Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 21 Jul 2019, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a fast changing market and while still single

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2281
Location: New York, NY
In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2013, 14:31
3
11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:57) correct 51% (02:00) wrong based on 849 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


In a fast changing market and while still single, young working professionals often change jobs and switch job locations. Such uncertainty discourages these young professionals from buying a home. When settled with a spouse and a stable job, however, these young professionals generally choose to buy real estate. Surprisingly, in cities where the industry and market are quite stable, young working professionals are still not buying, even though they are not changing jobs and may already be settled down in a spousal relationship.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?

(A) Stable markets do not themselves entice working professionals to buy real estate rather than to rent it.

(B) Brokers readily connect for-sale-homes with working professionals who have stable jobs and are in spousal relationships.

(C) The stability of industries varies widely from city to city.

(D) A very expensive home can significantly decrease the ability of a working professional to fulfill his mortgage payments.

(E) Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes.


Original Source: Practice Pill Platform
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1003
Location: United States
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2013, 23:18
12
2
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Such uncertainties as fast changing market, single, and changing jobs discourage these young professionals from buying a home.
Fact: When settled with a spouse and a stable job, these young professionals generally choose to buy real estate.
Fact: Surprisingly, in cities where the industry and market are quite stable, young working professionals are still not buying, even though they are not changing jobs and may already be settled down in a spousal relationship.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

(A) Stable markets do not themselves entice working professionals to buy real estate rather than to rent it.
Wrong. Sounds tempting but incorrect. “Do not entice to buy more than to rent” means customers actually BUY real estates, but the number of homes sold do not overcome that of home rent. Thus, A does not help to explain why customers do NOT buy real estates.

(B) Brokers readily connect for-sale-homes with working professionals who have stable jobs and are in spousal relationships.
Wrong. Do not explain why customers do NOT buy real estates.

(C) The stability of industries varies widely from city to city.
Wrong. We do not talk about the range of variability. “Stable market” means “stable market”. That’s it. We do not care which city has industry more stable.

(D) A very expensive home can significantly decrease the ability of a working professional to fulfill his mortgage payments.
Wrong. We talk about real estate in general. “very expensive home” is just a sub-set of real estates. Thus, D does not help.

(E) Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes.
Correct. E shows the reason why consumers who have certain conditions cannot buy homes.

Hope it helps.
_________________
Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 11
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2013, 01:27
pqhai wrote:
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Such uncertainties as fast changing market, single, and changing jobs discourage these young professionals from buying a home.
Fact: When settled with a spouse and a stable job, these young professionals generally choose to buy real estate.
Fact: Surprisingly, in cities where the industry and market are quite stable, young working professionals are still not buying, even though they are not changing jobs and may already be settled down in a spousal relationship.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

(A) Stable markets do not themselves entice working professionals to buy real estate rather than to rent it.
Wrong. Sounds tempting but incorrect. “Do not entice to buy more than to rent” means customers actually BUY real estates, but the number of homes sold do not overcome that of home rent. Thus, A does not help to explain why customers do NOT buy real estates.

(B) Brokers readily connect for-sale-homes with working professionals who have stable jobs and are in spousal relationships.
Wrong. Do not explain why customers do NOT buy real estates.

(C) The stability of industries varies widely from city to city.
Wrong. We do not talk about the range of variability. “Stable market” means “stable market”. That’s it. We do not care which city has industry more stable.

(D) A very expensive home can significantly decrease the ability of a working professional to fulfill his mortgage payments.
Wrong. We talk about real estate in general. “very expensive home” is just a sub-set of real estates. Thus, D does not help.

(E) Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes.
Correct. E shows the reason why consumers who have certain conditions cannot buy homes.

Hope it helps.

No where in the paragraph the real estate prices and young professionals income has been compared. So how can this be inferred that increasing down payments will cause the young professionals to not to buy new homes.
I eliminated options C, D and E after reading then and decided the best between A and B.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Joining Cranfield Sep 2014
Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2013, 22:15
raiprem123 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Such uncertainties as fast changing market, single, and changing jobs discourage these young professionals from buying a home.
Fact: When settled with a spouse and a stable job, these young professionals generally choose to buy real estate.
Fact: Surprisingly, in cities where the industry and market are quite stable, young working professionals are still not buying, even though they are not changing jobs and may already be settled down in a spousal relationship.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

(A) Stable markets do not themselves entice working professionals to buy real estate rather than to rent it.
Wrong. Sounds tempting but incorrect. “Do not entice to buy more than to rent” means customers actually BUY real estates, but the number of homes sold do not overcome that of home rent. Thus, A does not help to explain why customers do NOT buy real estates.

(B) Brokers readily connect for-sale-homes with working professionals who have stable jobs and are in spousal relationships.
Wrong. Do not explain why customers do NOT buy real estates.

(C) The stability of industries varies widely from city to city.
Wrong. We do not talk about the range of variability. “Stable market” means “stable market”. That’s it. We do not care which city has industry more stable.

(D) A very expensive home can significantly decrease the ability of a working professional to fulfill his mortgage payments.
Wrong. We talk about real estate in general. “very expensive home” is just a sub-set of real estates. Thus, D does not help.

(E) Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes.
Correct. E shows the reason why consumers who have certain conditions cannot buy homes.

Hope it helps.

No where in the paragraph the real estate prices and young professionals income has been compared. So how can this be inferred that increasing down payments will cause the young professionals to not to buy new homes.
I eliminated options C, D and E after reading then and decided the best between A and B.


You have to evaluate each choice and see the question "Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding" Now, if you carefully analyze the answer choices, you may easily delete choice B, C, D.

Since choice B does not help to understand the surprise finding, infact it is working opposite that Brokers readily connect sale homes, so this choice cannot be the answer. I hope you are clear wih choice C and D.

Now to choose from Choice A and E :- first of all choice A only talks about stable market, it does not talk about stable job, which also a criteria for investment in real estate as per the argument. The choice A is not a better choice if you carefully read choice E.

Once again read the question. The question ask to find if any of the conditions are true, that satisfies why young working and married professional is not investing in real estate while they have both stable job. The choice informs a different condition, which informs if the down payment is increased, it would certainly be difficult for young working and married professional to defer their decision to invest in real estate.

You may put yourself in the example and think for solution, you may find choice E suits the best,
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2013, 12:24
Hi,

But Passage doesn't say new home or old home ..... If their are lending constraint for new home ...young people can buy old homes .As their is no mention of only new home purchase ...Can any1 explain.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 35
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 10:26
In a fast changing market and while still single, young working professionals often change jobs and switch job locations. Such uncertainty discourages these young professionals from buying a home. When settled with a spouse and a stable job, however, these young professionals generally choose to buy real estate. Surprisingly, in cities where the industry and market are quite stable, young working professionals are still not buying, even though they are not changing jobs and may already be settled down in a spousal relationship.
Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?

here is my view on it:
Premise: Uncertainty discourages --->young professionals from buying a home.
A---- discourages----> B
or No A or less A ----> better B (Comparatively)
But conclusion says that even if uncertainty is not there (or less) ,B is still not better than before
Y?
Premise does not says only A ---discourage-->B, so their must be some other factor C, which can also discourage B.
Now we have to look for that other factor which can discourage young people from buying new home.



(A) Stable markets do not themselves entice working professionals to buy real estate rather than to rent it.
Ok, young professionals prefer to rent over buying real estate..... Hold it..
(B) Brokers readily connect for-sale-homes with working professionals who have stable jobs and are in spousal relationships. So what??? Out....
(C) The stability of industries varies widely from city to city. Out...
(D) A very expensive home can significantly decrease the ability of a working professional to fulfill his mortgage payments. It is true..but who said they can only buy expensive home..Out.
(E) Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes.
Ok...it looks on the track..Hold...

Now compare A and E,
A states professional preferred to rent over buying...
E says, Incresed down payments can discourage young professional to buy new homes (even if other uncertainties are not there).
that's what we were looking for.... :)
E wins...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2013, 17:50
Thanks for posting, but we partly agree on this one buddy. For instance, you wrote:

"E says, Increased down payments can discourage young professional to buy new homes"

But this is not what answer (E) said. Actually, answer (E) referred to "consumers" in general:

"(E) Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes."

This is the reason I think that the correct answer is misleading. It refers to a general public, the consumers, but it wants the test-taker to think that it refers to young professionals. Consumers could pretty much refer to married couples as well, don't you think? Then, this wouldn't solve the paradox, because it doesn't explain one public (young professioanls) over the other (married couple).

Does it make sense?


fnumiamisburg wrote:
In a fast changing market and while still single, young working professionals often change jobs and switch job locations. Such uncertainty discourages these young professionals from buying a home. When settled with a spouse and a stable job, however, these young professionals generally choose to buy real estate. Surprisingly, in cities where the industry and market are quite stable, young working professionals are still not buying, even though they are not changing jobs and may already be settled down in a spousal relationship.
Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?

here is my view on it:
Premise: Uncertainty discourages --->young professionals from buying a home.
A---- discourages----> B
or No A or less A ----> better B (Comparatively)
But conclusion says that even if uncertainty is not there (or less) ,B is still not better than before
Y?
Premise does not says only A ---discourage-->B, so their must be some other factor C, which can also discourage B.
Now we have to look for that other factor which can discourage young people from buying new home.



(A) Stable markets do not themselves entice working professionals to buy real estate rather than to rent it.
Ok, young professionals prefer to rent over buying real estate..... Hold it..
(B) Brokers readily connect for-sale-homes with working professionals who have stable jobs and are in spousal relationships. So what??? Out....
(C) The stability of industries varies widely from city to city. Out...
(D) A very expensive home can significantly decrease the ability of a working professional to fulfill his mortgage payments. It is true..but who said they can only buy expensive home..Out.
(E) Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes.
Ok...it looks on the track..Hold...

Now compare A and E,
A states professional preferred to rent over buying...
E says, Incresed down payments can discourage young professional to buy new homes (even if other uncertainties are not there).
that's what we were looking for.... :)
E wins...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2013, 17:57
No, this is another example of mislead by the argument:

"why young working and married professional is not investing in real estate while"

The paradox is about: Why young working professionals and married professionals adopt a different behavior when it should be the same? This is not explained when referreing to a generic consumer.



amitbharadwaj7 wrote:

You have to evaluate each choice and see the question "Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding" Now, if you carefully analyze the answer choices, you may easily delete choice B, C, D.

Since choice B does not help to understand the surprise finding, infact it is working opposite that Brokers readily connect sale homes, so this choice cannot be the answer. I hope you are clear wih choice C and D.

Now to choose from Choice A and E :- first of all choice A only talks about stable market, it does not talk about stable job, which also a criteria for investment in real estate as per the argument. The choice A is not a better choice if you carefully read choice E.

Once again read the question. The question ask to find if any of the conditions are true, that satisfies why young working and married professional is not investing in real estate while they have both stable job. The choice informs a different condition, which informs if the down payment is increased, it would certainly be difficult for young working and married professional to defer their decision to invest in real estate.

You may put yourself in the example and think for solution, you may find choice E suits the best,
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Work hard in silence, let success make the noise
Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Posts: 130
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 02:59
I marked E, but as I read the explanations above I think the question is somewhat ambiguous.
_________________
Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 24
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 05:44
E states that "Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes"

Basically it means banks in both emerging and developed markets increase the down payment... so this will make it harder for young professionals in both markets, which contradicts what the essays says. That's why I chose A

Correct me if i'm wrong
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2014
Posts: 142
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 09:17
I eliminated B and C and was stuck among A, D and E.

I agree that A means some young professionals are still buying homes and that D's expensive homes are just a subset.

This helped drive home E.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 121
GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 03:20
I don't agree with the question stem. Nowhere the correct answer choice addressees the issues specific to "such cities".
_________________
A lot needs to be learned from all of you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 May 2017
Posts: 19
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: Operations (Internet and New Media)
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 18:21
Lending Constrains that are a part of OA are nowhere mentioned in the Q.
To me, this seems just as likely as A.
Please help me understand.

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 193
Reviews Badge
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 12:52
dqtuan9627 wrote:
E states that "Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes"

Basically it means banks in both emerging and developed markets increase the down payment... so this will make it harder for young professionals in both markets, which contradicts what the essays says. That's why I chose A

Correct me if i'm wrong


Hi gmat1393, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354

I also picked A over E for same reason mentioned by dqtuan9627, Could you please advise if we both are following something different then what we need to.
_________________
______________________________
Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and help me to learn :-)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 191
In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 22:12
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Option choice A vs E.

Why is A wrong? maybe they prefer to rent more than buying.

Why is A wrong??
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 19 Sep 2017
Posts: 144
Location: United Kingdom
GPA: 3.9
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Mar 2019, 02:47
Gmatprep550 wrote:
dqtuan9627 wrote:
E states that "Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes"

Basically it means banks in both emerging and developed markets increase the down payment... so this will make it harder for young professionals in both markets, which contradicts what the essays says. That's why I chose A

Correct me if i'm wrong


Hi gmat1393, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354

I also picked A over E for same reason mentioned by dqtuan9627, Could you please advise if we both are following something different then what we need to.


Giving a try to explain what’s asked.
The question statement specifically asks about the present situation, which is of a stable city in terms of industry and market. That’s what Option E is about; the current, developed and stable, city banks. If those banks have changed their policies to lend money and have made it tough, one would not be able to buy a home even if he/she wants to.

I used POE because GMATNinja always says “We are not looking for one correct answer, but four incorrect answers”. But it took me 3 minutes to choose E over the rest 4. So, the joke’s on me.
_________________
Cheers!!

~If you do what's easy, your life will be hard. If you do what's hard, your life will be easy~

Originally posted by Doer01 on 30 Mar 2019, 02:03.
Last edited by Doer01 on 30 Mar 2019, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 193
Reviews Badge
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 02:14
1
Doer01 wrote:
Gmatprep550 wrote:
dqtuan9627 wrote:
E states that "Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes"

Basically it means banks in both emerging and developed markets increase the down payment... so this will make it harder for young professionals in both markets, which contradicts what the essays says. That's why I chose A

Correct me if i'm wrong


Hi gmat1393, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354

I also picked A over E for same reason mentioned by dqtuan9627, Could you please advise if we both are following something different then what we need to.


Giving a try to explain what’s asked.
The question statement specifically asks about the present situation, which is of a stable city in terms of industry and market. That’s what Option E is about; the current, developed and stable, city banks. If those banks have changed their policies to lend money and have made it tough, one would not be able to buy a home even if he/she wants to.

I used POE because GMATNinja always says “We are not looking for one correct answer, but four incorrect answer”. But it took me 3 minutes to choose E over the rest 4. So, the joke’s on me.



Hi,

I am getting your point but I eliminated E as it states bank have changed policies which makes difficult to buy new home but it does not state that they have made changes in policy only for people taking loan for developed and stable city. Hope you are getting my point.
_________________
______________________________
Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and help me to learn :-)
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 19 Sep 2017
Posts: 144
Location: United Kingdom
GPA: 3.9
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 02:54
1
Quote:

Hi,

I am getting your point but I eliminated E as it states bank have changed policies which makes difficult to buy new home but it does not state that they have made changes in policy only for people taking loan for developed and stable city. Hope you are getting my point.


Hi,
Indeed it does not. But does it need to? “Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes.”
If the banks have increased the down payments, it’d affect all. Whether the city/market is developed or not. Right?
Hope this helps.
_________________
Cheers!!

~If you do what's easy, your life will be hard. If you do what's hard, your life will be easy~
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 193
Reviews Badge
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 05:31
Found my mistake, thanks !!

Doer01 wrote:
Quote:

Hi,

I am getting your point but I eliminated E as it states bank have changed policies which makes difficult to buy new home but it does not state that they have made changes in policy only for people taking loan for developed and stable city. Hope you are getting my point.


Hi,
Indeed it does not. But does it need to? “Due to lending constraints, banks have increased the down payments required for consumers to obtain mortgages for new homes.”
If the banks have increased the down payments, it’d affect all. Whether the city/market is developed or not. Right?
Hope this helps.

_________________
______________________________
Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and help me to learn :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a fast changing market and while still single   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2019, 05:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a fast changing market and while still single

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne