason of the War, with the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvonik2k wrote:
In 1646, William Stafford published The Reason of the War, with the Progress and Accidents Thereof, Written by an English Subject, arguing in a pamphlet that Charles I give more power to Parliament and for peace on the basis of constitutional monarchy.

A) arguing in a pamphlet that Charles I give more power to Parliament
B) arguing in a pamphlet for more power to Parliament from Charles I
C) a pamphlet advocating greater parliamentary powers from Charles I
D) a pamphlet advocating that Charles I give more power to Parliament
E) a pamphlet that argued for Charles I to give more power to Parliament

Source-Gmatfree

Official Explanation

Creating a filter: if we don't draw any immediate conclusions from the prompt, we can go to the answer choices.

Finding objective defects: the answer choices naturally fall into two groups, one containing (A) and (B), and the second containing (C) through (E). We have to be careful about the modifying phrase that starts with "arguing" in the original sentence. It's unclear in its reference, because it comes after and therefore modifies the pamphlet, but says "arguing in a pamphlet" as if modifying Stafford. Better to have it clearly modify the pamphlet. That decision limits us to (C) through (E). Choice (C) uses the phrase "powers from"; this is non-idiomatic English without a verb prior to "powers." You could say you "advocate a transfer of power from X to Y," but to say you "advocate power from X" isn't sensible English. Choice (C) is further twisted because the powers are identified as "parliamentary" in a way that doesn't make it clear that they are initially not parliamentary. So (C) is out. Choice (D) has a good feature, which is to introduce the thing being advocated in a clause after the word "that"; we generally favor that construction. But here, that construction is not parallel with the phrase "and for peace..." later in the sentence. Choice (E) is parallel in that way: the pamphlet argues for one thing and for another.

The correct answer is (E).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Re: In 1646, William Stafford published The Reason of the War, with the [#permalink]
I am not sure about this answer. Can any expert pitch in and explain it?
Tutor
Affiliations: All Day Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Booth '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q167 V167
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Expert Reply
souvonik2k wrote:
In 1646, William Stafford published The Reason of the War, with the Progress and Accidents Thereof, Written by an English Subject, arguing in a pamphlet that Charles I give more power to Parliament and for peace on the basis of constitutional monarchy.

Source-Gmatfree

The arguments given in the pamphlet need to be presented in parallel. E accomplishes this by by stating the pamphlet "argued FOR Charles I..." and "FOR peace....".

A & B make it seem like the English Subject was the one arguing.
C & D are not parallel.

Answer: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
souvonik2k wrote:

Source-Gmatfree

A. Incorrect because verb-ing action modifier modifies previous action. And out here publishing is not the reason of arguing.
B. Incorrect because verb-ing action modifier modifies previous action. And out here publishing is not the reason of arguing.
C. Incorrect because list compared using "and" conjunction is not parallel
D. Incorrect because list compared using "and" conjunction is not parallel
E. Correct , its a noun+noun modifier which correctly modifies book i.e. noun from previous clause and last two entity joined by and conjunction are in parallel list.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts