It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 125 [2], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39
In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2014, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:35) correct 16% (00:33) wrong based on 1032 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of the price of oil, oil companies operating in the North Sea have taken a variety of approaches, which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently from smaller fields, and finding innovative ways to cut the cost of building and operating platforms.

(A) which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
(B) which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil
(C) which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
(D) which include the reduction of employment, their using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
(E) including a reduction of employment, their use of new technology to be more efficient at pumping oil

Posting here, because other post does not have either OA or source.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 125 [2], given: 2405

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 178 [4], given: 28

Re: In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2014, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TooLong150 wrote:
In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of the price of oil, oil companies operating in the North Sea have taken a variety of approaches, which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently from smaller fields, and finding innovative ways to cut the cost of building and operating platforms.

(A) which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
(B) which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil
(C) which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
(D) which include the reduction of employment, their using new technology to pump oil more efficiently
(E) including a reduction of employment, their use of new technology to be more efficient at pumping oil

Some good things to notice in this question:

• We are dealing with parallelism in a modifying phrase. List of things should send up a red flag to think about parallelism.
  • The key to knowing what the structure of our list should be is outside of the underlined portion.
  • The word "includes" is not plural. We only use "includes" for third person present. Is this third person here?

Follow these tips to the right answer! :)

Let me know if I can help! :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 178 [4], given: 28

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2014, 03:35
Hi kevin,
can u pls explain why variety of approaches needs a plural - include ??

subject of verb include is singular word -vareity and not plural word - approaches ; then y r we using include in the answer ?

pls help !! :?

kunal

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 322 [1], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2014, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kunaljain1701 wrote:
subject of verb include is singular word -vareity and not plural word - approaches ; then y r we using include in the answer ?

which modifies the nearest grammatically eligible word. In C, that word is approaches. So, for the relative clause: which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently from smaller fields, the subject is approaches.

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses which modifiers, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 322 [1], given: 12

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2014, 13:45
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kunaljain1701 wrote:
can u pls explain why variety of approaches needs a plural - include ?? subject of verb include is singular word -vareity and not plural word - approaches ; then y r we using include in the answer ?

Howdy Kunal,

I think EducationAisle did a nice job of explaining why we use "include" instead of "includes." Although it may appear like the "which" modifies "variety," it is actually modifying "approaches." I think this should make sense if you think about it logically. If you look at the list of the things after the "which," do they describe "variety?" Can those things modify and explain "variety?" Or does it make more sense for the list of things to describe "approaches?" It makes more sense that they items listed are explaining and giving further detail about "approaches" and not about "variety."

Does that make sense?

Hope so! Happy studying and best of luck! :D

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 28

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 13:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 06:58
I have a question based on this question:

Which of the following would be correct -

- have taken a group of managers, which include John, Ben, and Steve.

managers is plural and it provides a list, so it is very apparent that include should be in the plural form, but what about:

- have taken a group of managers, which includes John.

John is one person, so would the correct word be includes or would it still be include because managers is plural?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 12:55
clearly C.

include (plural for approaches)
which include.....,using..., and finding(parallelism)

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 21:50
TooLong150 wrote:

hard.
approached each can include.
this is logic
but for some problem on og, "noun which includes " is not logic because that specific noun can not take action of "include" logically. I think this one is cheating.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 23:06
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is C ,

2 main issues
Verb agreement
Parallelism

Approaches will need a plural verb include which rules out choices , A,B and E.

Between C and D , C has the correct parallel strucutre

Best Regards,
Ashwini

Kudos if it was helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 07:29
Travy wrote:

managers is plural and it provides a list, so it is very apparent that include should be in the plural form, but what about:

John is one person, so would the correct word be includes or would it still be include because managers is plural?

Can someone comment on the question I have based on the original question? - Thanks

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 07:40
Travy wrote:

Group is the subject for both. GROUP includes.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 06:51
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Travy wrote:

Group is the subject for both. GROUP includes.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com

Oh my god, i want to kill myself because of this dilemma.
As you said "GROUP includes", so why "...a variety of approaches, which INCLUDE...", in that INCLUDE takes plural?
Many thanks for anyone could help me. Cheers.

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1115 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 08:02
TooLong150 wrote:

This question tests the correct use of Parallelism/Modifier/S-V agreement issue

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of the price of oil, oil companies
operating in the North Sea have taken a variety of approaches, which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently from smaller fields, and finding innovative ways to cut the cost of building and operating platforms.

Errors in the answer options highlighted in RED
, Correct answer must be (C)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1115 [0], given: 327

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 08:43
Abhishek009 wrote:
TooLong150 wrote:

This question tests the correct use of Parallelism/Modifier/S-V agreement issue

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of the price of oil, oil companies
operating in the North Sea have taken a variety of approaches, which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently from smaller fields, and finding innovative ways to cut the cost of building and operating platforms.

Errors in the answer options highlighted in RED
, Correct answer must be (C)

Hi,
Could you please answer my question above? Thanks so much!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 11:16
'approaches' must be followed by include. So eliminate A and B

E-eliminate because ,including should modify entire clause. Here it should modify approaches. So modifier error.

Plus the list is not parallel.

D has parallelism issue.

So clearly C.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Schools: AGSM '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 14:49

Errors: 1) includes refer to approaches => should be include; 2) their is ambiguous

With this knowledge lets go to answer choices

(A) which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently - as stated in errors;
(B) which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil - includes is incorrect as stated above
(C) which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently - correct
(D) which include the reduction of employment, their using new technology to pump oil more efficiently - non-parallel list
(E) including a reduction of employment, their use of new technology to be more efficient at pumping oil - incorrect using of modifier; implies that companies took approaches while including listed stuff

hope that this will help

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8172 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
The first thing to point out is that 'which' cannot follow managers; so whether it includes three people or one person, 'which' can only modify the group. However, in the 'approaches' case, which can logically refer to the multitude of approaches stated there, thus, faithfully subscribing to the touch rule of "which".

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8172 [1], given: 364

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1005 [0], given: 80

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 13:07

(A) which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently - includes is incorrect because which refers to approaches ; parallelism issue
(B) which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil - includes is incorrect because which refers to approaches ; parallelism issue
(C) which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently - Correct
(D) which include the reduction of employment, their using new technology to pump oil more efficiently - parallelism issue
(E) including a reduction of employment, their use of new technology to be more efficient at pumping oil - parallelism issue
Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1005 [0], given: 80

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 21:48
Another subtle problem with B is that it changes the meaning of the second item in the list" using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil" VS "using new technology to pump oil more efficiently"

First of all, the latter choice is much more precise. Also, when you use using X in doing/...ing Y , you mean to, you mean to say that X is a part of the process Y, though it is not exclusive to it. While using X to do Y means that you did X to primarily do Y. Check the examples below:

E.g.,
Matthew used nothing but Pepsi bottle caps to make his 100-foot-tall sculpture of Väinämöinen.
(i.e., the sculpture is actually made of bottle caps)

But...
Matthew, who is afraid of heights, made extensive use of meditation techniques in making his 100-foot-tall sculpture of Väinämöinen.
Here, "to make" would be wrong, because meditation plays no part in the actual construction of a sculpture. This version, on the other hand, correctly conveys the indirect contribution of meditation, presumably to counter the sculptor's fear of heights.

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 33

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2017, 21:48

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap