GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 08:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a race with 10 competitors, the first-place finisher receives a gol

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
In a race with 10 competitors, the first-place finisher receives a gol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jun 2011, 22:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:52) correct 26% (01:05) wrong based on 234 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a race with 10 competitors, the first-place finisher receives a gold medal, the second-place finisher receives a silver medal, and the third-place finisher receives a bronze medal. If there are no ties, in how many different ways may these three medals be awarded?

Originally posted by siddhans on 19 Jun 2011, 15:18.
Last edited by siddhans on 20 Jun 2011, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Re: In a race with 10 competitors, the first-place finisher receives a gol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 19:10
Well in this case since there are 3 positions and they can be taken by 3 persons only ,so order matters over here .For gold there are 10 choices ,for silver 9 remain (one who got gold cannot be given silver) and for bronze 8 choices remain.
So total possibilities=10*9*8
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: In a race with 10 competitors, the first-place finisher receives a gol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 10:29
If From 10 people, we need to pick 3 medal winners --> Just picking hence no need of order

But in these 3 medal winners, gold, silver and bronze is unique--> hence order matters
so it is permutations

10P3 is answer = 10 x 9 x 8 = 720
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 10:43
siddhans wrote:
Explain in detail... When does order matter ? How do we know that? and when order of selection doesnt matter? I always get confused...

In a race with 10 competitors, the first-place finisher receives a gold medal, the second-place finisher receives a silver medal, and the third-place finisher receives a bronze medal. If there are no ties, in how many different ways may these three medals be awarded?

Here the order matters. Why?

Say there are 3 competitors, A, B, C for 2 medals: Gold(G) & Silver(S)

Winners can be:
G S
---
A B
B A
A C
C A
B C
C B

"A" winning the Gold medal & B winning the silver is different from "B" winning the gold & "A" winning the silver. Thus both scenario should be considered.
A B
B A

So, you choose 2 people out of 3 and rearrange them in 2! way.

\(C^3_2*2!=6\)

Likewise, if there are 10 people; you choose 3 winners first i.e. \(C^{10}_3\)
And then re-arrange those 3!.
Total = \(C^{10}_3*3!=720\)

If someone says make 2 teams from 3 people A, B, C, then \(C^3_2\) suffices.

Note:
Having a team that contains A and B
IS NO DIFFERENT FROM
Having a team that contains B and A

Thus, order won't matter there.

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 11:55
we have 10 people and three medals.

so these three medals can be considered as three slots to fill.

one slot is Gold,one slot is Silver and last slot is Bronze.

Order matters here why,
if we seat one person in one place that gives one arrangement and if we re arrange this it gives a different arrangement (eg - Person1 sitting in Gold slot vs Person sitting in Bronze slot - different arrangements. hence order matters).

So its permutations and number of arrangements = 10*9*8 = 720
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 06:39
I too get confused many times with order. good Question
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 10:49
siddhans wrote:
Explain in detail... When does order matter ? How do we know that? and when order of selection doesnt matter? I always get confused...

A 35
B 120
C 720
D 840
E 604,800

Total Competitors =10
ways of selecting the Gold medal winner = 10 ways (we can select anyone)
ways of selecting the Silver medal winner = 9 ways (we can select anyone but not the Gold medal winner)
ways of selecting the Bronze medal winner = 8 ways (we can select anyone but not the 2 winners already choosen)

so total no of ways will be = 10 x 9 x 8 = 720

hope this helps...... :) :)
see my Test exp here http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-test-experience-111610.html
do not hesitate me giving kudos if you like my post. :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 10:25
When I first read the topic, I thought GMAT Club was having some competition about solving MGMAT ps questions for 10 people and they were awarding medals. Then I read the post and thought, "why do these competition rules have numbers at the bottom?" *smacks head.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2011, 07:51
imerial wrote:
When I first read the topic, I thought GMAT Club was having some competition about solving MGMAT ps questions for 10 people and they were awarding medals. Then I read the post and thought, "why do these competition rules have numbers at the bottom?" *smacks head.

I thought the same. :P
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 15:36
don't fall into trap of using anagram grid:
10!/3!7!=120. this is wrong, because we are not looking in how many orders can the medals be distributed
but we are looking for number of ways winners can get their medals, so simple permutation is fine

10!/7!=8*9*10=720
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 11:56
siddhans wrote:

This problem can be solved in two ways.

First realize that the number of ways to award a first place medal is 10 because there are 10 entrants.

The total number of possibilities to award a second place medal is 9 because there are 9 remaining participants.

Lastly, the total number of ways to award a third place medal is 8 because there are 8 remaining runners after the first two medals have been awarded.

10*9*8 = 720.

Alternatively, using combinatorics, you can realize that there are 10! ways to arrange the 10 racers. But you've over-counted, so you need to remove the 7! racers who are all collectively "losers." Their order doesn't matter since they are in the group together.

10!/7! = 720.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 00:31
the answer must be C , actually here the order does matter means whoever comes first will be awarded the gold and so on , so order matter . now we have 10*9*8=720 ways to choose for subsequent outcomes
hence C
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 16:28
siddhans wrote:

Since there are 10 competitors and three positions in which they can place, the number of ways the medals can be awarded is 10P3 = 10 x 9 x 8 = 720.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 10:29
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In a race with 10 competitors, the first-place finisher receives a gol   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 10:29

In a race with 10 competitors, the first-place finisher receives a gol

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics