Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619032 [9]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22054 [3]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: IESE '22
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1025 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: In a group of 10 people, the median height is 70 inches, the average [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
In a group of 10 people, the median height is 70 inches, the average (arithmetic mean) height is 70.5 inches, and the range of the heights is 12 inches. If an additional person who is 74 inches tall joins the group, which of the three statistics must change?

A. Average only
B. Median only
C. Range only
D. Average and median
E. Average and range

Explanation:

Median for 10 people = 70
Means 2 person in the middle is having average = 70
So it can be same height also, i.e. 70, 70 or more values
as another person with Height 74 is added in a group of 10 people, so Median will be 6th person in the group when the height is in ascending.
So it can be or cannot be changed.

The average must be changed.

Range, Highest - lowest in Height, will not be affected.

IMO-A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: In a group of 10 people, the median height is 70 inches, the average [#permalink]
This is my reasoning, please correct me if I am wrong! :)

In a set of a odd number of integers the median will always be an integers as the middle number will be an integer, hence the median can not stay the same if it started out as a rational (70,5). The average must change unless the added number happens to correspond to the current average, in this question that is NOT the case, as such the average needs to change. As no alternative includes all three alternatives we need not consider the range. The range only has to change if the extreme values changes, in this case we do not have any information that regarding the extreme values thus we can not with certainty say that the range has changes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Send PM
Since mean and median are different, so we know that this is NOT an evenly spaced set.

There are 10 people

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, we know that the range is 12 so the smallest term is X and the largest term is X+12.

Median = \(\frac{a_5 + a_6}{2} = 70\)

=\(a_5 + a_6 = 140\)

We take \(a_5\) and \(a_6\) as close as possible so we get \(a_5 = a_6 = 70\)

Our set as of now looks like

_ _ _ _ 70 70 _ _ _ _

When 74 is added the median changes from \(\frac{a_5 + a_6}{2}\) to \(a_6 = 70\)

The median remains the same, but since a new term is added , which is far away from 70.5 , the average will change. We need to check if the range changes or not because if (smallest integer < 74 < greatest integer), then the range remains same else the range changes as well.

We are given that the average = 70.5 so Sum = 705 \((70.5 \times 10)\)

Now we need to take 2 integers such that there is a difference of 12 between the two. Let's take the two integers as 64 and 76.

Till here, our set looks like

64 _ _ _ 70 70 _ _ _ 76

Let's maximize the value of 76 so that our set looks like

64 _ _ _ 70 70 76 76 76 76

We need to fill the 3 gaps and the remaining sum is \(705 - 76 \times 4 - 140 - 64 = 197\)
We will distribute 197 in the remaining three gaps such that each number is less than 69.

64 65 65 67 70 70 76 76 76 76

Now, if we add 74 to this set, the updated set becomes

64 65 65 67 70 70 74 76 76 76 76

The median, range remains same but the average changes.

Now, is it possible to take a number outside the range.

What if our set is

61 _ _ _ 70 70 _ _ _ 73

In this case is it possible to reach the sum 705? Let's check, we maximize the values so that our set looks like

61 70 70 70 70 70 73 73 73 73

The sum of this set becomes 703 so we need 2 extra and the way to do that is changing our smallest integer to 62 and largest integer as 74.
Now, when we add another 74 to the list the range will not change.

Hence, only the average changes.

OA, A

Bunuel wrote:
In a group of 10 people, the median height is 70 inches, the average (arithmetic mean) height is 70.5 inches, and the range of the heights is 12 inches. If an additional person who is 74 inches tall joins the group, which of the three statistics must change?

A. Average only
B. Median only
C. Range only
D. Average and median
E. Average and range
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
In a group of 10 people, the median height is 70 inches, the average [#permalink]

Statistic question

Let's go in order.
The median does not necessarily changes as element 6 and element 7 could be identical.
The average must change since the new element introduced is higher than the original average.
Lastly, the range could also not chance as the highest element possible is higher than 74.

POE:

A. Average only
B. Median only
C. Range only
D. Average and median
E. Average and range[/quote]
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts