GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 08:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
P
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done!!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 1116
Location: India
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 13:38
2
Top Contributor
2
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 222 sessions

60% (03:24) correct 40% (03:12) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 216 sessions

83% (00:44) correct 17% (01:05) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 208 sessions

55% (01:13) correct 45% (01:10) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 204 sessions

18% (01:37) correct 82% (01:23) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 186 sessions

78% (01:12) correct 22% (01:06) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 188 sessions

70% (00:58) correct 30% (00:59) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 175 sessions

84% (00:57) correct 16% (01:07) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Quote:
Part of New RC Series- Please check this link for more questions


In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics workers in Buchon city, south Korea, traveled to the United States in order to demand just settlement of their claims from the parent company of their employers, who upon the formation of the union had shut down operations without paying the workers. From the beginning, the union cause was championed by an unprecedented coalition of Korean American groups and deeply affected the Korean American community on several levels.

First, it served as a rallying focus for a diverse community often divided by generation, class and political ideologies. Most notably, the Pico cause mobilized many young second-generation Korean Americans, many of whom had never been part of a political campaign before, let alone one involving Korean issues. Members of this generation, unlike first-generation Korean Americans, generally fall within the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community and often feel alienated from their Korean roots. In addition to raising the political consciousness of young Korean Americans, the Pico struggle sparked among them new interest in their cultural identity. The Pico workers also suggested new roles that can be played by recent immigrants, particularly working-class immigrants. These immigrants’ knowledge of working conditions overseas can help to globalize the perspective of their communities and can help to establish international ties on a more personal level, as witnessed in the especially warm exchange between the Pico workers and recent working-class immigrants from China. In addition to broadening the political base within the Korean American community, the Pico struggle also led to new alliances between the Korean American community and progressive labor and social justice groups within the larger society—as evidenced in the support received from the Coalition of Labor Union Women and leading African American unionists.

The reasons for these effects lie in the nature of the cause. The issues raised by the Pico unionists had such a strong human component that differences within the community became secondary to larger concerns for social justice and workers’ rights. The workers’ demands for compensation and respect were unencumbered with strong ideological trappings. The economic exploitation faced by the Pico workers underscored the common interests of Korean workers, Korean Americans, the working class more inclusively, and a broad spectrum of community leaders.

The Pico workers’ campaign thus offers an important lesson. It demonstrates that ethnic communities need more than just a knowledge of history and culture as artifacts of the past in order to strengthen their ethnic identity. It shows that perhaps the most effective means of empowerment for many ethnic communities of immigrant derivation may be an identification with and participation in current struggles for economic and social justice in their countries of origin.


1. Which one of the following best describes the main topic of the passage?
(A) the contribution of the Korean American community to improving the working conditions of Koreans employed by United States companies
(B) the change brought about in the Korean American community by contacts with Koreans visiting the United States
(C) the contribution of recent immigrants from Korea to strengthening ethnic identity in the Korean American community
(D) the effects on the Korean American community of a dispute between Korean union workers and a United States company
(E) the effect of the politicization of second-generation Korean Americans on the Korean American community as a whole


2. The passage suggests that which one of the following was a significant factor in the decision to shut down the Pico plant in Buchon City?
(A) the decreasing profitability of maintaining operations in Korea
(B) the failure to resolve long-standing disputes between the Pico workers and management
(C) the creation of a union by the Pico workers
(D) the withholding of workers’ wages by the parent company
(E) the finding of an alternate site for operations


3. Which one of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage as a recent development in the Korean American community?
(A) Young second-generation Korean Americans have begun to take an interest in their Korean heritage.
(B) Recent Korean American immigrants of working-class backgrounds have begun to enter the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community.
(C) Korean Americans have developed closer ties with activist groups from other sectors of the population.
(D) Previously nonpolitical members of the Korean American community have become more politically active.
(E) The Korean American community has been able to set aside political and generational disparities in order to support a common cause.


4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would most likely agree with which one of the following statements about ethnic communities of immigrant derivation?
(A) Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin.
(B) Such communities should focus primarily on promoting study of the history and culture of their people in order to strengthen their ethnic identity.
(C) Such communities can most successfully mobilize and politicize their young people by addressing the problems of young people of all backgrounds.
(D) The more privileged sectors of such communities are most likely to maintain a sense of closeness to their cultural roots.
(E) The politicization of such a community is unlikely to affect relations with other groups within the larger society.


5. In the second paragraph, the author refers to immigrants from China most probably in order to do which one of the following?
(A) highlight the contrast between working conditions in the United States and in Korea
(B) demonstrate the uniqueness of the problem faced by the Pico workers
(C) offer an example of the type of role that can be played by recent working-class immigrants
(D) provide an analogy for the type of activism displayed by the Korean American community
(E) compare the disparate responses of two immigrant communities to similar problems


6. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) describe recent developments in the Korean American community that have strongly affected other ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(B) describe a situation in the Korean American community that presents a model for the empowerment of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(C) detail the problems faced by the Korean American community in order to illustrate the need for the empowerment of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(D) argue against economic and social injustice in the countries of origin of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(E) assess the impact of the unionization movement on ethnic communities of immigrant derivation


7. Which one of the following most accurately states the function of the third paragraph?
(A) It explains why the Pico workers brought their cause to the United States.
(B) It explains how the Pico cause differed from other causes that had previously mobilized the Korean American community.
(C) It explains why the Pico workers were accorded such broad support.
(D) It explains how other ethnic groups of immigrant derivation in the United States have profited from the example of the Pico workers.
(E) It explains why different generations of Korean Americans reacted in different ways to the Pico cause.



_________________

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Schools: AGSM '18
Premium Member
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 18:39
1
Can anyone explain Q4 please?

I chose A:
(A) Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin.
The passage states:
"It shows that perhaps the most effective means of empowerment for many ethnic communities of immigrant derivation may be an identification with and participation in current struggles for economic and social justice in their countries of origin."
Hence, maintaining ties with countries of origin -> empowerment for ethnic communities = benefit.

(D) The more privileged sectors of such communities are most likely to maintain a sense of closeness to their cultural roots.
Privileged sectors of communities maintain a sense of closeness to cultural roots, but I what are the benefits?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Status: EAT SLEEP GMAT REPEAT!
Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 170
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 21:02
Gnpth wrote:
Quote:
Part of New RC Series- Please check this link for more questions


In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics workers in Buchon city, south Korea, traveled to the United States in order to demand just settlement of their claims from the parent company of their employers, who upon the formation of the union had shut down operations without paying the workers. From the beginning, the union cause was championed by an unprecedented coalition of Korean American groups and deeply affected the Korean American community on several levels.

First, it served as a rallying focus for a diverse community often divided by generation, class and political ideologies. Most notably, the Pico cause mobilized many young second-generation Korean Americans, many of whom had never been part of a political campaign before, let alone one involving Korean issues. Members of this generation, unlike first-generation Korean Americans, generally fall within the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community and often feel alienated from their Korean roots. In addition to raising the political consciousness of young Korean Americans, the Pico struggle sparked among them new interest in their cultural identity. The Pico workers also suggested new roles that can be played by recent immigrants, particularly working-class immigrants. These immigrants’ knowledge of working conditions overseas can help to globalize the perspective of their communities and can help to establish international ties on a more personal level, as witnessed in the especially warm exchange between the Pico workers and recent working-class immigrants from China. In addition to broadening the political base within the Korean American community, the Pico struggle also led to new alliances between the Korean American community and progressive labor and social justice groups within the larger society—as evidenced in the support received from the Coalition of Labor Union Women and leading African American unionists.

The reasons for these effects lie in the nature of the cause. The issues raised by the Pico unionists had such a strong human component that differences within the community became secondary to larger concerns for social justice and workers’ rights. The workers’ demands for compensation and respect were unencumbered with strong ideological trappings. The economic exploitation faced by the Pico workers underscored the common interests of Korean workers, Korean Americans, the working class more inclusively, and a broad spectrum of community leaders.

The Pico workers’ campaign thus offers an important lesson. It demonstrates that ethnic communities need more than just a knowledge of history and culture as artifacts of the past in order to strengthen their ethnic identity. It shows that perhaps the most effective means of empowerment for many ethnic communities of immigrant derivation may be an identification with and participation in current struggles for economic and social justice in their countries of origin.


1. Which one of the following best describes the main topic of the passage?
(A) the contribution of the Korean American community to improving the working conditions of Koreans employed by United States companies
(B) the change brought about in the Korean American community by contacts with Koreans visiting the United States
(C) the contribution of recent immigrants from Korea to strengthening ethnic identity in the Korean American community
(D) the effects on the Korean American community of a dispute between Korean union workers and a United States company
(E) the effect of the politicization of second-generation Korean Americans on the Korean American community as a whole


2. The passage suggests that which one of the following was a significant factor in the decision to shut down the Pico plant in Buchon City?
(A) the decreasing profitability of maintaining operations in Korea
(B) the failure to resolve long-standing disputes between the Pico workers and management
(C) the creation of a union by the Pico workers
(D) the withholding of workers’ wages by the parent company
(E) the finding of an alternate site for operations


3. Which one of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage as a recent development in the Korean American community?
(A) Young second-generation Korean Americans have begun to take an interest in their Korean heritage.
(B) Recent Korean American immigrants of working-class backgrounds have begun to enter the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community.
(C) Korean Americans have developed closer ties with activist groups from other sectors of the population.
(D) Previously nonpolitical members of the Korean American community have become more politically active.
(E) The Korean American community has been able to set aside political and generational disparities in order to support a common cause.


4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would most likely agree with which one of the following statements about ethnic communities of immigrant derivation?
(A) Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin.
(B) Such communities should focus primarily on promoting study of the history and culture of their people in order to strengthen their ethnic identity.
(C) Such communities can most successfully mobilize and politicize their young people by addressing the problems of young people of all backgrounds.
(D) The more privileged sectors of such communities are most likely to maintain a sense of closeness to their cultural roots.
(E) The politicization of such a community is unlikely to affect relations with other groups within the larger society.


5. In the second paragraph, the author refers to immigrants from China most probably in order to do which one of the following?
(A) highlight the contrast between working conditions in the United States and in Korea
(B) demonstrate the uniqueness of the problem faced by the Pico workers
(C) offer an example of the type of role that can be played by recent working-class immigrants
(D) provide an analogy for the type of activism displayed by the Korean American community
(E) compare the disparate responses of two immigrant communities to similar problems


6. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) describe recent developments in the Korean American community that have strongly affected other ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(B) describe a situation in the Korean American community that presents a model for the empowerment of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(C) detail the problems faced by the Korean American community in order to illustrate the need for the empowerment of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(D) argue against economic and social injustice in the countries of origin of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(E) assess the impact of the unionization movement on ethnic communities of immigrant derivation


7. Which one of the following most accurately states the function of the third paragraph?
(A) It explains why the Pico workers brought their cause to the United States.
(B) It explains how the Pico cause differed from other causes that had previously mobilized the Korean American community.
(C) It explains why the Pico workers were accorded such broad support.
(D) It explains how other ethnic groups of immigrant derivation in the United States have profited from the example of the Pico workers.
(E) It explains why different generations of Korean Americans reacted in different ways to the Pico cause.




Hi Gnpth

Can you please check the OA for question 4.
It is mentioned differently in both places.Please correct it

I think that A is the correct choice.

Thanks!
_________________

Regards,
Adi

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1267
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 00:10
True,

It can't be D by any means IMO. A seems correct.

Hopefully moderators will clear the air soon.

QZ
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2018
Posts: 38
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 20:24
5/7 11 minutes. What a disaster. Will GMAT ever have such long passages ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Dec 2016
Posts: 14
CAT Tests
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 02:27
Hello,

I have a query with respect to Q3:

Is B the answer because the answer choice says "Recent Korean American immigrants of working-class background" and not "Young second-generation Korean Americans"?

Thanks,
Shruti
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Posts: 48
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 02:18
1. Which one of the following best describes the main topic of the passage?
(A) the contribution of the Korean American community to improving the working conditions of Koreans employed by United States companies not given
(B) the change brought about in the Korean American community by contacts with Koreans visiting the United States too broad: not the contacts, but the struggle, or unfairness, brought about the closer ties
(C) the contribution of recent immigrants from Korea to strengthening ethnic identity in the Korean American community the workers were just visiting when that happen
(D) the effects on the Korean American community of a dispute between Korean union workers and a United States company correct
(E) the effect of the politicization of second-generation Korean Americans on the Korean American community as a whole that's only one of the effects

2. The passage suggests that which one of the following was a significant factor in the decision to shut down the Pico plant in Buchon City? Relevant text: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics workers in Buchon city, south Korea, traveled to the United States in order to demand just settlement of their claims from the parent company of their employers, who upon the formation of the union had shut down operations without paying the workers.
(A) the decreasing profitability of maintaining operations in Korea not given
(B) the failure to resolve long-standing disputes between the Pico workers and management not given
(C) the creation of a union by the Pico workers correct
(D) the withholding of workers’ wages by the parent company that is what came next after the closure
(E) the finding of an alternate site for operations not given

3. Which one of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage as a recent development in the Korean American community?
(A) Young second-generation Korean Americans have begun to take an interest in their Korean heritage. In addition to raising the political consciousness of young Korean Americans, the Pico struggle sparked among them new interest in their cultural identity.
(B) Recent Korean American immigrants of working-class backgrounds have begun to enter the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community. "Members of this generation, unlike first-generation Korean Americans, generally fall within the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community and often feel alienated from their Korean roots." - no facts about the movement within social classes
(C) Korean Americans have developed closer ties with activist groups from other sectors of the population. <...>as witnessed in the especially warm exchange between the Pico workers and recent working-class immigrants from China.
(D) Previously nonpolitical members of the Korean American community have become more politically active. Most notably, the Pico cause mobilized many young second-generation Korean Americans, many of whom had never been part of a political campaign before <...>
(E) The Korean American community has been able to set aside political and generational disparities in order to support a common cause. In addition to broadening the political base within the Korean American community, the Pico struggle also led to new alliances between the Korean American community and progressive labor and social justice groups within the larger society <...>

4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would most likely agree with which one of the following statements about ethnic communities of immigrant derivation? not sure - A seems the right one?
(A) Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin. basically the whole second passage
(B) Such communities should focus primarily on promoting study of the history and culture of their people in order to strengthen their ethnic identity. the author: the most effective means of empowerment for many ethnic communities of immigrant derivation may be an identification with and participation in current struggles for economic and social justice in their countries of origin.
(C) Such communities can most successfully mobilize and politicize their young people by addressing the problems of young people of all backgrounds. too strong and too narrow in scope
(D) The more privileged sectors of such communities are most likely to maintain a sense of closeness to their cultural roots. Members of this generation, unlike first-generation Korean Americans, generally fall within the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community and often feel alienated from their Korean roots.
(E) The politicization of such a community is unlikely to affect relations with other groups within the larger society. Most notably, the Pico cause mobilized many young second-generation Korean Americans, many of whom had never been part of a political campaign before <...> In addition to broadening the political base within the Korean American community, the Pico struggle also led to new alliances between the Korean American community and progressive labor and social justice groups within the larger society

5. In the second paragraph, the author refers to immigrants from China most probably in order to do which one of the following? The Pico workers also suggested new roles that can be played by recent immigrants, particularly working-class immigrants. These immigrants’ knowledge of working conditions overseas can help to globalize the perspective of their communities and can help to establish international ties on a more personal level, as witnessed in the especially warm exchange between the Pico workers and recent working-class immigrants from China.
(A) highlight the contrast between working conditions in the United States and in Korea
(B) demonstrate the uniqueness of the problem faced by the Pico workers
(C) offer an example of the type of role that can be played by recent working-class immigrants correct
(D) provide an analogy for the type of activism displayed by the Korean American community
(E) compare the disparate responses of two immigrant communities to similar problems

6. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) describe recent developments in the Korean American community that have strongly affected other ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(B) describe a situation in the Korean American community that presents a model for the empowerment of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation It shows that perhaps the most effective means of empowerment for many ethnic communities of immigrant derivation may be an identification with and participation in current struggles for economic and social justice in their countries of origin. - correct
(C) detail the problems faced by the Korean American community in order to illustrate the need for the empowerment of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(D) argue against economic and social injustice in the countries of origin of ethnic communities of immigrant derivation
(E) assess the impact of the unionization movement on ethnic communities of immigrant derivation

7. Which one of the following most accurately states the function of the third paragraph? Relevant text: The reasons for these effects lie in the nature of the cause.
(A) It explains why the Pico workers brought their cause to the United States. they came for the withhold wages, but the result of this struggle was much broader
(B) It explains how the Pico cause differed from other causes that had previously mobilized the Korean American community. no such contrast is give
(C) It explains why the Pico workers were accorded such broad support. correct
(D) It explains how other ethnic groups of immigrant derivation in the United States have profited from the example of the Pico workers. the author merely says that this example could be a model, but not that it is and has benefited other ethnic groups
(E) It explains why different generations of Korean Americans reacted in different ways to the Pico cause. too narrow
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 152
CAT Tests
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 21:19
1
VeritasKarishma gmatexam439 workout aragonn nightblade354

CrackVerbalGMAT

The answer should be A for the below mentioned question. OA is given as D.
But option D,according to me, is extreme. Please help !!


Quote:
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would most likely agree with which one of the following statements about ethnic communities of immigrant derivation?
(A) Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin.
(B) Such communities should focus primarily on promoting study of the history and culture of their people in order to strengthen their ethnic identity.
(C) Such communities can most successfully mobilize and politicize their young people by addressing the problems of young people of all backgrounds.
(D) The more privileged sectors of such communities are most likely to maintain a sense of closeness to their cultural roots.
(E) The politicization of such a community is unlikely to affect relations with other groups within the larger society.

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8399
Location: Pune, India
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 23:50
2
warrior1991 wrote:
VeritasKarishma gmatexam439 workout aragonn nightblade354

CrackVerbalGMAT

The answer should be A for the below mentioned question. OA is given as D.
But option D,according to me, is extreme. Please help !!


Quote:
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would most likely agree with which one of the following statements about ethnic communities of immigrant derivation?
(A) Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin.
(B) Such communities should focus primarily on promoting study of the history and culture of their people in order to strengthen their ethnic identity.
(C) Such communities can most successfully mobilize and politicize their young people by addressing the problems of young people of all backgrounds.
(D) The more privileged sectors of such communities are most likely to maintain a sense of closeness to their cultural roots.
(E) The politicization of such a community is unlikely to affect relations with other groups within the larger society.


The answer to this question is (A) and is marked as (A) in the original attachment. The spoiler erroneously mentions it as (D).

(D) is not extreme, it is false.
"Members of this generation, unlike first-generation Korean Americans, generally fall within the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community and often feel alienated from their Korean roots."
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 152
CAT Tests
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 01:25
VeritasKarishma wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
VeritasKarishma gmatexam439 workout aragonn nightblade354

CrackVerbalGMAT

The answer should be A for the below mentioned question. OA is given as D.
But option D,according to me, is extreme. Please help !!


Quote:
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would most likely agree with which one of the following statements about ethnic communities of immigrant derivation?
(A) Such communities can derive important benefits from maintaining ties with their countries of origin.
(B) Such communities should focus primarily on promoting study of the history and culture of their people in order to strengthen their ethnic identity.
(C) Such communities can most successfully mobilize and politicize their young people by addressing the problems of young people of all backgrounds.
(D) The more privileged sectors of such communities are most likely to maintain a sense of closeness to their cultural roots.
(E) The politicization of such a community is unlikely to affect relations with other groups within the larger society.


The answer to this question is (A) and is marked as (A) in the original attachment. The spoiler erroneously mentions it as (D).

(D) is not extreme, it is false.
"Members of this generation, unlike first-generation Korean Americans, generally fall within the more privileged sectors of the Korean American community and often feel alienated from their Korean roots."


Thank you yet again!! I missed this word "alienated" in particular. :)
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 390
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 03:29
The OA for number four is (A) and the script says it is (A), but it appears as (D). I'll look into this further!

-- Mod Nightblade
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 03:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In April 1990 representatives of the Pico Korea Union of electronics

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.