It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 70

CAT Tests
Re: In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 22:14
daagh wrote:
The first thing to point out is that 'which' cannot follow managers; so whether it includes three people or one person, 'which' can only modify the group. However, in the 'approaches' case, which can logically refer to the multitude of approaches stated there, thus, faithfully subscribing to the touch rule of "which".

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of the price of oil, oil companies operating in the North Sea have taken a variety of approaches, which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently from smaller fields, and finding innovative ways to cut the cost of building and operating platforms.
A. which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
B. which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil
C. which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
D. which include the reduction of employment, their using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
E. including a reduction of employment, their use of new technology to be more efficient at pumping oil

Hi Sir,
I know that proportion of x/fraction of x/percentage of x, although these words look singluar, they take plural forms. Example- proportion of women work/ one-third of all the students are chinese. So, here, can we say that a variety of approaches (X) always take plural form.
Also, I fail to understand that in the correct choice c- which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil, are we talking about approaches or the variatons in approaches. I am having a hard time to eliminate options a

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests
Re: In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 22:23
KevinRocci wrote:
kunaljain1701 wrote:
can u pls explain why variety of approaches needs a plural - include ?? subject of verb include is singular word -vareity and not plural word - approaches ; then y r we using include in the answer ?

Howdy Kunal,

I think EducationAisle did a nice job of explaining why we use "include" instead of "includes." Although it may appear like the "which" modifies "variety," it is actually modifying "approaches." I think this should make sense if you think about it logically. If you look at the list of the things after the "which," do they describe "variety?" Can those things modify and explain "variety?" Or does it make more sense for the list of things to describe "approaches?" It makes more sense that they items listed are explaining and giving further detail about "approaches" and not about "variety."

Does that make sense?

Hope so! Happy studying and best of luck! :D

Cheers,

Hi Kevin,

I know that a proportion of X/ percentage of X/ fraction of X- all these take plural forms. Example- proportion of women work. / X Percentage of students are all Cjinese.
So, for a variety of approaches, can we assume that a variety of X always take plural forms.

Re: In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2017, 22:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap